sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1169 users online including...
Nymphadoraliz , Shawntzs , Stevendalo , Antoniobjl , Antoniodmz , Antonioqum

6 members
1163 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmaster: Malachi Trent's Reign > Term 51: January - April 2019

Term 51: January - April 2019 Term Fifty-One: Don't Feed the Furries (Sept 2097 - June 2098)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Whomping Willow

The Whomping Willow is a valuable but extremely violent magical plant that has been on the grounds of Hogwarts since 1971. Beneath, it hides the Shrieking Shack and if you locate the little knot that makes the tree still you might find your way there, if you dare.

The Groundskeeper along with the rest of the staff advice all students to please, don't get too close to this majestic but violent beauty. It is known for attacking all who come close to it and unless you wish to spend the rest of the year in the Hospital Wing; stay at a safe distance from the range of its branches. But if you still want to try your luck in getting closer, don't forget to duck.

OOC: Please do not role-play for the Whomping Willow.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

DoM & AC
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Addison Ayers
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Sam Forrester
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Ava Clarke
Accidents & Catastrophes
Default Astronomy <3

He wouldn't say he got CLOSE to the tree, but he was definitely keeping an eye on it in case IT decided he was too close. Luckily it wasn't too dark, otherwise he would have just gone to the butterfly garden. His hopes heightened when he saw that there was no one else over here to take his choice of stick or rock. It took him quite a bit to find a decently large stick... As one can imagine, next to a tree that demolishes everything. He hadn't thought about that actually. He traveled in a wide radius from the tree, and finally came across a very sturdy looking stick.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League

DMLE & DERP
Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lazlo Pitt
Gryffindor
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Paige Hall
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Janus "Jeq" Quimby
Ecological Protection
x7 x8
Default For MJ
Mom says I have no sense of direction, so I packed my bags and right.

So here he was again. Mark was staring at the Whomping Willow at a distance wondering once more if his father was big fat liar or if he had actually managed to get a piece of this dangerous tree to make runes? It seemed highly unlikely but if there was something on the tree that proved his dad correct then he could finally let this whole thing pass.

It just seemed so far fetched. But then again, they cast magic for a living so to muggles he was far fetched.

Unfortunately, Mark would not get anywhere near that giant crushing tree. No way. Not in a million years. It would take some major convincing or maybe a Gryffindor to make him do it.

He crossed his arms and walked in a circle around the tree at a safe distance.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Gunnar McCarthy-Toussaint
Ecological Protection

x12 x5
Default that's me!
Unforgivably Cursed | adultescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Moose View Post
So here he was again. Mark was staring at the Whomping Willow at a distance wondering once more if his father was big fat liar or if he had actually managed to get a piece of this dangerous tree to make runes? It seemed highly unlikely but if there was something on the tree that proved his dad correct then he could finally let this whole thing pass.

It just seemed so far fetched. But then again, they cast magic for a living so to muggles he was far fetched.

Unfortunately, Mark would not get anywhere near that giant crushing tree. No way. Not in a million years. It would take some major convincing or maybe a Gryffindor to make him do it.

He crossed his arms and walked in a circle around the tree at a safe distance.
Even when it was cold, Gunnar still often found himself outside during his free time. Whether it was for Quidditch practice, his fairly regular runs, or just to enjoy the fresh air, he just seemed to prefer it to sitting around inside.

And such was the case today. Gunnar was on his way towards the creatures barn, but was taking his time as he walked the long way around. As he neared the Whomping Willow, he couldn't help but notice the figure circling the tree. It was some sort of deja vu, he thought, as he slowed to a stop near the younger boy.

"What is it about that tree that fascinates you so much, Mark?" It was interesting for sure, but Gunnar couldn't say he was as obsessed as he thought Mark was. Though, if what he heard was true, that could make it even more interesting.

______________________don't you worry I'll be fine
_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Other Characters
Dugbog

*sways*

The tree had been still, enjoying her peace and quiet. There was nothing better than soaking up the sun. But that moment of solitude was, of course, broken the moment the humans approached.

Sensing them getting closer, even if they were a safe enough distance away, the Whomping Willow's branches creaked as they started moving around. At first the branches swayed gently, almost in a welcoming way, but then one thick branch swung violently to the ground.

THWHACK!

Any animals that were nearby scattered. The sound of the Willow's branch hitting the ground echoed, the ground itself even shook a bit. Her message was quite clear: go away.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

DMLE & DERP
Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lazlo Pitt
Gryffindor
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Paige Hall
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Janus "Jeq" Quimby
Ecological Protection
x7 x8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Even when it was cold, Gunnar still often found himself outside during his free time. Whether it was for Quidditch practice, his fairly regular runs, or just to enjoy the fresh air, he just seemed to prefer it to sitting around inside.

And such was the case today. Gunnar was on his way towards the creatures barn, but was taking his time as he walked the long way around. As he neared the Whomping Willow, he couldn't help but notice the figure circling the tree. It was some sort of deja vu, he thought, as he slowed to a stop near the younger boy.

"What is it about that tree that fascinates you so much, Mark?" It was interesting for sure, but Gunnar couldn't say he was as obsessed as he thought Mark was. Though, if what he heard was true, that could make it even more interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomping Willow View Post
The tree had been still, enjoying her peace and quiet. There was nothing better than soaking up the sun. But that moment of solitude was, of course, broken the moment the humans approached.

Sensing them getting closer, even if they were a safe enough distance away, the Whomping Willow's branches creaked as they started moving around. At first the branches swayed gently, almost in a welcoming way, but then one thick branch swung violently to the ground.

THWHACK!

Any animals that were nearby scattered. The sound of the Willow's branch hitting the ground echoed, the ground itself even shook a bit. Her message was quite clear: go away.
The Young Ravenclaw continued to walk the perimeter of the tree even as it swayed he judged his distance was far enough away that the big willow could not reach him. Still, being this far back made it impossible to determine if a piece of it's trunk had really been taken by his Father.

He scratched at the back of his head to relieve a thought or an itch it was one or the other. He wasn't really sure, and just then Gunnar appeared beside him. Startled a bit, but Mark was glad it was his sort-of-kind-of like and Older Cousin to him Friend. Made it easier to explain his thoughts to someone who understood him. "Hi, Gunnar." Mark said with a smile that then turned into a shocked gasp as the Willow slammed down one of it's clubbed branches. It had some impressive reach, and most definitely very heavy. The smashing of it's limb to the ground actually knocked Mark to his butt.

No Way was his Dad telling the truth.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Ecological Protection

x12 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomping Willow View Post

THWHACK!

Quote:
The Young Ravenclaw continued to walk the perimeter of the tree even as it swayed he judged his distance was far enough away that the big willow could not reach him. Still, being this far back made it impossible to determine if a piece of it's trunk had really been taken by his Father.

He scratched at the back of his head to relieve a thought or an itch it was one or the other. He wasn't really sure, and just then Gunnar appeared beside him. Startled a bit, but Mark was glad it was his sort-of-kind-of like and Older Cousin to him Friend. Made it easier to explain his thoughts to someone who understood him. "Hi, Gunnar." Mark said with a smile that then turned into a shocked gasp as the Willow slammed down one of it's clubbed branches. It had some impressive reach, and most definitely very heavy. The smashing of it's limb to the ground actually knocked Mark to his butt.

No Way was his Dad telling the truth.
Gunnar let his eyes drift from the tree-circling Mark to the actual tree itself as the branches swayed softly in the breeze. He knew of the willow's impressive power, but other than its formidable size, it was times like these that it seemed almost gentle. He wasn't fooled though by those barely moving branches and still kept his distance.

Even though it took him off his guard when one of those limbs violently struck the ground and he jumped back slightly, Gunnar wasn't too surprised. The Whomping Willow was known for its sudden violent outbursts. And thankfully Mark was just outside the willow's reach, even if he did land on his bottom.

"Oh, hey, are you okay, Mark?" he asked with some concern as his attention was drawn to the younger boy. He was sure he wasn't hurt, but he offered a hand to help him up anyway.

_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line
Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

DMLE & DERP
Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lazlo Pitt
Gryffindor
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Paige Hall
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Janus "Jeq" Quimby
Ecological Protection
x7 x8

Quote:
Gunnar let his eyes drift from the tree-circling Mark to the actual tree itself as the branches swayed softly in the breeze. He knew of the willow's impressive power, but other than its formidable size, it was times like these that it seemed almost gentle. He wasn't fooled though by those barely moving branches and still kept his distance.

Even though it took him off his guard when one of those limbs violently struck the ground and he jumped back slightly, Gunnar wasn't too surprised. The Whomping Willow was known for its sudden violent outbursts. And thankfully Mark was just outside the willow's reach, even if he did land on his bottom.

"Oh, hey, are you okay, Mark?" he asked with some concern as his attention was drawn to the younger boy. He was sure he wasn't hurt, but he offered a hand to help him up anyway.
Nope that was too close. Mark scurried on his bottom a few more feet backwards away from the tree a bit more scared of it's Might. He looked at Gunnar's hand as it was offered to him. "I'm okay. That just took me by surprise"

Mark stood up with the help and then patted down his uniform slacks. Checking himself over quickly to see if he missed any dirt. Nah he was good from what he could tell. Then he took a few more extra steps backwards. "My Dad said he took a piece of this tree to make runes."
Mark pointed over at the imposing Willow as if Gunnar wasn't going to guess incorrectly that Mark was referring to a different tree.
"I think he was lying to me now." and he was not going ever find out. After witnessing it's wrath with the one slam of it's limb Mark decided only idiots, and his Father(?) would risk getting that close to it.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Ecological Protection

x12 x5

Quote:
Nope that was too close. Mark scurried on his bottom a few more feet backwards away from the tree a bit more scared of it's Might. He looked at Gunnar's hand as it was offered to him. "I'm okay. That just took me by surprise"

Mark stood up with the help and then patted down his uniform slacks. Checking himself over quickly to see if he missed any dirt. Nah he was good from what he could tell. Then he took a few more extra steps backwards. "My Dad said he took a piece of this tree to make runes."
Mark pointed over at the imposing Willow as if Gunnar wasn't going to guess incorrectly that Mark was referring to a different tree.
"I think he was lying to me now." and he was not going ever find out. After witnessing it's wrath with the one slam of it's limb Mark decided only idiots, and his Father(?) would risk getting that close to it.
Still keeping a safe distance from the tree, Gunnar nodded as he helped Mark up. The Willow was intimidating; that kind of display would have taken anybody by surprise. And just for good measure, he stepped back with the younger boy as a means of solidarity. No reason to be too close to the violent tree anyway, even if he would tell himself he wasn't too scared of it.

He glanced at Mark when he spoke, then back to the tree again. "Did he really?" Gunnar grew quiet for a moment as he contemplated this. "Did he ever show you the runes?" Not that it would really confirm anything anyway. He could have a wooden rune from any tree and just say it was from the Whomping Willow and probably no one would know the difference. "Maybe... but I've heard there are ways to calm the tree." And maybe Uncle Oakey used one of those ways to make his rune.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

DMLE & DERP
Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lazlo Pitt
Gryffindor
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Paige Hall
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Janus "Jeq" Quimby
Ecological Protection
x7 x8

Quote:
Still keeping a safe distance from the tree, Gunnar nodded as he helped Mark up. The Willow was intimidating; that kind of display would have taken anybody by surprise. And just for good measure, he stepped back with the younger boy as a means of solidarity. No reason to be too close to the violent tree anyway, even if he would tell himself he wasn't too scared of it.

He glanced at Mark when he spoke, then back to the tree again. "Did he really?" Gunnar grew quiet for a moment as he contemplated this. "Did he ever show you the runes?" Not that it would really confirm anything anyway. He could have a wooden rune from any tree and just say it was from the Whomping Willow and probably no one would know the difference. "Maybe... but I've heard there are ways to calm the tree." And maybe Uncle Oakey used one of those ways to make his rune.
Mark shook his head no. His Dad never did show him the Runes. "He said they were taken from him after the class assignment."

This all seemed highly far-fetched now. The more he said this whole thing out loud and to another person it seemed likely that his father was pulling his leg. How cruel!

Mark's eyebrow raised when Gunnar said there was a way to calm the tree. "So my Dad could have done that and gotten a piece of the Whomping Willow then?" That idea seemed plausible if true. But still....he looked up at the intimidating Willow. The Ravenclaw believed he was not ready to try that out just yet.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

DMLE & DoM
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Archie O'Brien
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Selene Latimer
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Gethin Hughes
Mysteries
Default Heather is up for grabs!

Ah yes, procrastination: something Heather was very skilled at. She had just dropped her things off back in the Common Room as she decided not to study and go for a little stroll around the grounds.

Heather was in the mood to make something out of her day, so the Slytherin had made a b-line towards the Whomping Willow, raven-black hair floating in the wind. Today she had it down instead of in her usual braid. The feeling just felt more liberating to her and made her feel free. And if there was one thing in this world that she could not live without, it was most certainly freedom. Some, mainly older people, might see her as a rebel; but to herself, she just thought of it as not being bound by rules or standards of any sort. Rules were more like guidelines anyways, also, everyone breaks them at one point or another.

Walking briskly, Heather had come to a stop right in front of the massive tree. Hopefully, she wouldn't disturb it to much, because all she really wanted to do was admire the sentient shrub. So she took a seat near it, and laid back and relaxed; resting her hands behind her head.

... MISUNDERSTOOD ... DILIGENT ... SECRETIVE ...
Old 03-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Ecological Protection

x12 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Moose View Post
Mark shook his head no. His Dad never did show him the Runes. "He said they were taken from him after the class assignment."

This all seemed highly far-fetched now. The more he said this whole thing out loud and to another person it seemed likely that his father was pulling his leg. How cruel!

Mark's eyebrow raised when Gunnar said there was a way to calm the tree. "So my Dad could have done that and gotten a piece of the Whomping Willow then?" That idea seemed plausible if true. But still....he looked up at the intimidating Willow. The Ravenclaw believed he was not ready to try that out just yet.
Gunnar furrowed his brow as he looked from the tree to the younger boy next to him. "And he never got them back? What was the point in making them then?" It seemed like busy work, honestly. Or maybe he really didn't do it at all and that was his cover story.

He shrugged and looked back at the tree, still keeping a safe distance. "I guess so... if he really did do it." Not that he thought Uncle Oakey would blatantly lie, but perhaps it was some sort of odd joke in his family taken out of context. Who knew, really. "I suppose there's one way to find out." Gunnar smirked lightly as he looked back at Mark. Was he willing to try?