sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1146 users online including...

1 members
1145 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Floo Network (Extra Fun) > Honeydukes (FanFiction) > Honeydukes Register (Finished FanFiction) > Candy Display Case

Candy Display Case All our past fanfiction event winners can be found here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Default [2018 Days of Potter] The 12 Counter-Spells of Christmas

THE 12 COUNTER-SPELLS OF CHRISTMAS
12 counter-spells. 12 pieces of fanfiction. Will you help break the curse?
Just as Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is rumored to have five hidden vaults, housing priceless treasures and powerful magical artefacts, to too does SnitchSeeker. Just what lays hidden behind these layers and layers of magic? No one knows for certain, but here is an opportunity for you take up the mantle of a curse-breaker, flourish your wand and help break the curse to find out by participating in this fanfiction based Days of Potter event!

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
  • Choose any of the available counter-spells from the list below to write a piece of fanfiction for.
    • You must title your post with this counter-spell.
    • Each counter-spell may be used only ONCE. Site house elves will update the list as quickly as possible to cross out any that have already been submitted (if duplicates accidentally occur that's okay!), but make sure to check the thread yourself too!
  • Write your piece of fanfiction and post it in this thread all at once; no claiming a spell and coming back later so make sure you're prepared!
    • Beneath each counter-spell are 3 unique writing dares. These dares must be included in the piece of fanfiction writing submitted to this thread.
    • Pieces must be set in the wizarding world created by J.K. Rowling but may include both Harry Potter canon as well as SSRPG canon.
    • The length of what you submit is up to you but a minimum length of 100 words (the length of a drabble) is required to start.
    • All writing and its content must follow SnitchSeeker.com site rules and those outlined in the Honeydukes Fanfiction forum
  • All aspiring curse-breakers have until New Years Eve {December 31 @ 11:59 pm GMT} to submit.
    • Upon completion of all 12 counter-spells, all participants will receive early access to some 2018 Days of Potter exclusive rewards
Quote:
Alohomora
  • Someone must walk into something, or trip over something
  • Someone asks “Do you remember that one time we found that crop circle?
  • Someone gets caught picking their nose

Depulso
  • Must include something surprisingly heavy
  • Must have someone inadvertently rhyme, and then say "hey that rhymes!"
  • Someone must accidentally use their wand the wrong way around

Finite Incantatem
  • Someone must lose a hairpin
  • Someone must say "The Pineapple came to me in a dream last night"
  • Someone must use the counter-spell to terminate the effects of Locomotor Wibbly

Finite
  • Someone must get the lyrics to a Christmas carol wrong
  • Celebrate an unusual national holiday
  • Must have a broken torch/flashlight

Meteolojinx Recanto
  • Someone must use an umbrella for other than its intended purpose
  • Someone must say, "It's good to be evil."
  • Must include an unholy number of cupcakes

Nox
  • Someone must try really hard to stay awake on Christmas Eve
  • Must include something unexpectedly spicy
  • Someone must say something in a sing-song voice

Quietus
  • Must include a Beyonce lyric given as serious life advice
  • Someone gets the exact same gift three times from three different people
  • Someone knocks over a Christmas tree and then blames it on a pet

Rennervate
  • Someone can’t remember what their name is
  • Someone has to count every step they take for the whole day
  • It must feature milk gone bad

Reparifarge
  • Someone goes on a quest to extinguishing a never-ending Lantern
  • Must have a house elf dressed as a Reindeer present a strong cup of tea
  • Mentions of a missing chess piece

Surgito
  • Must include a llama
  • Someone must say, "He's dead! Oh, wait... nevermind."
  • Someone discovers a hidden talent

Vipera Evanesca
  • Someone is scared of following the butterflies
  • Someone says "My button just came off and flicked me on the nose!"
  • Someone is preparing to try out for a spot on a Wizard Rock band by singing a Christmas Carol

Vulnera Sanentur
  • Someone gets a nasty papercut
  • It must feature a knitted backpack
  • Someone finds a trail of slugs
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY WRITING!

Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

DMC & DMLE
Thestral

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Solana Selwyn
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Selene Diana Evans
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Leon S. Kennedy
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Cole Patrick Kennedy
Default Meteolojinx Recanto
Snow Miser | Munchy | Molly Hooper | T | Hey, you | Phantom | Mrs. Chris Evans | Brat Pack | Tristalen

Meteolojinx Recanto

-Someone must use an umbrella for other than its intended purpose
-Someone must say, "It's good to be evil."
-Must include an unholy number of cupcakes

An Afternoon with the Twins
A ficlet featuring Apollo Kennedy and Syah Harwell

“Duh duh duh, dum de dum de dum duh da..”

The sound of singing lured Apollo Kennedy from the kitchen, the nineteen year old was covered from head to toe in flour, there were even smudges of the white substance on his cheek.

He walked down the hall, leaving a trail of white footprints in his wake, he made a right into the living room, where he found his twin, Syah, dancing around an Umbrella, she was humming a tune from an old Muggle movie.

She flipped the umbrella up into her hand and spun around the room with it out in front of her.

“What in Merlin’s green left sock are you doing Sy?” Apollo asked as he leaned against the doorway.

“I’m singing, and dancing in the rainnnnn.” Came the sung reply as the blonde spun around the room with the black umbrella.

“It’s not raining.” He deadpanned. Seeing his twin dancing around the room was rather normal, after all she wasn’t going to WADA for nothing. And one day she had chased him around the house singing “The Phantom of the Opera” cape, dramatic music and all, so this was actually pretty tame for her.

The dancing stopped and Sy spun around to face her twin, one hand was on her hip as she looked at him and shook her head.

“Dad would kill me if I made it rain inside the house.” She said with a soft smirk. “Just like he’s going to kill you for getting flour everywhere.”

The boy kept his casual stance against the doorway, uncaring that he was smudging flour all over the doorway. “Well I can’t help it if baking isn’t my forte.” He said with a lazy shrug.

“Yes, well maybe you can help being a mess?” St said as she grabbed her wand from a nearby table and then flicked it at him, and after a quick scourify, the flour was gone from his person and from the doorway! “Do you need help?” She asked as she set her Umbrella down and moved closer to her twin. “Obviously I’m not getting the rest of my practicing done with you hanging around.” She teased him lightly.

“Yeah, I’m not going to frost all of these things by myself.” Apollo said as he turned and moved back down into the hall with a bit of an eye roll at her last words, dramatic twin was dramatic.

He heard a gasp as his sister came into the kitchen.

“They are everywhere.” Came an awed whisper.

It was true, cupcakes of almost every flavor you could imagine, were covering every single available surface in the kitchen, they were all over the counters, the tables, even some of the chairs had cupcakes scattered on them.

“Why do you need so many cupcakes?”

Apollo heard his sisters question and he sighed. “I said I would do the baking for a fundraiser at school, no one told me how many of these things I had to make. 500 is a bit much.”

“500? Dear Merlin..” Syah groaned. “Was there a girl involved?” She asked as she sank into a chair, which sadly had cupcakes on it.

Apollo winced as his sister shrieked and bolted upright, thankfully she was so focused on the cupcakes sticking to her pants he didn’t have to answer that last bit about a girl!

“Apollo Stefan Kennedy!” The words had barely left her mouth when something warm and soft hit him smack dab in the face.

“Mmph!” Was the only sound Apollo could make as he found himself with a mouth full of chocolate cupcake! “Not the chocolate ones, I actually did decent on those.” Crumbs flew everywhere as he spoke. “You are going to get it.” He managed to get out as he swallowed the warm cake.

He stuck his hand into a nearby bowl of bright green frosting and was about to throw it at her when he noticed another bowl of Frosting levitating towards his head!

“Oh don’t you even..” The lanky blonde couldn’t even get the last word out before he found himself with bright blue frosting pouring over his head! As the frosting dripped over his ear he heard the squeals of laughter from his sister.

“Artemis Syah Harwell!” Apollo sputtered as he wiped frosting out of his eyes and licked the sweet substance from his lips. “My hair is going to be blue!” He shrieked at her as the gooey liquid dripped down his cheek.

“I don’t know ‘Pollo, blue could be a good color on you! Impress all the girls with your punkiness?” Came the giggly reply

“You look so innocent and nice, sunshine, but you really are the evil twin!” He said as he lunged after her.

“It’s good to be evil.” Sy laughed and squealed as she ran out of the kitchen and towards the living room once more away from her angry, and blue frosting covered twin.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zoe
Dark Force Defense League

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Default Rennervate
Bathes in Maple Syrup | Dancing Lobster | Mrs. Charlie Weasley | Seneca's Beard | That's So Fetch

Christmas on the Closed Ward
A ficlet featuring Aisha Thomas

"Ainsley. Your name is Phineas Ainsley."

For what had to have been the seventh time already, Aisha Thomas was reminding the plump patient his name as she held onto his arm and led him down the hallway. Somehow Ainsley had again escaped and snuck down three floors to flirt with the receptionist, claiming that he was the Minister for Magic.

"Have you been hit with a Forgetfulness Charm, young lady? How can you not know the Minister for Magic when you see him? My face has been in all of the papers!"

A sigh quietly escaped her lips as she opened the door to the ward, deciding it wasn't worth correcting Phineas anymore. "Alright then, Minister, in you go. And please, for the love of Merlin, stay in here. You're making the Welcome Witch uncomfortable."

"Uncomfortable? What nonsense! The woman is just playing hard to get. Did you see the way she looked at me before we..."

The rest of Phineas' words were ignored as he stepped forward and hopped right back into bed. Aisha remained standing by the door after locking it, taking a moment to gather her wits before fully immersing herself back in the chaos that was the Janus Thickey Ward.

But, of course, her moment was interrupted by a brief bout of hysteria. Marjorie Fairbanks was laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, seemingly amused by something that wasn't actually there, as she fiddled with a bracelet her daughter had given her earlier that day.

At least someone is enjoying themselves, the practicum student thought as she made her way past bed after bed, patient after patient, and a slew of opened cardboard boxes and torn wrapping paper.

"Was he bothering Josephine again, Aisha?"

Her dark brown eyes locked with those of Rosemary McLaggen, who was trying to coerce Samuel Kelly to stop walking around the decorated pine tree in the middle of the room, slip under the comforter, and take some candy to help him sleep.

"... ten thousand, five hundred, sixty-seven. Ten thousand, five hundred, sixty-eight. Ten thousand, five hundred..."

"Yes, he went right back to her. I'm surprised he hasn't asked her to marry him at this point to be honest."

"I'm just surprised the old woman hasn't hexed him yet," responded Rosemary, nudging Samuel off his path around the tree and toward his bed finally with success.

"... ten thousand, five hundred, seventy-four..."

"What good it would do at this point though," Aisha responded, her tone somehow light-hearted even though her words rang true.

Rosemary let out a chuckle, though she quickly covered her mouth as if it was wrong of her to be amused by such a statement.

"... ten thousand, five hundred, seventy-five. Ten thousand, five hundred, seventy-six..."

"Mind helping me keep him from wandering? You know how he gets when it is time for b-e-d."

Without saying a word, Aisha quickened her pace to Samuel's bed and pulled back the covers. Then, with a flick of her wand, the required 'candy' and a glass came flying out of a cabinet from across the room.

"Oh, pour some of that milk for him instead of water. It was a gift from his nephew. I'm sure he'd like that with his candy tonight. Wouldn't you, Weston?"

"... ten thousand, five hundred, ninety-one..."

With another flick, the self-cooling jar of milk rose from the bedside table, the cap twisted off, and the white liquid poured into the levitating glass. The jar set itself down once the glass was full, and Aisha was standing next to the bed with a firm hand on Samuel's shoulder. The man was already incredibly anxious not being able to move around and count his steps.

"Here you go, darling," Rosemary said sweetly, grabbing the glass with one hand and handing over the red candy with the other. "Take these and drink up."

The man refused. More refusals and efforts to walk around were made for about a minute, but Aisha managed to keep him from fussing further and slipped the candy in his mouth. The glass of milk quickly followed, courtesy of Rosemary.

But the milk didn't go down. Instead it and the candy was spat right onto Rosemary's lime green robes.

"SAMUEL!" the woman cried.

Suddenly the scent of spoiled milk hit Aisha's nose as Rosemary ran to the cabinet to fetch herself a towel and Samuel shot out of bed, his counting starting right where he had left off as he headed for the tree.

Then a high-pitched cackle rang in her ears.

After spinning around, Aisha took in the sight of Majorie laughing up a storm once more, though her eyes weren't glued to some figment of her imagination up on the ceiling. This time the patient's arm was extended, a finger pointing at one of the beds that should not have been empty.

Her eyes then shifted over to the door, which was unlocked and cracked open. Phineas had escaped the ward yet again.

"Bloody hell."

Spending Christmas with her family rather than at the closed ward had never looked so good unil now.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

DERP & DIMC
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Harri Ainsworth
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Owen Montezor
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Beatrice Castell
Environmental Protection
x12
Default Nox
❄Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re❄| ⚕=equivalent exchange=⚕ | pinned ya!

Teddy Lupin's 25th Christmas
a ficlet

¤ Someone must try really hard to stay awake on Christmas Eve
¤ Must include something unexpectedly spicy
¤ Someone must say something in a sing-song voice

Teddy Lupin was twenty-five. It was Christmas eve and his wife, Victoire, was busy baking gingerbread cookies with their daughters to give out to the neighbors come Christmas morning, its smell carried over from the kitchen to where he was sprawled comfortably on the couch.

Life
___was
______good.

It was almost midnight but his girls showed no signs of succumbing to sleep unlike him who was now on his second mug of coffee, still yawning, eyelids drooping.

He was trying very hard to stay awake but it was proving to be a losing battle; doing some push-ups in the middle of the living room just made him more tired, jolly Christmas carols only lulled him like a lullaby. He was even contemplating using toothpicks to keep his eyes open.

But soon enough, the former Hufflepuff Head Boy yielded and allowed sleep to take over.

“Teddy? Teddy, luv, wakey wakey!” He frowned at the hands that gently shook his shoulders and the unfamiliar voice that came with it then slowly peeled his eyes open.

What

“What do you think? Do I look…Christmas-y?” The older woman – definitely not his wife – who had a realistic pair of antlers on top of her head and a red button nose asked with a bright grin. Who…? Teddy stared for all of two seconds before swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat.

He nodded. He wanted to smile at her too but he was afraid he would unnecessarily start weeping if he did because, well, this was all probably just a dream but his mother was there on Christmas and smiling at him and –

“Ah! Too spicy!” came another voice from somewhere just as his mother said, “Oh no. Let’s go see what your father came up with this time.”

Teddy got up and followed her to what presumably was the kitchen and felt his breath catch yet again for the second time in less than five minutes.

Standing next to his reindeer-shifted mother was Remus Lupin, hissing as he took the glass of water she offered him. It would have been all comical if it weren’t for the cascade of emotions that he was feeling at the moment. His parents, both of them, alive and…joking about something as trivial as an unexpectedly spicy dish.

Taking a steadying breath, Teddy gave them a watery smile. “Mum? Dad?”

“Yes, luv?” His mum.

“What is it, son?” His dad.

Teddy sighed and blinked the moisture from his eyes. “Merry Christmas.”

They were both on him in no time, Nymphadora Tonks hugging him tightly and singing “Merry Christmas dear Teddy, merry Christmas to you…” in the birthday song tune, Remus Lupin giving his hair a good ruffle as they shared a smile.

“Teddy? Teddy, love, wake up.” He knew this time that it was Victoire, he didn’t need to open his eyes, he didn’t want to…yet. Sensing this, she leaned over and gave him a soft peck on his cheek, whispering, “Merry Christmas, dear Teddy.”

It really was Christmas.

Last edited by Tazzie; 12-19-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Quietus

Quote:
  • Must include a Beyonce lyric given as serious life advice
  • Someone gets the exact same gift three times from three different people
  • Someone knocks over a Christmas tree and then blames it on a pet
This close to the winter break made Gryffindors extra tiresome. More like herding sleep-deprived jarveys and much less like dealing with actual human teenagers. Rose Weasley, Head Girl extraordinaire, had given herself the responsibility to patrol tonight, knowing that every other prefect in the castle was a hopeless case, and knowing that when no one else could bring themselves to follow the rules, she would still be following them. To the bitter end, if necessary.

And honestly, tonight, after turning a corner to find yet ANOTHER Gryffindor out of the dorm after curfew, Rose was feeling quite bitter indeed. Did they think she LIKED taking points? Did they think she enjoyed having to punish her housemates and ruin their chances of winning the House Cup? It was Christmas!

“Aw, honestly, Rose,” her housemate Dane was the latest miscreant, caught lugging a box of butterbeers up the stairs between the third and fourth floor. “I think you like taking points. I think you enjoy punishing us and ruining our chances of winning the House Cup. Don’t you know it’s Christmas?”

Boys were so exhausting. Especially Gryffindor ones.

“Just hurry and get those to the dorm room, and tell anyone you see along the way that I’m taking double points from now on.” Because this was ridiculous.

“Brilliant. Thanks.” Dane began to shove the crate again before pausing and pulling a bent sugar quill from his trouser pocket. It was unpleasantly sticky. “Happy Christmas. This makes me think of you.”

Rose watched him go before depositing the quill in the nearest bin. Just three more floors and she could head back to bed. Plus the kitchen and dungeon and she ought to check the front doors and… Merlin. What was the point of being the Head Girl if you still had to take the worst shifts? She continued down the stairs, her steps dragging.

A crash rose from the floor below, and Rose skidded down the last few steps and around the corner, only to discover that a suit of armor had taken out a Christmas tree, which had taken out the tree next to it, and so on, and so on, all the way down the corridor. It was a giant evergreen dominos game and it made her want to weep.

Standing amid the crushed bulbs and scattered candy canes was tiny third year Patch Callahan, who looked mildly befuddled and had tinsel in his hair. And hanging over his ears. And maybe up his nose, but that wasn’t worth investigating. He turned in a slow circle, taking in all the damage, and only looking mildly alarmed when he spotted Rose.

“I didn’t do it.” He’d obviously done it. He was the only one there. “I swear!”

“Okay…?”

Patch pointed to a tiny frog jumping out from beneath the suit of armor nearest the door. “HE did it!”

“Just clean it up, Callahan, and then go to bed.”

“Sure thing, Rose,” Patch shoved the nearest tree up against the wall, where it sagged unhappily. “Oh! Happy Christmas to you!” And he handed her a sugar quill.

Suppressing the urge to throttle the younger boy, Rose stomped back towards the stairs. She wouldn’t even bother with the dungeons or the kitchen. The Head Boy could manage those himself, and she desperately wanted to lock herself into her dormitory and smother herself with her own pillow. That sort of activity could take all night, so she’d best get started soon.

On the first floor, somehow, Rose ran into Dane again, this time with a giant basket full of chocolate croissants. Before she could even open her mouth to threaten him with undue harm, Dane grinned and fished another sugar quill out of his pocket.

“I DO NOT WANT YOUR SUGAR QUILLS, DANE PITNEY. WHY DO YOU KEEP GIVING ME SUGAR QUILLS?” Rose took off her shoe and pitched it at him. They were both lucky when it was snatched out of the air by the Slytherin Seeker and Head Boy. Scorpius Malfoy. In the flesh.

“She just tried to murder me, Malfoy. You saw it.” Dane lifted his basket in self defense, and only protested a little when Scorp stole a croissant.

“You know what a wise Muggle philosopher said? She said ‘Who run the world? Girls.’ I think we should bend to the inevitable.” Scorp handed Rose the croissant with a wink.

“That’s not even grammatically correct,” Rose scoffed, but she was mollified. That was the good thing about her Head Boy – he always managed to make things seem easier and more reasonable. Dane disappeared up the stairs with his basket, and Rose tore the croissant in half to share it with Scorp.

“Happy Christmas?”

He wrapped an arm around her waist and gave her a squeeze. “At least it isn’t a sugar quill, right?”

Thank Merlin for Slytherin boys.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest
Old 12-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Depulso
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

The Greatest Gift
a fanfic featuring Gaston and Desiree Marchand

* Must include something surprisingly heavy
* Must have someone inadvertently rhyme, and then say "hey that rhymes!"
* Someone must accidentally use their wand the wrong way around

Gaston's blue eyes snapped open at the sound of a shrill cry. Ugh, what was that noise? he thought, still half asleep. He sat up in bed, rubbed his eyes, and looked around the room groggily. It was still dark in the house, still dark outside. His eyes fell to a shadowy square shape at the other side of the room and he suddenly remembered Desiree… his newborn daughter, barely 2 days old.

Panic gripped his heart. Was she sick? Hurt? Scared? Wasting no more time, he quickly threw a dressing gown on over his pajamas, pocketed his wand, and sidled over to the tiny blue-eyed baby squirming in the crib across the room. “Poor baby,” he whispered as he picked her up, blankets and all. “Shh… it's okay, Daddy's here.”

He gently rocked her back and forth, murmuring soothing words to her in French as his sleep-deprived mind tried ro riddle out what was wrong. She didn't need a change, and the warming charm he'd placed on her blankets hadn't worn off. Maybe that was the problem… she was too hot. He tried unwrapping the blankets, but that only made her cry harder. He touched her forehead; it didn't feel like she had a fever. She must be hungry then.

Carefully shifting the fussy Desiree to one side, Gaston drew his wand and cast a nonverbal Lumos as he started down the stairs to the kitchen. The bright light from his wand illuminated the clock on the wall; it was half past six. He should probably go ahead and make some coffee. Rose and the rest of the family would be up soon, and even so, he needed caffeine to function this early! But first, somebody needed breakfast!

Gaston aimed his wand to summon a bottle from the fridge, but nothing happened. What the-? Why wasn't it working? He looked down and saw he had his wand pointed the wrong way around; he shook his head, chuckling to himself. Merlin's beard, if that wasn't a sign he needed sleep, he didn't know what was! Turning his wand around the right way, he summoned a bottle and cast a quick warming charm on it.

While Desiree suckled greedilly on her bottle, Gaston wandered into the living room. He saw the Christmas tree and the stockings hung on the mantel, one for each member of the family, all brimming with goodies. In his exhausted state, he had almost forgotten what day it was! “Look, Desiree! It's your very first Christmas Day,” he whispered, gesturing toward the brightly lit pine. Realizing what he just said, he laughed. “Hey, that rhymes!”

Oh, good Godric Gryffindor! I'm so tired, I'm speaking in rhyme, he thought. And he wasn't even trying to write a song!

Gaston lowered himself into a nearby armchair, taking extra care not to jostle the newborn in his arms as she finished her bottle. He half-expected Desiree to drift off to sleep once she was fed and happy - or at least he hoped she would. Maybe then he could get a bit more sleep! But she was wide-awake and wiggly. He needed something to calm her down, but what?

Bright blue eyes scanned the room and found the family photo album sitting on the coffee table. He picked the book up one-handed and nearly dropped it. That thing was a lot heavier than he remembered! His mother must've added to it… He carefully situated the book on his lap and opened it to a faded old photograph of a mother and father with three boys. “That's your grandfather when he was a little boy,” he said, pointing to the blond boy in the middle of the photo. “And there's Uncle Paul - he was so much fun!” He smiled as he pointed at the shorter, younger boy; his expression changed as he pointed out the tallest child. “And Uncle Alex… I don't think he ever liked me much.”

Then his eyes fell to the man and woman. “And these people are your great-grandparents. I never met them, but I'm sure they would've loved you!”

On the opposite page was a smiling little girl with dark hair, sitting beside a Christmas tree surrounded by toys as her parents looked on. “And there's your grandmother when she was little,” Gaston explained. “And her parents - they used to invite the whole family over for Christmas dinner. She-” He pointed to the woman. “-made the best cookies!” He could almost smell their sweet, buttery scent even now!

As Gaston talked, Desiree stopped wriggling and snuggled contentedly into his chest, calmed by the sound of his voice. Their twin pairs of blue eyes met as she stared intently at him, as if hanging on to his every word. He thumbed through the pages, pointing out more family members as he went, until he came to a photo of a blond man and dark-haired woman, grown-up versions of the two children in the other photographs. “There's your grandparents on their first Christmas together. See how happy they look!”

A couple of pages later, the young couple in the photographs were joined by a baby with big blue eyes and unruly black hair. “And that's me on my first Christmas. Can you believe I was once as tiny as you?”

Looking back through the photos of his childhood, Gaston was lost in the memories of Christmases past… of Christmas Eve dinners with family, staying awake to see Father Christmas, unwrapping toys on Christmas morning. But the ache of longing he thought he'd feel wasn't there. Instead he imagined several older versions of Desiree enjoying all the Christmas traditions he once did, but they would have plenty of time for that.

Gaston gazed at his now sleeping daughter, his eyes shining with adoration. He could hardly believe this was real! After all this time waiting and wishing for a little one of his own to love and nurture, he'd started to give up hope that it would ever happen. Now his lifelong dream of fatherhood had finally come true - and at Christmastime, no less! “Merry Christmas, my baby Desiree,” he whispered. She was his best Christmas gift ever!

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 12-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Swedish Short-Snout

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alex Black
First Year
SS Featured Writer Lovely Lady

Vulnera Sanentur
Someone gets a nasty papercut
It must feature a knitted backpack
Someone finds a trail of slugs

Cynthia Jackson had just been walking down the corridor to the Potions lab when she heard the loud cry of "Ouch!" from someone inside the boy's bathroom. It figured that there were no boys anywhere in sight, because she could tell that this person was in some serious pain and needed immediate attention. Great. With her luck she would get caught in there and become the scourge of the school. It was a terrible choice, but someone had to do it.

Steeling her spine, she rushed to the door and called out, "Is anyone in there with you?

"No," the boy called. "Help, I'm bleeding!"

This thing was getting uglier with every passing second. "Are you dressed?" she asked cautiously.

"Yes," she heard, then a coyote-like yelp followed by another plea for help. Cynthia gritted her teeth and grasped the door handle as she pushed it open, blinking her bluish-green eyes as she did so as if preparing for a terrifying sight. And of course, she was not disappointed.

The boy was around her age, give or take a year, and was bleeding profusely from a cut on his right arm. "What happened?" she asked.

"My owl Gimlet accidentally broke the window," the boy told her. "I got cut by a piece of glass." Just then she noticed the small, grayish owl circling the room. "I'm Van, by the way"

"Cynthia," she said. "Let me do the Vulnera Sanentur on that thing, as it looks like you've been hit by the Sectumsempra." She began to rummage in the magenta knitted backpack which she constantly carried with her, a precious handmade gift from her grandmother from when she had first started going to Hogwarts. After a few moments of digging she found what she had been looking for, a nice wad of soft fabric that she had thrown in there just in case. She now took this out of the bag and softly placed it over the wound, lightly securing it with another piece of fabric.

"Hey, you're really prepared!" Van told her.

"I try to be," Cynthia answered. In truth, this seemed far from the case to her. She often wandered off somewhere, and she had been late to class today because of her having followed a trail of what appeared to be some very wayward slugs. She had been imagining discovering some kind of amazing slug palace but had been unable to reach the end of the trail due to her realizing that she was getting later and later to class. Reality could a pain, but she would solve that mystery of the slugs some day! For a few seconds she pondered sharing her secret with Van, but she had just met him and he might think she was weird or something. Only time would tell. She had done her good deed of the day and that was good enough for now.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

The Newtons
Alohomora
✒Someone must walk into something, or trip over something
✒Someone asks “Do you remember that one time we found that crop circle?
✒Someone gets caught picking their nose

A Newton Gathering was always an event to remember. The fact that the clan, when together in full, was 37. Hanna always looked forward to seeing her family, but particularly her Great-Uncle Art, and the cousins she had around her age. Being the older sister was hard sometimes, and she liked being around people her own age. The problem was, there were many of the Newtons that were much older than she was, but also many that were young. Like, baby young. Luckily this year was being thrown at her grandparents home, Mara and Walter. The whole clan weren’t getting together in full this year, which meant they didn’t need to expand on the dining area. Not that her Farmor would have minded. She loved there being a lot of people around her table.

“Hanna, are you nearly ready? We need to be there in ten minutes!” her mother, Elyde, called up the stairs.
Baby Oliver was screaming in Elyde’s arms, as she tried to pat and rock her baby into some sort of calm. It was uselss, the young babe was colicy. She and Adrian had somehow evaded this with their four daughters. Was it just a baby boy thing? The experienced mother was struggling now, dealing with five children, and one of them only being a few weeks old. Perhaps her mother-in-law would be able to use her Grandmotherly touch to settle the boy.
Hanna ran down the stairs, “I’ll take him Mama! I’ll ta- WHOAAA!”

Plunk.

“Hanna!” Elyde exclaimed, jumping significantly enough to let loose a fresh bundle of wailing from the baby. “Adrian!”
Adrian came into the hallway, saw his wife trying to contain a screaming Olly, and Hanna on the ground trying to suppress tears. “What happened?” he asked, as he extended his arms and plucked Oliver out of Elyde’s arms. He propped the baby over his shoulder and commenced the routine of patting him on the back, his ears now used to the high-pitched scream.
“She tripped. Oh, darling, are you alright?” With her arms now baby-free, Elyde went to her oldest baby and soothed her hair back from her face.
Hanna nodded, a wince passing over her face as she slowly pulled herself up.
“Where does it hurt?”
“My knees.” Hanna bent them up to inspect them, but needn’t bother. The blood, seeping through her yellow tights, was visible.
“Dear… well let’s get you cleaned up.”
Elyde helped her up, and walked her upstairs to the bedroom where she used her wand to heal the grazes, and syphon away the blood stains.
With her tights and knees blemish free, Hanna was ready.

Oliver, however, had just succeeded in vomiting all down his father’s back. It was exactly a moment after when Elyde and Hanna walked down the stairs.
“Adrian! Oh, Adrian, you’ve got vomit all down your back.” Elyde took the baby, who was now quiet, and Adrian went up to change his top.
“Merlin’s beard, can’t we just get somewhere on time for once?” He muttered.
Walking down the corridor to the bedroom, the wet vomit seeping through the fabric and sticking to his back, he took a double-take. Mikaela, all of 8-years, was almost third-knuckle deep up her nose.
“Mikaela! Get that finger out of there.”
Mikaela ripped it out, her face burning with embarrassment.
“Your brain will cave in if you’re not careful.”
“Daddy, I was trying to find the popcorn.”
Adrian paused. “T-the what?”
“The popcorn, daddy.”
“What is popcorn doing up your nose?”
“I put it there.” So matter of factly.
Adrian shook his head. He wasn’t going to ask. The moisture was getting a bit cold and he needed to change. “Well get yourself downstairs, we’re going in a minute.”
He continued his journey down the corridor to the bedroom.

Mikaela hadn’t meant to lose the piece of popcorn up her nose. She’d just put it up there to see how far she could blow it out. But it just kept falling out, so she put it further up but then when she blew it wouldn’t come out and then when she tried to pull it out it kept getting in more and more until she couldn’t even reach it. There was a small fear that it would go into her brain and then she’d have a piece of popcorn in her brain forever. Would that make her not good enough for Hogwarts? Well, she needed to do something about it but she couldn’t pull it out with magic. Not yet anyway but she didn’t want to wait three WHOLE years to get a wand and learn a spell to get it out. Her father didn’t seem too worried, but she was starting to get more worried. She really couldn’t reach it anymore, and there wasn’t any finger left to push up. The only thing left to do was tell her mum.

Down the stairs she hopped, two feet at once. Bounce, bounce, bounce, all the way down.
“MUMMA!” she yelled, running towards her. “Can you get the popcorn from my nose?”
“What?” she asked.
Hanna even looked a bit puzzled, but she wouldn’t approve of Mikaela putting it up there anyway. She was too old to understand Mikaela’s experiments. Besides, she’d spent much of the holidays practicing her flying for Quidditch.
Mikaela frowned. Why couldn’t anyone hear her? “Can. You. Get. The. Popcorn. From. My. Nose?”
Elyde sighed, not bothering to ask, and pointed her wand towards Mikaela’s nasal entrance. With a spell that Mikaela had heard plenty of times, she felt the popcorn wiggle from somewhere deep in her head before shooting out like a sneeze. It was all slimy so Mikaela went to put it into the bin rather than eat it, taking care not to look at the disgust on her mother and sister’s faces.

That reminded Lena, who was ready to leave. She had been ready for almost half an hour, sitting patiently in the living room, reading her book. She was used to it by now, sitting quietly. Her parents were too busy with Oliver and her other younger siblings to notice her. Now that Hanna was at Hogwarts, Lena was the oldest of the kids. Yep, she was the one that had to stay out of trouble, out of the way, and out of sight. She didn’t want to add to her parent’s worries. So she mostly just stayed quiet, made sure Mikaela and Elsie behaved themselves, and tried to fix any of the things they had done. Unless it required magic, which she didn’t know yet. But she was ready to go to Hogwarts! She was lucky that she would have her entire schooling with her family. Poor Hanna had nobody, besides Gaston anyway. But he wasn’t there anymore, but it was okay for Hanna because she would be coming this year. And then when Hanna left, in four years, when Lena would be in her fourth year, with Mikaela. But Hanna didn’t seem to mind being there alone, which made Lena not worry so much about it.
As she was listening to the conversation, with Mikaela putting the popcorn up her nose, which Lena knew all about, she remembered the conversation she was having with her mum. Turning around, her knees on the couch so that she could face her mum, she said “Do you remember that one time we found that crop circle?”
“Lena, there you are! Are you ready to go?”
“Yes,” she said. She didn’t mention that she had been ready for ALMOST half an hour. And in that time, Mikaela had got popcorn stuck up her nose, Hanna had fallen and needed to be patched up, Oliver had vomited all over their father’s back, and he needed to change shirts. “But do you remember mum?”
“What honey?”
“When we found that crop circle!”
“Oh yes that was fun,” she said, but she was distracted with Oliver. Lena knew that, because it hadn’t been fun.
“But it wasn’t.”
Her mother stopped fussing with Oliver and looked up, finally paying attention to her. Even though she was now the second oldest of five, Lena felt like the middle child. Finally she passed Hanna the baby and came to sit down with her.
“Uuughhhh,” she let out as she flopped next to Lena, putting her arm around her.
“No, it wasn’t fun actually. Why did that remind you of the crop circles?”
Lena snuggled up next to her mother to make the most of the precious time she was giving up.
“Well they were corn crops, weren’t they?”
Her mother thought for a moment. “Yes, you’re right. They were. And there were spiders all through the cob you tried to open.”
Lena shuddered remembering the horrible sight.
“I don’t like corn anymore.”
“I know darling.”
“Do you think Farmor would make me eat it?”
Elyde laughed. “No, of course not! She will make you eat three servings, but you don’t have to have everything.”
Lena nodded, feeling more relaxed.

With a fresh shirt on, and the smell of baby vomit removed, he looked at the clock. They were late. Ten minutes so far. Adrian sighed. He hoped his parents understood why they were late. Kids were a lot of work, not that he minded. But it was much quicker when it was just the two of them. Feeling guilty at thinking such things, he checked the upstairs bedrooms to make sure none of his Newtons were in their rooms still. Hanna’s, Lena’s, and Mikaela’s bedrooms were all clear. Oliver was down with Elyde. But Elsie was in her room, curled up in a ball on the low bed. Her thumb was in her mouth, and her toy rabbit curled into her chest. The previous thoughts vanished as he looked down at his three-year-old girl. The last of his daughters. Now that they had five children, he was done. Elyde, he thought, was too. He carefully picked her up, holding her sleeping body, and walked down the stairs. Hanna and Mikaela were fighting over who got to hold the baby, Hanna thankfully holding him securely and not letting the eight-year-old take him, and Elyde was sitting on the lounge with Lena. They all seemed ready, at last.

EVASIVE | RESTLESS | MISUNDERSTOOD
always on the move
Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

DMAC & DERP
Pygmy Puff

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoenix Marchbanks
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Wiley Whittebrook
Hufflepuff
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Kendra Jordan-Durand
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Gunnar McCarthy-Toussaint
Ecological Protection

x12 x5
Unforgivably Cursed | adultescent

Charlie’s Eternal Flame
A ficlet featuring Charlie and Bill Weasley

Quote:
Reparifarge
  • Someone goes on a quest to extinguishing a never-ending Lantern
  • Must have a house elf dressed as a Reindeer present a strong cup of tea
  • Mentions of a missing chess piece
“I’ve tried every spell I could think of.”

Fourteen year old Charlie Weasley sat cross-legged in front of his older brother Bill with a glowing lantern placed between them. It had been an early Christmas present given to him by a secret admirer, according to the card that came with it, but there had been one glaring problem. No matter what Charlie did, he could not extinguish the light.

“My love for you is like an eternal flame,” Bill read from the card, mimicking a high-pitched voice and doing his best not to succumb to a fit of laughter. “No one can touch it, it can’t be blown out, and it will burn until the end of time.” He snorted before resuming his normal voice. “Someone’s got it bad for you, little brother. No wonder they signed it ‘secret admirer’.” Because who in their right mind would attach their name to that cheesy drivel?

“Never mind that,” Charlie said, waving a dismissive hand. He had more important things to worry about. “No matter what I do, the light won’t go out. I got kicked out of the dorm because no one could sleep with this blinding light.” And that’s when he went to seek his brother for some help, after he nearly burned down his dorm when the pillow he used to try to cover the lantern’s intense glow caught fire. Maybe it hadn’t been the best idea, but he had already tried a bunch of charms to no avail.

“Let’s go ask McGonagall.” Bill suddenly stood up and swiftly grabbed the lantern by its handle. If anyone had the answer, their Head of House probably would. Without another word, or to see if his brother was following, Bill crossed the common room and headed out through the portrait hole.

Even though it was well past curfew, Charlie had no issue with going to see McGonagall about his problem. He was desperate at this point and just wanted the light out so he could get some sleep. Hopefully they didn’t have to wake the professor up. He could only guess what kind of mood she’d be in if she was roused from her dreams.

Luckily that was not the case. As the boys neared the ajar door of Professor McGonagall’s office, they became aware of voices inside.

“I believe that’s checkmate.” It was the unmistakable smug drawl of Professor Snape, and the Weasley brothers exchanged a look before peeking through the crack of the door. The sight of McGonagall and Snape playing Wizarding Chess was certainly nothing that either of them expected, and neither boy could help himself from quietly watching a moment longer.

“........where is my queen? Severus. My queen was just here and now suddenly it’s somehow gone. You aren’t seriously cheating, are you?” The boys shared another look behind the slightly opened door as McGonagall berated Snape before deciding to move on. Maybe Flitwick would be awake at this hour.

Once the brothers arrived at the Charms professor’s office, Charlie mustered up his Gryffindor courage and swiftly rapped his knuckles against the door. The brisk 'come in!’ from inside was all the invitation they needed.

“Uh, excuse me, Professor,” Charlie began as he cracked open the door and poked his head inside. Flitwick barely looked up from the papers he was marking as he sat at his desk. Charms homework, the teenage Weasley would guess, and he wasn't all that happy with the students’ work by the looks of it. Or maybe he was just tired.

“Ah, Mr. Weasley… or should I say Misters Weasley,” Flitwick greeted the boys as Charlie stepped inside the office and Bill came in after him, still carrying the brightly lit lantern. “How may I….?”

But he wasn't able to finish that sentence before a loud POP was heard and a house elf appeared in Flitwick's office with a cup of tea. At least Charlie thought it was a house elf….what was it wearing??

“Oh, yes! There's the tea I was waiting for!” Flitwick visibly brightened as he reached for the cup from the costumed elf. “Mmm, I much prefer taking my wide eye potion with a nice, strong cup of tea. Need to stay alert to finish these grades.” He took a hearty sip from his cup before nodding to the elf. “That will be all, Loopy. Thank you.” The little house elf bowed deeply, the jingle bells around his neck jangling festively at the movement, and then with another POP he was gone.

Both boys stared with mild confusion at the spot where the house elf had been before turning back to Flitwick. “Why was that elf wearing antlers?” began Charlie, having forgotten about the lantern momentarily. “And a red nose?” added Bill.

“One of Santa's reindeers, I believe,” explained Flitwick with a chuckle. “I'm afraid I interrupted the annual house elf holiday party with my tea request. Rather festive costume, wouldn't you say?”

“Santa...as in Santa Claus? The dark wizard?” interrupted Bill, who was rather astounded that those seemingly innocent house elves would be into that sort of thing. Who knew they could have a nefarious side.

“Nonsense,” chuckled Flitwick again. “That's just an old hag's tale… now where was I?” He quickly dismissed the boys’ concerns as he drew his attention back to the papers he was grading. “Charles Weasley,” he said, pulling towards him the parchment with that very name scrawled along the top. “Would you like to have a chat about the T you earned on the last homework you turned in?”

“No, thanks, Professor.” As cheerful as ever, Charlie donned a boyish grin as he began to back out of the Charms office. “It’s late, we’d better get to bed. We’ll see you in class tomorrow!” Grabbing his brother’s arm, Charlie dragged him out of the office and quickly started down the corridor.

“What was that about?” Bill asked as he quickly kept in step with his younger brother. “A T? And we still didn’t get this lantern business sorted.”

“It’s… a long story. Never mind,” Charlie answered quickly, not wanting to get into that bit just now. “Let’s go see Dumbledore. He’ll understand how dire this situation is, and he won’t even get mad that we’re out past curfew because I’m with a prefect. And it's an emergency.” He flashed a winning smile. This would all work out just fine and then they could finally get some sleep.

Soon enough, they found themselves in front of the Headmaster, giving him just enough information about the lantern to be semi-useful. “I tried every spell I could think of,” explained Charlie. “Finite Incantatem, Nox, Surgito, Riddikulus…”

“Riddikulus?” Bill and Dumbledore asked in unison, both giving the boy a curious look. Charlie shrugged. He said he tried everything.

“Well, this is some powerful magic indeed.” Dumbledore peered over his half-moon glasses as he turned the lantern over in his hands. “But I believe I have just the trick for it.” He reached into the deep pockets of his robes, rummaged around a bit, and pulled out a small silver device - a deluminator, he called it. With a simple click of a button, the light of the lantern was drawn out and closed up into the device.

“Wow.” Both boys stared at that silver thing before the Headmaster stuffed it back in his pocket, and then Charlie grabbed the handle of the now-dark lantern. “Thanks, Professor. We should be on our way back to bed. After curfew and all.” Relieved to finally have that saga come to an end, and not have to explain any further about how the lantern came into his possession, Charlie started for the door, along with his brother.

“Oh, Mr. Weasley.” Dumbledore’s voice beckoning them back caused both boys to stop and turn around, mortified to see him looking over the card that had come with the lantern. Had it fallen out of Bill’s pocket?? “I believe this belongs to you.”

Charlie’s face grew as red as his hair as he quickly snatched the card from Dumbledore’s hand and mumbled his thanks before rushing out into the corridor and on his way back to Gryffindor tower. Good thing Dumbledore was so well-known for keeping secrets, or else it wouldn’t be long before all of Hogwarts knew about his eternal flame.

______________________don't you worry I'll be fine
_________________________________________________you were good for the plot line
Closed Thread