sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1072 users online including...
Svetlmnv , Kimothy , natethegreat , duerieple

6 members
1066 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 48: January - April 2018

Term 48: January - April 2018 Term Forty-Eight: Flight of the Hawk (Sept 2094 - June 2095)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Default The Courtyard

Banner credit: MunchyBubbles

The Courtyard is where the students spend their time between lessons if they’re not in their Common Room or the Great Hall. Its architecture reveals the Courtyard to be one of the oldest parts of the castle. It connects the castle with the Grounds and also leads to the Wooden Bridge.

In the middle of the Courtyard stands an antique ceramic fountain, perfect for admiring your own reflection or making wishes at. Be aware that once your coin has been tossed into the water, you may never get it back as it will continue to sink. Be careful not to fall in as an attempt of retrieving it, the staff does not usually fancy a swim in the fountain to fetch little students.

In between classes, the Courtyard is usually filled with students enjoying some sun before heading back into the castle again. Whether you choose to occupy one of the many stone benches or enjoy a picnic in the warm lush grass, the Courtyard is the perfect place to relax with your friends from all houses.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Devin James Horton
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Deanna Joyce Horton
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Penelope Wright
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Elizabeth Wright
x1
Default RP Roulette
Teapot Occamy| gryphons&giraffes&goats,OH MY | chaser of the truth | flutiful❧

The outdoors always had a calming effect on Isa. She already spent a good portion of her time outside of classes outside, and as quidditch captain this term it seemed like she would be getting even more outdoors time during practices. Isa was currently sitting on a bench in the courtyard, strategizing in her quidditch captain’s notebook and reviewing some of the notes from Derf. She was excited about being chosen as captain of the first Hufflepuff quidditch team since quidditch had been banned at Hogwarts, but Isa was also worried that she might let her housemates down. What if the whole team turned out to be a laughing stock compared to the other teams? It was going to be a lot of work to get the team together. She appreciated that Derf was helping her, and it meant a lot to Isa to have his support.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

SPOILER!!: Isa! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
The outdoors always had a calming effect on Isa. She already spent a good portion of her time outside of classes outside, and as quidditch captain this term it seemed like she would be getting even more outdoors time during practices. Isa was currently sitting on a bench in the courtyard, strategizing in her quidditch captain’s notebook and reviewing some of the notes from Derf. She was excited about being chosen as captain of the first Hufflepuff quidditch team since quidditch had been banned at Hogwarts, but Isa was also worried that she might let her housemates down. What if the whole team turned out to be a laughing stock compared to the other teams? It was going to be a lot of work to get the team together. She appreciated that Derf was helping her, and it meant a lot to Isa to have his support.

It was an absolute gorgeous day outside and Kaysha decided that some fresh air would do her good. Being cooped up in the Castle was something she was not open to this term since she had done enough of that last term. Today, the woman opted for a visit to the Courtyard. If she was lucky today, she might be able to catch a conversation with a student or two.

As she made her way to the courtyard, she gazed up at the clear sky. Her blue eyes scanned it, looking for an owl at least. She always expected communication from her two foreign friends. Not spotting any owls, Kay directed her gaze before her. A smile graced her face when she saw the Hufflepuff Quidditch captain. "Ms Wright. I'd like to say a big congratulations to you on your new position. I'm sure you're excited and determined to be one of the best captains.''

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

DMT & DMGS
Antipodean Opaleye

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Maggie Woods
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Levi Jourdan
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Hwang Minji
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Finlay Bracken
Transportation
x4 x2
Default for Natalie/Sarah ^__^
PHILOMATH ❅ not one atom, but two ♪ ♪ made of starstuff ❅ def main():

Sylvie made her way up from the greenhouses feeling decidedly accomplished. She'd finished Herbology homework, watered a plant AND totally cleaned up after herself by sweeping the dirt under a shelf with her wand! Turns out that the failed hot air charm (or as Sylvie liked to call it, the perfectly cast regular air charm) was really useful.

Tossing an apple up and down, she reached the courtyard and decided to take a seat by the fountain, since she'd been so amazing and productive she could allow herself some free time. And because the Room of Requirement was probably in use right now and she hated waiting in front of the entrance. Sylvie took a seat on the edge of the fountain and threw the apple upwards with a twist, almost falling in as she leaned back to catch it.

Or, she could eat the apple. Instead of bouncing it up and down. What a good idea, Norcott. Taking an obnoxiously large bite, Sylvie grinned and looked around. Today was a good day.

_____________I could still change the end
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

DERP & DIMC
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Louis Bracken
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Daphne Richardson
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Natalie McKinley
Environmental Protection

x3 x1
Sardines ♥ BHB ♥ Dallie ♥ Grumpy ♥ MY SUN AND STARS ♥ i love julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Sylvie made her way up from the greenhouses feeling decidedly accomplished. She'd finished Herbology homework, watered a plant AND totally cleaned up after herself by sweeping the dirt under a shelf with her wand! Turns out that the failed hot air charm (or as Sylvie liked to call it, the perfectly cast regular air charm) was really useful.

Tossing an apple up and down, she reached the courtyard and decided to take a seat by the fountain, since she'd been so amazing and productive she could allow herself some free time. And because the Room of Requirement was probably in use right now and she hated waiting in front of the entrance. Sylvie took a seat on the edge of the fountain and threw the apple upwards with a twist, almost falling in as she leaned back to catch it.

Or, she could eat the apple. Instead of bouncing it up and down. What a good idea, Norcott. Taking an obnoxiously large bite, Sylvie grinned and looked around. Today was a good day.
Wrapped up in a big coat to keep her small frame warm, Natalie breathed in the crisp Autumn air as she went outside and looked around at the courtyard. It was sunny, thankfully, but the sun didn't beat much of the cold air. It was, at least, enough to get absorbed through her jacket and keep her warm.

She had wanted to read some more of her book on magical water life, but she also had wanted some fresh air, so she was combining the two. As she came out into the courtyard, she saw another girl her age sitting by the fountain. The girl was in her age, yes, and she did remember meeting her... but she couldn't remember her name. Did she actually get her name? Oh well.

Natalie walked up to the fountain with a small smile as the girl saved herself from falling into the fountain. Close call. "Morning," she greeted the girl as she took a bite of her apple. Oh, she should have brought a snack! Darn.

JanuaryNatalieEvangelinePiersonLouise
Old 01-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

DMT & DMGS
Antipodean Opaleye

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Maggie Woods
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Levi Jourdan
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Hwang Minji
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Finlay Bracken
Transportation
x4 x2
PHILOMATH ❅ not one atom, but two ♪ ♪ made of starstuff ❅ def main():

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlooo View Post

Wrapped up in a big coat to keep her small frame warm, Natalie breathed in the crisp Autumn air as she went outside and looked around at the courtyard. It was sunny, thankfully, but the sun didn't beat much of the cold air. It was, at least, enough to get absorbed through her jacket and keep her warm.

She had wanted to read some more of her book on magical water life, but she also had wanted some fresh air, so she was combining the two. As she came out into the courtyard, she saw another girl her age sitting by the fountain. The girl was in her age, yes, and she did remember meeting her... but she couldn't remember her name. Did she actually get her name? Oh well.

Natalie walked up to the fountain with a small smile as the girl saved herself from falling into the fountain. Close call. "Morning," she greeted the girl as she took a bite of her apple. Oh, she should have brought a snack! Darn.
Oh, she had company! This day was getting better. Turning to look at the girl, uhhhhhh, Natalie? she was pretty sure it was Natalie, because they'd met over the summer and Sylive had watched her in class until someone had said her name. Yes. So, turning to her, she gave a little wave with her apple. "Good morning," she grinned, and then nodded at her book.

"What you got there? Isn't it too early to be studying for things?" she asked, rubbing her nose and taking another, rather large, bite from her apple and perhaps spraying some apple juice on Natalie in the process. Perhaps. Not sure if the apple juice made it all the way to her, but there was definitely some spraying.

_____________I could still change the end
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
Default Garreth and anyone else that would like to play catch
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

It was an oddly warm and sunny afternoon for the time of year, and Emmalyn didn’t want to waste one moment of it. She grabbed her ball and headed to the courtyard in hopes to find someone willing to play catch with her.

Upon arrival, she noticed a nice open area that would work perfectly for a game of catch. If only there was someone else around. Sure, she could bounce the ball against the side of the castle, but that wasn’t nearly as fun as having someone throw it back.

She sat the ball down and grabbed a hair tie out of her front pocket. In a matter of seconds, she had her long brown hair pulled back in a secure ponytail. She hated when her hair got in her face when she was playing sports.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Formerly: Compootor
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement
I'm dreaming with my eyes wide open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
It was an oddly warm and sunny afternoon for the time of year, and Emmalyn didn’t want to waste one moment of it. She grabbed her ball and headed to the courtyard in hopes to find someone willing to play catch with her.

Upon arrival, she noticed a nice open area that would work perfectly for a game of catch. If only there was someone else around. Sure, she could bounce the ball against the side of the castle, but that wasn’t nearly as fun as having someone throw it back.

She sat the ball down and grabbed a hair tie out of her front pocket. In a matter of seconds, she had her long brown hair pulled back in a secure ponytail. She hated when her hair got in her face when she was playing sports.
Whoever said you couldn't be a bookworm and enjoy the good weather? That certainly wasn't a sentiment that Garreth agreed with. There were few things in the world that Garreth enjoyed more than sitting outside on a sunny afternoon and losing himself in his studies. This lovely afternoon was not to be an exception. Today's field of study? Nonverbal magic.

Sitting hitherto undisturbed in his very own cozy corner of the courtyard, the seventh-year cradled a dusty old book he'd found in the library the other night; "The Riddles of a Silent Sorcerer" a particularly obscure tome by an either anonymous or long forgotten author. Hidden within these pages, he hoped to find some trick or technique that he could use to build on last year's NVM classes and improve at nonverbal casting.. but so far, all he found were the ramblings of a madman.

Setting the book down in quiet frustration, Garreth spied a younger student with a ball close by. It had been ages since he'd seen an actual ball. He stood up and approached slowly, hands in his pockets and a swing in his step. "Hey there.." he spoke before getting too close, lest he startle the poor girl. He bent down and picked the ball up and gestured with it as if he meant to lob it in her direction. "Hope you don't mind if I join you." he gave his friendliest smile and tried not to sound too threatening. He remembered very vividly what it was like to be a first year, and how scary he thought the seventh-years were back when he was fresh off the train for the first time.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compootor View Post
Whoever said you couldn't be a bookworm and enjoy the good weather? That certainly wasn't a sentiment that Garreth agreed with. There were few things in the world that Garreth enjoyed more than sitting outside on a sunny afternoon and losing himself in his studies. This lovely afternoon was not to be an exception. Today's field of study? Nonverbal magic.

Sitting hitherto undisturbed in his very own cozy corner of the courtyard, the seventh-year cradled a dusty old book he'd found in the library the other night; "The Riddles of a Silent Sorcerer" a particularly obscure tome by an either anonymous or long forgotten author. Hidden within these pages, he hoped to find some trick or technique that he could use to build on last year's NVM classes and improve at nonverbal casting.. but so far, all he found were the ramblings of a madman.

Setting the book down in quiet frustration, Garreth spied a younger student with a ball close by. It had been ages since he'd seen an actual ball. He stood up and approached slowly, hands in his pockets and a swing in his step. "Hey there.." he spoke before getting too close, lest he startle the poor girl. He bent down and picked the ball up and gestured with it as if he meant to lob it in her direction. "Hope you don't mind if I join you." he gave his friendliest smile and tried not to sound too threatening. He remembered very vividly what it was like to be a first year, and how scary he thought the seventh-years were back when he was fresh off the train for the first time.
She tossed the ball in the air a few times, getting the feel of the air to better see how it would play on the ball. There was little to no wind that day, for which she was thankful. The stillness allowed the warmth of the sun to seep through her clothes to warm her very soul. There was a good amount of humidity in the air, and she expected either rain or even snow to soon be making its way over the forbidden forest and towards the castle.

At the apex of her current toss, she heard footsteps and a voice. Her eyes drifted towards the sound, leaving her hand at the ready to receive the ball once more. "Hello." She smiled back at the much older boy. "I'd quite enjoy someone to toss the ball with." She spun the ball in her palm, sizing up the athletic ability of her new partner. "Tossing it in the air just isn't the same."

She adjusted her position to face the young man. "I'm Emmalyn. I'm sure I've seen you around, but I can't seem to remember your name. I've never been good with name." She smiled and blushed a little bit. Recalling names had always been trouble for her. A great as she was at remembering a face, she was equally as bad with names.

Keeping her eyes on his, she gently lobbed the baseball towards him, hoping he would catch it before it hit the ground. "Here you go. I have a few ball mitts in my bag, if you would like." She motioned to the bag sitting on the nearby bench.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Ball Incoming! The Seventh-Year let out a slightly (very) embarrassing squeak as he lunged for the ball Emmalyn had tossed at him. It had obviously been a while since he played catch, if in fact he ever had. Unexpectedly, however, he actually managed to catch it!

"You're right, and the walls aren't very good playmates either." he agreed with a smirk. He raised the hand holding the ball to his eye-level and examined it quickly before turning his attention back to the first year and tossing it back in her direction. "It's nice to meet you, Emmalyn." he spoke with his warmest smile. "My name's Garreth, but I'm assuming the name you've heard is the occasional 'Mr. Kenway' from the professors."

The boy shot a glance towards Emmalyn's bag and then back at her. "You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen a baseball in-person. Let alone a ball mitt." He wasn't one-hundred percent sure, but baseball was not a sport that was very popular where he came from, and the memorabilia and equipment used in it were rare. Come to think of it, Garreth wasn't sure he'd ever seen a baseball bat either. Cricket, obviously, but baseball? Not that he could recall. "But I'd love to try one on."
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
Ball Incoming! The Seventh-Year let out a slightly (very) embarrassing squeak as he lunged for the ball Emmalyn had tossed at him. It had obviously been a while since he played catch, if in fact he ever had. Unexpectedly, however, he actually managed to catch it!

"You're right, and the walls aren't very good playmates either." he agreed with a smirk. He raised the hand holding the ball to his eye-level and examined it quickly before turning his attention back to the first year and tossing it back in her direction. "It's nice to meet you, Emmalyn." he spoke with his warmest smile. "My name's Garreth, but I'm assuming the name you've heard is the occasional 'Mr. Kenway' from the professors."

The boy shot a glance towards Emmalyn's bag and then back at her. "You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen a baseball in-person. Let alone a ball mitt." He wasn't one-hundred percent sure, but baseball was not a sport that was very popular where he came from, and the memorabilia and equipment used in it were rare. Come to think of it, Garreth wasn't sure he'd ever seen a baseball bat either. Cricket, obviously, but baseball? Not that he could recall. "But I'd love to try one on."
Thankful he caught the ball, Emmalyn gave him an approving smile. "Ah, yes, Mr. Kenway, I've heard that name in class several times." She shook her head a bit. Those older boys were always getting in trouble. However, they sure did make class more interesting.

Never seen a baseball or ball mitt? She kept forgetting that not only was she muggle born, but she spent most of her life in the United States. Her family only moved back to Ireland just under two years before she left for Hogwarts. "Oh, well, I have one that will fit you just fine. It does a great job taking the sting off of harder throws." She skipped over to her bag and grabbed both of the mitts. She figured she better put hers on too, unsure of how accurate his throws would be.

Walking back over to hand Garreth the mitt, she let the sun continue to warm her face. "Here you go." She jogged back to the other side of the short grassy area and put her hand in her mitt. She bent over slightly and pounded her fit in her mitt, because that's what all serious baseball players did, then held it out and ready. "I'm ready when you are!" she called over with a gleeful smile.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Text Cut: Emmalyn
Quote:
Thankful he caught the ball, Emmalyn gave him an approving smile. "Ah, yes, Mr. Kenway, I've heard that name in class several times." She shook her head a bit. Those older boys were always getting in trouble. However, they sure did make class more interesting.

Never seen a baseball or ball mitt? She kept forgetting that not only was she muggle born, but she spent most of her life in the United States. Her family only moved back to Ireland just under two years before she left for Hogwarts. "Oh, well, I have one that will fit you just fine. It does a great job taking the sting off of harder throws." She skipped over to her bag and grabbed both of the mitts. She figured she better put hers on too, unsure of how accurate his throws would be.

Walking back over to hand Garreth the mitt, she let the sun continue to warm her face. "Here you go." She jogged back to the other side of the short grassy area and put her hand in her mitt. She bent over slightly and pounded her fit in her mitt, because that's what all serious baseball players did, then held it out and ready. "I'm ready when you are!" she called over with a gleeful smile.
A shake of the head?
Garreth hoped he hadn't garnered some kind of reputation among the first-years. He wasn't arrogant enough to entertain the idea that any of them looked up to him, but maybe he should be on his best behavior just in case. "This will be my seventh year at Hogwarts, and I've yet to get used to being called 'Mr. Kenway'." He gave a grin and eagerly accepted the mitt.

And what a bizarre creation this object was. Garreth had to turn it a couple times to find where to put his hand and even then, he wasn't sure he'd done it right. The Seventh-year couldn't help but chuckle at the weird mess of leather he'd attached to his hand. "This thing is ridiculous." he laughed, fiddling with the ball in his other hand. All jokes aside, he did like the idea of a baseball mitt, but it would take him a moment to get over the look.

It had been a while since Garreth put any actual effort into throwing a ball, but he was fairly confident he remembered what to do. Just like riding a broom, you never forget. "Okay then, here goes!" With a wide smile on his face, he swung his arm around, leaned back and raised his leg in what would go down as history's most hilariously exaggerated baseball windup. Then, with a laugh, he sent the ball flying towards Emmalyn's mitt.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
A shake of the head?
Garreth hoped he hadn't garnered some kind of reputation among the first-years. He wasn't arrogant enough to entertain the idea that any of them looked up to him, but maybe he should be on his best behavior just in case. "This will be my seventh year at Hogwarts, and I've yet to get used to being called 'Mr. Kenway'." He gave a grin and eagerly accepted the mitt.

And what a bizarre creation this object was. Garreth had to turn it a couple times to find where to put his hand and even then, he wasn't sure he'd done it right. The Seventh-year couldn't help but chuckle at the weird mess of leather he'd attached to his hand. "This thing is ridiculous." he laughed, fiddling with the ball in his other hand. All jokes aside, he did like the idea of a baseball mitt, but it would take him a moment to get over the look.

It had been a while since Garreth put any actual effort into throwing a ball, but he was fairly confident he remembered what to do. Just like riding a broom, you never forget. "Okay then, here goes!" With a wide smile on his face, he swung his arm around, leaned back and raised his leg in what would go down as history's most hilariously exaggerated baseball windup. Then, with a laugh, he sent the ball flying towards Emmalyn's mitt.

Emmalyn tried, without much success, to keep from giggling as Garreth looked over the mitt. It was even better watching him try to place it correctly on his hand. "It does take a bit to get used to." She replied. "I guess you don't see them a lot around here. I'm just glad my dad let me bring them. He said no to my lacrosse sticks." Oh, how she missed playing lacrosse. Although, being on the Hufflepuff quidditch team was quickly becoming her favorite. Flying, quaffles, bludgers zooming around and trying to knock you off the broom...it was simply the best.

At his announcement, Emmalyn readied herself. She had no idea if the boy could throw a ball or not, and she didn't want a baseball to the face. She crouched down a bit in an infielders ready position, at the ready to lunge to either side. She tried not to laugh as he wound up, something like the old time pitchers used to do. Then he threw the ball. "Nice arm!" she shouted as she positioned her mitt to catch the incoming throw. Thump! Ahh, such a nice sound of ball meeting leather. His throw was surprisingly good and she was thankful he didn't hold back. Sure she was much smaller than he and a girl, but she could play just as well as the older crowd and the boys.

Then it was her turn. "Okay, you will want to sort of pretend the glove is just an extinction of your hand. You can just reach out and grab the ball. You might want to use your other hand on the back side of the top of the mitt to help grab the ball." Probably not the best instructions, but she hand never coached. Plus, by the way he put the mitt on, she was almost positive he had never used one in his life. "I'll do my best to place one right at chest level. hold your mitt to the side like this" she held her mitt in demonstration. "Don't put it open to the sky, that will just send the ball up and smack you in the face."

"Get ready." She said as she leaned back then stepped forward and threw the ball. It was a bit harder than she originally hoped, but she was sure a boy of his size could manage. She watched, eyes a bit wide, hoping he would be able to catch it and not hurt himself in the process.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Emmalyn tried, without much success, to keep from giggling as Garreth looked over the mitt. It was even better watching him try to place it correctly on his hand. "It does take a bit to get used to." She replied. "I guess you don't see them a lot around here. I'm just glad my dad let me bring them. He said no to my lacrosse sticks." Oh, how she missed playing lacrosse. Although, being on the Hufflepuff quidditch team was quickly becoming her favorite. Flying, quaffles, bludgers zooming around and trying to knock you off the broom...it was simply the best.

At his announcement, Emmalyn readied herself. She had no idea if the boy could throw a ball or not, and she didn't want a baseball to the face. She crouched down a bit in an infielders ready position, at the ready to lunge to either side. She tried not to laugh as he wound up, something like the old time pitchers used to do. Then he threw the ball. "Nice arm!" she shouted as she positioned her mitt to catch the incoming throw. Thump! Ahh, such a nice sound of ball meeting leather. His throw was surprisingly good and she was thankful he didn't hold back. Sure she was much smaller than he and a girl, but she could play just as well as the older crowd and the boys.

Then it was her turn. "Okay, you will want to sort of pretend the glove is just an extinction of your hand. You can just reach out and grab the ball. You might want to use your other hand on the back side of the top of the mitt to help grab the ball." Probably not the best instructions, but she hand never coached. Plus, by the way he put the mitt on, she was almost positive he had never used one in his life. "I'll do my best to place one right at chest level. hold your mitt to the side like this" she held her mitt in demonstration. "Don't put it open to the sky, that will just send the ball up and smack you in the face."

"Get ready." She said as she leaned back then stepped forward and threw the ball. It was a bit harder than she originally hoped, but she was sure a boy of his size could manage. She watched, eyes a bit wide, hoping he would be able to catch it and not hurt himself in the process.
"I don't think I've ever seen a lacrosse stick either." Garreth admitted. "Although that may just be because I'm not a very sporty type. How do you play?" he was positive lacrosse was at least slightly more common this side of the pond than baseball, but nevertheless, he hadn't encountered any mention of it in his hometown of Grimsby, nor had he met anyone else at Hogwarts who spoke of it.

"Thank you very much." the boy smirked, pleased that the baseball expert approved of his ability to throw a ball. Now it was time to see if he could actually manage to catch one using this weird leather monstrosity on his hand. He nodded at Emmalyn's instructions, trying to absorb what he could of her demonstration. Mimicking her ready-position, he crouched down slightly and raised his arm in front of him. "I'm ready. I think." He braced himself for the worst, just in case this first-year secretly had a cannon for an arm.

Thump! The ball his his glove, but being so new to it, he didn't quite manage to grip it. It bounced up to the side, and looked like it was going to hit the ground, but in a stroke of reflexive genius, Garreth managed to lunge for it and catch it in his right hand mere inches from the ground. "Phew!" he exclaimed, walking back to his original position. The boy took a step back and threw the ball towards Emmalyn, this time leaving out the exaggerated windup. "Let me try that again." he laughed, obviously wanting to prove, perhaps to himself more than anything, that he could do it without looking like an idiot.

Last edited by DragonBear; 01-25-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Text Cut: Garreth
Quote:
"I don't think I'm ever seen a lacrosse stick either." Garreth admitted. "Although that may just be because I'm not a very sporty type. How do you play?" he was positive lacrosse was at least slightly more common this side of the pond than baseball, but nevertheless, he hadn't encountered any mention of it in his hometown of Grimsby, nor had he met anyone else at Hogwarts who spoke of it.

"Thank you very much." the boy smirked, pleased that the baseball expert approved of his ability to throw a ball. Now it was time to see if he could actually manage to catch one using this weird leather monstrosity on his hand. He nodded at Emmalyn's instructions, trying to absorb what he could of her demonstration. Mimicking her ready-position, he crouched down slightly and raised his arm in front of him. "I'm ready. I think." He braced himself for the worst, just in case this first-year secretly had a cannon for an arm.

Thump! The ball his his glove, but being so new to it, he didn't quite manage to grip it. It bounced up to the side, and looked like it was going to hit the ground, but in a stroke of reflexive genius, Garreth managed to lunge for it and catch it in his right hand mere inches from the ground. "Phew!" he exclaimed, walking back to his original position. The boy took a step back and threw the ball towards Emmalyn, this time leaving out the exaggerated windup. "Let me try that again." he laughed, obviously wanting to prove, perhaps to himself more than anything, that he could do it without looking like an idiot.

She thought a moment about how best to describe lacrosse. “Well, it’s sort of like a muggle Quidditch.” Without all of the cool stuff like flying, bludgers, and a golden snitch. “You use these sticks that have a net on the end and you run the ball down the field and try to score a goal.” Now that she was thinking about it, it wasn’t even a close second to the thrill of quidditch. “I guess you would have to see it to get a better picture. I’m not that great at describing it.”

Emmalyn jumped and cheered when he caught the ball. It was a quite unorthodox way of catching it, but he did it. “Nice save!” Yes, he would do just fine as a ball player. “I thought you were going to drop it for a moment.”

Emmalyn readied herself for the return throw. Garreths windup was far less dramatic than the previous throw, but still very effective. The ball sailed across the green space, slowly spinning and curving slightly to the left. She leaned to account for the curve, reached out her mitt, and THUMP, caught the ball. “Nice curve ball! Are you sure you’ve never played baseball before?” She asked with a giant smile. It occurred to her that there could possibly be enough students at Hogwarts with similar skills, maybe they could make a club baseball team.

She palmed the ball in her left hand then tossed it in the air a few times. The wind was starting to pick up a bit and the cool breeze fought against the warm sun against her face. “Get ready” she announced as she prepared to release another throw to her new ball buddy. The ball left her fingertips with a slight flick and began spinning its way towards Garreth. “So, you’re a seventh year. What do you have planned for after Hogwarts” She asked as the ball whooshed towards its intended target.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Quote:
She thought a moment about how best to describe lacrosse. “Well, it’s sort of like a muggle Quidditch.” Without all of the cool stuff like flying, bludgers, and a golden snitch. “You use these sticks that have a net on the end and you run the ball down the field and try to score a goal.” Now that she was thinking about it, it wasn’t even a close second to the thrill of quidditch. “I guess you would have to see it to get a better picture. I’m not that great at describing it.”

Emmalyn jumped and cheered when he caught the ball. It was a quite unorthodox way of catching it, but he did it. “Nice save!” Yes, he would do just fine as a ball player. “I thought you were going to drop it for a moment.”

Emmalyn readied herself for the return throw. Garreths windup was far less dramatic than the previous throw, but still very effective. The ball sailed across the green space, slowly spinning and curving slightly to the left. She leaned to account for the curve, reached out her mitt, and THUMP, caught the ball. “Nice curve ball! Are you sure you’ve never played baseball before?” She asked with a giant smile. It occurred to her that there could possibly be enough students at Hogwarts with similar skills, maybe they could make a club baseball team.

She palmed the ball in her left hand then tossed it in the air a few times. The wind was starting to pick up a bit and the cool breeze fought against the warm sun against her face. “Get ready” she announced as she prepared to release another throw to her new ball buddy. The ball left her fingertips with a slight flick and began spinning its way towards Garreth. “So, you’re a seventh year. What do you have planned for after Hogwarts” She asked as the ball whooshed towards its intended target.
Garreth found it hard to keep down his giggles when he tried to imagine the mere concept of 'Muggle Quidditch'. Sounds a bit silly, doesn't it? "That sounds like it would look ridiculous!" he finally let out with a chuckle. "Uh.. No offence, of course." he added quickly, hoping not to offend Emmalyn who was clearly a fan, since she'd wanted to bring her lacrosse sticks to Hogwarts. "I suppose cricket isn't any less ridiculous, now that I think about it." the boy grinned.

For a moment, Garreth had looked just as surprised as Emmalyn that he'd actually managed to catch the ball. His look of surprise had quickly turned into a self-satisfied smile though, an attitude which continued to increase his confidence as their game of catch went on. "Thank you." he beamed over at the first year. "I assure you, the curve ball was entirely by accident. Up until today, I'd never even seen a baseball, let alone thrown one." the laughter in his voice made it clear he was enjoying himself, despite not being a very sporty person.

Once again, at Emmalyn's warning, Garreth braced himself to receive the ball. "Ready as I'll ever be." he announced to his new friend. The curve the ball's trajectory was unexpected, but easy to compensate for once he'd spotted it. The boy took two quick steps to the right and raised his catching arm. A slight grunt, followed by a satisfying Thump! Awesome! "Well, I always wanted to work at the Ministry of Magic in London.." he threw the ball up in the air a couple times, wound up and let it sail in a high arch towards Emmalyn again. "But I think maybe a career in professional Baseball might be in the cards for me." he joked.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
Garreth found it hard to keep down his giggles when he tried to imagine the mere concept of 'Muggle Quidditch'. Sounds a bit silly, doesn't it? "That sounds like it would look ridiculous!" he finally let out with a chuckle. "Uh.. No offence, of course." he added quickly, hoping not to offend Emmalyn who was clearly a fan, since she'd wanted to bring her lacrosse sticks to Hogwarts. "I suppose cricket isn't any less ridiculous, now that I think about it." the boy grinned.

For a moment, Garreth had looked just as surprised as Emmalyn that he'd actually managed to catch the ball. His look of surprise had quickly turned into a self-satisfied smile though, an attitude which continued to increase his confidence as their game of catch went on. "Thank you." he beamed over at the first year. "I assure you, the curve ball was entirely by accident. Up until today, I'd never even seen a baseball, let alone thrown one." the laughter in his voice made it clear he was enjoying himself, despite not being a very sporty person.

Once again, at Emmalyn's warning, Garreth braced himself to receive the ball. "Ready as I'll ever be." he announced to his new friend. The curve the ball's trajectory was unexpected, but easy to compensate for once he'd spotted it. The boy took two quick steps to the right and raised his catching arm. A slight grunt, followed by a satisfying Thump! Awesome! "Well, I always wanted to work at the Ministry of Magic in London.." he threw the ball up in the air a couple times, wound up and let it sail in a high arch towards Emmalyn again. "But I think maybe a career in professional Baseball might be in the cards for me." he joked.

Cricket? Now, that was a sport she could do without. It was like they were trying to be cool and play baseball, but couldn’t quite figure it out. Then she began to wonder what magical kids played. Sure, they had brooms for quidditch. But, was that it? Sports were a huge part of her life and she didn’t want to think about what she would do without playing them.

“Well, you are doing brilliantly for never having held a baseball before.” Her smile was genuine and her eyes sort of sparkled in the setting sunlight. She watched as the ball flew towards Garreth, his adjustment, then successful catch. “Nice one!” He was improving.

“Ha! Keep it up and you may very well have a future being a sports star.” She held her belly as she laughed. Emmalyn was enjoying Garreth’s humor. She was at ease around him, even with their age difference. She bet he was a great big brother, if he had any siblings. “So, the Ministry of Magic. That sounds interesting.” She knew very little about the Ministry of Magic and even less about the jobs available there. “So, is the Ministry in charge of all things magical? Like Hogwarts too?” She would need to look more into it.

She eyed the ball as it arched towards her like an outfield high fly, lazily holding her mitt out and letting the ball softly land in her palm. She quickly flicked the ball from her mitt to her open hand and threw it back to Garreth.

“I think I want to be a professional Quidditch player when I grow up.” She had only been playing a few months, but her time on the Hufflepuff team had been fantastic. She could definitely see herself playing, or even coaching, long term.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Cricket? Now, that was a sport she could do without. It was like they were trying to be cool and play baseball, but couldn’t quite figure it out. Then she began to wonder what magical kids played. Sure, they had brooms for quidditch. But, was that it? Sports were a huge part of her life and she didn’t want to think about what she would do without playing them.

“Well, you are doing brilliantly for never having held a baseball before.” Her smile was genuine and her eyes sort of sparkled in the setting sunlight. She watched as the ball flew towards Garreth, his adjustment, then successful catch. “Nice one!” He was improving.

“Ha! Keep it up and you may very well have a future being a sports star.” She held her belly as she laughed. Emmalyn was enjoying Garreth’s humor. She was at ease around him, even with their age difference. She bet he was a great big brother, if he had any siblings. “So, the Ministry of Magic. That sounds interesting.” She knew very little about the Ministry of Magic and even less about the jobs available there. “So, is the Ministry in charge of all things magical? Like Hogwarts too?” She would need to look more into it.

She eyed the ball as it arched towards her like an outfield high fly, lazily holding her mitt out and letting the ball softly land in her palm. She quickly flicked the ball from her mitt to her open hand and threw it back to Garreth.

“I think I want to be a professional Quidditch player when I grow up.” She had only been playing a few months, but her time on the Hufflepuff team had been fantastic. She could definitely see herself playing, or even coaching, long term.

Garreth beamed a self-satisfied grin at the first year, perhaps revealing how surprised he was at his own apparent ability. He appreciated the positive feedback more than he let on, as he'd never been the sporty type and no one had ever complimented him on any athletic ability, even just catching a ball. This was probably the first time in years that he'd played a ball-game that he liked, and was actually not terrible at. They would have to do this more often!

"Thank you very much." the seventh year let out a chuckle at his own joke and Emmalyn's continuation of it. "I'll sign your ball right now, if you like. That way it'll be worth a fortune by the time I'm personally winning the world series." Emmalyn was one of the few people Garreth had met in the last six years that immediately took to his humor. Come to think of it, she was one of the few people with whom he'd been immediately able to joke. She reminded him of his little sister. She would be starting Hogwarts next term, and he hoped she'd get taken care of by one of the older students.

"Sort of. They govern magical law in Great Britain." he answered her question with a smile. "Hogwarts is a private school, independent of the Ministry. They don't really have much of a say about what goes on here. They did for a little while, many years ago, but not anymore." It was a long, complicated story involving dark wizards and political intrigue but he could tell it if Emmalyn was really curious. He had to pause there, though, as the ball was once again heading towards him.

Thump!

"You know you have a deceptively strong throw for someone your size." he teased the first year, hoping she wouldn't be offended. He meant it as a compliment, really. "I'm glad you had this mitt in your bag, my hand would be ruined if I didn't have it." he waved his gloved hand, genuinely appreciative of his protective mitt.

When Emmalyn told him of her Quidditch ambitions, he couldn't help but grin widely. "Well, maybe you should sign my broom, then." Garreth had seen her at the tryouts and she was undoubtedly a fantastic flyer, far better than he was, and her goal looked genuinely realistic. Though he joked about her signing his broom, his belief that she could achieve the dream was genuine.

Last edited by DragonBear; 01-27-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:

Garreth beamed a self-satisfied grin at the first year, perhaps revealing how surprised he was at his own apparent ability. He appreciated the positive feedback more than he let on, as he'd never been the sporty type and no one had ever complimented him on any athletic ability, even just catching a ball. This was probably the first time in years that he'd played a ball-game that he liked, and was actually not terrible at. They would have to do this more often!

"Thank you very much." the seventh year let out a chuckle at his own joke and Emmalyn's continuation of it. "I'll sign your ball right now, if you like. That way it'll be worth a fortune by the time I'm personally winning the world series." Emmalyn was one of the few people Garreth had met in the last six years that immediately took to his humor. Come to think of it, she was one of the few people with whom he'd been immediately able to joke. She reminded him of his little sister. She would be starting Hogwarts next term, and he hoped she'd get taken care of by one of the older students.

"Sort of. They govern magical law in Great Britain." he answered her question with a smile. "Hogwarts is a private school, independent of the Ministry. They don't really have much of a say about what goes on here. They did for a little while, many years ago, but not anymore." It was a long, complicated story involving dark wizards and political intrigue but he could tell it if Emmalyn was really curious. He had to pause there, though, as the ball was once again heading towards him.

Thump!

"You know you have a deceptively strong throw for someone your size." he teased the first year, hoping she wouldn't be offended. He meant it as a compliment, really. "I'm glad you had this mitt in your bag, my hand would be ruined if I didn't have it." he waved his gloved hand, genuinely appreciative of his protective mitt.

When Emmalyn told him of her Quidditch ambitions, he couldn't help but grin widely. "Well, maybe you should sign my broom, then." Garreth had seen her at the tryouts and she was undoubtedly a fantastic flyer, far better than he was, and her goal looked genuinely realistic. Though he joked about her signing his broom, his belief that she could achieve the dream was genuine.

Emmalyn let out a giant belly laugh at the offer to sign her ball. She absolutely loved the idea. Silly as it was, it would be a great way to remember the very first time she played catch at Hogwarts. "I have a quill in my bag. Don't let me leave without you signing it." She continued to giggle "If I get rich off it, I really could do nothing but play quidditch for the rest of my life." Now, that would be a dream. Flying though the air, scoring goals, and dodging bludgers every day.

"So, the Ministry is kind of like the Muggle government." Yet, Hogwarts was above the law. That seemed cool. "What sort of job would you want to do for them?" Police officer, judge, lawyer, there had to be a lot of options. Now she was really exposing herself as a complete muggle born. She might have to start paying more attention in History of Magic class.

"Thanks!" She replied to his complement. It was a nice complement coming from someone of his size and strength. "My dad and I used to play all of the time. He was always cheering me on to put my weight into my throws." She looked down at her slender, athletic frame, "I guess all the practice helped."

She let out another belly laugh at he tease to sign his broom. "I'll happily sign your broom, but you have to play a game of quidditch with me first." Smiling, she readied herself for another throw to come sailing her way. This was possibly the most fun she had at Hogwarts, off the pitch, the entire year. It was fun to just be a kid again. Not a witch or muggle or first year, just a kid.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Quote:
Emmalyn let out a giant belly laugh at the offer to sign her ball. She absolutely loved the idea. Silly as it was, it would be a great way to remember the very first time she played catch at Hogwarts. "I have a quill in my bag. Don't let me leave without you signing it." She continued to giggle "If I get rich off it, I really could do nothing but play quidditch for the rest of my life." Now, that would be a dream. Flying though the air, scoring goals, and dodging bludgers every day.

"So, the Ministry is kind of like the Muggle government." Yet, Hogwarts was above the law. That seemed cool. "What sort of job would you want to do for them?" Police officer, judge, lawyer, there had to be a lot of options. Now she was really exposing herself as a complete muggle born. She might have to start paying more attention in History of Magic class.

"Thanks!" She replied to his complement. It was a nice complement coming from someone of his size and strength. "My dad and I used to play all of the time. He was always cheering me on to put my weight into my throws." She looked down at her slender, athletic frame, "I guess all the practice helped."

She let out another belly laugh at he teased to sign his broom. "I'll happily sign your broom, but you have to play a game of quidditch with me first." Smiling, she readied herself for another throw to come sailing her way. This was possibly the most fun she had at Hogwarts, off the pitch, the entire year. It was fun to just be a kid again. Not a witch or muggle or first year, just a kid.

Garreth really had been kidding about signing Emmalyn's ball. After all, who would want his messy handwriting vandalizing their property? But she seemed to be taking to the idea rather well. It was pretty funny. Very well. He'd do it. "Okay, but be warned: My handwriting looks like a Confundus Charmed Troll's." There, at least she'd been warned. He smiled brightly as she talked about getting to play Quidditch all day every day. "You know they say that if you can find a way to get paid for doing something you love, you never have to work a day in your life." The quote came from someone who's name he had long since forgotten, but it wasn't that important. "As far as dream jobs go, Quidditch is pretty attainable. Especially for someone as skilled as you are."

"Well, sort of. The Ministry works with the muggle government to keep up the Statute of Secrecy and what have you, but they deal with way more varied issues." his explanation wasn't very detailed, but did that really matter? He'd explained the basics, and Emmalyn still had plenty of time to understand the ministry. She had the best seven years of her life right on the horizon, and if Garreth was honest, he envied her. "I'd love to work at the Department of Mysteries. I hear they do some crazy stuff!"

"It certainly did!" the boy exclaimed, shaking his arm as if it ached. "It's not like I play a lot of catch, so I'm not an expert, but it seems to me you have the technique down! You could probably throw me!" he joked, keeping the mood light. No need to start examining each others performance too seriously, lest he get embarrassed about his.

"I'll see what I can do." he smirked as he wound up and let the ball fly towards Emmalyn again. A bit of an accidental curveball again, but nothing too extreme. If Garreth didn't know better he was actually improving. "I'm not much of an athlete and it's been years, but I guess I could give Quidditch another go. he nodded. Normally, he wouldn't even consider it, but something about Emmalyn and how their game of catch was going had him convinced. Maybe it would be fun!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:

Garreth really had been kidding about signing Emmalyn's ball. After all, who would want his messy handwriting vandalizing their property? But she seemed to be taking to the idea rather well. It was pretty funny. Very well. He'd do it. "Okay, but be warned: My handwriting looks like a Confundus Charmed Troll's." There, at least she'd been warned. He smiled brightly as she talked about getting to play Quidditch all day every day. "You know they say that if you can find a way to get paid for doing something you love, you never have to work a day in your life." The quote came from someone who's name he had long since forgotten, but it wasn't that important. "As far as dream jobs go, Quidditch is pretty attainable. Especially for someone as skilled as you are."

"Well, sort of. The Ministry works with the muggle government to keep up the Statute of Secrecy and what have you, but they deal with way more varied issues." his explanation wasn't very detailed, but did that really matter? He'd explained the basics, and Emmalyn still had plenty of time to understand the ministry. She had the best seven years of her life right on the horizon, and if Garreth was honest, he envied her. "I'd love to work at the Department of Mysteries. I hear they do some crazy stuff!"

"It certainly did!" the boy exclaimed, shaking his arm as if it ached. "It's not like I play a lot of catch, so I'm not an expert, but it seems to me you have the technique down! You could probably throw me!" he joked, keeping the mood light. No need to start examining each others performance too seriously, lest he get embarrassed about his.

"I'll see what I can do." he smirked as he wound up and let the ball fly towards Emmalyn again. A bit of an accidental curveball again, but nothing too extreme. If Garreth didn't know better he was actually improving. "I'm not much of an athlete and it's been years, but I guess I could give Quidditch another go. he nodded. Normally, he wouldn't even consider it, but something about Emmalyn and how their game of catch was going had him convinced. Maybe it would be fun!

She giggled as he spoke about his handwriting. She pictured Garreth turning into a Troll, all confused and stumbling around. Trying to figure out when end of the quill to write with. Nodding in agreement with his statement, "It would be like never having to work at all." Yes, that would be a great way to live. It could possibly work even if she was a mum some day. Most games were played at night or on the weekend. Surely having kids wouldn't keep you so busy that one couldn't play quidditch.

All of the information about the Ministry was going over her head. She knew she had to do some reading about it later on. A trip to the library was in order. "Wow, the Department of Mysteries sounds dangerous. I mean, if it's so mysterious that even the witches and wizards don't know much about, it must be crazy." She was picturing the employees all dressed in long, solid black robes sneaking around.

She watched as Garreth sent another ball sailing her way. Another good curve ball. She shifted slightly to intercept, the resulting THUD on her mitt announced the balls arrival. "Nice!" He really was getting better. "I'd be happy to take you on the field anytime you would like. I bet I can even grab some of the school equipment from the locker room for us to play with." She really meant that. It was fantastic playing with her teammates, but it would also be nice to just be able to play without the focus on winning the next game. That's one of the reasons she liked playing catch so much. No winning or losing, just having fun.

It suddenly hit her that Garreth would not be at Hogwarts the next year. Sure, they had been talking about plans for after school, but she hadn't put the two together yet. "Oh, so I guess you won't be around next fall to play. This is your last year here." She tossed the ball up in the air a few times, watching the stitching spin around as it traveled back to her mitt. "Well, I guess that means we better hang out as much as we can before you leave." Yes, that's exactly what they would have to do. If he wouldn't be too embarrassed hanging out with a first year.

She grabbed the ball tightly in her left hand, wound up, and really let one fly towards Garreth. It was more of the speed she would use to pitch a strike, not just play catch. She hoped he was ready for it because the ball would be there before she could offer warning.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

Quote:

She giggled as he spoke about his handwriting. She pictured Garreth turning into a Troll, all confused and stumbling around. Trying to figure out when end of the quill to write with. Nodding in agreement with his statement, "It would be like never having to work at all." Yes, that would be a great way to live. It could possibly work even if she was a mum some day. Most games were played at night or on the weekend. Surely having kids wouldn't keep you so busy that one couldn't play quidditch.

All of the information about the Ministry was going over her head. She knew she had to do some reading about it later on. A trip to the library was in order. "Wow, the Department of Mysteries sounds dangerous. I mean, if it's so mysterious that even the witches and wizards don't know much about, it must be crazy." She was picturing the employees all dressed in long, solid black robes sneaking around.

She watched as Garreth sent another ball sailing her way. Another good curve ball. She shifted slightly to intercept, the resulting THUD on her mitt announced the balls arrival. "Nice!" He really was getting better. "I'd be happy to take you on the field anytime you would like. I bet I can even grab some of the school equipment from the locker room for us to play with." She really meant that. It was fantastic playing with her teammates, but it would also be nice to just be able to play without the focus on winning the next game. That's one of the reasons she liked playing catch so much. No winning or losing, just having fun.

It suddenly hit her that Garreth would not be at Hogwarts the next year. Sure, they had been talking about plans for after school, but she hadn't put the two together yet. "Oh, so I guess you won't be around next fall to play. This is your last year here." She tossed the ball up in the air a few times, watching the stitching spin around as it traveled back to her mitt. "Well, I guess that means we better hang out as much as we can before you leave." Yes, that's exactly what they would have to do. If he wouldn't be too embarrassed hanging out with a first year.

She grabbed the ball tightly in her left hand, wound up, and really let one fly towards Garreth. It was more of the speed she would use to pitch a strike, not just play catch. She hoped he was ready for it because the ball would be there before she could offer warning.
Garreth was very pleased with his ability to summon laughter in his younger friend. It was possibly the best sign to him that he wasn't making an idiot of himself. Either that or he was making an idiot of himself, and that's what she was laughing at, but according to the context clues, it was more likely to be the former scenario. "Yeah, I think I would be worried about the job ruining my enjoyment of the game though." Now that he'd begun to think about it, he realized it could be a very risky move. You better love the game if you're thinking about doing it for a living.

"Hmm.. I've never really thought about that." He scratched his head. "But I suppose of all the departments, the department of mysteries might be one of the more dangerous ones. I guess it depends on what position you have." He pondered her reasoning about the DM being secretive and smirked. "Well, yeah, it is called the department of 'mysteries'." he chuckled.

He hadn't really been all that serious about playing Quidditch. Maybe 40% serious. But he could clearly see at this point that Emmalyn meant every word. The thought was a little scary, but somewhere in the back of his mind, the seventh year could see a scenario in which he didn't fall and hurt himself, and maybe even had some fun. "You know what? Sure. I'll play Quidditch with you sometime. You just say the word, and I'm there. Go easy on me though." The boy beamed. Jumping into something like this wasn't really like him, but something about Emmalyn just put him in a relaxed mood.

It was true, Garreth wouldn't be coming back to Hogwarts next term, a fact that was hard to swallow, even though he'd been preparing for it for at least a year. He had expected to become attached to Hogwarts, but nothing could have prepared him for the way it felt to know he wouldn't be coming back. He struggled not to frown slightly, but managed to control himself. "Yeah, I'm off to bigger and better things." he smiled. "Well, bigger, at least."

He was about to say something else, but he had to take a quick break as there was suddenly a ball flying right at him going at least Mach 2. "Wooaaouw!" he screeched as the ball hit him right in the chest and he stumbled backwards. He threw his arms up and stopped the ball from falling and hitting the ground, but nothing was going to stop his butt from hitting it. A moment of silence passed as Garreth tried to feel for any damage. Had he broken anything? The tension was broken a moment later by the seventh-year's uncontrollable laughter. It seemed all that had been bruised was his ego. "I still have a lot to improve on, it seems." he giggled, brushing the dust off his pants as he stood.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
Garreth was very pleased with his ability to summon laughter in his younger friend. It was possibly the best sign to him that he wasn't making an idiot of himself. Either that or he was making an idiot of himself, and that's what she was laughing at, but according to the context clues, it was more likely to be the former scenario. "Yeah, I think I would be worried about the job ruining my enjoyment of the game though." Now that he'd begun to think about it, he realized it could be a very risky move. You better love the game if you're thinking about doing it for a living.

"Hmm.. I've never really thought about that." He scratched his head. "But I suppose of all the departments, the department of mysteries might be one of the more dangerous ones. I guess it depends on what position you have." He pondered her reasoning about the DM being secretive and smirked. "Well, yeah, it is called the department of 'mysteries'." he chuckled.

He hadn't really been all that serious about playing Quidditch. Maybe 40% serious. But he could clearly see at this point that Emmalyn meant every word. The thought was a little scary, but somewhere in the back of his mind, the seventh year could see a scenario in which he didn't fall and hurt himself, and maybe even had some fun. "You know what? Sure. I'll play Quidditch with you sometime. You just say the word, and I'm there. Go easy on me though." The boy beamed. Jumping into something like this wasn't really like him, but something about Emmalyn just put him in a relaxed mood.

It was true, Garreth wouldn't be coming back to Hogwarts next term, a fact that was hard to swallow, even though he'd been preparing for it for at least a year. He had expected to become attached to Hogwarts, but nothing could have prepared him for the way it felt to know he wouldn't be coming back. He struggled not to frown slightly, but managed to control himself. "Yeah, I'm off to bigger and better things." he smiled. "Well, bigger, at least."

He was about to say something else, but he had to take a quick break as there was suddenly a ball flying right at him going at least Mach 2. "Wooaaouw!" he screeched as the ball hit him right in the chest and he stumbled backwards. He threw his arms up and stopped the ball from falling and hitting the ground, but nothing was going to stop his butt from hitting it. A moment of silence passed as Garreth tried to feel for any damage. Had he broken anything? The tension was broken a moment later by the seventh-year's uncontrollable laughter. It seemed all that had been bruised was his ego. "I still have a lot to improve on, it seems." he giggled, brushing the dust off his pants as he stood.

Emmalyn blushed with embarrassment at his words. Obviously the Department of Mysteries was secretive. Good golly she could say the silliest things. “Well, I hope you find a job with them that has just the right amount of danger.” Yes, that sounded smart. He could work for them, yet stay alive. She would hate to think of her new friend in a job that was so risky.

“I’ll take you out to the quidditch pitch soon. It’s a bit too windy on the field today, and I am rather enjoying playing ball with you.” She really was having a great time and didn’t want it to end. “You can even borrow a school broom, if you don’t have your own.” She’d even help him pick out one that was in better condition. Some of the school brooms were ready to be put out to pasture.

Then she watched as her ball went screaming towards Garreth. Her eyes widened as she saw it him smack in the middle of his chest and his body go crashing to the ground. She was just about to call out to him when she noticed his shoulders shaking from...laughter?? “Are you alright?” she asked as she ran over to check on him. “I guess I need to work on my timing as well” she answered in return. Emmalyn reached out her hand in offer to help him up off the ground, but he was already back on his feet. “Are you sure you’re okay? I’m so sorry.” Her worry turned to a grin after seeing the look his face.

“Maybe we should take a short break.” She stood by the young man, looking up at him. She hadn’t realized how much taller he was from across the green space. “So, do you have any brothers or sisters?” she had meant to ask him before. It seemed like a lot of the other students had siblings that attended Hogwarts or were on their way in a few years.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement

"Don't worry, I'm not in any hurry to go and get myself killed. I'll probably just get a desk job anyway. Maybe they'll have me clean the toilets or something." Garreth smirked, electing to not tease her about the obviousness of the department of mysteries being secretive, sparing the girl any further blushing. "Although, the toilets in the department of mysteries might be pretty dangerous too."

Wow, she was making plans already. Well, alright. "I'll defer to your judgement on that. I have no idea how to even gauge whether it's too windy to play Quidditch. You'll have to teach me everything." he gave a nod and a shrug. "I'll definitely have to do that, yeah. I've never owned a broom of my own. Dad always said I didn't need it,
even back when I was little and actually wanted one!"
Garreth's dad had always been a bit harsh with him, especially when he ended up being sorted into Ravenclaw and not Gryffindor. But they got better these days.

Speaking of Garreth's dad being disappointed in him, he wouldn't have approved of such a disgraceful fall, but lucky for Garreth, father wasn't around. He was roughly 480 miles away in Grimsby with the rest of the Kenway gang. Speaking of which!

"An older brother and a younger sister." he answered Emmalyn's question, agreeing wholeheartedly with her suggestion that they take a break. "What about you?" He beamed down at the younger girl, equally surprised by her height as she had been by his.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office

Quote:
"Don't worry, I'm not in any hurry to go and get myself killed. I'll probably just get a desk job anyway. Maybe they'll have me clean the toilets or something." Garreth smirked, electing to not tease her about the obviousness of the department of mysteries being secretive, sparing the girl any further blushing. "Although, the toilets in the department of mysteries might be pretty dangerous too."

Wow, she was making plans already. Well, alright. "I'll defer to your judgement on that. I have no idea how to even gauge whether it's too windy to play Quidditch. You'll have to teach me everything." he gave a nod and a shrug. "I'll definitely have to do that, yeah. I've never owned a broom of my own. Dad always said I didn't need it,
even back when I was little and actually wanted one!"
Garreth's dad had always been a bit harsh with him, especially when he ended up being sorted into Ravenclaw and not Gryffindor. But they got better these days.

Speaking of Garreth's dad being disappointed in him, he wouldn't have approved of such a disgraceful fall, but lucky for Garreth, father wasn't around. He was roughly 480 miles away in Grimsby with the rest of the Kenway gang. Speaking of which!

"An older brother and a younger sister." he answered Emmalyn's question, agreeing wholeheartedly with her suggestion that they take a break. "What about you?" He beamed down at the younger girl, equally surprised by her height as she had been by his.

She was quite relieved to hear him say he was going to stay away from the dangerous stuff. Although, cleaning toilets did sound rather yucky. But yucky toilets weren't as likely to harm you as the mysterious stuff was.

"We will find the perfect day for flying." She said with a determined smile and nod. "What? You have never owned a broom?" That was simply mind boggling to her. Ever since her first moment on a broom she had wanted to have her very own. Her piggy bank was low on funds, but she was going to fix that as soon as she was able to get a job.

She rubbed her hands up and down her arms, generating a bit of heat against the cool breeze. "You want to sit against the wall to block out some of that cold breeze?" She gestured with her foot, as her hands were still rubbing her arms. She figured he would understand and started walking over to sit down. "So, and older brother and a younger sister. You are stuck in the middle." She put her hands in her robe pockets. "What does your brother do?" Before he could answer she added "Wait, a younger sister? Is she coming to Hogwarts?" That would be a treat! Emmalyn didn't have any siblings and she hoped to make more friends. If Garreth's sister was half as nice as he seemed to be, they could be great friends.