sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1358 users online including...
Ronaldsnut , Austinwals , Stevendalo , Julixsc , TommyWer , Harron Peasley , Curtisepite

13 members
1345 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 46: May - August 2017

Term 46: May - August 2017 Term Forty-Six: Guests from Ilvermorny (Sept 2092 - June 2093)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2017, 02:56 AM

Default Potions Laboratory

Thanks to Bre for the graphic!

The potions laboratory is right next to the potions storeroom, it looks exactly like the potions classroom. Small in size there's a door connecting to the storeroom. To the right are cabinets that you can find common ingredients, don't worry about bring your own equipment (unless you desire too). They are in stored in the cabinets too on either side of the room. Just remember to clean before AND after you use any of the equipment. On the left are potions textbooks, other potions books and magazines. On the back wall hanging up are small portraits of the former Potion Professors of Hogwarts dating far back into time with a small bio about them and the potioneering career. At the front of the room are posted sign in sheet, and list of ingredients and other info as well as classroom rules and laboratory rules. Keep in mind there are rules to that must be followed while you are in the laboratory:
1. Please sign in: Include Name, Year, House, and what potion you will be working on.
2. Try not to make a mess but if you do please clean up after yourself, I'm not your house elf, maid or mother.
3. Try not to break anything
4. If you use any equipment, clean it before and after you use it. AND put it back where you found it. That goes for unused ingredients and books too.
5. The Laboratory will be open at all times, except for after hours., I reserve the right to lock the lab at any time.
6. Have fun and enjoy potions is a hands on subject. This is a place you to practice and lean and better you knowledge.
OOC: This is NOT a class. No classes will be held here. This thread is for role-playing and fun, and will remain open all term long. You just RP your character signing the notebook and get to having fun!

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oesed View Post

Katherine's declaration gave him a slight pause and he wondered if it was strange that he felt a little bit flattered by it. More than that, he wondered if it would be inappropriate to mention it, if it would make him come off as weird. "Ah," Levi said, sort of deciding against it as he rose his brows a fraction, "The pressure is on, it seems. But--thank you."

Levi meant both. Though it was hard not to think that it also meant there was much room for disappointment, too.

He hurried up, a little. "Bruised egos aside, as long as nothing blows up on our faces, we'll both be okay." He shot her a sideways look and a small, knowing smile. "The world would not be able to recover from that sort of loss, I think."
She nodded at his thanks, and at his acknowledgement that this was a bit of a test. For both of them, at least. It was hard not to feel pressure when you bond with someone over a mutual interest. Not to feel like you had to be as good as them so they'd know you were serious and not just some girl in the apothecary hoping to score a cheap love potion, but also worthy of hanging with someone equally interested in that hobby.

More than a hobby. Potions was her passion.

They finally arrived at the lab, and Katy signed them into the book. "I solemnly swear not to injure your face. You [i]may[i] singe an eyebrow, but you won't have any lasting damage." Not that she agreed that the world couldn't survive without his face, but it would certainly be less pretty. Ahem. "Let's set up over here."

Quote:
Katherine Toussaint & Levi Kenning
Year 5 & Year 6
Slytherin & Gryffindor
Potion

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Old 05-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
She nodded at his thanks, and at his acknowledgement that this was a bit of a test. For both of them, at least. It was hard not to feel pressure when you bond with someone over a mutual interest. Not to feel like you had to be as good as them so they'd know you were serious and not just some girl in the apothecary hoping to score a cheap love potion, but also worthy of hanging with someone equally interested in that hobby.

More than a hobby. Potions was her passion.

They finally arrived at the lab, and Katy signed them into the book. "I solemnly swear not to injure your face. You [i]may[i] singe an eyebrow, but you won't have any lasting damage." Not that she agreed that the world couldn't survive without his face, but it would certainly be less pretty. Ahem. "Let's set up over here."
He'd spend their walk to the Potions Lab eating the sandwich and ruminating on the possibilities of this one time, super casual brewing partnership. By the time they made it to their final destination, the sandwich was gone and Levi had decided to stop thinking about whatever possibilities there could be lest he added additional pressures and expectations that were not needed.

Focusing on his own steps and chewing had been a good plan, ultimately. "I suppose I could spare an eyebrow if it's done in the name of science, glory, your International Potioneers Society membership and my Order of Merlin." This was all said in a perfectly casual tone, like these were not dreams but things that were given. He removed his messenger bag and began to retrieve his own potions kit. ""Do I get any details now or will I be kept in suspense?"
Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:
He'd spend their walk to the Potions Lab eating the sandwich and ruminating on the possibilities of this one time, super casual brewing partnership. By the time they made it to their final destination, the sandwich was gone and Levi had decided to stop thinking about whatever possibilities there could be lest he added additional pressures and expectations that were not needed.

Focusing on his own steps and chewing had been a good plan, ultimately. "I suppose I could spare an eyebrow if it's done in the name of science, glory, your International Potioneers Society membership and my Order of Merlin." This was all said in a perfectly casual tone, like these were not dreams but things that were given. He removed his messenger bag and began to retrieve his own potions kit. ""Do I get any details now or will I be kept in suspense?"
"I doubt your eyebrows are in any serious danger. It's been years since I even scorched myself," Katy started to unpack her own kit on the counter, reaching on to her shoulder to pull phials out of the magically enlarged bag. They'd need salamander skin, sheep bile, salt, and the jalapeño she'd stolen from the kitchens. She offered up the pepper for smelling.

"We're making magical fireworks. I was thinking a giant pumpkin, for Halloween, but I'm easily convinced if you want to try something more dramatic. I've always wanted to try one of those snapping dragons, but I don't know what to add to make them move." It wasn't any fun to keep him in the dark. She needed all his brains.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
"I doubt your eyebrows are in any serious danger. It's been years since I even scorched myself," Katy started to unpack her own kit on the counter, reaching on to her shoulder to pull phials out of the magically enlarged bag. They'd need salamander skin, sheep bile, salt, and the jalapeño she'd stolen from the kitchens. She offered up the pepper for smelling.

"We're making magical fireworks. I was thinking a giant pumpkin, for Halloween, but I'm easily convinced if you want to try something more dramatic. I've always wanted to try one of those snapping dragons, but I don't know what to add to make them move." It wasn't any fun to keep him in the dark. She needed all his brains.
Levi unzipped his onyx vinyl case and immediately zeroed in on his Irish scissors, glad they'd not been left behind by accident back in the mess he called his sleeping space. Cuts were rarely precise without them, and well; he sort of considered it his lucky charm. He slid it out of its secure place, and lifted it to examine it against the light.

It looked clean enough. Everything looked clean enough, but one could never be sure enough, so he scourged all his tools with a lazy flight of his wand.

He moved, leaned in to take a whiff of the jalapeno Katy was offering and winkled his nose. "That'll do, alright." Levi considered her question for a moment. "Bats, skeletons, spiderwebs and pumpkins. All of them. Let's give the Ilvermorny people something to talk about over dinner." It did not occur to him that perhaps setting off fireworks was probably not something the school staff would be okay with, but ohhhh well. "Will we be using smokeless powder, making it from scratch or supplanting it with something else?" Meaning something better, of course. Possibly loud, too.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

Levi unzipped his onyx vinyl case and immediately zeroed in on his Irish scissors, glad they'd not been left behind by accident back in the mess he called his sleeping space. Cuts were rarely precise without them, and well; he sort of considered it his lucky charm. He slid it out of its secure place, and lifted it to examine it against the light.

It looked clean enough. Everything looked clean enough, but one could never be sure enough, so he scourged all his tools with a lazy flight of his wand.

He moved, leaned in to take a whiff of the jalapeno Katy was offering and winkled his nose. "That'll do, alright." Levi considered her question for a moment. "Bats, skeletons, spiderwebs and pumpkins. All of them. Let's give the Ilvermorny people something to talk about over dinner." It did not occur to him that perhaps setting off fireworks was probably not something the school staff would be okay with, but ohhhh well. "Will we be using smokeless powder, making it from scratch or supplanting it with something else?" Meaning something better, of course. Possibly loud, too.
"Those are nice," Katy kept her hands to herself as she leaned in to examine the scissors. Shiny. Clean. Tiny little blades. "I prefer a scalpel, but I might have to buy some of those. Are they hard to keep sharp?" She was a bit overly keen at sharpening her scalpel, but the scissors didn't look quite as easy to manage.

But anyway. Katy followed suit in cleaning her tools and cauldron before tucking her wand away. "All sorts of Halloween shapes. I love that plan." She set the cauldron on a high flame and added water. It could boil... and she'd distract herself with the fabulous Kenning in the meantime. "You choose. I never say we should go by whatever is easiest, but in this case, we might want to go by... whatever is easiest."

Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
"Those are nice," Katy kept her hands to herself as she leaned in to examine the scissors. Shiny. Clean. Tiny little blades. "I prefer a scalpel, but I might have to buy some of those. Are they hard to keep sharp?" She was a bit overly keen at sharpening her scalpel, but the scissors didn't look quite as easy to manage.

But anyway. Katy followed suit in cleaning her tools and cauldron before tucking her wand away. "All sorts of Halloween shapes. I love that plan." She set the cauldron on a high flame and added water. It could boil... and she'd distract herself with the fabulous Kenning in the meantime. "You choose. I never say we should go by whatever is easiest, but in this case, we might want to go by... whatever is easiest."
"Christmas present," he said as way of explanation, momentarily leaning against the work station, watching her set the cauldron. "Nah, my parents send me foil and sandpaper regularly, and I keep a schedule." Which was a strange thing to say, he supposed, but Katy of all people could understand, surely. "Do you find that scalpels are more precise, then?"

The water in the cauldron was not yet boiling so Levi occupied one of the stools and touched the other one, indicating Katy that perhaps she could do the same if she so desired. He grinned. "How about magnesium and, uhm...Hmmm...hold on." Levi slid off his chair, bounded to where the books rested and began to browse. He was quiet for a while, his frown deepening the more he read. "Magnessium and Potassium, maybe." He returned to the table, book in hand and pointed the page at Kay. "Potassium nitrate. And it'd need a stabilizer, like castor oil. You think there's any here?"

Was this easy enough? It probably wasn't. The worst that could happen was setting the Potions Lab on fire, though, and surely that had happened before.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

"Christmas present," he said as way of explanation, momentarily leaning against the work station, watching her set the cauldron. "Nah, my parents send me foil and sandpaper regularly, and I keep a schedule." Which was a strange thing to say, he supposed, but Katy of all people could understand, surely. "Do you find that scalpels are more precise, then?"

The water in the cauldron was not yet boiling so Levi occupied one of the stools and touched the other one, indicating Katy that perhaps she could do the same if she so desired. He grinned. "How about magnesium and, uhm...Hmmm...hold on." Levi slid off his chair, bounded to where the books rested and began to browse. He was quiet for a while, his frown deepening the more he read. "Magnessium and Potassium, maybe." He returned to the table, book in hand and pointed the page at Kay. "Potassium nitrate. And it'd need a stabilizer, like castor oil. You think there's any here?"

Was this easy enough? It probably wasn't. The worst that could happen was setting the Potions Lab on fire, though, and surely that had happened before.
He sharpened by hand? Without magic? Katy's eyes went all round and blue sparkles at him for a minute before she recalled that she was a scientist and this was an experiment and who cared about sandpaper? No one. Not a single person. "I do find them more precise than a regular potions' knife, but I've never tried tiny scissors. Oh..." She grinned and plopped on the stool. "I lie. I once shredded my mother's indoor herb garden with sewing scissors, but I was making tea. That's different. Precision isn't key."

Her mother had been amused, and that was the genesis of the first knife Katy had ever been given. She'd been six.

"Magnesium and Potassium nitrate and castor oil. I think only that last one is likely to be here, but... who knows? I've been surprised by the supplies before."

Old 05-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
He sharpened by hand? Without magic? Katy's eyes went all round and blue sparkles at him for a minute before she recalled that she was a scientist and this was an experiment and who cared about sandpaper? No one. Not a single person. "I do find them more precise than a regular potions' knife, but I've never tried tiny scissors. Oh..." She grinned and plopped on the stool. "I lie. I once shredded my mother's indoor herb garden with sewing scissors, but I was making tea. That's different. Precision isn't key."

Her mother had been amused, and that was the genesis of the first knife Katy had ever been given. She'd been six.

"Magnesium and Potassium nitrate and castor oil. I think only that last one is likely to be here, but... who knows? I've been surprised by the supplies before."
Though his eyes remained largely trained on the book at hand, searching for alternative ingredients, Levi snickered. "What sort of tea was this? A very colorful blend of a great many tea leaves?" It was a genuine question, despite the way his eyes crinkled. "I'd like to point out that this is yet more proof that what I said when we first met remains true--you're trouble."

He pulled out his journal and self-inking quill and in his slightly scrawly, roundish penmanship, began to write down.

Quote:
1 tbsp of molasses: potassium replacement.
4 ½ tbsps of powdered kelp: magnesium.
½ alaria leaf: would it be overkill? It's also magnesium.
Sea salt and/or beet juice to replace the nitrate.
??? scoops of octopus powder. Would depend on subject to the strength desired for the fireworks.

Actually all measures are subject to just how many fireworks we're going for. Ask K.T.

1 tbsp of Molasses: 500 mg of potassium.
Levi slid over the notes to her. "Do you think we'd even need the castor oil to stabilize this?" He tapped the tip of his nose with his quill. "It wouldn't even be the real thing, these are just replacements, so..." Maybe not. "Is it boiling? are we out of time?"
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:
Though his eyes remained largely trained on the book at hand, searching for alternative ingredients, Levi snickered. "What sort of tea was this? A very colorful blend of a great many tea leaves?" It was a genuine question, despite the way his eyes crinkled. "I'd like to point out that this is yet more proof that what I said when we first met remains true--you're trouble."

He pulled out his journal and self-inking quill and in his slightly scrawly, roundish penmanship, began to write down.

Levi slid over the notes to her. "Do you think we'd even need the castor oil to stabilize this?" He tapped the tip of his nose with his quill. "It wouldn't even be the real thing, these are just replacements, so..." Maybe not. "Is it boiling? are we out of time?"
Katy smiled ruefully at that snicker, even while she began dicing the pepper on her desk space. It was an amusing memory, and one that her mother loved to tell when she was bragging about her potions-loving daughter. Chip off the old block and all that. "I think it was a ginger root, dandelion, mint leaf, and rosemary mix. It was pretty terrible, not the least because I didn't wash the dirt of the roots before plunking it in the hot water."

He thought she was trouble? What did that mean, though? Was it good? Bad? Endearing? Annoying? Why was it that even when people said what they meant, it wasn't always perfectly clear?

She peered at his notes. Molasses, kelp powder, alaria leaf, and sea salt were very likely to be available in the cupboard. Octopus bits... hm. Less so, but they could check. "You're very good at working off book. Most people don't trust the ingredients enough, I think. Let's try the molasses, kelp, and sea salt. It's already a pretty stable potion from my experience, but with new ingredients... castor oil can't hurt. Can you check the cupboard?" Because the potion was JUST hitting a boil, and Katy was ready to add the salamander.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
Katy smiled ruefully at that snicker, even while she began dicing the pepper on her desk space. It was an amusing memory, and one that her mother loved to tell when she was bragging about her potions-loving daughter. Chip off the old block and all that. "I think it was a ginger root, dandelion, mint leaf, and rosemary mix. It was pretty terrible, not the least because I didn't wash the dirt of the roots before plunking it in the hot water."

He thought she was trouble? What did that mean, though? Was it good? Bad? Endearing? Annoying? Why was it that even when people said what they meant, it wasn't always perfectly clear?

She peered at his notes. Molasses, kelp powder, alaria leaf, and sea salt were very likely to be available in the cupboard. Octopus bits... hm. Less so, but they could check. "You're very good at working off book. Most people don't trust the ingredients enough, I think. Let's try the molasses, kelp, and sea salt. It's already a pretty stable potion from my experience, but with new ingredients... castor oil can't hurt. Can you check the cupboard?" Because the potion was JUST hitting a boil, and Katy was ready to add the salamander.
Levi was unable to keep himself from laughing, but at least had the decency to reach up and cover his mouth with his fist. The amusement dissolved in an almost passable version of a real cough. The tips of his ears colored pink and Levi shot her a sideways look. "Did your mother drink it anyway?" His probably would have just for his benefit, but would probably called his father to share the burden with her.

He drummed his fingers against the table, peered over at the boiling water. Levi nodded, preferring to use his hands to look for the ingredients rather than the regular summoning charm. "I think the problem, in general, is that most people are scared of failure." And, to be clear, he was as well. He stretched a little bit on his tip toes to reach the castor oil, something he hadn't had to do in what was probably month. It made him smile, slightly, and he wondered if that was weird. "Not everyone is willing to do the whole trial and error thing a go. And maybe they're not wrong." He shot her a grin over his shoulder. "For all we know, we'll end up melting off the table."
Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

Levi was unable to keep himself from laughing, but at least had the decency to reach up and cover his mouth with his fist. The amusement dissolved in an almost passable version of a real cough. The tips of his ears colored pink and Levi shot her a sideways look. "Did your mother drink it anyway?" His probably would have just for his benefit, but would probably called his father to share the burden with her.

He drummed his fingers against the table, peered over at the boiling water. Levi nodded, preferring to use his hands to look for the ingredients rather than the regular summoning charm. "I think the problem, in general, is that most people are scared of failure." And, to be clear, he was as well. He stretched a little bit on his tip toes to reach the castor oil, something he hadn't had to do in what was probably month. It made him smile, slightly, and he wondered if that was weird. "Not everyone is willing to do the whole trial and error thing a go. And maybe they're not wrong." He shot her a grin over his shoulder. "For all we know, we'll end up melting off the table."
Hm. "She drank it," Katy smiled as she added the salamander skin and diced pepper. "She made me drink it too. And then we repotted her kitchen garden, and she taught me to make tea properly. Bought me my first potions knife and a teeny cauldron, although I was only allowed to really brew when I had an adult to light the flame." She stirred and fell silent to count out the strokes.

"We had the bile next, and it gets hard to stir. I imagine if we're going to experiment with other ingredients, we should do it before it stiffens." Katy pulled the stick clear and nodded at the cauldron. "I've not melted a table in nearly a year. I'd be disappointed if I was never brave enough to fail that spectacularly again. And they are wrong." She dropped the stick on the table and turned to watch him add his ingredients.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
Hm. "She drank it," Katy smiled as she added the salamander skin and diced pepper. "She made me drink it too. And then we repotted her kitchen garden, and she taught me to make tea properly. Bought me my first potions knife and a teeny cauldron, although I was only allowed to really brew when I had an adult to light the flame." She stirred and fell silent to count out the strokes.

"We had the bile next, and it gets hard to stir. I imagine if we're going to experiment with other ingredients, we should do it before it stiffens." Katy pulled the stick clear and nodded at the cauldron. "I've not melted a table in nearly a year. I'd be disappointed if I was never brave enough to fail that spectacularly again. And they are wrong." She dropped the stick on the table and turned to watch him add his ingredients.
Levi sent the castor oil flying to their workstation of choice and continued to collect the rest; molasses and sea salt followed, and he took three vials of powdered kelp with him back to the table. He laughed his way back, too, feeling the tips of his ears turn pink and then biting down on his bottom lip. "So, she was supportive and mindful of your feelings." He set down the kelp [/B]and looked at her. "But also managed to turn it into an educational experience? Sounds like the perfect balance to me."

"The first time," He began, setting down the vials next to each other and turning to look at Katherine, "I did anything of value with plants was for first year Herbology. Kennings are concrete jungle dwellers."

It wasn't something to be proud of, exactly, but he did manage to grin at it because certain reactions to certain things just could not be helped. "Do we want to add molasses first? I'm consistency might be similar to the bile. More so than sea salt, anyway."
Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

Levi sent the castor oil flying to their workstation of choice and continued to collect the rest; molasses and sea salt followed, and he took three vials of powdered kelp with him back to the table. He laughed his way back, too, feeling the tips of his ears turn pink and then biting down on his bottom lip. "So, she was supportive and mindful of your feelings." He set down the kelp [/B]and looked at her. "But also managed to turn it into an educational experience? Sounds like the perfect balance to me."

"The first time," He began, setting down the vials next to each other and turning to look at Katherine, "I did anything of value with plants was for first year Herbology. Kennings are concrete jungle dwellers."

It wasn't something to be proud of, exactly, but he did manage to grin at it because certain reactions to certain things just could not be helped. "Do we want to add molasses first? I'm consistency might be similar to the bile. More so than sea salt, anyway."
"She's a little nutters, but she's a good mother," Katy adored her mother, although she was so much more like her father. She measured out the molasses that Levi had provided, watching for any changes as the thick liquid broke the surface of the potion. "I think you just told me you're a prodigy at Potions. You've been at it longer, but you're better than me."

Not false modesty. He actually was very impressive. And the dimples. Stupid face.

"Go ahead and put in the kelp. It hasn't changed consistency much, so I think we're safe. We'll add sea salt instead of table salt at the end." She dropped the stir stick back into the cauldron. "Your ears go pink. What is that?"

Old 05-25-2017, 04:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
"She's a little nutters, but she's a good mother," Katy adored her mother, although she was so much more like her father. She measured out the molasses that Levi had provided, watching for any changes as the thick liquid broke the surface of the potion. "I think you just told me you're a prodigy at Potions. You've been at it longer, but you're better than me."

Not false modesty. He actually was very impressive. And the dimples. Stupid face.

"Go ahead and put in the kelp. It hasn't changed consistency much, so I think we're safe. We'll add sea salt instead of table salt at the end." She dropped the stir stick back into the cauldron. "Your ears go pink. What is that?"
Levi would have pointed that her mum sounded like a mum alright--one of the good mums, anyway--but Katherine went on to say something that made him chuckle. "No," He shook his head. It was a nice thing to say, but honesty and transparency were more important. "No, I just work hard, read a lot, and I really don't care much about damaging school property as long as I can get away with it." A modicum of talent played a good part, too, most likely but talent meant very little if it wasn't honed.

And it wasn't like he could get into the healing program without Potions marks that did not exceed the expectations. "But coming from you--" He did as told and carefully opened the first vial and measured it into a tablespoon. In a clockwise motion, Levi emptied it into the cauldron. "--that means a lot. Thank you. You want to stir it in before I add the rest?"

Levi didn't stutter at her question, but did take a few seconds to answer, as he measured the powdered kelp using the tablespoon. "Physiological reaction, has to do with the nervous system." He bit his lower lip. "Commonly known as 'blushing.'"
Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

Levi would have pointed that her mum sounded like a mum alright--one of the good mums, anyway--but Katherine went on to say something that made him chuckle. "No," He shook his head. It was a nice thing to say, but honesty and transparency were more important. "No, I just work hard, read a lot, and I really don't care much about damaging school property as long as I can get away with it." A modicum of talent played a good part, too, most likely but talent meant very little if it wasn't honed.

And it wasn't like he could get into the healing program without Potions marks that did not exceed the expectations. "But coming from you--" He did as told and carefully opened the first vial and measured it into a tablespoon. In a clockwise motion, Levi emptied it into the cauldron. "--that means a lot. Thank you. You want to stir it in before I add the rest?"

Levi didn't stutter at her question, but did take a few seconds to answer, as he measured the powdered kelp using the tablespoon. "Physiological reaction, has to do with the nervous system." He bit his lower lip. "Commonly known as 'blushing.'"
"If you're going to be all modest, I'll get bored. I admire you, Kenning. Accept it. Do what you want with it." Now she was the one with blushing, although it didn't just tinge the tips of her ears. That peachy complexion went more tomato, and Katy tilted her head over the cauldron so her hair could spill over her shoulders.

Right. Focus. Potions that went ka-blooey. She stirred the potion, noting the color and thickness. "I'll add the sheep's bile, and it'll essentially turn to hardening concrete." Katy offered him just the tiniest of grins, although she knew that she was still terribly pink and embarrassing and maybe she should drink the explosive concrete?

"I recognized that was blushing. I'm... obviously quite proficient at physiological reactions myself. I just wasn't sure why." It took both hands to stir now, and then her stirring stick was stuck.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Admire was the sort of big word that called for an eyebrow quirk, which happened, along with a slight grin. "I will accept it because you insist." And also because it sounded good; there was his sixteen year old ego to think about, too. Katy Toussaint didn't look like the type who offered compliments very often. "But I wasn't lying." He offered a one shoulder shrug. "Not to sound like a Hufflepuff about it, but a lot of it has to do with hard work. I'm sure even you've had to do your fair share of that."

Her blush was an interesting addition to their conversation that he pretended not to notice, but stored in the back of his mind for analysis, later. He grabbed the second scoop of kelp powder and waiter for her go ahead to pour it into the concoction. He peered in. "Hardening concrete. What are the chances of using it as a weapon, too?" Levitate it and drop it on someone's head. Surely it'd knock them out.

Let it never be said that potions couldn't be as subtle as a hippogriff in a China shop, too. "I," He began, unsure if this was the sort of tricky comment that would get him in trouble for having a response to. Or not having one, for that matter. "Noticed, yes." He paused, momentarily sucked in one of his cheeks. "Well, I was embarrassed, a little. Or unsure, I suppose. I laughed at something you said, not everyone takes that kindly." Even when you meant well.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:
Admire was the sort of big word that called for an eyebrow quirk, which happened, along with a slight grin. "I will accept it because you insist." And also because it sounded good; there was his sixteen year old ego to think about, too. Katy Toussaint didn't look like the type who offered compliments very often. "But I wasn't lying." He offered a one shoulder shrug. "Not to sound like a Hufflepuff about it, but a lot of it has to do with hard work. I'm sure even you've had to do your fair share of that."

Her blush was an interesting addition to their conversation that he pretended not to notice, but stored in the back of his mind for analysis, later. He grabbed the second scoop of kelp powder and waiter for her go ahead to pour it into the concoction. He peered in. "Hardening concrete. What are the chances of using it as a weapon, too?" Levitate it and drop it on someone's head. Surely it'd knock them out.

Let it never be said that potions couldn't be as subtle as a hippogriff in a China shop, too. "I," He began, unsure if this was the sort of tricky comment that would get him in trouble for having a response to. Or not having one, for that matter. "Noticed, yes." He paused, momentarily sucked in one of his cheeks. "Well, I was embarrassed, a little. Or unsure, I suppose. I laughed at something you said, not everyone takes that kindly." Even when you meant well.
"Don't give in too easily. I'm fairly impossible, and you don't want to encourage me." Katy left off working on the cauldron and gave Levi a proper measuring look. She'd made fireworks before, could probably do it in her sleep, and her brewing partner was much more interesting. Hard to read, impossible to understand, but very interesting. Very clever.

"Yes, I suppose you're right, though. It is hard work, and even I have had to do my share of it." Was that a compliment? Sort of backhanded suggestion that she hadn't worked for what she had, or perhaps she was overthinking it. Maybe he just meant that Katy was so gifted... Either way. She put a lot of work into Potions.

She nodded at him to add the second scoop of kelp powder. Quick, before it became impossible to stir. "Please don't be embarrassed just by laughing at me. I'm seldom serious and I'm trying not to care so much about what others think of me. That's my failure not to blush... I was indiscrete."

Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
"Don't give in too easily. I'm fairly impossible, and you don't want to encourage me." Katy left off working on the cauldron and gave Levi a proper measuring look. She'd made fireworks before, could probably do it in her sleep, and her brewing partner was much more interesting. Hard to read, impossible to understand, but very interesting. Very clever.

"Yes, I suppose you're right, though. It is hard work, and even I have had to do my share of it." Was that a compliment? Sort of backhanded suggestion that she hadn't worked for what she had, or perhaps she was overthinking it. Maybe he just meant that Katy was so gifted... Either way. She put a lot of work into Potions.

She nodded at him to add the second scoop of kelp powder. Quick, before it became impossible to stir. "Please don't be embarrassed just by laughing at me. I'm seldom serious and I'm trying not to care so much about what others think of me. That's my failure not to blush... I was indiscrete."
He laughed, openly, poured in the powdered kelp using a clockwise motion again. "But maybe I want to encourage you to continue to be--" He set the tablespoon down, and used air quotations, "--'impossible.'"

Levi eyed her, speculatively, watched her stir quickly hardening concoction and toyed with the idea of offering to stir for her before deciding against it; Katy didn't strike him as someone who would sugarcoat anything. If she needed his help, she'd likely ask for it. Right? "Yes, but hard work does have a way of feeling less like work when you actually enjoy what you're doing, I think."

Indiscreet was a peculiar way of describing things and Levi did not attempt to hide his curiosity. He raised one of his eyebrows and shifted his body sideways to look at her. "An admirable goal," he said. "This castle is full people who love handing out their unsolicited opinions. That ought to help." Or make it worse. "It's an honest reaction, though--blushing."
Old 05-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Quote:

He laughed, openly, poured in the powdered kelp using a clockwise motion again. "But maybe I want to encourage you to continue to be--" He set the tablespoon down, and used air quotations, "--'impossible.'"

Levi eyed her, speculatively, watched her stir quickly hardening concoction and toyed with the idea of offering to stir for her before deciding against it; Katy didn't strike him as someone who would sugarcoat anything. If she needed his help, she'd likely ask for it. Right? "Yes, but hard work does have a way of feeling less like work when you actually enjoy what you're doing, I think."

Indiscreet was a peculiar way of describing things and Levi did not attempt to hide his curiosity. He raised one of his eyebrows and shifted his body sideways to look at her. "An admirable goal," he said. "This castle is full people who love handing out their unsolicited opinions. That ought to help." Or make it worse. "It's an honest reaction, though--blushing."
The potion had become so viscous that Katy's stirring stick stuck fast in place, and any attempts to tug it further would only break it. She eased it free of the potion and set it on the desk. It was done. All it needed now was packaging and a wick to ignite, and they could have their show.

"Encourage away. It's nice to be allowed to be myself when everyone always wants me to be... someone else. Y'know... politer, nicer, sweeter, taller. I've been told that boys do not like girls like me, but I suspect that since I don't like every boy, it's unlikely they all have the same requirements." And how did they get on this terrifyingly awkward subject? Katy rubbed at her cheeks before turning the heat down and removing the cauldron.

She could feel his eyes on her, but Katy focused intently on the potion. It needed to cool a little before she started shaping it with her hands. "I believe I like you more than I should. I'm working on it, but in the meantime, I'll occasionally turn into a human tomato. Indiscreet, y'see?"

Old 06-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Levi couldn't really relate to Katherine's words; his parents had always encouraged him to be exactly who he was, and he supposed that as a boy whatever struggles he had in the dating department could not exactly compare to Katherine's. Then again, it was also probably true her comments didn't just apply to dating, but just general micro-aggressions she had to deal with just because of her sex.

He couldn't relate but he could at least try to understand. Which he was about to point out, had Katherine's confession hadn't given him reason to pause. The now hardened concoction was suddenly particularly interesting.

"I--" He started, though he was unclear on how to continue. Levi supposed he could pretend he hadn't understood the possible underlying meaning to her words. At the very least, he supposed he could stall by asking for clarification. But that would've been an insult to Katherine's intelligence and bravery, and he admired both. "Very pretty human tomato, I'm sure." He could admit that much, and he could smile while he said it, too. "You've given me honesty, I'll give you the same in return." Levi returned his dark gaze to her. "I'm--I'm sort of seeing someone." First time he'd said it out loud, too. "It's casual." And saying that out loud was a first, too. And made him feel more than little strange. He shifted his weight from one foot to another. "It's not--serious. But--I'm seeing someone. Full disclosure and all."
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

That sucked. That thing that boys did... compliment you and reject you in quick succession. Did he think it made it suck less so long as he called her pretty? Didn't Levi Kenning know that pretty was the least interesting thing she was?

It was hard to be mad at him, since it wasn't his fault that he had a girl (casual or no) and that he didn't now how much she resented being called pretty before clever or interesting or brilliant. And because she genuinely wanted to be his friend. So it just sucked. That's all. "I'm not asking anything of you, Kenning." She was terse, but mostly from embarrassment. "I'm not telling you so you'll do anything. I'm telling you so you understand. You don't have to... I'm glad you have someone. Please don't let's talk about it ever again."

She dug both hands into the still-too-warm cauldron and dragged out the concrete to be molded like clay. If her hands were elbow-deep in muck, she couldn't wipe her face, and if she couldn't wipe her face, her body wouldn't dare let her tear up.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

It didn't seem like it had gone all that well, and in truth, there was no reason why it should have. A girl had opened herself to the possibility of something, maybe, and he'd given her the facts in return; he was seeing someone, and though it was casual, the truth remained that he was seeing someone. Levi knew there was nothing wrong with the truth, and to be clear, he always preferred it. But it was pointed that he'd gone from Levi to Kenning.

There was no reason to feel the tiniest deflated, so he turned back to look at the work table, wishing for something to occupy his hands with. Katherine was, after all, getting busy herself. "Right." His ears pinked again, and he straightened, bringing himself up to his full height. Levi rapped his fingers against the table, once. "As you wish. We will not discuss this any further, then."

Unable to hold still, he marched to retrieve some packaging. "How much do you think we'll need?"
Old 06-05-2017, 01:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8

Her eyes cut to Levi just once, at that rap on the table, but Katy didn't comment on the fact that his ears had gone all pink again or that his face looked just as tense she felt. Katy had strings drawn taut through her chest, and Levi had that same tautness about him. She was a ruiner. Maybe it was always better to stay silent and not know.

"I think we should package these a bit smaller than normal, since we're not sure about how they'll explode with the new materials. Let's make... twenty." A normal batch made about twelve. The concrete sludge was heavy but malleable, and it was easy to roll it into a cylinder shape that could be sliced down into manageable chunks.

She rolled with her hands. "Levi. I... I'm sorry if I made anything awkward between us. All jokes about 'casual brewing' aside, I want to be friends." If that was even possible at this point. What if she stuffed her mouth full of the concrete? Would it kill her or just stop the words from spilling out of her?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

He took longer than was necessary to retrieve the packaging and by the time he returned to the table, Katherine was talking again. What remained on the ingredients, he collected by either sending back flying their respective shelves or discarding them. Levi reached for his glasses, pushed them up with his index finger, and paused. His version of stalling, no doubt.

Words were struggle.

"Twenty sounds good."

Verbose.

The sigh was barely kept in. "Don't be, you haven't done anything wrong." Hardly her fault that for all his preaching of honesty a drop of hers had left him--unbalanced. It was disturbing. "I'd like to be friends. You are smart and you know what you want." He paused, again. "And you make me laugh. Friendship sounds like a plan to me."