Thread: Character: The Phoenix - Sa13+
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wonderstruck
Gryffindor

SS Featured Writer
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jeremy Bradford
Fifth Year
Default Chapter Four: Long Awaited Dream
"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."

Thanks for the comments guys! I guess you'll just have to wait and see Connie

Harry and I filed into the Great Hall just as some of the food was starting to magically vanish from the table. We quickly took our seats at the Gryffindor table, Hermione's eyes instantly going to the bloody rag Harry was holding up to his nose to try and stop the bleeding. While I had managed to fix it with a simple charm, the bleeding still wasn't done running its course. Hermione looked like she was about to burst from curiosity as Draco soon filed in after, his body still shaking slightly as he avoided making eye contact with the people around him.

"Welcome, welcome!" said Dumbledore cheerfully as he stood up and tapped his spoon against his wine glass. Instantly the entire hall fell quiet, and all attention was on Dumbledore. His eyes twinkled from the nearby candle light as he surveyed us appreciatively.

"I hope all of you have been enjoying your feast, and I do not hope to keep you away from the food for long, but there are some announcements I need to make before we partake in some delicious desserts. First off I would like to announce that we have a new professor here at Hogwarts with us. Professor Horace Slughorn has kindly agreed to fill the position of Potions Master here at Hogwarts."

There was scattered clapping throughout the room, starting and ending in a slow and awkward rhythm as surprised whispers ran about. Hermione, Ron, Harry, and I exchanged glances with one another.

"Snape isn't going to teach Potions anymore?" said Ron in disbelief. "Then what will he be teaching?"

Before any of us got the chance to answer Ron, Professor Dumbledore resumed speaking. "And, I'd like to happily announce that Professor Snape will be filling the open position as our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!"

There was an eruption of cheers from the Slytherin table as Snape stood up and gave a rather awkward head nod towards the group of students, shooting a difficult to read glance at the Slytherins who had stood up and were yelling rather loudly.

"Well, looks like he's getting the position he's always wanted," said Hermione with a look that implied she had a gross taste in her mouth.

"Yeah, but with the track record of our Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers he'll be lucky if he makes until the end of the year," said Ginny, giving us a skeptical look.

"Good point," chimed in Seamus, giving Ginny's hand a little rub.

I was eyeing Snape as he sat back down in his chair, an odd, victorious fell streaming through his body. I knew this was a position that Snape had applied for every year as the spot frequently came available and for whatever reason this year Dumbledore decided to give in to his wishes. I turned my head to look at Dumbledore, who while I was off in my own little world had sat down and was talking joyfully with Professor McGonagall.

"Earth to Abby?" said Ron, waving his hand in front of my face. I snapped back and looked at them all. "You still with us?"

"Yeah, yeah. Just zoning off," I said with a little shrug.

"So, you going to tell us what woke you up with a startle?" asked Hermione, taking a spoonful of pudding and placing it delicately in her mouth.

"Oh, you know, just the usual," I said with another shrug.

"The usual?" said Hermione, giving me that "are you kidding?" look.

"Yeah, the usual. In case you hadn't noticed Hermione there are a lot of things to be stressed and frightened about at the moment."

Hermione stared at me for a couple of moments but decided that it was best to just let it go. We finished the rest of the dinner with Harry telling Ron and Hermione what had happened on the train. I could tell Hermione was having a hard time biting her tongue about Harry sneaking off to spy on Malfoy, but a part of her also felt kind of smug that he had been caught in the act. As much as I loved Hermione she did enjoy being right all the time, and had no problem letting you know it.

By the end of the dinner I was ready to leave and be by myself. The feel of that boy grabbing hold of my hand was still playing across my skin, even though it was Harry's hand that was now holding it as we were walking back to the Common Room. Harry could tell that something was off, but he wanted to wait until we were alone to ask me about it. Once Hermione and Ron said goodnight, and everyone else had turned in for the night, Harry and I finally had the common room to ourselves.

"So, tell me the truth, what's bugging you? Did you have another dream about that boy?" asked Harry, turning himself so that he was facing me completely.

I folded my legs pretzel style, looking into the small fire that was starting to die, before looking at him. I nodded my head.

Harry was quiet for a moment. "Was it like the other dream?" asked Harry.

"No, this one was kind of different," I said, instantly feeling myself becoming uncomfortable. Even though my mother had enjoyed how the boy made her feel, I did not.

"Different how?" asked Harry.

"It was more like a memory this time then a dream. Kind of like when you went into Tom Riddle's diary, and you were seeing the memories as they were happening. Although this time I was the person whose memory it was."

Harry was quiet again for a couple of moments. "Do you know whose memory it was?"

"My mother's," I said, still looking into the fire.

"Your mother's?" said Harry curiously. "And what was the memory?"

"We were sitting in the great hall and the boy, the one from the other dreams, came over and sat down next to me. Nothing particularly happened of importance in the dream, except I can just distinctly remember the way he made me feel. Almost as if we were a couple, but it was secret."

"So you think this boy, whoever he is, and your mother were dating?" said Harry, furrowing his brows.

"I do. But they felt a need to keep it secret somehow. It's hard to explain Harry, but I was feeling what my mom was feeling but I was still aware of my own thoughts and feelings if that makes sense. She was happy with him Harry. I mean, he made her really happy."

Harry gave a little nod of the head. "And nothing really happened in the dream?"

"They were talking about something...a potion's book that she had sitting in front of her? It's kind of fuzzy though...I can't really remember...but they were kind of flirting with one another."

Harry reached over and took hold of my hand. "It'll be alright Abby," Harry said with a little smile.

"Who is this boy Harry? He's not my father, and whoever he is he obviously meant a lot to my mother. And if they are memories, then how am I seeing them? I don't even know where my mother is, let alone how to extract memories from people."

"I honestly don't know. Maybe you could talk to Dumbledore about it? Maybe it has something to do with your magic expanding. After all your magic has gotten a lot stronger this summer."

I nodded my head gently before lying it against Harry's chest. He wrapped his arms around me and held me close to him.

"Something is happening Harry. I can feel it."

"I know," said Harry. "And whatever it is, Malfoy has a role to play."

"Malfoy, that incident at Diagon Alley, Snape becoming our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and these dreams. They're definitely connected somehow."

"Why do you think Dumbledore finally gave him the position?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," I said with a shrug. "But Dumbledore knows something."

If you're gonna be the death of me, that's how I wanna go