Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Six: Part Two
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks for the comments and so sorry for going so long without posting anything!

When we entered the room I noticed that Professor Slughorn had removed all the chairs, leaving just the tables with three tiny cauldrons positioned atop each one. We filed in, standing around towards the front of the room, the only spot big enough for everyone to stand. Once Professor Slughorn was sure that everyone was here that was supposed to be here, he closed the classroom door and scurried over to us.

"Now, I have some very exciting potions to show you today, as well as a special little contest that the winner of will be receiving a price," said Professor Slughorn, beaming out at us all excitedly.

I shot a look to Hermione out of the corner of my eye, her face already beaming with the competition thrill she always got with academic challenges. I turned my focus back to Professor Slughorn, who seemed to prefer looking at me and Harry more than anyone else in the class.

"Now, this first concoction is something that can be considered rather dangerous if wielded properly, but is quiet pleasant to those who smell it. Can anyone go ahead and tell me what it is?"

Taking a step forward Professor Slughorn removed the cover of a small cauldron sitting on the small table in front of us. Instantly wafts of whatever was inside came streaming out, filling our nostrils. Instinctively I noticed several girls near me start to lean forward slightly.

"That is amortentia," said Hermione, not even bothering to raise her hand. "It's a love potion that smells different to each person depending on what they're attracted to."

"Very good Miss Granger. Ten points for Gryffindor!"

Unlike the rest of the girls who had moved so close to the cauldron that they were practically on top of it, I remained where I was standing. I took a deep breath in, letting my own person pleasures coat the inside of my nose. I could smell the hot cocoa, like the homemade kind that my mother used to make me when I was little, mixed with the smell of summer rain, and slightly to my embarrassment the hot almost husky smell of Harry in his Quidditch robes after a Quidditch match.

"Now, generally, this potion allows the person to smell whatever they love most deeply and genuinely. Often times people will smell the smells of their soul mates, or of things that make them feel comfortable. Anyone care to share what they smell? Miss Granger?"

Hermione didn't even bother to lift her eyes from the cauldron when she answered Professor Slughorn. "I smell freshly mown glass, new parchment paper, and spearmint..."

A wave of panic shot through me as Hermione started on the last thing. To my own astonishment my panic seemed to hit Hermione, causing her to stop mid sentence and pull away from the cauldron.

"Toothpaste," she concluded, turning her head slightly to look at me.

Ron, who had been staring at Hermione, took an uneasy shift in his stance.

"Very well. Now, can anyone tell me what this is?" Professor Slughorn asked after replacing the lid back on the cauldron. He picked up a tiny tear drop shaped vial that held a thick golden substance inside of it.

"Felix Felicis," Hermione said with amazement. The quick response drew another smile out of Slughorn.

"Correct Miss Granger! Another ten points if you can tell me what it does."

"It gives you luck," said Hermione.

"Excellent!! Now, this is complete and pure luck. This is also the prize for the person in this class that is able to successfully brew the Draught of Living Death. You will find that the steps for making it are in your textbooks. Begin!"

We were all so startled to be starting class already that we stood there in a moment of shock before finally moving to the various tables. Harry, Hermione, and I took a table while Dean, Ron, and Seamus took the table right next to us.

"I'll go grab us some books from the shelf," said Harry to Ron, both of whom didn't have books. Harry came back and threw Ron the newer copy while he kept the tarnished one for himself.

"So, what did you smell?" Harry asked nonchalantly as he flipped open his book.

I shot him a sly look. "Only if you'll share."

"Of course," said Harry with a sly smile back.

"Homemade hot cocoa, summer rain, and..." I lowered my voice so only he could hear. "The smell of you in your Quidditch robes after a match."

I couldn't stop my cheeks from blushing, and much to my surprise the confession got Harry's cheeks turning a little red as well.

"So, what did you smell," I asked, refusing to let him chicken out now.

"I smelled treacle tart, a broomstick, and your smell that evening during the summer when we laid out under the stars," said Harry with a little smile.

I smiled back at him, remembering the special flowery scented spray I had used especially for that night.

"Well, it's official, the potion says we're destined," I said with a mock-defeated tone.

"Yeah, looks like we're stuck with each other," concluded Harry in the same tone.

"Darn," I said with a "shoot" snap of the fingers. "I guess my future with Draco Malfoy just got shot down huh?"

To that Harry and I couldn't help but chuckle.

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go