sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1279 users online including...
Svetliab , Jamesje , Stevendalo , Evauhs , maximllon , Evaogz

6 members
1273 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Daily Prophet (News) > Harry Potter News

Harry Potter News Latest news and rumors about the Harry Potter world!

All News Forum Rules and FAQs apply. Click to view.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 AM

Post SnitchSeeker chats about 'Fantastic Beasts' 2 graphic art & exhibit with MinaLima

SnitchSeeker caught up with one half of the House of MinaLima, Miraphora Mina, about their new exhibit The Graphic Art of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, which can be seen this fall at their London location (right next to the Palace Theatre, home of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child). The interview, it should be noted, took place the morning of the London premiere this past Tuesday.

Mina shared her thoughts on Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (including some mild spoilers about two minutes in), attending the Paris world premiere, highlights of the exhibit itself, and already prepping for Fantastic Beasts 3 early in 2019. Mina subtly again confirmed that the third installment will, at least partly, take place in Rio de Janeiro (as noted in the last question about her creative partner Eduardo Lima, a Brazilian native).

SnitchSeeker: So you got to experience the Paris world premiere. How was that, seeing all the fans with your artwork in their hands?
Miraphora Mina:
It was very humbling. Those moments are often about the front face of the film and not necessarily the making, so it’s really extraordinary to know that after this time, things have consolidated to where the fans appreciate every element, every aspect of the filmmaking. So yeah, we were touched and honored.

SnitchSeeker: What did you think of the film?
Miraphora Mina:
I loved it. I thankfully have seen it twice ‘cause there’s a lot going on. It’s very demanding. You have to really (mimics focusing). And I’m going to be seeing it for the third time this evening – three in one week. It’s wonderful. It’s very face paced. I think Paris has been captured beautifully by all the different departments involved. I guess I knew that from the script, but it is even more so than I remember.

SnitchSeeker: Was there anything that surprised you in the film? Any cuts – stuff that made it in or didn’t?
Miraphora Mina:
Plenty of the art department work, a couple of whole sets didn’t make it in – I think that they were in the trailers, so you’ll probably know what they are, but that’s filmmaking. We’re all used to that. You can’t become to possessive or territorial about things that you’ve put time into. That’s just the nature of filmmaking.

SnitchSeeker: A lot happens in the film. As you said, there’s a lot to take in. What would be your hopes for the characters going forward? (slight spoilers in the video regarding this question)
Miraphora Mina:
The thing is, we genuinely don’t know, Eduardo and I – everyone who works in the technical crew doesn’t get to read the script until the arrival on set, which will probably be in February or March or something. So, I guess there’s lots of loose ends to tie up, Of course, I think everyone’s curious to know the whole story.

SnitchSeeker: You’ve got all your work around the walls here. Can you talk a little bit about what you’ve done for this film? Your inspirations?
Miraphora Mina:
Yes, I think for Eduardo and I always the really exciting bit for the film is when we first go into the wizarding world of that particular place – so in New York, or in case, Paris. We were given the task of giving the graphic face of this wizarding circus, which isn’t the kind of circus you might imagine when you say the word ‘circus.’ It definitely has a sinister, slightly dark side to it.

We needed to get that voice across in the visuals so that straightaway you know that there’s something untoward happening. We looked at freak shows from the turn of the century and looked at how the posters and banners were created. They’re very naïve. So we tried to capture some of that in the designs for the circus, but still referencing the art nouveau period, and of course, the transition into the wizarding situation. It’s really lovely to see those in the film because they’ve got the banners slightly animated. Real design’s a flat piece and then, in visual effects, if you look closely, then it’s ever so slightly animated. It’s those gestures in the wizarding world that bring it to life and become believable. And then, of course, the Ministry of Magic.

We were in a new Ministry of Magic. So we were in France, we referenced Marianne who is the symbol of France. It’s very iconic in France. I just spoke to a French journalist, actually, and she was very happy to know that we’d understood that and transcended it into the world. These (images) are all wizard warnings. “Warning: The Eiffel Tower is not a portkey.” Now, that’s also a challenge because we have to do everything in the language. For the first time we were confronted with a whole film that was in a whole other language. We’re probably the only department that has to do that because the dialogue is all in English. But we had a very good French assistant who helped us with that, so I hope we got it all right. But it’s always nice to have new challenges, and that was one of them.

SnitchSeeker: Do you have any favorites from the stuff you’ve done for the film?
Miraphora Mina:
One of my favorites is embargoed … but it involves a family. But I think everything from the wizarding circus, Eduardo and I really enjoyed working on that. I think it speaks to what’s going on in the film at that time with Nagini, and hopefully gets the personality of that horrible moment across.

SnitchSeeker: You said you start work on the next film in February?
Miraphora Mina:
I think so. I don’t know. Maybe I shouldn’t say that. (laughs) Some point early next year because it needs to be done next year.

SnitchSeeker: Are you looking anywhere for inspirations, without saying too much?
Miraphora Mina:
Let’s just say it might be helpful that my associate Eduardo is from that part of the world.

SnitchSeeker: We’ll leave it at that.
Miraphora Mina:
So they can’t get rid of him yet.
Details about the new exhibit can be found below - and do note, entrance is absolutely free to the exhibit for all.

Quote:
Award-winning design studio MinaLima debuts over 50 new and original graphic art prints from Warner Bros. Pictures’ Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald at House of MinaLima in Soho, London. The film, which is written by J.K. Rowling, comes to UK cinemas on 16 November 2018.

Prints on display include the vividly coloured artwork created for the highly anticipated Le Cirque Arcanus, the revelation of Maledictus, the newly designed insignia for the Ministère des Affaires Magiques de la France, Newt Scamander’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book cover, and the Fantastic Beasts Special Release Poster created especially for Comic-Con International San Diego, an exclusive poster designed by MinaLima, evoking the art nouveau spirit of 1920s Paris – the era in which the film is set.

The special exhibition will also include two new books designed by MinaLima, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay and The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, an exclusive look behind the scenes of the film. All prints and books are available for sale at House of MinaLima.

MinaLima’s graphic designs for magical and non-magical 1920s Paris play an integral part of the film’s visual storytelling. Much historical research and experimentation with techniques is employed, from sourcing original patterns and papers to scanning historical typefaces and peculiar surfaces to capture and reconstruct the essence and style of the period.

This detail is reimagined in the immersive exhibition at House of MinaLima in London. In the new Fantastic Beasts display the design studio has married 1920s’ Parisian glamour with the vibrancy of a bizarre magical circus, and juxtaposed with darker elements of Grindelwald.

Order tickets here for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald at Fandango now.

Read SnitchSeeker's set visit breakdown of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, including the return to Hogwarts and London, and entering Paris's Wizarding world.
Warner Bros. Pictures’ “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” is the second of five all new adventures in J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World™.

At the end of the first film, the powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) was captured by MACUSA (Magical Congress of the United States of America), with the help of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne). But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escaped custody and has set about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.

In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

The film features an ensemble cast led by Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, Zoë Kravitz, Callum Turner, Claudia Kim, William Nadylam, Kevin Guthrie, Carmen Ejogo, Poppy Corby-Tuech, with Jude Law and Johnny Depp.

“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” is directed by David Yates, from a screenplay by J.K. Rowling. The film is produced by David Heyman, J.K. Rowling, Steve Kloves and Lionel Wigram. Tim Lewis, Neil Blair, Rick Senat and Danny Cohen serve as executive producers.

The film reunites the behind-the-scenes creative team from the first “Fantastic Beasts” film, including Oscar-winning director of photography Philippe Rousselot (“A River Runs Through It”), three-time Oscar-winning production designer Stuart Craig (“The English Patient,” “Dangerous Liaisons,” “Gandhi,” the “Harry Potter” films), four-time Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (“Chicago,” “Memoirs of a Geisha,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”), and Yates’ longtime editor Mark Day (the last four “Harry Potter” films). The music is by eight-time Oscar nominee James Newton Howard (“Defiance,” “Michael Clayton,” “The Hunger Games” films).

Slated for release on November 16, 2018, the film will be distributed worldwide in 2D and 3D in select theatres and IMAX by Warner Bros. Pictures.

This film is rated PG-13 for some sequences of fantasy action.