sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1085 users online including...
Hannahyfx

2 members
1083 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Ministry Archive > Charles Hollingberry Era

Charles Hollingberry Era All historical records pertaining to Ministry of Magic RPG under Minister for Magic, Charles Hollingberry [IC March 2097 - present; OOC November 2018 - present]

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 PM

Default Pets 'n Plants Café

{Pets 'n Plants Café}

Tucked away in a corner behind the Shared Conference Room and right at the entrance of Level 4, you'll find a door leading you to one of the newest hang-out spots that the Ministry of Magic has to offer. If you wander inside, you'll see that what used to be a storage room has since been transformed into a hip café, complete with all the regular bells and whistles: square tables, comfortable chairs, & coffee-shop chatter. While there isn't a counter to order yourself a drink, there's an espresso machine, an assortment of teas, and a kettle filled with hot water along the back wall. You're encouraged to bring your own food and drink, but are asked to stay away from one-time use, plastic crockery (unless you want an Environment Employee hunting you down).

Did someone just touch your leg or are you imagining things?

It may be worthwhile to mention that this isn't just any café. This is a creature and plant adoption café! Small, rescued creatures (crups, kneazles, you name it!) who are in need of a loving home are walking around, curling up around your feet, and asking you for a nibble to eat! Please treat the creatures with care and be sure to give them some of your love and affection. If you find one you like, stop by one of the Level 4 Department Heads' offices to fill out the paperwork and make a furever friend. Not a pet person? Not a problem. There are plenty of plants hanging around too. Feel free to take one, or two, or however many you can hold! The procedure is the same for both creatures and plants alike!

Oh, and cheers!
Old 03-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #76 (permalink)

DMC & DERP
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hadleigh Renee Paton (DarkGreen)
Slytherin
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bryony Rose Paton (#FF69B4)
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Oceanus Zunther (#bfc2cb)
Ecological Protection
x12
Default For Stella buuuuuuut also snagging Aurora! :)
Otter This World ♡ Catpurrccino ♡ Slotherin ♡ Pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Witch View Post
Even bosses needed breaks sometimes, right? Aurora was in need of one right now, since staring at reports about dragon sightings all over Britain, and organizing what search team went where, was slowly causing a migraine to build in her head. Still familiarizing herself with level 4 Aurora headed into the Pet's and Plant's Cafe to check that out.

At the sight of all the cute kneazles and crup’s milling about on the floor she immediately felt herself relax, and an easy smile formed on her lips. Going over to sit down on a stool in the otherwise deserted café, she watched as a white kneazle broke away from the others and started to make it's way over to her, pushing a rat toy ahead of it. "Hey little one! Do you want me to play with you?" Leaning down she gave the kneazle a gentle scratch between the ears, before she kicked the rattoy across the floor watching the kneazle run after it.
Thank Merlin, for breaks! Oceanus was thrilled to get a steady job in the ministry but add in attending university full time, meant he was tired young man most days. Be it as it may, he did his best to not let it show and over the past several months since he was hired, gave his all each day.

What he needed now though was some coffee. Coffee and lunch which he had in his bag that was slung over his shoulder. It would also be nice to see Stella for a bit if she managed to get a break as well. They usually tried to keep their breaks at the same time each day but that wasn't always possible.

Ocean entered the small cafe area, blue eyes already taking it all in. This wasn't too bad. In fact it was rather nice. The plants were a good touch and was th-.. kneazles?! Oh, sweet Merlin there were creatures in here. He watched a white kneazle dash across the floor in front of him making him chuckle lightly. "Hello," Ocean nodded in greeting when he spotted his boss (Aurora) sat on one of the stools.

You are Bread!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:32 PM   #77 (permalink)

DERP & DMC
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cassidy Raine
Ravenclaw
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bryson Blacknight
Hufflepuff
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Zunther

Ministry RPG Name:
Serena Morningstar
Loveable Gryffinpuff| Stella Bella

Thank goodness for breaks, Stella was working so hard in the Greenhouse that she needed a break or a drink of water, thank goodness she was going on break. Taking off her dragon hide gloves she put them in her robe before heading out wiping her face with her towel. Going to get her lunch she grabbed it biting her lip wondering if her Titan waa on break. She hopes that he was, she really liked it when they had breaks together.

Walking into the small cafe she smiled. Feeling something brush agsinst her leg she looked down. " Why hello there." Giving the kneazle a little petting her sky blue eyes looking around. Seeing Oceanus she smiled happily she walked over towards him. "Hi Ocean." Kissing his cheek she grabbed his hand. "How your day going?"
Old 03-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #78 (permalink)

DMC & DERP
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hadleigh Renee Paton (DarkGreen)
Slytherin
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bryony Rose Paton (#FF69B4)
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Oceanus Zunther (#bfc2cb)
Ecological Protection
x12
Otter This World ♡ Catpurrccino ♡ Slotherin ♡ Pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger Danger View Post
Thank goodness for breaks, Stella was working so hard in the Greenhouse that she needed a break or a drink of water, thank goodness she was going on break. Taking off her dragon hide gloves she put them in her robe before heading out wiping her face with her towel. Going to get her lunch she grabbed it biting her lip wondering if her Titan waa on break. She hopes that he was, she really liked it when they had breaks together.

Walking into the small cafe she smiled. Feeling something brush agsinst her leg she looked down. " Why hello there." Giving the kneazle a little petting her sky blue eyes looking around. Seeing Oceanus she smiled happily she walked over towards him. "Hi Ocean." Kissing his cheek she grabbed his hand. "How your day going?"
Now that he was very much aware of all the kneazles in the area, Ocean slowly made his way over to the espresso machine. This guy needed his coffee fix. It was how he was going to get through the rest of the day.

Skirting around a kneazle or two that had weaved itself through his legs while he was walking, he made it over to the table. Grabbing himself a cup he set it on the espresso machine and hit the necessary buttons. While waiting for his drink, Ocean heard the one voice he had been hoping to hear.

"Hey, Stell," he grinned widely at her. Letting her take hold of his hand, he lightly squeezed her fingers. "Not too bad, I'm still in one piece." It was meant as a light joke and was shown with a bit of laughter. "How are you doing so far today?" Hopefully she wasn't having a rough day. "Want a cup?" He nodded his head at his own now filled coffee.

You are Bread!
Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #79 (permalink)

DMLE & DMAC
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kalie Carter-Hope Gellar
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Ronan Victor Carter
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Alfred Ludovic Devereaux
Accidents & Catastrophes
x7 x4
Dem Carters | even 🕊🕊 have pride | | Expecto PAWtronum 🐈 | U-NA-GI

A silvery meerkat sprints deftly into the room with an alarming message, spoken loudly enough to be heard throughout the level:

”Firestorm on level one! Drop everything and GET OUT! Do not come try to help put it out, there’s too many cooks in the kitchen as it is! And also a hungry vampire. I repeat, GET OUT!

Message delivered, the meerkat dashes back out again.

You are Salt!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #80 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1
Default For Jane :)
*randomly tagged* | Norbert(a) | The Wandmaker (tm)

Conley had needed to get out of his office. The amount of correspondence he was getting from the world was starting to feel overwhelming. Thankfully his burns had finally stopped hurting, although they were still red under his bandages, the edge of which was poking out at his cuff. He'd told Sachin he would try harder not to use that arm, but it was hard when his entire morning had been filled with responding to owl after owl. Maybe he should make Brody take dictations.... no the boy had enough work to do as it was right now trying to sort out all the of VISA applications he had been forced to turn down under the Alliance's eyes.

Tea. He needed tea and while he had some in his office the whole point was to GET OUT of his office. So he had decided to wander up a floor to the cafe. He rarely came in here, but maybe petting a dog or a cat or a pigmy puff would help ease some of his tensions. So after ordered an extra large cup of Earl Gray, Conley found a corner to sit in. It wasn't long before he felt his eyes closing. Surely, nobody would notice if he took a small kip right?

Apparently a cat did, because it jumped up on the seat next to him, sniffed him and then decided Conley looked like a great place to curl up. Soon it was purring away happily in his lap.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #81 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries
Default Meeting Conley

Jane had been intending to get out more within the Ministry building for over a year now--her alchemical work in the Death Chamber tended to keep her busy, and rather solitary as well. And whenever she did venture out, it seemed she always walked into some battle or disaster.

But this time she'd actually made it to some sort of cafe--filled with plants and animals, it seemed, which was curious. As she took her new cup --not quite her style, but now a treasured gift, so she would use it--filled with strong, black coffee, she looked around for a seat and spotted Conley Singh-Phora, Head of the Department of International Cooperation, sitting at a table with a cat purring in his lap and apparently quite asleep. Jane stood next to his table for a few moments, watching him. She really hated to disturb his rest--she could see that he still had some bandages over what she imagined were burns from the fire in the Technology Lounge--but on the other hand, she had a few things she had been wanted to discuss with him, off the record, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

So she seated herself in the chair opposite his and leaned back for a few moments, sipping her coffee and nodding a respectful greeting to the cat, who had briefly opened one eye to inspect her. And waited to see if Conley would become aware of her presence on his own.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:08 AM   #82 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Text Cut: Jane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAlice View Post
Jane had been intending to get out more within the Ministry building for over a year now--her alchemical work in the Death Chamber tended to keep her busy, and rather solitary as well. And whenever she did venture out, it seemed she always walked into some battle or disaster.

But this time she'd actually made it to some sort of cafe--filled with plants and animals, it seemed, which was curious. As she took her new cup --not quite her style, but now a treasured gift, so she would use it--filled with strong, black coffee, she looked around for a seat and spotted Conley Singh-Phora, Head of the Department of International Cooperation, sitting at a table with a cat purring in his lap and apparently quite asleep. Jane stood next to his table for a few moments, watching him. She really hated to disturb his rest--she could see that he still had some bandages over what she imagined were burns from the fire in the Technology Lounge--but on the other hand, she had a few things she had been wanted to discuss with him, off the record, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

So she seated herself in the chair opposite his and leaned back for a few moments, sipping her coffee and nodding a respectful greeting to the cat, who had briefly opened one eye to inspect her. And waited to see if Conley would become aware of her presence on his own.

It felt like someone was watching him. Conley didn't know why he felt that way. Maybe it was the purring he heard from the cat he didn't know had curled up in his lap. He opened one eye, much like the cat in his lap, and then started. Where he had expected another cat or a perhaps a dog to be, there was a human. One that perhaps looked a bit amused to find Conley napping? The cat meowed unhappily and then jumped back to the chair next to Conley, staring at Jane as if it were her fault his human bed had jostled him. "Jane," he said groggily, rubbing his eye with his hand. "How long was I asleep?" He wondered for a moment if he should explain that he had been having nightmares as well as a one year old who sometimes still didn't like to sleep through the night.

Instead he took a long sip of his tea, then patted his lap in an attempt to get the cat to come back. It looked at him with it's big yellow eyes and swished it's tail. He sighed and gave up. "You don't often venture up from Level 9," he said to Jane as if she didn't already know that. He felt a little foolish. Small talk had never been one of his strong suits. "How have you been?"
Old 05-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #83 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krel Ansell View Post
"You don't often venture up from Level 9," he said to Jane as if she didn't already know that. He felt a little foolish. Small talk had never been one of his strong suits. "How have you been?"
Jane smiled and sat down in the chair opposite him, nodding once to the cat and then ignoring it. "Yes, I have been busy working on something the past year, but I've been meaning to get out in the Ministry more and meet people. In fact, I've tried to a few times in the past but always seemed to get sidetracked." By rock golems in the Hall of Prophecy, explosions in the Minister's Office. The usual sort of thing.

Jane leaned in and added in an undertone, "You know, they usually come to you when you're not trying to get them to," as she gave a subtle nod towards the cat, who was still watching them.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #84 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:
Jane smiled and sat down in the chair opposite him, nodding once to the cat and then ignoring it. "Yes, I have been busy working on something the past year, but I've been meaning to get out in the Ministry more and meet people. In fact, I've tried to a few times in the past but always seemed to get sidetracked." By rock golems in the Hall of Prophecy, explosions in the Minister's Office. The usual sort of thing.

Jane leaned in and added in an undertone, "You know, they usually come to you when you're not trying to get them to," as she gave a subtle nod towards the cat, who was still watching them.

"Well, I'm glad you finally are out exploring. The Ministry is actually a pretty amazing place," he yawned and shook his head a little. "When it's not being taken over by crazy extremists. Any place in particular you're hoping to see?"

"Oh?" he asked looking from the at back to Jane. "Don't have much experience with cats. I only just got a dog for the firs time a few years ago. Guess I'm used to calling for him." He went back to sipping his tea. He wondered how Duke would feel with him coming home smelling of cat. For that matter, he wondered what Sachin would say if I brought home a cat? He probably shouldn't, but he was rather tempted to. The cat's presence in his lap had been rather soothing. More soothing then he'd felt, well, since before the war.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #85 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Text Cut: Conley
Quote:
"Well, I'm glad you finally are out exploring. The Ministry is actually a pretty amazing place," he yawned and shook his head a little. "When it's not being taken over by crazy extremists. Any place in particular you're hoping to see?"

Jane tried not to keep smiling, but it really was charming to see how pleased this cat and Conley were in each other's company. To cover it, she took a long drink of her coffee. "Oh, I hadn't had a particular place in mind, really. I just feel I haven't had a chance to meet very many people, except in my department or at the annual galas." Or during a crisis. "Last year, when you...when we were asked to find others to join our...cause, I realized I didn't really know many people that well." And the few she did know had died or disappeared. "But I've reached a sort of a break in my work--just finishing up a few details before going on to the next thing, so I thought I'd take advantage of the time." She paused, took another drink of coffee, and then looked directly at Conley. "And I've been wanting to talk to you about something...international."
Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 PM   #86 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:
Jane tried not to keep smiling, but it really was charming to see how pleased this cat and Conley were in each other's company. To cover it, she took a long drink of her coffee. "Oh, I hadn't had a particular place in mind, really. I just feel I haven't had a chance to meet very many people, except in my department or at the annual galas." Or during a crisis. "Last year, when you...when we were asked to find others to join our...cause, I realized I didn't really know many people that well." And the few she did know had died or disappeared. "But I've reached a sort of a break in my work--just finishing up a few details before going on to the next thing, so I thought I'd take advantage of the time." She paused, took another drink of coffee, and then looked directly at Conley. "And I've been wanting to talk to you about something...international."

Just as Jane had suggested, as soon as Conley feigned disinterest in the cat, the cat was back. One paw reached out to touch his thigh and Conley looked down. The cat looked up at him and then pulled it's paw back. Conley sighed and turned his attention back to Jane. "Well, the annual orientation events are good for meeting people," If you like doing that sort of thing. Which Conley didn't. He often found the orientations cloying. Probably because of all the small talk needed. While he was talking the cat climbed back into his lap. He glanced down and then back up, a small smile playing on his lips. "Guess you were right."

As Jane talked about work, he tilted his head, but didn't inquire despite the urge to do so. He knew better. Unspeakables didn't talk about their work or their department or their levels. "Well, you're always welcome on Level 5. But you already know that." He gave her a smile and decided to see if the cat would let him pet it. It did, giving off a loud purr. "International?" he repeated, one eyebrow raised. Color him intrigued. "I think this'll be the first time an Unspeakable has international news for me."
Old 05-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #87 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"International?" he repeated, one eyebrow raised. Color him intrigued. "I think this'll be the first time an Unspeakable has international news for me."
Jane was still smiling at Conley and the cat, wondering if that feline was going to go home with a new person this afternoon, when her train of thought was interrupted by Conley's response to her remark.

"Yes, well, I'm rather sorry that I do now. You see," and she lowered her voice a little and leaned in slightly toward him, "I had been trying to get a lead on what happened to Bain." She paused a moment, a bit embarrassed at her presumption. "I believe he killed my former colleage, Dr. Nykto. I wanted to stop him when he tried to flee the Ministry, but I was distracted--we all were--by the fire in the Technology Lounge. So I'd been writing to some of my old contacts in Europe. I studied and worked there for a number of years, you know, mostly in Germany. And I've been receiving disturbing news about possible Neo-Alliance activity." The most disturbing news had been the disappearance of Jane's old mentor, Gerda Durkheim.

"I assumed you yourself must be aware of some or all of this, of course, but I felt I should mention it."
Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 AM   #88 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:
Jane was still smiling at Conley and the cat, wondering if that feline was going to go home with a new person this afternoon, when her train of thought was interrupted by Conley's response to her remark.

"Yes, well, I'm rather sorry that I do now. You see," and she lowered her voice a little and leaned in slightly toward him, "I had been trying to get a lead on what happened to Bain." She paused a moment, a bit embarrassed at her presumption. "I believe he killed my former colleage, Dr. Nykto. I wanted to stop him when he tried to flee the Ministry, but I was distracted--we all were--by the fire in the Technology Lounge. So I'd been writing to some of my old contacts in Europe. I studied and worked there for a number of years, you know, mostly in Germany. And I've been receiving disturbing news about possible Neo-Alliance activity." The most disturbing news had been the disappearance of Jane's old mentor, Gerda Durkheim.

"I assumed you yourself must be aware of some or all of this, of course, but I felt I should mention it."

The purring of the cat seemed to reach deep into Conley and he found himself wondering again, what Sachin would do if he brought the kitty home. He hadn't felt this relaxed in...well, since before the Alliance took over the Ministry. But at Jane's words, Conley's anxiety threatened to spike. "I'm pretty sure that was the point of the fire," Conley agreed. "The fact that it was an area of the Ministry full of muggle technology was probably just an added bonus for him." As for the presumed murder, she wasn't the only one who assumed that. "I'm sure Upstead has a team tracking Goldwasser down." It was meant to be reassuring, but Conley wasn't sure it was.

Yes, any peacefulness he got from his cat-nap and cat-company was now gone. He listened, sipping his tea. "I've privy to some things about the troubles with the Alliance abroad, but not much out of Germany." Most of his European correspondence had recently been about the dragons that the Alliance members had released from the Welsh reserve. He'd been working with Aurora and Creatures on recovering them. "What exactly have you heard Jane?" Because if it was bothering her, and depending on what it was, then he should probably relay it to Fletcher and have a long conversation with the German Ambassador.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:24 AM   #89 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"I'm pretty sure that was the point of the fire," Conley agreed. "The fact that it was an area of the Ministry full of muggle technology was probably just an added bonus for him."
"Yes, and also the Muggle technology contained equipment that couldn't be extinguished with just water," Jane replied. "By the way, I've been thinking that if they're going to continue having Muggle technology there, they ought to get some Muggle fire extinguishers to deal with a future accident."

Quote:

"I've privy to some things about the troubles with the Alliance abroad, but not much out of Germany...What exactly have you heard Jane?"
Jane thought a minute about exactly which points to tell him. "Well, there's a lot of Alliance graffiti showing up in various places, acts of petty vandalism here and there. Nothing that serious in itself, but that sort of thing is usually the precursor to more violent acts." Jane paused, looking down into her coffee mug.

"There was one incident in a wizarding neighborhood in the Munich area where a whole gang of people--they kept their faces covered so they couldn't be identified, but it was presumed they were Alliance supporters--they marched down the streets shouting anti-Muggle slogans and breaking the windows of shops and residences belonging to Muggleborns or Half-Bloods, even Pureblood wizards who associated with such."

Jane looked back at Conley as she spoke again. "And there've been disappearances--people with Muggle heritage and others. My old mentor--the Potions Master with whom I did my apprenticeship, Gerda Durkheim, very well respected in the Guild, maybe a little...notorious, even. There've always been rumors about her, all sorts of things, but one is that she is part Dwarvish. And it may be true, she's rather short and squat and knows a lot of ancient lore. She never told me, one way or the other, but the point is, people think it's true, and now...she seems to have vanished. Her lab, her office at the Alchemical Institute, her house--there's no sign of here anywhere and I haven't been able to reach her with any messages."
Old 05-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #90 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:
"Yes, and also the Muggle technology contained equipment that couldn't be extinguished with just water," Jane replied. "By the way, I've been thinking that if they're going to continue having Muggle technology there, they ought to get some Muggle fire extinguishers to deal with a future accident."

Jane thought a minute about exactly which points to tell him. "Well, there's a lot of Alliance graffiti showing up in various places, acts of petty vandalism here and there. Nothing that serious in itself, but that sort of thing is usually the precursor to more violent acts." Jane paused, looking down into her coffee mug.

"There was one incident in a wizarding neighborhood in the Munich area where a whole gang of people--they kept their faces covered so they couldn't be identified, but it was presumed they were Alliance supporters--they marched down the streets shouting anti-Muggle slogans and breaking the windows of shops and residences belonging to Muggleborns or Half-Bloods, even Pureblood wizards who associated with such."

Jane looked back at Conley as she spoke again. "And there've been disappearances--people with Muggle heritage and others. My old mentor--the Potions Master with whom I did my apprenticeship, Gerda Durkheim, very well respected in the Guild, maybe a little...notorious, even. There've always been rumors about her, all sorts of things, but one is that she is part Dwarvish. And it may be true, she's rather short and squat and knows a lot of ancient lore. She never told me, one way or the other, but the point is, people think it's true, and now...she seems to have vanished. Her lab, her office at the Alchemical Institute, her house--there's no sign of here anywhere and I haven't been able to reach her with any messages."

Conley listened as Jane spoke, the cat in his lap forgotten as was the tea in the cup he gripped between his fingers. It wasn't exactly new news. It sounded very much like what had transpired here in Britain and in America and in France. It hadn't gotten as strong a foothold in India, but his husband had relayed some issues popping up here and there in his native country too. His knuckles started to ache as did the burns on his arm. Likely from his muscles clenching the cup. He forced himself to release the mug and instead pressed his palms against the table. "Were the local authorities alerted?" Because that was the first step, however like here, the Alliance had probably gained a foothold in the German Ministry. It was hard to tell since most of his ambassadors had went to ground in their native countries when problems began. He really should reach out to some of the ones that had gone quiet...

"I can reach out to the German Ambassador, ask for an update on the climate of their country." Pause. "But I'm afraid they are likely to skirt my inquiries. Especially depending on, well the political precariousness of the situation." He grew quiet for a few minutes running a few things over in his mind. "Have you talked to anyone in MLE about this? Perhaps one of the hit wizards could look into things. Or if you, yourself wanted to, I can arrange the proper paperwork. But only if," he said, with a tentative smile. "If you write me daily so that I know you yourself are alright." Had he taken a shine to the lady? Yes, but only in a purely platonic way. And since he had himself recruited her into the Order, he did feel a bit of a responsibility for her safety.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:42 AM   #91 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"Were the local authorities alerted?" Because that was the first step, however like here, the Alliance had probably gained a foothold in the German Ministry. ...

Jane nodded. "Yes, her colleagues at the Institute informed them and were told they were 'investigating' it. But it doesn't seem like much has been done. That may be because nothing has turned up, of course, but it may also be because the wizarding authorities aren't that interested in following up on a case involving a half blood." Especially if that other half was dwarvish.

Quote:

"I can reach out to the German Ambassador, ask for an update on the climate of their country." Pause. "But I'm afraid they are likely to skirt my inquiries. Especially depending on, well the political precariousness of the situation." He grew quiet for a few minutes running a few things over in his mind. "Have you talked to anyone in MLE about this? Perhaps one of the hit wizards could look into things. Or if you, yourself wanted to, I can arrange the proper paperwork. But only if," he said, with a tentative smile. "If you write me daily so that I know you yourself are alright."

Jane thought a minute. "It would be useful to contact the German ambassador, to leave no stone unturned, as it were. But I'm not confident you can find out the truth."

She thought a few minutes more. Should she go to Europe to investigate herself? Would she have any more luck than her old colleagues at the Alchemical Institute? She doubted she had more intellectual skills than them, but she did have a bigger emotional investment. Gerda, though quite brilliant, had been considered difficult, temperamental...odd, even. Jane was the first apprentice to have made it through to the Fellow level with here in decades. Would anyone else really be interested in trying to find her?

But could Jane get away from the Ministry right now--Airey Flamsteed had just given the go ahead to finish development of the healing elixir she'd been developing over the past year, and when it was ready, it would offer help to any number of people who'd been hurt, physically or emotionally, in the war. She would have to think this through...

"No, I hadn't contacted the MLE yet, I wanted to talk with you first. Perhaps I should try that before running off on my own--I haven't really been trained for this sort of thing." Though come to think of it, she'd done pretty well tracking Violet down when she'd run away to New York. Of course, finding a runaway teenager in Muggle New York was a lot easier than tracking down someone who might have been taken by dark wizards. "It would have to be done carefully. Gerda may have disappeared on her own and not wish to be found."
Old 05-22-2021, 02:18 AM   #92 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:

Jane nodded. "Yes, her colleagues at the Institute informed them and were told they were 'investigating' it. But it doesn't seem like much has been done. That may be because nothing has turned up, of course, but it may also be because the wizarding authorities aren't that interested in following up on a case involving a half blood." Especially if that other half was dwarvish.

Jane thought a minute. "It would be useful to contact the German ambassador, to leave no stone unturned, as it were. But I'm not confident you can find out the truth."

She thought a few minutes more. Should she go to Europe to investigate herself? Would she have any more luck than her old colleagues at the Alchemical Institute? She doubted she had more intellectual skills than them, but she did have a bigger emotional investment. Gerda, though quite brilliant, had been considered difficult, temperamental...odd, even. Jane was the first apprentice to have made it through to the Fellow level with here in decades. Would anyone else really be interested in trying to find her?

But could Jane get away from the Ministry right now--Airey Flamsteed had just given the go ahead to finish development of the healing elixir she'd been developing over the past year, and when it was ready, it would offer help to any number of people who'd been hurt, physically or emotionally, in the war. She would have to think this through...

"No, I hadn't contacted the MLE yet, I wanted to talk with you first. Perhaps I should try that before running off on my own--I haven't really been trained for this sort of thing." Though come to think of it, she'd done pretty well tracking Violet down when she'd run away to New York. Of course, finding a runaway teenager in Muggle New York was a lot easier than tracking down someone who might have been taken by dark wizards. "It would have to be done carefully. Gerda may have disappeared on her own and not wish to be found."

"I will reach out to the ambassador then. See what I can find out. Perhaps..." he paused not sure if this would be overstepping of if his contact would even be willing to help. He hadn't talked to her in a long time after all. Maybe his aunt would be better suited to ask. "A colleague of mine might be of some assistance." And then a thought occurred to him. "Or perhaps one of your colleagues could help." He paused trying to remember the bloke's name. "Gerulf. He's here on a Work VISA and routinely goes home to Germany to visit with his father. His updated paperwork just recently passed my desk." He was supposed have to denied it due to the man's blood status and instead he had 'lost it' in a pile of other things. Airey had never complained about the man's work habits after all and while a little odd, Conley had no true reason to deny the man his VISA.

"But I do think you should talk to someone in MLE. I can help you set up an appointment if you want. They would be much better situated with following up on any leads." Still, it was quite flattering to hear she had wanted to talk to him first. Did that mean she thought him a friend? Or had she just needed a sounding board. "I'd help you look myself, but I don't think after this," he pointed at his arm where the bandages were hidden by his shirt sleeve. "Sachin is a little loath to let me out of his sight and having lost my wife, I understand where he's coming from." Jane did know that Conley had been married before Sachin right? Eh, well, now she did. It wasn't like it was knowledge he hid from people.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:59 PM   #93 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
"I will reach out to the ambassador then. See what I can find out. Perhaps..." he paused not sure if this would be overstepping of if his contact would even be willing to help. He hadn't talked to her in a long time after all. Maybe his aunt would be better suited to ask. "A colleague of mine might be of some assistance." And then a thought occurred to him. "Or perhaps one of your colleagues could help." He paused trying to remember the bloke's name. "Gerulf. He's here on a Work VISA and routinely goes home to Germany to visit with his father. His updated paperwork just recently passed my desk."

Jane nodded gratefully at his offer of help, and concentrated on the name he mentioned. Gerulf. And one of her colleagues. Jane realized that she had been so wrapped up in her elixir during the past months that she hardly knew any of her colleagues. She would have to remedy that. "Gerulf. Yes, I'll try to contact him, thank you."

Quote:

"But I do think you should talk to someone in MLE. I can help you set up an appointment if you want. They would be much better situated with following up on any leads."
"Thank you. I wasn't sure who in MLE to contact, that's why I came to you first. Because I know you, and because of...the order, you know," she finished, lowering her voice. "Once I realized this Alliance thing had spread to the Continent, I became concerned there may still be followers here in the Ministry as well, gone to ground, so to speak."

Quote:

"I'd help you look myself, but I don't think after this," he pointed at his arm where the bandages were hidden by his shirt sleeve. "Sachin is a little loath to let me out of his sight and having lost my wife, I understand where he's coming from."
Jane frowned in concern at the sight of the bandages. "Are those burns still bothering you, then? I would have thought the healers would have been able to fix you up by now. I could lend you some more of that burn ointment, if you thought that helped before." Jane was a little embarrassed almost before the words left her mouth. Of course the man must have access to better treatments than a common nursery remedy. She really must try to control this tendency she'd developed to mother people--those years as a governess had given her some bad habits.

"Well, of course, I'm sure you and your husband must have access to more sophisticated remedies than this. I recently worked as a governess to the daughter of an old friend of mine, and now I'm afraid I tend to carry a first-aid kit around in my bag."
Old 05-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #94 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:

Jane nodded gratefully at his offer of help, and concentrated on the name he mentioned. Gerulf. And one of her colleagues. Jane realized that she had been so wrapped up in her elixir during the past months that she hardly knew any of her colleagues. She would have to remedy that. "Gerulf. Yes, I'll try to contact him, thank you."

"Thank you. I wasn't sure who in MLE to contact, that's why I came to you first. Because I know you, and because of...the order, you know," she finished, lowering her voice. "Once I realized this Alliance thing had spread to the Continent, I became concerned there may still be followers here in the Ministry as well, gone to ground, so to speak."

Jane frowned in concern at the sight of the bandages. "Are those burns still bothering you, then? I would have thought the healers would have been able to fix you up by now. I could lend you some more of that burn ointment, if you thought that helped before." Jane was a little embarrassed almost before the words left her mouth. Of course the man must have access to better treatments than a common nursery remedy. She really must try to control this tendency she'd developed to mother people--those years as a governess had given her some bad habits.

"Well, of course, I'm sure you and your husband must have access to more sophisticated remedies than this. I recently worked as a governess to the daughter of an old friend of mine, and now I'm afraid I tend to carry a first-aid kit around in my bag."

Well, that was settled then. He (or his aunt) would get in touch with his contact and Jane would discuss matters with Gerulf. As for MLE, "With the exit of Goldwasser, I'm not really sure what the department is like, but I'll work on getting you an appointment with someone who might be able to help." Perhaps Saul would be the best person for her to discuss things with for now. Conley knew he could trust him and well, MLE should really hear anything Jane might have to say about the Alliance and it's members. He'd send him a memo when he got back to his desk.

He waved her her concerns about his injuries. "I have a....thing..." his eyes took on a slightly far away, cloudy, and sad look for a moment, but Conley shook his head and then focused back on Jane. He did not want to talk about his dead wife right now. "About healers and hospitals. But I did see one and the salve they gave is helping. Yours did too, but the magic Goldwasser used was a strong one and it took me longer then it probably should to get help after the fire went out." Because he and Saul had gone to help corral another member of the Alliance. "I appreciate the concern." He gave her a big smile.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:50 AM   #95 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:
Well, that was settled then. He (or his aunt) would get in touch with his contact and Jane would discuss matters with Gerulf. As for MLE, "With the exit of Goldwasser, I'm not really sure what the department is like, but I'll work on getting you an appointment with someone who might be able to help." Perhaps Saul would be the best person for her to discuss things with for now. Conley knew he could trust him and well, MLE should really hear anything Jane might have to say about the Alliance and it's members. He'd send him a memo when he got back to his desk.

He waved her her concerns about his injuries. "I have a....thing..." his eyes took on a slightly far away, cloudy, and sad look for a moment, but Conley shook his head and then focused back on Jane. He did not want to talk about his dead wife right now. "About healers and hospitals. But I did see one and the salve they gave is helping. Yours did too, but the magic Goldwasser used was a strong one and it took me longer then it probably should to get help after the fire went out." Because he and Saul had gone to help corral another member of the Alliance. "I appreciate the concern." He gave her a big smile.

Jane smiled back. "Yes, magical injuries are always more difficult and can be...tricky sometimes. But don't hesitate to see your healer if it should fail to make progress in a few weeks, or especially if it gets worse. Don't let your emotions about healers cause you to let yourself get really ill." She peered over at him to make sure that what she said had sunk in. She was not above playing the 'governess' again if it was necessary. "And thank you for your help. I knew you probably had more knowledge of what was going on abroad than I did and could advise me and, well, I feel I can trust you."

Jane sat back in her chair, confident now that her business was handled for the time being, and observed with some amusement the attempts of the cat to attract Conley's attention again. "Have you made a friend there, then? It obviously wants to come with you, you know."
Old 05-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #96 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Conley’s head tilted to the side as Jane chastised him about going to see a healer. It certainly made him feel like he was back at Hogwarts getting yelled at by a professor. But while another man might have been insulted by it, it merely amused Conley. Which was why he was smiling. ”Oh Sachin has already threatened to drag me kicking and screaming to see a healer.” He was teasing. Well, partly. Because Sachin had truly threatened him with the healers and worse, St. Mungo’s and Conley knew that Sachin would make good on that threat if he felt he needed too. ”I’m always happy to help Jane. Truly. Being helpful makes me feel…” he took a moment to search for the right word. ”Fulfilled.” It was an invitation. Jane was always welcome to ask him for advice or help or just for a cup of tea.

Of which he was out. He looked into the bottom of his cup, swirling around a few tea leafs. The cat on his lap was busy butting its head against his hand holding the cup. He sighed and put the cup down. It appeared another cup of tea would have to wait. ”It seems I have. Too bad I don’t think Sachin would look kindly on another creature to take care of at home.” He started scratching the cat behind the ears and a loud purr filled the air. ”He’s already got a baby and an adult baby to take care of.” He chuckled. The adult baby was himself obviously and yes, he did help out around the house, but it sure seemed like Sachin often took on a lot of the nurturing aspect. ”Besides, I’m not sure how our dog Duke would take to you.” The last bit he said to the cat.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:32 PM   #97 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:

Of which he was out. He looked into the bottom of his cup, swirling around a few tea leafs. The cat on his lap was busy butting its head against his hand holding the cup. He sighed and put the cup down. It appeared another cup of tea would have to wait. ”It seems I have. Too bad I don’t think Sachin would look kindly on another creature to take care of at home.” He started scratching the cat behind the ears and a loud purr filled the air. ”He’s already got a baby and an adult baby to take care of.” He chuckled. The adult baby was himself obviously and yes, he did help out around the house, but it sure seemed like Sachin often took on a lot of the nurturing aspect. ”Besides, I’m not sure how our dog Duke would take to you.” The last bit he said to the cat.
Jane smiled, too. She was well aware that chiding a grown colleague about going to the healer was rather out of place, but she felt that Conley was a friend by now and couldn't resist it. Good thing his husband, Sachin, seemed to have a good deal of practical sense. Jane was pretty sure he wouldn't let Conley get too sick without intervening.

Jane looked down at the cat as well, as she continued drinking her coffee. "Well, in general, cats usually manage to take care of themselves," she observed. It was really a pity that Conley seemed so reluctant to take the cat on--it really seemed to go home with him. Jane would have taken the cat herself, but she wasn't the one who had been invited. Still, Conley knew his household situation better than she did. "Still, I suppose you know best. Pity, though. Maybe the cat will still be here if you should change your mind later." Jane supposed that a married person would need to consult their spouse before taking on a new pet and guessed. One thing about living alone, one could do as one pleased.

Jane finished her coffee, wiped out the inside of her mug with a handkerchief, and prepared to leave.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:35 AM   #98 (permalink)

DMLE & DIMC
Mooncalf

Ministry RPG Name:
Conley Singh-Phora

Ministry RPG Name:
Hugo I. Bumble
Law Enforcement
x1

Quote:
Jane smiled, too. She was well aware that chiding a grown colleague about going to the healer was rather out of place, but she felt that Conley was a friend by now and couldn't resist it. Good thing his husband, Sachin, seemed to have a good deal of practical sense. Jane was pretty sure he wouldn't let Conley get too sick without intervening.

Jane looked down at the cat as well, as she continued drinking her coffee. "Well, in general, cats usually manage to take care of themselves," she observed. It was really a pity that Conley seemed so reluctant to take the cat on--it really seemed to go home with him. Jane would have taken the cat herself, but she wasn't the one who had been invited. Still, Conley knew his household situation better than she did. "Still, I suppose you know best. Pity, though. Maybe the cat will still be here if you should change your mind later." Jane supposed that a married person would need to consult their spouse before taking on a new pet and guessed. One thing about living alone, one could do as one pleased.

Jane finished her coffee, wiped out the inside of her mug with a handkerchief, and prepared to leave.

Indeed, Conley's husband had a great deal of practical sense. And level headedness. And a joie de vivre that Conley greatly lacked. In fact, Sachin was Conley's compliment in many many ways. It was perhaps why they worked so well together. Even the idea made Conley smile in a way that implied he was happy, deep down to his core. It was a happiness he indeed owed all to Sachin and the family Sachin was responsible for helping him make.

"Cat's take care of themselves, eh?" he chuckled at that. "That's good. That's very good. I will have to try that on Sachin." He gave the cat another scratch behind the ears. And if Sachin said no, then maybe Conley could keep the cat in his office. Merlin knew he spent enough time there that the cat shouldn't feel unwanted or underappreciated. "Do you have plans for the holidays?" he asked honestly curious. "I think we shall be going to be spending them in India."
Old 05-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #99 (permalink)

Alley Proprietor

DoM
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Tapio DeVries
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Hope Archard
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jane Elspeth Howard
Mysteries

Quote:

"Cat's take care of themselves, eh?" he chuckled at that. "That's good. That's very good. I will have to try that on Sachin." He gave the cat another scratch behind the ears. ... "Do you have plans for the holidays?" he asked honestly curious. "I think we shall be going to be spending them in India."
Jane smiled to see Conley again scratching the cat--perhaps this feline would get its wish after all today. Then she looked up at his question. "The holidays? No, I hadn't really thought about them, there's been a lot going on. And now I need to think about some things." Jane paused a moment, doing a little thinking now. "I might just spend the holidays in Germany," she said finally, with a small smile.