sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1099 users online including...
PhoenixRising , Stevendalo , astrocat , Zoe , BrandonDar

7 members
1092 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 50: September - December 2018

Term 50: September - December 2018 Term Fifty: Austere Academy (Sept 2096 - June 2097)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-11-2018, 04:52 AM

Default Arithmancy Lesson two

The Arithmancy classroom was set up a bit differently. The left half of the room was set up as usual with rows of desks, perfectly lined up and equally spaced. The only change from what was usually seen was a single wooden box on each desk.

However, the right half of the room was set up with colorful floor pillows, low tables, and scattered stacks of clip boards. Plush blankets were piled every few stations on the right side and were available to any students wishing to be a bit more comfortable. Each cushion area had one wooden box for each student sitting on the ground.

Written in bold letters on the chalkboard:
Please enter quietly and choose a seat you feel best represents your personality. NOTE: Please do not touch the boxes.

Professor Davis could be found standing near his desk, leaning against the edge of the chalkboard. He watched, curious if his predictions would be proven true or false, as the students picked their side.

OOC: Welcome to Arithmancy lesson 2. Please come in and choose a side. Class will start in about 24 hours. Class has started

Welcome and first question: Why did you choose the side of the room?
Mini-activity: Calculating your Rational Thought Number
Second question: How can you use what you have learned?
Final Activity: Choose your partner.
So long, farewell: Class ending
Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post

Maybe preferring practicality over comfort could be considered a personality trait, he hadn't thought of it like that. Max nodded at Professor Davis' words and then flicked through his Arithmancy textbook to read a bit more about this so called Rational Thought Number. So this number was supposed to reveal that he was more of a desk sitter rather than a cushion sitter? We'll see about that.

Before he could finish his calculations, however, he found himself peeking over at Bel's. Or actually, scratch that.... Belinda's. Huh. Max adjusted his glasses and scooched his chair a tad closer to get a better look at her work.

"I mean, the quick thinking thing definitely sounds about right," he suggested encouragingly after seeing the first line. Hopefully, she wouldn't mind his input. "You surf and race motorbikes and a bunch of other crazy stuff that needs you to think on your feet if you don't wanna end up breaking all your bones."
His glasses were a good look for him Bel felt. Not that she was distracted or anything. She blinked and then brightened considerably when he spoke up.

"You reckon? I dunno about the cunning bit though.... although I do like to win." Yeah in the 'crazy stuff' that Max mentioned. "How about yours?"

If they were gonna get in trouble for talking well... yolo. Bel had forgotten about that risk.

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you
Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1
connoisseur of comfort ❅ Crayola's Wibby Mrs Alex Turner ❅ Netflix and meow

SPOILER!!: Bel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post
His glasses were a good look for him Bel felt. Not that she was distracted or anything. She blinked and then brightened considerably when he spoke up.

"You reckon? I dunno about the cunning bit though.... although I do like to win." Yeah in the 'crazy stuff' that Max mentioned. "How about yours?"

If they were gonna get in trouble for talking well... yolo. Bel had forgotten about that risk.

Yeah, he wasn't entirely sure he agreed with the cunning part either. "I suppose it's just a generalisation......" In other words, it was probably just a dud like Divination was.

He was still curious about what his was going to say though, and Max chewed on his bottom lip as he concentrated on getting his calculations perfect.
Quote:
M A X T O N
4 + 1 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 5 = 24
2 + 4 = 6

September 12th
1 + 2 = 3

6 + 3 = 9
"Apparently I'm a 9." Which meant he was Rational Thought Number buddies with Professor Davis. He flicked to the right page and read the paragraph through three times. Honestly? He wasn't sure he resonated with any of it. He pulled a face and slid his textbook towards Bel so she could have a look.

Quote:
NINE (9): You are always aware of the expectations of others, and you hold off on expressing your opinion until everyone has had their say; then you point to the mistakes and the things that were overlooked. Your success in solving problems and in finding answers is the result of a process of elimination, more than it is a matter of stringing together logical answers.

_____________Take part in our Higgledy Piggledy House Cup!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Quote:

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Yeah, he wasn't entirely sure he agreed with the cunning part either. "I suppose it's just a generalisation......" In other words, it was probably just a dud like Divination was.

He was still curious about what his was going to say though, and Max chewed on his bottom lip as he concentrated on getting his calculations perfect.

"Apparently I'm a 9." Which meant he was Rational Thought Number buddies with Professor Davis. He flicked to the right page and read the paragraph through three times. Honestly? He wasn't sure he resonated with any of it. He pulled a face and slid his textbook towards Bel so she could have a look.

"I guess." Bel definitely didn't think much of this aspect of arithmancy, that was for sure, though she was trying vry hard.

Oh a 9?

".... a 9 out of 10." Bel quipped immediately, in a whisper. Cough Cough. Ahem. But she did go ahead and read the meaning with interest. More interest than she had for her own really.

Huh. But that didn't sound very much like Max to her. "I think you're plenty good at logic," which it was saying he wasn't? Stupid textbook, didn't it know how clever he was? At least in Bel's eyes. "I do think you are aware of other people's expectations and you don't speak up sometimes but that's just your shy side." Which she liked so, that was just fine to her.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

DMT & DMGS
Antipodean Opaleye

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Maggie Woods
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Levi Jourdan
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Hwang Minji
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Finlay Bracken
Transportation
x4 x2
PHILOMATH ❅ not one atom, but two ♪ ♪ made of starstuff ❅ def main():

Sylvie had hoped for a little more discussion before they dived straight into the maths part of the lesson. Yes, sure, Arithmancy and all that, but..... arithmetic, as they'd called it back at her old school, before Hogwarts. Call it whatever, it's always confusing, always hard to calculate and never fun. Plus, most of the time the things the textbook said were just flat out wrong.

Anyways.

Almost missing Bel's look, Sylvie mirrored her expression before pulling her drawing pencil from her pocket, as well as a rubber (because mistakes), and set to work.

Quote:
S Y L V A N A S
1+7+3+4+1+5+1+1 = 8+7+8 = 16+7 = 20+3 = 23 :: 2+3 = 5

November 18th, 1+8=9

=> 5+9=14 :: 1+4 = 5.
Huh. Five. The mint haired sixth year flipped her textbook to the relevant page, hauling it out of her bag with a sigh, and frowned at the description.

Text Cut: Textbook
FIVE (5): You have a flexible and adaptable mind. You are quick with solutions, and you can think on your feet. You have the cunning of a fox. You can talk yourself out of the tightest situations, but your priority is often winning the contest, not being right. You love to reinvent the wheel. You have no fear of trying an approach that seems far-fetched to others. Your adaptability is unique and you often manage to turn a difficult situation around to make it work in your favor.

That's... Well that's obviously nothing like her at all. Yet another proof that she should have changed her name last year, or that her parents probably shouldn't have named her after an anti-hero from a video game. Growing up she'd loved being called Sylvanas, she was so proud of it, but Sylvie's pretty sure she's outgrown the name.

Glancing around her, she shrugged and tried again for Sylvie.

Quote:
S Y L V I E
1+7+3+4+9+5 = 8+7+9+5 = 10+5+10+4 = 29 :: 2+9 = 11 :: 1+1 = 2

=> 2+9 = 11 :: 1+1 = 2.
Okay! Two! Or.. wait, there's an eleven two. Peering curiously down, Sylvie slowly read through the text, and then sighed again.

ELEVEN (11/2): The 11 is the illuminator. You have answers and insights based on the proverbial light bulb. Your Rational Thought number is the most magical and difficult to understand (for others). You have the makings of an inventor, or a spiritual guide. You would do well relying heavily on your intuition. You sense things more accurately than you analyze.

Uhhhhhhhhh... As a last ditch effort to find SOMETHING in this book that'll fit her, Sylvie checked the entry for two.

TWO (2): You take the subtle approach. You allow your intuition to be a large part of your intellectual explorations. You are open to the ideas of others, and you may be a little too easily influenced. When you consider a project or face a problem, you have a tendency to allow too many alternatives to cloud the issue. However, when it comes to recognizing the many possible variations, and how they may effect the outcome, you are hard to beat. You have an uncanny ability to plan projects and solve problems which require a large number of people to actively participate, while at the same time maintaining a sense of harmony and unity among those involved.

.............................. Well, it's the best out of the three? SIGH.

"Hey, psssst, Bel, Maxton," Sylvie leaned forward over her desk, tapping them on their shoulders. She caught the end of their conversation, with Bel saying something about Maxton's shy side. Did Maxton have a not shy side? Tbh, she's not sure. "What did you guys get? Nothing fits me..."

_____________I could still change the end
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #30 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

A 9 out of 10!?! It wasn’t quite a 10 out of 10 but it was close enough. He’d take it! Max sent a knowing look and a playful smile in Bel’s direction but was quick to turn his focus back to the textbook and the task at hand before she distracted him too much.

He disagreed with the logic part too. He was all about critical thinking and that bit about finding answers by process of elimination sounded like complete and utter tosh.

Just as he was about to say that yep, the not speaking up part was the only bit that really seemed to be a fit, he felt a tap on his shoulder and Max spun around in his seat. Oh hi Sylvie. “Yeah, mine was pretty lame as well…” Sorry, Professor Davis.

“Oh hey, you got a five? So did Bel,” he observed casually, craaaaaaning his neck to get a nosy look at the Gryffindor’s parchment. He peered in the Professor’s direction to make sure the coast was clear before turning back to Sylvie and lowering his voice, “Y’know, I reckon you can probably get away with just making some stuff up.” This was one of those classes where there ‘wasn’t a right answer’ after all.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #31 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
Default Professor questionnn

SPOILER!!: Max and Sylvie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

"Hey, psssst, Bel, Maxton," Sylvie leaned forward over her desk, tapping them on their shoulders. She caught the end of their conversation, with Bel saying something about Maxton's shy side. Did Maxton have a not shy side? Tbh, she's not sure. "What did you guys get? Nothing fits me..."
Quote:
A 9 out of 10!?! It wasn’t quite a 10 out of 10 but it was close enough. He’d take it! Max sent a knowing look and a playful smile in Bel’s direction but was quick to turn his focus back to the textbook and the task at hand before she distracted him too much.

He disagreed with the logic part too. He was all about critical thinking and that bit about finding answers by process of elimination sounded like complete and utter tosh.

Just as he was about to say that yep, the not speaking up part was the only bit that really seemed to be a fit, he felt a tap on his shoulder and Max spun around in his seat. Oh hi Sylvie. “Yeah, mine was pretty lame as well…” Sorry, Professor Davis.

“Oh hey, you got a five? So did Bel,” he observed casually, craaaaaaning his neck to get a nosy look at the Gryffindor’s parchment. He peered in the Professor’s direction to make sure the coast was clear before turning back to Sylvie and lowering his voice, “Y’know, I reckon you can probably get away with just making some stuff up.” This was one of those classes where there ‘wasn’t a right answer’ after all.

"Yeah I got a five!" Bel said, perking up just because someone as cool as Sylvie apparently shared her number. But yeahh it WAS pretty weird, some of the stuff in there. "I used my full name though, from my birth certificate, but I never actually use it." SO. Y'KNOW? And she could see from Sylvie's paper... the same situation. Because EVERYONE called Sylvie Sylvie.

She shot Max a big grin at the 'make things up' thing. Like divination all over again right? Though she did quite like the professor....

She decided on putting her hand up.

"Excuse me, professor? What should we do about if we don't properly go by our first names? Like if you have a nickname that is more your name than your actual name?" Was it dumb that she didn't know the answer to that? Hopefully Max didn't think so.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

Quote:
SPOILER!!: Max and Sylvie

"Yeah I got a five!" Bel said, perking up just because someone as cool as Sylvie apparently shared her number. But yeahh it WAS pretty weird, some of the stuff in there. "I used my full name though, from my birth certificate, but I never actually use it." SO. Y'KNOW? And she could see from Sylvie's paper... the same situation. Because EVERYONE called Sylvie Sylvie.

She shot Max a big grin at the 'make things up' thing. Like divination all over again right? Though she did quite like the professor....

She decided on putting her hand up.

"Excuse me, professor? What should we do about if we don't properly go by our first names? Like if you have a nickname that is more your name than your actual name?" Was it dumb that she didn't know the answer to that? Hopefully Max didn't think so.
Seeing Bel's hand go up started Foster in motion towards her desk. "Good question. The traditional way of finding your rational thought number is to use your full first name as given at birth. However, I do feel there is a lot to consider when it comes to nicknames that have become more of a real name. My recommendation is to calculate your rational thought number both ways, then decide which best fits you."
Old 11-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Seeing Bel's hand go up started Foster in motion towards her desk. "Good question. The traditional way of finding your rational thought number is to use your full first name as given at birth. However, I do feel there is a lot to consider when it comes to nicknames that have become more of a real name. My recommendation is to calculate your rational thought number both ways, then decide which best fits you."
Oh well that was potentially useful. Bel shot a grin over her shoulder at Sylvie, did she think that it was better that way? Anyway, Bel had to do her number over just to check now.

Quote:
B E L I N D A
2 5 3 9 5 4 1

December 3rd

(2 + 5 + 3 + 9 + 5 + 4 + 1) + 3 =
(2 + 9) + 3 =
(1+1) +3 =
2 + 3 = 5

B E L
2 5 3

December 3rd

(2 + 5 + 3 ) + 3 =
(1 + 0) + 3 =
1 + 3 = 4
Huh. So it was 4 or 5?

Bel compared the two. Well they sounded like opposites didn't they? One said no reinventing wheels and one said reinventing them? Bel grabbed her pencil and crossed out the bits that deeeefinitely didn't seem to apply to her, though there were other bits that probably didn't too, it was just the REALLY definitely not her bits that she crossed out.

Quote:
FOUR (4): You are the practical, methodical thinker. You think things through step by step, and you are almost always well-prepared when others question your reasoning. You may be a little rigid in your approach and you tend to be uncomfortable with new, unproven ideas. You avoid risks, in favor of established procedures. You have no desire to reinvent the wheel. Others tend to trust your judgments and value your participation, in particular because you often function as the proverbial rock in rough waters. You are a stabilizing voice when involved in team projects, especially when chaos tends to take over.

FIVE (5): You have a flexible and adaptable mind. You are quick with solutions, and you can think on your feet. You have the cunning of a fox. You can talk yourself out of the tightest situations, but your priority is often winning the contest, not being right. You love to reinvent the wheel. You have no fear of trying an approach that seems far-fetched to others. Your adaptability is unique and you often manage to turn a difficult situation around to make it work in your favor.
Well there was more crossed out for four than five, but Bel still wasn't completely sure of either. Sighhhh. She rubbed her forehead and then just tried to do what she did in Divination... just.... kind of make stuff up. Or.... or just be honest? Bel decided to just go for honesty.

Quote:
My full name which I never go by is Belinda, I always only go by Bel, so I calculated both numbers. Belinda gives me a 5 for rational thought and Bel gives me a 4. I don't know if I'm just really bad at this but its hard to figure out which fits when there are so many conflicting bits. I guess overall the 5 actually fits better but mostly I can only say which things aren't like me more than which things are because nothing really jumps out as being really accurate.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #34 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

He didn't think Bel's question was dumb in the slightest. If anything, Max thought it was a super smart question. Because sure, the Arithmancy rules said you were supposed to go by the name given at birth but as far as he was concerned Bel was a Bel, not a Belinda. And Sylvie was a Sylvie, not a Sylvanas. And if this whole thing was about personality he figured it was more important to go by the name that matched their personalities more...... right????

The same didn't really ring true for him though. He was Max OR Maxton. Sure, he preferred Max but ultimately, he wasn't really all that bothered.

And besides, he'd done the maths quickly in his head and the Rational Thought Number for just Max was ALSO a 5 and he wasn't nearly as cool as Bel or Sylvie, so...... that was out of the question.

Max pulled a face at both girls before leaning over his parchment and doing what he did best. Blagging a bunch of stuff.

Quote:
My Rational Thought Number is: 9.

Firstly, I don't really know how accurate any of this stuff is because some of it makes some sense and other bits make zero sense. Anyway, I do tend to hold off on expressing my opinion. Sometimes even when everyone has had their say I still won’t give my input, even if I have noticed mistakes or oversights. I don’t really like speaking out so that part is kind of true. But I’m proud of my problem-solving skills and definitely think I look at things logically so I strongly disagree with that part.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

After answering captain’s question, Professor Davis strolled slowly around the room, making sure no one else needed anything. He loved hearing the quiet conversations going on about what they were discovering. He was also glad they felt like they were able to discuss their findings with each other.

“Looks like your calculations are coming along nicely. We have about five more minutes before we move on.”

OOC: About 24 hours left to complete finding your rational thought number and writing down if you agree with it. Also, if you are just joining us, please feel free to catch up. Just post as if your charrie has been in class the entire time, unless you would like IC consequences.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #36 (permalink)

DMLE & DMAC
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kalie Carter-Hope Gellar
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Ronan Victor Carter
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Alfred Ludovic Devereaux
Accidents & Catastrophes
x7 x4
Dem Carters | even 🕊🕊 have pride | | Expecto PAWtronum 🐈 | U-NA-GI

Archer hadn't really been able to explain why she'd chosen to sit on the side of the room with the cushions as opposed to the desk, but then it seemed like she wasn't the only one either. So, rather than add to that, she kept silent. Though, the discussion didn't really add anything to the topic at hand in her opinion, though she kept that to herself as well.

Grabbing a clipboard and a fresh piece of parchment, she paused before letting her quill hit the page. Um, their birth name? She hardly used the name Sterling. Then, she overheard Professor Davis telling Bel that she could try it both ways to see which fit her better. Good.

Quote:
S T E R L I N G
1+2+5+9+3+9+5+7=41 4+1=5
27+5=32 3+2=5

My rational thought number is 5.

A R C H E R
1+9+3+8+5+9=35 3+5=8
27+8=35 3+5=8

My rational thought number here is 8.
Hmm, interesting.

Quote:
I actually calculated my rational thought using both my birth name and my preferred nickname. Interestingly enough, I think both fit me equally well, as my birth name Sterling gives me a number of five, which says that I have a flexible and adaptable mind and that I can think on my feet. However, Archer, my nickname, gives me a number of eight, which says that I'm a visionary and focus on the big picture and that I love to blow people's minds.

You are Salt!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Professor Davis made his way back to the front of the classroom and stood next to his desk. “Time to move on with today’s lesson.” He flicked his wand towards the chalkboard and erased the calculations, leaving only the number chart. “I assume some of you felt your rational thought number was right on with your personality, while others probably felt it was completely wrong. Either way, I’d like for you to keep an open mind and focus on the positives about your results.” As with any prediction, he was well aware that life circumstances could alter how one's personality developed, as well as stage of life.

“Now that you all have had a chance to go over the different rational thought numbers, I have a question for you. Why do you feel it’s good to know this information? Or, in what way could you use this information to help better understand yourself or someone you are working with?” He hoped to spark the thought of using the information to better work with another student, or as an adult, a colleague or boss.

OOC: *Quick note: sorry for the short post tonight without individual replies. My 5 year old fell today and hit his eye, cutting his cornea. He’s not a happy camper right now.* Great job to everyone. I see all of your posts!! Thank you so much for your participation so far. You have about 24-36 hours to answer the question before we move on to the next activity. Please feel free to catch up if you are just now joining us or if you haven’t completed any of the parts yet. You are also welcome to use this nifty RTN calculator if you don’t wish to do the calculations yourself, but want to continue with the lesson.

Last edited by Birchwoodmom; 11-17-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #38 (permalink)

MO & DMAC

Crumple-Horned Snorkack

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Giselle Barrington
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sable Ileana Armstrong
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Skye Tamerlane
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Jemma McCrae
Minister's Office
x5 x3
Shoe!Girl │ Rebel Ravie │ Confundus Queen │ RP Addict

Still trying to figure out exactly if she agreed with what the textbook said as far as her rational thought number should mean, Stasya’s head had gone up at the sound of Bel’s question and then the response. Namely, that they could try out nicknames if it was what they’d usually gone by. And, considering she could probably count the people who called her by her full first name on one hand, she therefore scribbled a bit more onto her parchment.
SPOILER!!: notes addition
Stasya
1+2+1+1+7+1= 13
1+3=4
October 10
1+0=1
4+1=5

By the time she’d finished copying down the textbook analysis, the lesson had continued and she’d looked up at the professor again. There went trying to decide if that number really fit her better than the first try, and she’d gone back to wondering why arithmancy had to be so complicated. Different complicated from things like her research, of course, and it had suddenly made her wonder about other things. “Maybe knowing someone’s numbers helps in figuring out how to work with them? You can find out if their personalities match up with yours or if you should expect problems. Also, can pets have a rational thought number too?,” she asked, raising her hand.

She was just curious. Obviously she’d have to know her pets’ birthdays, but it was hypothetical anyway.

...It must be exhausting, always rooting for the anti-hero
Old 11-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #39 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12

Quote:
Professor Davis made his way back to the front of the classroom and stood next to his desk. “Time to move on with today’s lesson.” He flicked his wand towards the chalkboard and erased the calculations, leaving only the number chart. “I assume some of you felt your rational thought number was right on with your personality, while others probably felt it was completely wrong. Either way, I’d like for you to keep an open mind and focus on the positives about your results.” As with any prediction, he was well aware that life circumstances could alter how one's personality developed, as well as stage of life.

“Now that you all have had a chance to go over the different rational thought numbers, I have a question for you. Why do you feel it’s good to know this information? Or, in what way could you use this information to help better understand yourself or someone you are working with?” He hoped to spark the thought of using the information to better work with another student, or as an adult, a colleague or boss.

OOC: *Quick note: sorry for the short post tonight without individual replies. My 5 year old fell today and hit his eye, cutting his cornea. He’s not a happy camper right now.* Great job to everyone. I see all of your posts!! Thank you so much for your participation so far. You have about 24-36 hours to answer the question before we move on to the next activity. Please feel free to catch up if you are just now joining us or if you haven’t completed any of the parts yet. You are also welcome to use this nifty RTN calculator if you don’t wish to do the calculations yourself, but want to continue with the lesson.
Moving on? Oh good! Hopefully things would perk up a bit. She was TRYING but this was not her bag, even with a good professor this stuff was just sooooooooooooooo tedious to the Australian girl.

She listened to the question and put her hand up. "Maybe its good because even if you don't believe it or you don't think it applies, it makes you stop and think about yourself and reflect on your strengths and weaknesses?" Because honestly Bel didn't think that it was helpful to her in any other ways, but she was trying to look on the bright side.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #40 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

Max, who had been absent-mindedly doodling on the corner of his parchment, looked up when Professor Davis moved the lesson on and asked them a question. He listened to the answers from his classmates and then raised his own hand in the air.

"Yeah, like the strengths and weakness thing Bel said," Max piped up, quickly scanning through chapter 13 and resting his finger on one of the paragraphs. "Say you know someone you're working with is a number 3.... you maybe wouldn't wanna give them some dull, boring, mundane task to do because they're creative thinkers and you might not be getting the best out of them."

Hopefully that made sense out loud, because it did in his brain.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #41 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

SPOILER!!: replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
Still trying to figure out exactly if she agreed with what the textbook said as far as her rational thought number should mean, Stasya’s head had gone up at the sound of Bel’s question and then the response. Namely, that they could try out nicknames if it was what they’d usually gone by. And, considering she could probably count the people who called her by her full first name on one hand, she therefore scribbled a bit more onto her parchment.
SPOILER!!: notes addition
Stasya
1+2+1+1+7+1= 13
1+3=4
October 10
1+0=1
4+1=5

By the time she’d finished copying down the textbook analysis, the lesson had continued and she’d looked up at the professor again. There went trying to decide if that number really fit her better than the first try, and she’d gone back to wondering why arithmancy had to be so complicated. Different complicated from things like her research, of course, and it had suddenly made her wonder about other things. “Maybe knowing someone’s numbers helps in figuring out how to work with them? You can find out if their personalities match up with yours or if you should expect problems. Also, can pets have a rational thought number too?,” she asked, raising her hand.

She was just curious. Obviously she’d have to know her pets’ birthdays, but it was hypothetical anyway.
As soon as he had finished asking the question, Ms. Dalgaard-Volkova was ready to answer. "Yes. Knowing their rational thought number could help you in working with them and it would help you predict if their may be some issues, personality wise, that might pop up." He listened closely her follow up question. "I suppose a pet could have a rational thought number. I don't know why not. They do have unique personalities, just like we do."

Quote:
Moving on? Oh good! Hopefully things would perk up a bit. She was TRYING but this was not her bag, even with a good professor this stuff was just sooooooooooooooo tedious to the Australian girl.

She listened to the question and put her hand up. "Maybe its good because even if you don't believe it or you don't think it applies, it makes you stop and think about yourself and reflect on your strengths and weaknesses?" Because honestly Bel didn't think that it was helpful to her in any other ways, but she was trying to look on the bright side.
Next, he saw Ms. Macindoe's hand go up. "Yes, Ms. Macindoe, that's a very true, and wise, response. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, or even potential weaknesses, can help us better ourselves and even work more harmoniously with others."

Quote:
Max, who had been absent-mindedly doodling on the corner of his parchment, looked up when Professor Davis moved the lesson on and asked them a question. He listened to the answers from his classmates and then raised his own hand in the air.

"Yeah, like the strengths and weakness thing Bel said," Max piped up, quickly scanning through chapter 13 and resting his finger on one of the paragraphs. "Say you know someone you're working with is a number 3.... you maybe wouldn't wanna give them some dull, boring, mundane task to do because they're creative thinkers and you might not be getting the best out of them."

Hopefully that made sense out loud, because it did in his brain.
His eye caught Mr. Carden's hand and he nodded for his response. "Excellent. That is a fantastic way to make use of the information. Knowing not only your own strengths and weaknesses, but those of your team makes or co-workers, can save you from some poor outcomes."

“Our final task of the day will be to see how we can put those rational thought numbers to use.” He walked forward and picked up one of the small wooden boxes from the front row of desks. “In each box, you will find one famous witch and/or wizard combo.” Foster opened up the box and revealed the folded piece of parchment inside. “Your task is to calculate the rational thought number for each person on your slip of parchment, then decide who you would rather team up with based solely on those numbers.” He gently closed the box and placed it back on the desk. “Now, knowing what sort of task that may be before you might influence your decision. Let us imagine that Hogwarts has been taken over by less than desirable Witch or Wizard and it’s your job to team up with one of the pair to plan a way to remove them from the school.” As he finished, he realized that some of the students may be thinking of a certain headmaster, so he quickly added. “Similar to all those years ago when Dolores Umbridge was at Hogwarts. For the sake of our lesson, let us assume that all of the witches and wizards on your slips of paper are on the side of Hogwarts and removing the troublesome intruder.”

With a flick of his wand, the steps appeared on the chalkboard.
Quote:
1: Calculate the Rational Thought Number for both witches/wizards in the box
2: Compare their Rational Thought Number with your Rational Thought Number and decide who you would want on your team.
3: Write down why you chose the witch or wizard as your team mate.

"Now, there isn't one right or wrong answer for which witch or wizard you should pick. As long as you have a reason for your choice." He glanced around, hoping they were all following. "For example, I might pick someone with a very similar set of personality traits in hopes that we might get along better. On the other hand, I may choose to go with someone that is a complete opposite, so we can bring strengths from both sides." Foster leaned against his desk. "You have twenty minutes to do your calculations and write a short paragraph stating why you made your choice. If you have any questions, please raise your hand and I'll come to you."

SPOILER!!: Witch/Wizard combos

Choose any pair. a,b,c,d, or e

a)Harry Potter July 31, 1980
a)Draco Malfoy June 5th, 1980

b)Severus Snape January 9th, 1960
b)Newton Artemis Fido Scamander February 24th, 1897

c)Sirius Black November 3rd, 1959
c)Rubeus Hagrid December 6th, 1928

d)Hermione Jean Granger September 19, 1979
d)Remus John Lupin March 10th, 1960

e)Ronald Weasley March 1st, 1980
e)Neville Longbottom July 30th, 1980

OOC: Great job! Thanks for hanging in there, even with some site hiccups. All you need to do is calculate the rational thought number for both in your pair of choice. I've included a link in the steps above that will give you a calculator so you don't have to do it by hand. Pick which one of the two your charrie would want to team up with and why. Please feel free to join in or catch up. You will have about 72 hours to complete our final activity before we start wrapping up. Please let me know if you have any questions. Skype, PM, VM, carrier pigeon...
Old 11-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #42 (permalink)

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

Hanna listened to the following question, and the responses to why it was good to know the rational thought number and its description. She sat and listened, not having many other suggestions that hadn't already been said. She was then listening to Professor Davis explain their next activity, and her head snapped up towards him when he mentioned an undesirable witch or wizard taking over the school. Such as Dolores Umbridge. Yes, Hanna had read all about that woman. The similarities from her and their current Headmaster, not to mention all the other men, had stuck out to her a while ago. But now Professor Davis was making a comment about it. Was he, too, wishing for something to happen?

Deciding that wasn't a thought that needed to be unpacked during this lesson, she went about starting the activity. The box she opened up came out with was D; Hermione Jean Granger September 19, 1979, and Remus John Lupin March 10th, 1960. Unrolling another piece of parchment, she wrote their names and birthdays to get started.

Quote:
8 + 5 + 9 + 4 + 9 + 6 + 5 + 5 = 51.
5 + 1 = 6.
6 + 1 + 9 = 16
1 + 6 = 7

Hermione's rational thought number is 7

9 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 1 = 22
2 + 2 = 4
4 + 1 + 0 = 5

Remus' rational thought number is 5
After thinking about it, and knowing that her original rational thought number of 4 was not a true representation of her at all, Hanna decided to go with number 22 instead. She referred back to her original piece of parchment, and looked up both of the other rational thought numbers

SPOILER!!: textbook
Hanna's
TWENTY-TWO (22/4): A combination of vision and system gives your Rational Thought number the most potential for success. You can switch quickly from the larger picture to any minute detail that requires your attention at that time. You dream big, and you have the capacity to lay a foundation for your dream that gives clear directions for each step, each little detail, that needs to be take care of. This reveals a strong intuitive side in you. Premonitions and an intuitive assessment of future effects are strong aspects that can be used and strengthened.

Hermione's
SEVEN (7): You are never satisfied with a simple answer. You tend to delve into all the aspects of a question until you feel you understand the problem completely. Then you proceed to solve it with clarity and without hesitation. Few people are able to compete with you when it comes to finding answers. You recognize the underlying factors in a problem situation before anyone else, and you are often able to analyze them in a unique and insightful way. You are a perfectionist and quickly frustrated when you work with people who like to take short-cuts. You appreciate quality more than quantity in any situation.

Remus'

Writing on the same piece of parchment that she did her calculations for Hermione and Remus, Hanna set about writing dot points in favour of having them work with her, and the students, in the battle of overcoming the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchment
In favour of Hermione:
  • Not satisfied with a simple answer, and delving into a problem until she understood it completely, any sort of half-effort attempt at removing the troublesome Wizard might not go past her eyes. The answer is to remove them - and Hermione would be sure to look into it from all angles until she was sure there was a way that covered all of the smaller aspects.
  • Without hesitation would be very important. I think I would hesitate a lot because I'd be scared of getting in trouble. But with Hermione, maybe she wouldn't let me, or any of us, hesitate. Once we decided on it, she would set about solving it without hesitating.
  • Recognising that there was a problem would be in Hermione's favour because I'm sure there would be many people that didn't believe us about it being a problem we couldn't just deal with. She perhaps wouldn't just see the troublesome Wizard as just that, but perhaps she'd see all of the things about them that was dangerous.
  • Shortcuts might sometimes mean mistakes, and if we were banding together to get rid of a troublesome Wizard I don't think taking shortcuts is something we could afford to do. Hermione would hold everyone accountable to the task and ensure it was done effectively and with good quality.

In favour of Remus:
  • Flexible and adaptable mind would come in handy because Remus' thoughts and solutions wouldn't be set in stone. And who knows what unanticipated movements the enemy might make?
  • This goes close to being quick with solutions, and thinking on his feet. I think if the troublesome Wizard was very skilled in a certain area, and had acted in a way we hadn't foreseen, being quick with a solution and thinking quickly would be a huge benefit.
  • If it DID go pear shape, Remus might be able to talk us all out of trouble by his cunning fox-like thought processing. Maybe not being right isn't an issue when it comes to this. Winning is all that matters. The troublesome Wizard MIGHT have had out best interests at heart, but we don't care if he does or doesn't. He's trouble and he needs to get out. Remus would push for victory.
  • Being able to reinvent the wheel, and having no fear of trying very far-fetched methods has its benefits and problems. Benefits would definitely work with being quick on his feet with solutions, because he might be able to try different methods of attack that nobody else could have possibly thought of, if we all thought on a more predicable way. But it's risky. Although he is cunning, so I'm sure we wouldn't think that it was risky, even if he lost. He would talk his way out of it, winning rather than being right.
  • The key with all of the above is that he could turn a difficult situation around to make it work in his, which would be our, favour. That is what we need.
She thought long and hard, comparing her rational thought number description to that of Hermione's and Remus', before deciding.

Quote:
I would like to pick Hermione. Remus has a lot of wonderful things in his favour, but I think my description would work best with Hermione. Mostly because I can look at the large picture, and minute details, as well as being able to lay a foundation for the fact that I'd want to get rid of this troublesome Wizard with clear directions for each step. I think that would work very well with Hermione, because she would want to understand each step very clearly until it made complete sense to her. I think Remus, on the other hand, is a bit more flexible and the way he works is not the same as myself. I think Remus and I might compliment each other, but Hermione and I would work better together.

EVASIVE | RESTLESS | MISUNDERSTOOD
always on the move
Old 11-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #43 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

All of the students appeared to be working without any troubles on their assigned task. He got up from his desk and made a quick walk around the room, checking to see if anyone had any questions. Foster paused a moment as he reached Ms. Newton's desk. The third year showed a lot of promise in the field of arithmancy and he noted how well thought out her responses were. Not wishing to distract her, he made his way back to the front of the room.

"You have about 8 more minutes to finish up the assignment."

OOC: About 24 hours left to finish up any part of the lesson. If you are just joining us, feel free to catch up.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

MO & DMAC

Crumple-Horned Snorkack

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Giselle Barrington
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sable Ileana Armstrong
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Skye Tamerlane
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Jemma McCrae
Minister's Office
x5 x3
Default lala I randomized my/Stas's choice :P
Shoe!Girl │ Rebel Ravie │ Confundus Queen │ RP Addict

To be honest, Stasya hadn’t known whether she had wanted to find out that arithmancy worked on pets or not. The question had sort of come out before she’d really thought about how it sounded, but then the fact that Professor Davis hadn’t taken it as anything other than a serious question had surprised her. Along with his idea that it was entirely possible, if not necessarily likely to happen. Plus, he hadn’t said her answer to the actual question posed was ridiculous, which made her relax noticeably more. Except for the fact they were going to have to analyze even more numbers and such, which only brought her back to the feeling that she still didn’t quite know if either of the rational thought numbers had really applied to herself. It was making her wonder if she actually knew herself, really.

Which she was entirely blaming on this term and the fact her world had essentially been overturned by all the changes. Stress was harder to deal with when she didn’t have her usual ways to relieve it, but she still quietly copied down the instructions for the activity before she reached for the box closest to her chosen cushion nest. Opening it, she sighed. Before even doing the calculations, she sort of knew who she’d want to work with, but she knew better than to bypass the instructions. Maybe they’d surprise her.

SPOILER!!: work
1+9+9+9+3+1=32
3+2=5
5+3=8
EIGHT (8): You are the visionary, and you focus on the larger picture. You ignore the details in favor of spectacular solutions. You love to blow someone's mind. You understand the balance between the rational and the irrational, and you have no problem combining the two. You have a vivid imagination and you are often surprised that other don't immediately grasp a concept that seems clear and logical to you. You have little patience when others allow fear and caution to slow down a project.
9+3+2+5+3+1=23
2+3=5
5+6=11, 1+1=2
ELEVEN (11/2): The 11 is the illuminator. You have answers and insights based on the proverbial light bulb. Your Rational Thought number is the most magical and difficult to understand (for others). You have the makings of an inventor, or a spiritual guide. You would do well relying heavily on your intuition. You sense things more accurately than you analyze.

As expected, neither answer really made things clear to her when it came to comparing them to her own rational thought number, mostly just because she was completely confused by either answer she’d gotten for her own. Not anything related to either of the two historical figures she’d calculated them for. Actually, those had weirdly made sense to her in relation to what she knew about the two figures. Way more than her own did, at least right now. Either way, she had to come up with some kind of response, so after a moment, she’d written down a bit more on her parchment.

SPOILER!!: more work
Before I did any of these calculations, I would’ve said that no matter what the result was, I’d want to work with Hagrid. I share his love of creatures, so I feel like I would relate to him more than I ever would have related to Sirius. Even if I share a house with him, I don’t feel like I’m like him and my numbers reflect that.

Except, maybe I’d be better off working with Sirius because he might help me to take risks when I’d rather avoid them. Even if I feel like I’ve gotten better at taking risks lately, I still would rather stick with what I know and he might challenge that.

...It must be exhausting, always rooting for the anti-hero
Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #45 (permalink)

DoM & AC
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Addison Ayers
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Sam Forrester
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Ava Clarke
Accidents & Catastrophes

Jackson was starting to feel a cold coming on, and his attention was mostly captured by his own sniffling. He was annoying himself. He had chosen a regular seat, but it was mostly because he had a headache and the colors weren’t helping.

Quote:
J A C K S O N = 1+1+3+2+1+6+5 … 19 … 1+9=10 … 1+0=1

Birthday: March 3 …

1+3=4
He opened his book and checked what his number was supposed to mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textbook
FOUR (4): You are the practical, methodical thinker. You think things through step by step, and you are almost always well-prepared when others question your reasoning. You may be a little rigid in your approach and you tend to be uncomfortable with new, unproven ideas. You avoid risks, in favor of established procedures. You have no desire to reinvent the wheel. Others tend to trust your judgments and value your participation, in particular because you often function as the proverbial rock in rough waters. You are a stabilizing voice when involved in team projects, especially when chaos tends to take over.
Jackson stared at the paragraph and couldn’t help but think that it was pretty accurate. Not that he had read any of the others to verify this, although he would probably be checking on his next break. He listened to the next instructions and couldn’t help but think they were reenacting the Battle of Hogwarts… When he opened his box, this was confirmed as all of the names were people associated with it. For their activity, Jackson decided to go with the Harry and Draco pairing… Mostly because he wondered what Harry Potter’s rational number was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchment and Textbook

H A R R Y = 8+1+9+9+7= 34 … 3+4=7 … 7+3+1= 11/2
The 11 is the illuminator. You have answers and insights based on the proverbial light bulb. Your Rational Thought number is the most magical and difficult to understand (for others). You have the makings of an inventor, or a spiritual guide. You would do well relying heavily on your intuition. You sense things more accurately than you analyze.

D R A C O = 4+9+1+3+6=23 … 2+3=5 … 5+5=10 =1
You are an independent thinker, original, and not easily influenced by others. You tend to pursue a line of thought stubbornly, and you can be dominating in intellectual discussions. You tend to solve problems and plan projects with a straight-forward approach. You rarely allow yourself to be distracted. Quite often, you realize at some later stage, that you did not pay enough attention to the available alternatives, and a project may find itself stuck with no chance of further advancement. When you find yourself facing such a situation your frustration tends to be considerable but of short duration. You simply start all over. You do not give up easily.
Jackson finished reading these paragraphs as well and had a little tough a time choosing between the two of them. He also wondered if Jessa was a 1 as well. He almost laughed. On the one hand, Harry’s number seemed to imply that he was just really lucky and had good intuition. Draco was more focused and motivated. After a few more minutes, he had decided.

Quote:
Out of the two listed, I chose Harry Potter as my ally. Although I agree with most of Draco’s way of thinking, it seems that he could be a bit more hot headed and difficult to work with. Harry would be of better help in the moment, and hopefully a lighter disposition.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12

Quote:
SPOILER!!: replies

Next, he saw Ms. Macindoe's hand go up. "Yes, Ms. Macindoe, that's a very true, and wise, response. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses, or even potential weaknesses, can help us better ourselves and even work more harmoniously with others."

His eye caught Mr. Carden's hand and he nodded for his response. "Excellent. That is a fantastic way to make use of the information. Knowing not only your own strengths and weaknesses, but those of your team makes or co-workers, can save you from some poor outcomes."

“Our final task of the day will be to see how we can put those rational thought numbers to use.” He walked forward and picked up one of the small wooden boxes from the front row of desks. “In each box, you will find one famous witch and/or wizard combo.” Foster opened up the box and revealed the folded piece of parchment inside. “Your task is to calculate the rational thought number for each person on your slip of parchment, then decide who you would rather team up with based solely on those numbers.” He gently closed the box and placed it back on the desk. “Now, knowing what sort of task that may be before you might influence your decision. Let us imagine that Hogwarts has been taken over by less than desirable Witch or Wizard and it’s your job to team up with one of the pair to plan a way to remove them from the school.” As he finished, he realized that some of the students may be thinking of a certain headmaster, so he quickly added. “Similar to all those years ago when Dolores Umbridge was at Hogwarts. For the sake of our lesson, let us assume that all of the witches and wizards on your slips of paper are on the side of Hogwarts and removing the troublesome intruder.”

With a flick of his wand, the steps appeared on the chalkboard.

"Now, there isn't one right or wrong answer for which witch or wizard you should pick. As long as you have a reason for your choice." He glanced around, hoping they were all following. "For example, I might pick someone with a very similar set of personality traits in hopes that we might get along better. On the other hand, I may choose to go with someone that is a complete opposite, so we can bring strengths from both sides." Foster leaned against his desk. "You have twenty minutes to do your calculations and write a short paragraph stating why you made your choice. If you have any questions, please raise your hand and I'll come to you."

SPOILER!!: Witch/Wizard combos

Choose any pair. a,b,c,d, or e

a)Harry Potter July 31, 1980
a)Draco Malfoy June 5th, 1980

b)Severus Snape January 9th, 1960
b)Newton Artemis Fido Scamander February 24th, 1897

e)Ronald Weasley March 1st, 1980
e)Neville Longbottom July 30th, 1980

OOC: Great job! Thanks for hanging in there, even with some site hiccups. All you need to do is calculate the rational thought number for both in your pair of choice. I've included a link in the steps above that will give you a calculator so you don't have to do it by hand. Pick which one of the two your charrie would want to team up with and why. Please feel free to join in or catch up. You will have about 72 hours to complete our final activity before we start wrapping up. Please let me know if you have any questions. Skype, PM, VM, carrier pigeon...
It was pretty epic being called wise in a lesson that you basically felt like a complete dunce in, and Bel perked up a little. What was all this about removing a troublesome intruder though? Couldn't be some kind of hint could it? Nahhh. Paranoia.

Bel eyed up the pairings and given she wasn't that in the know on her British Wizarding history, she kind of ended up just picking at random. A quick eenie meenie miney mo did the job, ending up with pairing c, Sirius Black and Rubeus Hagrid. Oh that was yonks ago too. Hum. Probably both dead by now then. Bel copied down the names and dates and then.... had a blank. Wait what bit of the birthday did they add again? She rummaged through her existing notes and reminded herself. The day. Okay. The day. Ripper. And then it was a matter of checking the letters on the chart to get the numbers...
Quote:
Rubeus Hagrid December 6th, 1928
Rubeus
(9+3+2+5+3+1) + 6 =
(2+3) + 6 =
5 + 6 = 11/2

- the illuminator
-lightbulb?
- hard to understand
-maybe an inventor or a spiritual guide
- uses intuition
-senses more than analyses

Sirius Black November 3rd, 1959
Sirius
(1+9+9+9+3+1) + 3 =
(3+2) + 3 =
5 + 3 = 8

- big picture visionary
- ignores details
- balances rational and irrational and can combine them
- vivid imagination
- not very patient or understanding about fear and caution
She double and triple checked her maths, still not trusting herself to get things right the first time, and then jotted down the info she needed. Numbers 8 and 11? That master number thing. Those were weird. And honestly without putting that much thought into it, Bel didn't much like the idea of working with someone who was apparently hard to understand like an 11 was? That wasn't gonna help solve anything, was it? That alone had her leaning towards the 8, and that meant she had to come up with something to justify that.

Maaaybe that was the wrong approach but here she was doing it anyways.

Quote:
I would pick Sirius over Rubeus because if you were going to do something crazy to get some interloper gone you probably would want someone who could be both rational and irrational and use their imagination. I could probably handle details anyway so that would be okay. I dunno if my numbers support that I could, but I could. I wouldn't want to work with the 11 one, Rubeus, because it says that they're hard to understand and I think you'd want to be able to communicate clearly on this whole scenario.
Bel reread what she had wrote.... it would do. Probably. Maybe. Except she did have another question.

Sh stuck her hand up. "Professor? For people with master numbers do you only look at those or do you look at the number that it reduces to as well?" Was it a combination of things or what?

Old 11-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #47 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

Max was hoping there was gonna be something crazy awesome in the wooden boxes at their desks…… turns out it wasn’t that awesome. Just some parchment with names of old wizards and witches on them. Not really worth all the suspense but okay sure, he was ready to get started.

Quote:
Ronald Weasley and Neville Longbottom.

RONALD (1st MARCH)
9 + 6 + 5 + 1 + 3 + 4 = 28
2 + 8 = 10

RTN =
1 + 1 = 2

NEVILLE (30th JULY)
5 + 5 + 4 + 9 + 3 + 3 + 5 = 34
3 + 4 = 7

RTN =
7 + 30 = 37
3 + 7 = 10
1 + 0 = 1
His page was a hot mess of all his workings out and scribbles but it made sense to him and would hopefully make sense to Professor Davis too. Absent-mindedly tickling his chin with the tip of his quill, Max read through the different explanations in the textbook a couple of times.

Which one of these dudes would he rather team up with…….? Ummmmm.

Quote:
According to what’s written in the textbook, Ronald would be good at solving problems and is ace at planning projects that involve a bunch of people. That would definitely be handy for this kind of scenario. The problem is he can be too easily influenced by others though, so what’s to say that the imposters won’t get him and influence him to switch sides??? On the flip-side, Neville doesn’t get distracted much, isn’t a quitter and doesn’t get influenced by others as easily. He can be a bit stubborn but in this scenario, I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

On parchment, Neville seems like the ideal teammate but what I’d do is team these two blokes up together and sit out because in this scenario I’d be pretty useless.
Okay. So that hadn’t really been what the task had asked of them… he was just being honest here.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #48 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

SPOILER!!: Bel
Quote:
It was pretty epic being called wise in a lesson that you basically felt like a complete dunce in, and Bel perked up a little. What was all this about removing a troublesome intruder though? Couldn't be some kind of hint could it? Nahhh. Paranoia.

Bel eyed up the pairings and given she wasn't that in the know on her British Wizarding history, she kind of ended up just picking at random. A quick eenie meenie miney mo did the job, ending up with pairing c, Sirius Black and Rubeus Hagrid. Oh that was yonks ago too. Hum. Probably both dead by now then. Bel copied down the names and dates and then.... had a blank. Wait what bit of the birthday did they add again? She rummaged through her existing notes and reminded herself. The day. Okay. The day. Ripper. And then it was a matter of checking the letters on the chart to get the numbers...

She double and triple checked her maths, still not trusting herself to get things right the first time, and then jotted down the info she needed. Numbers 8 and 11? That master number thing. Those were weird. And honestly without putting that much thought into it, Bel didn't much like the idea of working with someone who was apparently hard to understand like an 11 was? That wasn't gonna help solve anything, was it? That alone had her leaning towards the 8, and that meant she had to come up with something to justify that.

Maaaybe that was the wrong approach but here she was doing it anyways.

Bel reread what she had wrote.... it would do. Probably. Maybe. Except she did have another question.

Sh stuck her hand up. "Professor? For people with master numbers do you only look at those or do you look at the number that it reduces to as well?" Was it a combination of things or what?

Noticing the captain's hand go up, Foster quietly made his way over. "Without getting into too many of the finer details, yes, you can look at the reduced number as well. As you further your arithmancy studies, you will find that most arithmancers will not only look at the reduced single number, but also the two digit number used to find the final number. For example, a 7 can be made from a 4 and a 3. That person will have more 4 and 3 traits mixed in with their final 7 than a 7 that was made up of a 6 and a 1. So, one person would be a 43/7 and the other a 16/7" He paused "I don't want you to worry about that for now. Just file it away in the back of your mind for our later studies. For our task at hand, focus on their master number, but know that the reduce number can also come into play in their personality." He hoped he didn't confuse her with too much they hadn't covered yet.

No sooner had he gotten back to his desk and sorted a few papers, he noticed the time. "Looks like our time is up for today. Thank you all for your participation." He stood and walked over by the chalk board. "Please gather your things and turn in your parchment on my desk. Since you all worked so hard today, I've decided to keep the classroom in this set up for the rest of the year. For each following lesson, you are welcome to pick which side you would like to sit on." If being comfortable helped make the lesson and day a bit less stressful, it was a simple thing he could do for them. "If anyone has any follow up questions from our lesson today, please feel free to visit my office. My door is always open to you."

OOC: Thank you all for participating!! I'll leave this open until Wednesday @ 9 PM PST for anyone that would like to finish up or make an exit post. If you have any final questions or anything, please feel free to PM, VM, or Skype me.

Last edited by Birchwoodmom; 11-21-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Lesson Update