sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1068 users online including...
Cyharlesbes , astrocat , Evaxvc , KylieOvage , Methrenhow , Stevendalo

9 members
1059 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > Marauder's Map

Marauder's Map Mischief managed! Here you can step back and participate in a number of OOC discussions and games regarding the SSRPGs.

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 04-05-2014, 05:42 AM

Default Should I resort to a new House?

So its that time of term again where characters are graduating and a new crop of first years and transfers come and start at Hogwarts. We all love brand new baby RPers showing up in their new houses and everything, but as of the last few years we've had this great option of re-sorting into a new house provided we meet the criteria (7 active terms, 4000 posts, no warnings/infractions, staff recommendation).

As someone who has sorted to another house I thought it might be interesting to share my experiences and provide a place where others can ask questions and try and work out if they are brave enough to cross over to another house with a new character knowing they'll be 'stuck' there for a minimum of seven terms.

When I was first trying to decide about resorting, I was so torn. I AM a Ravenclaw. I played one in the school as a student for ten terms (seven with Celandine Toussaint former Head Girl and Prefect, and three as James S. Wilkes Yearbook Editor and former Seeker), I also had a Ravenclaw professor for two terms (who I continue to play as a Governor in the school) It was after I had decided to leave staff that I made the leap of re-sorting to a new house.

For me it was because the character I'd picked up (my current character as of term 36, Slytherin Quidditch Captain West Odessa) didn't 'feel' like a Ravenclaw. I wasn't entirely sure where else he fit, and so I didn't choose an alternate house for him. I instead took the 'admin sort' approach and filled out the sorting quiz from his perspective, and then let the admins decide.

And he was a hatstall! Eeep! They couldn't decide between Hufflepuff and Slytherin initially, and it took a while but finally he ended up in Slytherin and it was SO exciting not knowing, just like really putting the hat on for him! I'd have been happy in any house I think, but the admin sort made it even more interesting.

I've found there are some great pros to resorting to a new house:

-making new ooc friends to RP with that you might not otherwise have gotten to interact with in your old house
-seeing how your new house characteristics take shape in your character, and feel how different they are from your former characters
-challenging your writing skills to create different personality types
- a fresh start, which is sometimes a great way of restarting your inspiration when your muse is low

For the record, I plan to stay in Slytherin for another four terms (with a new character after West) and then when my very first school character's eldest daughter is Hoggies age, resort then. I am 89% sure she'll end up Ravie like her parents, but if she ends up in Huffie or Gryffie I'll still be excited!

So that is me.

SPOILER!!: update!

So I made this thread a while ago now, and in that time I have had Ruby Banner as a Slytherin for three terms, and have now resorted with Celandine's daughter, the character that I mentioned above as being 89% sure she'd be Ravenclaw.

.... she's a GRYFFINDOR. Oh man is she a Gryffindor. So Gryffindor that it hurts. She was perhaps eight years old in the RP timeline when I first made this thread, and she has grown and changed in leaps and bounds since then. Despite both of her parents being Ravenclaw, she just wasn't going to be one, no matter what she expected.

That means I'm on my third house. Once again I admin sorted, however I did have an expectation that Gryffindor would be the result, as did most people who had interacted with her prior to her sorting. I'm very excited about playing with the Gryffindor dynamic. I have NO regrets about resorting again!

This now means I've had the following houses and characters:

Ravenclaw
Celandine Toussaint (Terms 19-25)
James S. Wilkes (Terms 26-28)

[two terms on staff with a RAVENCLAW character]

Slytherin
West Odessa (Terms 31-37)
Ruby Banner (Terms 38-40)

Gryffindor
Charlotte Kettleburn (Term 41 - current)

If I follow my pattern I'll probably do a boy character for fifth - seventh keeping me in Gryffindor for ten terms total XD We will see though.

------
Anyone else want to share their resorting experiences? What they like or don't like about being in a different house? What they think about others (in general) resorting? Questions they have about the process? Thoughts about keeping it a surprise/secret from others? Maybe you have a character you want to work out if they'd be better in a different house? Go ahead and talk about that here and get some advice and encouragement!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Admin
Assistant Forum Manager
Quibbler & Newbie Mod

DMLE & DMT
Ashwinder

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alfie Adair
Hufflepuff
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bronwen Grimaldi
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tomasz Łaska
Law Enforcement
x10 x1
doesn't proofread tweets | #wrongaboutcereal | #siriusly? | emo to the extremo

So I still have some time to go with my current charrie before I'm able to resort, after all he's only in his third year as of right now (almost fourth). But I was really itching to come in here and share my thoughts, after I read through everyone else's.

When I first joined SS, being completely honest, I had no idea what an RPG even meant. I stumbled upon the site after searching 'harry potter' on google for days on end and one time I decided to sign up for my own account. Coincidentally, when I joined the sorting test was actually open! So I jumped into it right away without realizing what it even meant. I thought that it was just one of those tests that you take online for yourself. So I took the test as me instead of as a character. I was THRILLED to be sorted into Gryffindor because all my life my friends have been pushing me into the Hufflepuff category, when I've always identified myself as a Lion. So just seeing those results is what really willed me to stay on the site.

Then, Kath (sweetpinkpixie) wrote me a nice little VM asking if I was planning on joining the school RP. After a lot of research I finally came to realize what this site was really all about. I would also like to add that I was around 13 or 14 at the time so I was still extremely new to this idea of creating a character and writing in general. So from this point I didn't really have much liberty with my charrie because I already knew that whoever it ended up being, they had to be a Gryffindor. And that's when I came up with my little Nika, who I did love a lot. But it also made me wonder, if I had known that the sorting was for the purpose of the school RPG, would I have done anything differently?

Now I will always be Gryffindor through and through, even though Pottermore said I was a hatstall between the badgers and lions, my heart will ALWAYS bleed red and gold. But I think that resorting is a wonderful opportunity. I finally see that because there is a difference between OOC and IC. The idea of every playing anyone but a Gryffindor was appalling at first- not to mention terrifying- but the more I realize that I have to detach myself from my charries it becomes less so.

I identify as a Gryffindor for so many reasons, but the main reason why I identify as one on SS specifically, is because of the friendships that I was able to make within my house. Being sorted into a specific house gives you the amazing opportunity of being able to get close to certain RPers and Charries. AND even Professors. I think that's why it's scary to think about resorting because it's not just scary IC with how you're going to write a charrie that's so completely different from your others, but also because as an RPer trying to fit in with a new crowd or make friendships with those who you may not have had the chance to interact with, that's scary too. But that's why it's so wonderful! You get the chance to expand as not only a writer, but also as a person getting to meet others on the sight!

And I'm probably the worst person with change. I'll be blunt about it to go as far to say that I even HATE change. I like a routine and things that I'm used to. But I also know that if I don't take the opportunity to embrace a change, I won't grow. And I think that's what attracts me so much to this idea of resorting-- it's an opportunity to grow. And as I mentioned before, I've still got a lot of time with my current charrie and with Gryffindor house, but I think that after Zander I will definitely be ready to test the waters and resort.

You are Lemon!
ArianaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

MO
Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cairo Gunter
Gryffindor
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Athena Riley Carmichael (Nee Smith)
| Avid#JennShipper | Flowers& &Butterflies | LoverOfCupcakes

this thread. I like it, yes. *makes a home in here*

So, For those who are newish or recently reactive the past term or two might now know that i was previously a slytherin, here on SS and I was for seven IC terms and i LOVED it. Being a slytherin myself I made it my home and vowed to never ever ever leave.. *covers up gryffindor tag*

When i first joined i did what most did.. signed up for myself though i gave it a little twist of my first character, Ariana, the quiz was 97% me. Ariana was also such a Mary Sue like no other my first year on site because of me taking the quiz for me, mainly because i had no idea what i was doing. I think being able to resort is an AMAZING opportunity. as much as i bleed green and silver there was no way in Azkaban my Jeremiah would fit into a snake role.

Resorting it one of the most terrifying things i've ever done and i even closed my eyes to hit the submit button but it was such a relief to be given the opportunity for Jeremiah to be sorted into his own house. Going off of one of Lex's [Team ronmione] about filler charries. I'm having one after Jeremiah for three terms and i get what your sayign about 'what if they aren't a gryffindor/hufflepuff/whereever i'm at but i feel like with filler charries that's one place where you have to get creative and i love that about SS. That we get to be creative with how we create and establish our characters into their house and see how they grow. I think that if you go in thinking that you did resort for them and they just happened to be in the same house you were already in things will fall into place.

I for one did NOT plan on being red right now, not at all, but that's the fun in it. If anything i expected to be yelllow or maybe blue but NOT red. the more i play Jere the more i kinda see this Gryffindor side to him that i just fall in love with. the house doesnt make the Student and you shouldn't go into it thinking, 'Oh im a gryffindor my character HAS to be brave and loyal now and i have to change him!' you don't have to. Jeremiah is a nerd who likes books and being there for people but he's also fierce in ways and more daring and risky then i thought and i think that's the hidden griffindor in him. he's not afraid to take risks and speak his mind and all..

i got way off track there. my POINT is that i think resorting is great. Don't worry about a filler character if you're going to need one for a few terms and don't stress having to change your character to fit into the cookie cutter for the house their put in.

Take risks and just go for it. <3
JennMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Checking back in on this thread because my current character, Bel Macindoe, marks my travels through ALL four houses with charries on SS.

Ravenclaw
Celandine Toussaint - 7 terms
James Wilkes -3 terms

[[two terms on staff, with a Ravenclaw charrie]]

Slytherin
West Odessa - 7 terms (was a hatstall in that the admins were torn between slytherin and hufflepuff)
Ruby Banner - 3 terms

Gryffindor
Charlotte Kettleburn -7 terms (literally she couldn't have been in any other house )

Hufflepuff
Bel Macindoe - current

So I've broken my pattern in that I didn't do a 3 term charrie in Gryffindor! But that is because I had two existing characters that I was deciding between - either Bel who is a third year now but I started her last term on twitter, or Valko who is a sixth year now (in Ravenclaw) that I started in fourth year. The problem is that I knew I wanted to go back to Ravenclaw eventually, since that's MY house (and I wanna go home one day!) but that doing a stint in Hufflepuff first was always on the cards since I think once I go back to Ravenclaw it will be to stay.

Its very strange in hindsight to think that I've done all four houses now. Partly because I've actually found that ooc people have treated me differently depending on what house appears under my username. I can't say I expected that at all.

I am still a total fan of resorting though. I think its a great way of widening your RP circles and making new friends, but also at making you stop and think about your characters and what makes them tick - and once you have motivations figured out its a heckaton easier to figure out how to play your charries, and then it becomes more fun too. Resorting in my eyes is basically a tool to keep the RP fresh as well as challenging you in your writing.

I should also add this time around with Bel is the first time I've PICKED which house to resort into. Both of my other times I did an admin sort, which I one hundred percent recommend if it is your first (or even second) time. Bel had actually already been sorted offsite the term before, so I couldn't just 'admin sort' or leave it to chance.

Also I really love that after your first resort, you only have to wait four terms instead of the whole seven. Its a great recognition of people that have been contributing to the RP for X amount of time.

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you
TeafortheSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

DERP & DIMC
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Harri Ainsworth
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Owen Montezor
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Beatrice Castell
Environmental Protection
x12
❄Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re❄| ⚕=equivalent exchange=⚕ | pinned ya!

So I've been inactive for so many terms already that I've lost count and now that I'm back (I'm sticking to it this time, swear), of course I would likely jump back into only the most major thing we have on the site: the school RPG.

Back when I first joined, 7 ooc years ago, I was sorted into Ravenclaw and that made me so happy and excited because as I was growing up, I've always wanted to be sorted in Ravenclaw, even though every other quiz I took put me in Slytherin. But so I played my then character (Beezus Castell, Ravenclaw Prefect) the ravenclaw way and in retrospect, I've come to the realization that my character was a whole separate entity from me. There were times when she ravenclaw'd and it made my head hurt so much I would want to lock her away. Numerous times she annoyed the hell out of me too.

...Slowly, I've come to accept that maybe my heart didn't bleed plain blue and bronze after all.

When Beezus graduated, I had a 'filler' character by the name of Trent Valdez who I wasn't really been able to play properly on site or otherwise. He was a Ravenclaw only because that time I was still hesitant to resort. I knew that I was half-and-half of Ravenclaw and another house, but I had my doubts because ooc-wise, I LOVED being in Ravenclaw. I wouldn't call it my home but it is my RP nest, if you will.

It was when Owen Montezor appeared that I felt like it was time. I knew that he wasn't a Ravenclaw. He was muggleborn so he didn't have any expectation from his parents which meant that I could start with a clean slate. I didn't go with the admin approach though, I chose Hufflepuff right off the bat because Owen felt very much like a Hufflepuff. Or is it just me? Lol.

He's probably my favorite of all my characters, tbh, if only because he makes me feel all fuzzy and light whenever I'm RPing him. And because, in a way, he made my transition to another go very smoothly.

But now that I am planning on bringing Owen's half-sister (Harri Ainsworth) as a first year next term, a ball of anxiety has settled deep in my stomach. I'm not sure if she's a Hufflepuff like Owen because she's 'strong-willed'. I keep thinking she might be a Gryffindor but as of now, the idea isn't sitting too snugly with me. So this time I might go with the admin approach? Maybe.

Personally, I want to experience being sorted under all the houses so we'll see. I'll just continue being anxious and excited over here at my corner.

Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote