sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1247 users online including...
PhoenixRising , Holmesian Feline , Stevendalo , Svetlrmg , Miltonplame , Svetlkzt , AlbertFug , BrandonDar , Jacobzj

12 members
1235 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 50: September - December 2018

Term 50: September - December 2018 Term Fifty: Austere Academy (Sept 2096 - June 2097)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2018, 04:52 AM

Default Arithmancy Lesson two

The Arithmancy classroom was set up a bit differently. The left half of the room was set up as usual with rows of desks, perfectly lined up and equally spaced. The only change from what was usually seen was a single wooden box on each desk.

However, the right half of the room was set up with colorful floor pillows, low tables, and scattered stacks of clip boards. Plush blankets were piled every few stations on the right side and were available to any students wishing to be a bit more comfortable. Each cushion area had one wooden box for each student sitting on the ground.

Written in bold letters on the chalkboard:
Please enter quietly and choose a seat you feel best represents your personality. NOTE: Please do not touch the boxes.

Professor Davis could be found standing near his desk, leaning against the edge of the chalkboard. He watched, curious if his predictions would be proven true or false, as the students picked their side.

OOC: Welcome to Arithmancy lesson 2. Please come in and choose a side. Class will start in about 24 hours. Class has started

Welcome and first question: Why did you choose the side of the room?
Mini-activity: Calculating your Rational Thought Number
Second question: How can you use what you have learned?
Final Activity: Choose your partner.
So long, farewell: Class ending
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

DMLE & DMAC
Ramora

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kalie Carter-Hope Gellar
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Ronan Victor Carter
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Alfred Ludovic Devereaux
Accidents & Catastrophes
x7 x4
Dem Carters | even 🕊🕊 have pride | | Expecto PAWtronum 🐈 | U-NA-GI

Not only was the classroom slightly different, Archer's uniform was too. The sequined phoenix was back, but it was joined by matching colored blue boots. The combo clashed a bit with the Hufflepuff yellow, but who cared.

In a move that should've surprised no one, she chose to make her way over and stand by one of the floor pillows, completely ignoring where the board said to choose a seat that fits their personality. Though, could it really be called ignoring if that's where she would've ended up anyways? She didn't fit a desk dweller personality, no one could argue with that.

You are Salt!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

Hanna made her way to Arithmancy and walked into the room, and saw Professor Davis. She offered a very slight nod, one that perhaps wouldn't be noticed if any of the minions were in the class for some reason. Looking into the room, though, she paused. Soft cuddly cushioned area, or table and chairs? Well... would it be against the rules for her to pick the comfort? Or... would the table and chair actually be more comfortable? No, for certain the cushioned area. She wasn't really sure how to determine which area was closer to her personality. Was she a soft pillow or hard wooden surface?

She stood by the cushioned area, and remained there. Still and quiet.

EVASIVE | RESTLESS | MISUNDERSTOOD
always on the move
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alexa Christina Cambridge
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12
Yeah I broke that mirror, so what? ll NOT backward ll Official Gryfferin ll Lemon's favourite

While it didn't escape her notice that the classroom had a different set up in part, Jessa Cambridge was beyond caring. It had been a long term of rigidity, yelling, punishment, anxiety and by this point the Ravenclaw was done. Her mind had already left, off to better places than the castle had become. Only the physical her remained and it was barely there itself.

Not wanting to draw on further attention or reprimand, The Head Girl still attended classes. It was hard to resist the impulse to remain up in her lab until the end of term but she had to, and a little bit of her felt like it died each time.

The only good thing about the rules at this point was that she could walk into the room and not have to acknowledge the Professor present. No talking, standing by the spot she'd chosen, Jessa turned to the box, but she'd seen the note not to touch it. Whatever the man expected with choosing things that matched personalities didn't pan out as the young girl simply made a beeline for the first available spot.

She made no guesses about the day's lesson, she was simply waiting for it to be over.

______________________________I'm fired up and tired of the way that things are said.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

DERP & DMGS
Shrake

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jacoby Rivers
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Callista Rivers
Gryffindor
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nathaniel Flannagan
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Patrick Dooley
Ecological Protection
Stealthy Ninja Queen | Snake For Life | waddling baker | binge royalty ♚

Patrick walked into the classroom a bit taken a back by the choice of where to sit. He stood taking in the instructions. On the one hand he really wanted to sit on the pillows because comfortable and easier to sit on. But on the other hand he knew it would easier to take notes and participate in class from a desk. He knew there was some kind of point that was supposed to be made but in all honesty he was certain it didn’t matter anymore.

If he hadn’t been instructed not to touch a box he would have just moved it over toward the wall and leaned against the wall. Instead he moved near Hanna and Archer with the pillowed seats, standing next to it as to not get in trouble from the Professor. And lose points which he seemed to be doing fairly often.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1
connoisseur of comfort ❅ Crayola's Wibby Mrs Alex Turner ❅ Netflix and meow

He'd been late for Professor Davis once already this term and luckily the bloke had been pretty lenient. Max wasn't about to test the man though, so made sure to make it to class with plenty of time to spare.

The Slytherin made his way straight to one of the desks and stood behind the chair, waiting patiently to be told to be seated.

And while he waited, he noticed what was written on the blackboard.

Choose a seat which represented your personality?

Uhhhh. How did a seat represent someone's personality??? It was just a seat.

Anyways, he was perfectly happy where he was.

_____________Take part in our Higgledy Piggledy House Cup!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Formerly: Tegz
Dark Force Defense League

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
He'd been late for Professor Davis once already this term and luckily the bloke had been pretty lenient. Max wasn't about to test the man though, so made sure to make it to class with plenty of time to spare.

The Slytherin made his way straight to one of the desks and stood behind the chair, waiting patiently to be told to be seated.

And while he waited, he noticed what was written on the blackboard.

Choose a seat which represented your personality?

Uhhhh. How did a seat represent someone's personality??? It was just a seat.

Anyways, he was perfectly happy where he was.
Arithmancy was one of THOSE subjects for Bel, the kind where she always WANTED do do well but honestly most of it was beyond her, both ability wise and interest wise. She read the board with some puzzlement and then looked at the room.

... and then she picked the desks, possibly a surprising move to most people, whether they knew her well or not but it was an easy choice when Max was sitting at one already. She stood by the desk immediately at his left and grinned cheerfully.

It wasn't the seat that mattered for Bel, it was the company, so her choice was entirely dependent on who had come in already, but even then, if she thought about it, desks were a good plan since if she chose the other the risk of zoning out and falling asleep was preeeeeetty high.

love is like a letter wrote :: and life is like an envelope
be careful who you give it to :: they might not give it back to you
Old 11-12-2018, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

DMT & DMIC
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Stuart Kynaston
Ravenclaw
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Rome Keller Drechsler
Gryffindor
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tatiana Chernova
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Bennett Young
International Cooperation
Sardine VIP || Shark Attack! || D A R T E R || Captain Oblivious

Slate walked in to arithmancy grateful that this year was coming to an end. It had been long. And boring. And the only thing keeping him going was the fact that it was almost over.

THANKFULLY.

"Professor." he greeted, scanning the board quickly. He took in the classroom, an easy smile on his face. He headed straight to... one of the piles of blankets and took a seat next to them.

_____________________________________________I Was Enchanted To Meet You
Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

Nettie was always relieved when it was time for one of the classes taught by an actual professor, as opposed to one of the ones that had been replaced with a Ministry transplant. Even though she was rubbish at Arithmancy, she enjoyed the professor, and there was something nice about the math portion of it. Math was the same no matter what you did - there was always a right answer. Cut and dry. She enjoyed that.

So, naturally, she headed to the left of the room where the desks were set up. As much as she wanted to plop down on one of those comfy pillows, she knew deep down that she was one who liked organization and routine in her life. Therefore, she figured the desks were the best choice.

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Old 11-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

Foster watched quietly as each student entered the room and chose their side, some quickly and others hesitating. Ms. Calrissian, Ms. Newton, and Ms. Cambridge had been the first to arrive. They were quickly followed by Mr. Dooley, Mr. Carden, Ms. Macindoe, Mr. Ryker, and Ms. Gladin. He tried not to make any sort of reaction to their choices in hopes they would truely choose the side they wanted, not what they thought he wanted. When the clock struck the hour, he moved away from the chalkboard and towards the front row of the class.

“Welcome!”
He smiled brightly and glanced across the entire room. “Please be seated and make yourselves comfortable. Some of you may be wondering why the room is set up a bit differently today. I’ll be touching on that soon. But first, I would like each of you to tell me why you chose the side of the room you did and how you feel it may represent your personality, or at least part of your personality.” Foster took a step to his left, towards the cushioned seat side. “For example, if I were to choose a seat based solely on what I felt best represented my personality, I would choose the…” He paused a moment “cushioned side. That might not be the side you would think an Arithmancy professor would choose, and that’s okay. I actually feel quite trapped when there is too much order or too many rules.” He walked back towards his desk and leaned against the front. “So, who’s going to share first?”

OOC: Welcome, everyone!! The first question is fairly simple. Just have your charrie say why they picked the side they did and how they feel it goes along with their personality. All answers are welcome. Also, catching up is always welcome. Please feel free to jump in and play along as if your charrie has been there all along, unless you wish for IC consequences over being late. You will have about 24 hours before I'll post the first mini activity. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM, VM, or Skype me.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

Hanna didn't have to wait before she sat down on one of the floor pillows. It was rather comfortable, and she moved herself around on the cushioned surface until she found a nice comfortable spot. With that done, she pulled one of the blankets over her lap. Not that she was cold, but the girl never missed an opportunity for rugging up.

She heard, and let sink in, that Professor Davis had mentioned feeling trapped when there was too much order and rules. Well, how did he think they all felt? They were living under the cage that was Scrimgeour and his minions. Was he meaning the current situation at Hogwarts? Well, perhaps that was a question best left unanswered by the Professor.

Hanna thought about why she had chosen the side she had. Mostly she had chosen it because it was comfortable, but how did that relate to her personality? Hanna raised her hand and waited to be called upon. "Well I'm more comfortable here on the floor, and with cushions. I don't... like harshness. I'm not a rigid person. I'm mostly relaxed." Although this current period of her life certainly went against that. She certainly was not relaxed at Hogwarts at the current time. But usually she was.

always on the move
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

DMLE
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Persephone Smithfield
Gryffindor
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Lucille Pembrooke
Law Enforcement
x5
Oh, how we drift away from our friends. And the ones back home play remember when

Once she was allowed to, Daisy sat down on one of the floor cushions. She didn't bother with a blanket due to feeling quite comfortable already. At Professor Davis' question, Daisy slowly raised her hand and spoke when called upon.

"Whilst my personality has a tiny aspect of wanting to have some organisation, I feel like that is greatly outweighed by my desire for being creative and having flexibility. I don't like when I have to be someone I'm not due to too much rigidness around me."
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

Oh, helloooo. Maybe Arithmancy wouldn't be so bad after all.

He was a bit surprised that Bel had chosen the seat beside him rather than a comfy spot amongst the cushions and blankets. If they were placing bets on who'd take a cushion seat, he'd be a couple of sickles down because he would've bet on her for sure. Still, this was better.

He shot a little grin right back at her before taking a seat and turning his attention back to Professor Davis.

The whole seating arrangement versus personality thing still didn't make much sense to him though, and Max raised his hand. "Professor, I think it's more practicality rather than personality. How are you supposed to take notes and stuff from a spot on the floor?"

Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alexa Christina Cambridge
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12
Yeah I broke that mirror, so what? ll NOT backward ll Official Gryfferin ll Lemon's favourite

It wasn't until the man informed them they could sit and asked his question that Jessa took any real note of the way the classroom had been set up. Of course she noticed something wasn't right but it didn't occur to her there was a specific method to the madness. For the first time since she'd entered, the Ravenclaw gave a proper look around the room. She felt her brows crease in thought.

"I didn't pick based on personality, Professor. I just took the first available spot and forgot about it."

Not that it mattered, she wouldn't have wanted to sit on a cushion even if she HAD been paying attention. It was like Maxton said, practicality. She'd be more comfortable right here taking her notes than down on the floor.

______________________________I'm fired up and tired of the way that things are said.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Potterdom Mod
Book Club Mod

DMAC & DoM
Giant

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Moritz Schultz (#0f667e)
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nancy Schultz (#ac6f77)
Hufflepuff
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Jabari Rahal (#c54031)
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Calloway Bennigan (#b8b323)
Accidents & Catastrophes
x11 x1
curly haired prefect - "sometimes I get angry!" - 30/90 - *chicken emoji* - probably @ Disney - I speak dog

So apparently people had NOT taken this seating thing very seriously and had just kind of...sat down somewhere. Nettie frowned. This was one of the few classes still taught by someone with an ounce of humanity, and they repaid him by not taking it seriously? BOOO to them. She raised her hand when it came turn for her to speak and share her reasoning.

"Well, I'm a very organized person who likes consistency," she explained. "So I figured the desk was the best choice. It's familiar, and most practical, which is what I usually gravitate to," she elaborated. Yup.

Lookin' like a true survivor_________________________________feelin' like a little kid
Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12
lives in a hobbit hole || Ern and Touz's Nuzzle || roflysst || looking at a seed packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
Foster watched quietly as each student entered the room and chose their side, some quickly and others hesitating. Ms. Calrissian, Ms. Newton, and Ms. Cambridge had been the first to arrive. They were quickly followed by Mr. Dooley, Mr. Carden, Ms. Macindoe, Mr. Ryker, and Ms. Gladin. He tried not to make any sort of reaction to their choices in hopes they would truely choose the side they wanted, not what they thought he wanted. When the clock struck the hour, he moved away from the chalkboard and towards the front row of the class.

“Welcome!”
He smiled brightly and glanced across the entire room. “Please be seated and make yourselves comfortable. Some of you may be wondering why the room is set up a bit differently today. I’ll be touching on that soon. But first, I would like each of you to tell me why you chose the side of the room you did and how you feel it may represent your personality, or at least part of your personality.” Foster took a step to his left, towards the cushioned seat side. “For example, if I were to choose a seat based solely on what I felt best represented my personality, I would choose the…” He paused a moment “cushioned side. That might not be the side you would think an Arithmancy professor would choose, and that’s okay. I actually feel quite trapped when there is too much order or too many rules.” He walked back towards his desk and leaned against the front. “So, who’s going to share first?”

OOC: Welcome, everyone!! The first question is fairly simple. Just have your charrie say why they picked the side they did and how they feel it goes along with their personality. All answers are welcome. Also, catching up is always welcome. Please feel free to jump in and play along as if your charrie has been there all along, unless you wish for IC consequences over being late. You will have about 24 hours before I'll post the first mini activity. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM, VM, or Skype me.

Bel shot a grin at Max and sat herself down then started unpacking her things as the professor began the lesson. She hadn't considered the whole personality thing at all and now Bel was looking around at who was where and listening to all their reasons.

She put her hand up.

"Sorry professor, I didn't really choose based on the seats, I just sat with the first one of my friends I saw when I walked in." So if Max had been elsewhere, or if it had been any other one of her mates, whether she was pashing them on the reg or not, Bel would have taken the who into consideration before the where.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

DMT & DMGS
Antipodean Opaleye

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Maggie Woods
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Levi Jourdan
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Hwang Minji
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Finlay Bracken
Transportation
x4 x2
PHILOMATH ❅ not one atom, but two ♪ ♪ made of starstuff ❅ def main():

Sylvie, sat directly behind Bel and Maxton, took a moment to think about that question. Yeah, true, the instructions had been to sit at the place that best represented her personality, but nothing about this class represented her personality in the slightest. She was only here to listen, pick up some stuff and definitely not take the end of year exam.

Following certain articles published in the Daily Prophet, and in a weird attempt to impress someone in her life who did not need any impressing, Sylvie was trying to do better with school. Even better than she'd already been doing since the start of the year, which wasn't too shabby compared to the years before.

But how did any of this help the seat selection? Honestly, she'd just wanted to sit behind Maxton and Bel, she liked them. Uhmmmmm..

"... The vibe over here felt good when I walked in.... and I'm all about a good vibe? Um. Yes." There we go, that's kinda right.

_____________I could still change the end

Last edited by Daemon; 11-12-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: my reading comprehension needs work
Old 11-13-2018, 02:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

DMT & DMIC
Mackled Malaclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Stuart Kynaston
Ravenclaw
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Rome Keller Drechsler
Gryffindor
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tatiana Chernova
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Bennett Young
International Cooperation
Sardine VIP || Shark Attack! || D A R T E R || Captain Oblivious

Slate looked around. Wow. Some people were taking this a little... seriously. Were they supposed to be that serious?

He stuck his hand half up. "It's comfortable over here." And comfortable is a good option.

They weren't going to have to switch, were they? In some sort of weird seeing things from another perspective exercise? Because he'd be disappointed if he had to move.

_____________________________________________I Was Enchanted To Meet You
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

MO & DMAC

Crumple-Horned Snorkack

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Giselle Barrington
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sable Ileana Armstrong
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Skye Tamerlane
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Jemma McCrae
Minister's Office
x5 x3
Shoe!Girl │ Rebel Ravie │ Confundus Queen │ RP Addict

As far as one Gryffindor prefect was considered, Hogwarts was nothing like it ought to be and as she still hadn’t quite figured out how to fix it beyond what she’d already done, Stasya had been on edge ever since the holidays were over and she’d gone back to school. The events of the term had turned her whole thought processes, her favorite classes, on their head, and therefore she’d had second thoughts about other subjects. Especially when she was fairly certain, however nerve-wracking it was since she was a prefect and therefore supposed to report any rebellion, certain professors were on their side. As evidenced by the fact at least half of the Arithmancy classroom was the opposite of regimented, and as such, she’d found herself raising her hand from the comfort of a pile of cushions after she’d sank into it when permitted.

“Honestly, I chose a seat over here because there aren’t a lot of places I feel comfortable anymore. I don’t know if that has anything to do with my personality,” she answered, feeling like she sounded a lot more confident than she felt in her answer. Or maybe it was because, like a lot of the others, she hadn’t really thought about her choice in seat before they’d been asked.

...It must be exhausting, always rooting for the anti-hero
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

SPOILER!!: replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiqua View Post
Hanna didn't have to wait before she sat down on one of the floor pillows. It was rather comfortable, and she moved herself around on the cushioned surface until she found a nice comfortable spot. With that done, she pulled one of the blankets over her lap. Not that she was cold, but the girl never missed an opportunity for rugging up.

She heard, and let sink in, that Professor Davis had mentioned feeling trapped when there was too much order and rules. Well, how did he think they all felt? They were living under the cage that was Scrimgeour and his minions. Was he meaning the current situation at Hogwarts? Well, perhaps that was a question best left unanswered by the Professor.

Hanna thought about why she had chosen the side she had. Mostly she had chosen it because it was comfortable, but how did that relate to her personality? Hanna raised her hand and waited to be called upon. "Well I'm more comfortable here on the floor, and with cushions. I don't... like harshness. I'm not a rigid person. I'm mostly relaxed." Although this current period of her life certainly went against that. She certainly was not relaxed at Hogwarts at the current time. But usually she was.
Foster nodded as she spoke. “Those are good things to know about yourself, Ms. Newton. Being in an environment where you are most comfortable can greatly reduce stress and increase success.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Once she was allowed to, Daisy sat down on one of the floor cushions. She didn't bother with a blanket due to feeling quite comfortable already. At Professor Davis' question, Daisy slowly raised her hand and spoke when called upon.

"Whilst my personality has a tiny aspect of wanting to have some organisation, I feel like that is greatly outweighed by my desire for being creative and having flexibility. I don't like when I have to be someone I'm not due to too much rigidness around me."
After Ms. Newton finished, he motioned to Ms. Swann. His heart ached as she spoke of rigidness around her. The term had been nothing but rigid and he wondered how much more the Hufflepuff Prefect would be thriving in a more student lead environment. “Excellent self observation, Ms. Swann.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
Oh, helloooo. Maybe Arithmancy wouldn't be so bad after all.

He was a bit surprised that Bel had chosen the seat beside him rather than a comfy spot amongst the cushions and blankets. If they were placing bets on who'd take a cushion seat, he'd be a couple of sickles down because he would've bet on her for sure. Still, this was better.

He shot a little grin right back at her before taking a seat and turning his attention back to Professor Davis.

The whole seating arrangement versus personality thing still didn't make much sense to him though, and Max raised his hand. "Professor, I think it's more practicality rather than personality. How are you supposed to take notes and stuff from a spot on the floor?"
“Fair point, Mr. Carden. A desk does provide a more adequate writing surface. However, I do challenge you to consider preferring practicality over comfort as part of a personality trait.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
It wasn't until the man informed them they could sit and asked his question that Jessa took any real note of the way the classroom had been set up. Of course she noticed something wasn't right but it didn't occur to her there was a specific method to the madness. For the first time since she'd entered, the Ravenclaw gave a proper look around the room. She felt her brows crease in thought.

"I didn't pick based on personality, Professor. I just took the first available spot and forgot about it."

Not that it mattered, she wouldn't have wanted to sit on a cushion even if she HAD been paying attention. It was like Maxton said, practicality. She'd be more comfortable right here taking her notes than down on the floor.
Fosters eyes fell on the seventh year to call upon her. “That’s alright, Ms. Cambridge. I do appreciate your honesty. Maybe as the class continues, you can take a moment to consider where you would have chosen based on your personality.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
So apparently people had NOT taken this seating thing very seriously and had just kind of...sat down somewhere. Nettie frowned. This was one of the few classes still taught by someone with an ounce of humanity, and they repaid him by not taking it seriously? BOOO to them. She raised her hand when it came turn for her to speak and share her reasoning.

"Well, I'm a very organized person who likes consistency," she explained. "So I figured the desk was the best choice. It's familiar, and most practical, which is what I usually gravitate to," she elaborated. Yup.
“Those are excellent descriptors, Ms. Gladin. Consistency, familiar, and practical. Keep those words in mind as we do our next task.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post

Bel shot a grin at Max and sat herself down then started unpacking her things as the professor began the lesson. She hadn't considered the whole personality thing at all and now Bel was looking around at who was where and listening to all their reasons.

She put her hand up.

"Sorry professor, I didn't really choose based on the seats, I just sat with the first one of my friends I saw when I walked in." So if Max had been elsewhere, or if it had been any other one of her mates, whether she was pashing them on the reg or not, Bel would have taken the who into consideration before the where.
He called on Ms. Macindoe. “No apologies, Ms. Macindoe. You did let your personality choose your seat. It was just in a different way than others.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Sylvie, sat directly behind Bel and Maxton, took a moment to think about that question. Yeah, true, the instructions had been to sit at the place that best represented her personality, but nothing about this class represented her personality in the slightest. She was only here to listen, pick up some stuff and definitely not take the end of year exam.

Following certain articles published in the Daily Prophet, and in a weird attempt to impress someone in her life who did not need any impressing, Sylvie was trying to do better with school. Even better than she'd already been doing since the start of the year, which wasn't too shabby compared to the years before.

But how did any of this help the seat selection? Honestly, she'd just wanted to sit behind Maxton and Bel, she liked them. Uhmmmmm..

"... The vibe over here felt good when I walked in.... and I'm all about a good vibe? Um. Yes." There we go, that's kinda right.
Another excellent answer. “A vibe, or a feeling, can certainly help us make decisions, Ms. Norcott.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFox06 View Post
Slate looked around. Wow. Some people were taking this a little... seriously. Were they supposed to be that serious?

He stuck his hand half up. "It's comfortable over here." And comfortable is a good option.

They weren't going to have to switch, were they? In some sort of weird seeing things from another perspective exercise? Because he'd be disappointed if he had to move.
Seeing the half raised hand of Mr. Ryker, Foster nodded in his direction. “Comfortable is good. I urge you to try and consider what it is about where you are sitting that makes it comfortable for you. As you have heard from a few of your classmates, they would not consider your selection to be comfortable for class.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
As far as one Gryffindor prefect was considered, Hogwarts was nothing like it ought to be and as she still hadn’t quite figured out how to fix it beyond what she’d already done, Stasya had been on edge ever since the holidays were over and she’d gone back to school. The events of the term had turned her whole thought processes, her favorite classes, on their head, and therefore she’d had second thoughts about other subjects. Especially when she was fairly certain, however nerve-wracking it was since she was a prefect and therefore supposed to report any rebellion, certain professors were on their side. As evidenced by the fact at least half of the Arithmancy classroom was the opposite of regimented, and as such, she’d found herself raising her hand from the comfort of a pile of cushions after she’d sank into it when permitted.

“Honestly, I chose a seat over here because there aren’t a lot of places I feel comfortable anymore. I don’t know if that has anything to do with my personality,” she answered, feeling like she sounded a lot more confident than she felt in her answer. Or maybe it was because, like a lot of the others, she hadn’t really thought about her choice in seat before they’d been asked.
Once again, his heart sank. Her words were not what any student should be saying. However, it was not the time nor the place for him to comment about the current leadership. He wanted them all to feel comfortable and at ease in their learning environment. “I’m glad you felt free to choose the best seat for you today. Maybe as the class goes on, you might be able to pick out a few more reasons you felt drawn to the right side of the room.”

“Excellent answers all around. Thank you for sharing with me how you came to your decision.” He hoped they all felt at ease with where they were sitting. “For my right siders, now would be a good time to grab a clipboard or find another firm surface to take a few notes.” Foster gave them a moment to grab what they needed before he continued. “Today we are going to be looking into your Rational Thought Number. What it says about your pattern of thinking. Are you practical thinker, or a dreamer? Do you stick to a set of rules, or do you like to think outside the box? These are all great things to know about yourself and can help you know how you may react to and tackle challenges in life.”

He gave a little flick of his wand towards the chalkboard. “Here is our number chart for reference. Now, to calculate your Rational Thought Number, you need to take the sum of your full first name, the name given at birth, and add it to your day of birth. For example” He flicked his want one more time and the calculations for his name appeared on the chalkboard below the chart.

“Foster would be 6+6+1+2+5+9= 29 ...... 2+9=11 ...... 1+1=2. I was born on the 7th of April, so I would take the 2 from my name and add it to the 7 from my day of birth. 2+7=9 That gives me a 9 for my Rational Thought Number.”

He walked back towards the class. “Now, I would like all of you to calculate your Rational thought number and read over what your number says about you. Please show your work on your parchment and make a note at the bottom if you agree or disagree with what your number says about you and why. You will find the descriptions in Chapter 13 of your textbook.”

OOC: Our mini- activity is to calculate the rational thought number and write if you either agree or disagree with what it says. Catch up posts are always welcome and please let me know if you have any questions. You will have about 72 hours to complete the mini activity before we move on.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #21 (permalink)

DMLE
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Persephone Smithfield
Gryffindor
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Lucille Pembrooke
Law Enforcement
x5
Default Mini Activity
Oh, how we drift away from our friends. And the ones back home play remember when

Daisy quickly grabbed a clipboard along with her textbook, parchment and quill. She began to calculate her Rational Thought Number and consulted her textbook before completing her findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithmancy Textbook - Rational Thought Number
SIX (6): You are a listener, and you tend to relate everything to the effect it has on others.

You notice things that escape others, but when you try to find solutions, you often focus on details, forgetting the larger picture. Justice is a major factor in your thinking, many people in the legal field have this number. When it comes to approaching a project or a problem that requires insight into the hearts and minds of children, very old people, or anyone who is disadvantaged in body or spirit, you have few equals. You are a natural defender of those who can not defend themselves. Depending on the core-numbers of your chart, you may want to consider a career in the legal field, or in the areas of teaching and healing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Swann - Hufflepuff Fifth Year
Daisy = 4+1+9+1+7=22
2+2 = 4
I was born on 20 July =2+0=2
4+2=6

I strongly believe that what the textbook has to say is very accurate. I do tend to be the one that likes to be there for others especially those who are on hard times. I think I look at both the smaller details and larger picture. I believe in equality and fair justice for those who deserve it but I would not like to be working in a legal career. I find that sort of career too "harsh". The idea of being a Healer appeals to me. I think my calm and caring nature would suffice in that job field.
Once Daisy had done her summary, she rubbed her forehead in frustrated hope because she found it hard to say what was on her mind without rambling but she didn't want to say too little.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

MO & DMAC

Crumple-Horned Snorkack

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Giselle Barrington
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sable Ileana Armstrong
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Skye Tamerlane
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Jemma McCrae
Minister's Office
x5 x3
Shoe!Girl │ Rebel Ravie │ Confundus Queen │ RP Addict

Had she been anywhere other than class, let alone in a public area of the school where it was possible she’d be overheard by the wrong people, aka the headmaster or one of his minions, Professor Davis’ reaction to her answer would have made Stasya explain a bit more. Namely, her unhappiness over the situation with the barns and being effectively prevented from seeing her pets on a regular basis like she used to be able to do. Although, she imagined she could ask Derf if he’d check on Dobby and Albus if he wasn’t already trying to during his private sessions. It wasn’t the same, though, so she was taking comfort where she could. Besides, she wasn’t entirely certain about the newer professors yet anyhow, unlike she was when it came to Professor Marchand, who had kind of taken over Professor Hirsch’s position as her preferred listener.

Instead of going for a clipboard or anything else, however, she simply pulled her Arithmancy textbook out and used it to support her notes as she wrote down what they were discussing. Rational thought numbers seemed oddly appropriate. Sort of. Even before she tried to figure out her own, which was interesting given the fact she rarely used her full first name. It made things a bit more complicated than it would have if she could use her nickname.

SPOILER!!: her notes
Anastasiya
1+5+1+1+2+1+1+9+7+1=29
2+9=11
1+1=2
October 10
1+0=1
2+1=3
THREE (3): You are creative, but your thoughts tend to be scattered. You jump around inside your head without much focus. You come up with solutions that reveal an illogical approach, yet they often work. As it applies to you, rational thinking is a contradiction in terminus. You project, interpret, and analyze your projects and problems in a manner that often leaves others flabbergasted. However, you are unbeatable when it comes to shining new and original light on issues; often coming up with unique answers.

Now she just had to think about her own thoughts, which were actually pretty scattered between prefect stuff, wondering if they’d ever get free of the reign of terror, OWLs and Animagus training. Not to mention personal stuff…

SPOILER!!: conclusion
I’ve never actually thought I was scattered. Or really creative, unless coming up with ways to accomplish what I want counts, but maybe there’s actually more creativity there than I thought? I do try to come up with answers nobody else does, anyway, so maybe this is more accurate than I’d have thought before now.

...It must be exhausting, always rooting for the anti-hero
Old 11-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

DERP & DMT
Demiguise

Hogwarts RPG Name:
???
Ravenclaw

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Ronnie Thurkell
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Stella Jarsdel
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Calyx Morgan-Bott
Ecological Protection

x12 x12

That feeling when you KNEW something unpleasant and tedious was coming but you also sort of hoped REALLY HARD that it would be something fun and nice this time and then sure enough: MATHS? Yeah, Bel had that feeling. She sort of smiled weakly at the professor though. Honestly she hadn't thought about the whole... choosing where a friend was thing being related to her personality but she supposed it did. Too bad the rest of the lesson wasn't shaping up to be so simple.... though she was going to try her best. She looked back over her shoulder at Sylvie and gave the Gryffindor girl a somewhat weak smile. Arithmancy. amirite?

Bel flipped to chapter thirteen, smoothed it out and bent down to read it, brow furrowed as she followed her finger across the page. All the letters of her first name plus her day of birth. There was another thing about arithmancy that threw her, really. Her first name. She went by Bel but... well.

Wincing slightly Bel started writing down the numbers she needed.

Quote:
B E L I N D A
2 5 3 9 5 4 1

December 3rd

(2 + 5 + 3 + 9 + 5 + 4 + 1) + 3 =
(2 + 9) + 3 =
(1+1) +3 =
2 + 3 = 5
5? 5. Bel flipped to the bit with the five and read it to herself.

Quote:
FIVE (5): You have a flexible and adaptable mind. You are quick with solutions, and you can think on your feet. You have the cunning of a fox. You can talk yourself out of the tightest situations, but your priority is often winning the contest, not being right. You love to reinvent the wheel. You have no fear of trying an approach that seems far-fetched to others. Your adaptability is unique and you often manage to turn a difficult situation around to make it work in your favor.
Aaaand... she frowned. Was that true? All this self-reflection business was kind of beyond her, and she wasn't even sure if she got the maths right. Ummm.... so..... for the next part of the task... yeah. She was drawing blanks. WAS that her? WAS it? She shot a little look towards Max. Maybe he'd have some insight. Were they allowed to discuss?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection
x9

Now that it was time to get to work, Hanna was starting to see how Professor Foster had entwined the seating arrangements with his subject of Arithmancy. She got a clipboard and edged closer to the low table in front of her. She clipped a piece of parchment to the clipboard, and set up her self-inking quill and textbook.

The first part of the equation was one she knew almost by hear by now. Her name.
Quote:
HANNA - 8+1+5+5+1 = 20. 2+0 = 2. Birthday February 20. 2+20 = 22. 2+2=4.
Looking now at her textbook, she read the summary for her Rational Thought Number and wrote it down below her numbers.

SPOILER!!: Textbook
FOUR (4): You are the practical, methodical thinker. You think things through step by step, and you are almost always well-prepared when others question your reasoning. You may be a little rigid in your approach and you tend to be uncomfortable with new, unproven ideas. You avoid risks, in favor of established procedures. You have no desire to reinvent the wheel. Others tend to trust your judgments and value your participation, in particular because you often function as the proverbial rock in rough waters. You are a stabilizing voice when involved in team projects, especially when chaos tends to take over.

TWENTY-TWO (22/4): A combination of vision and system gives your Rational Thought number the most potential for success. You can switch quickly from the larger picture to any minute detail that requires your attention at that time. You dream big, and you have the capacity to lay a foundation for your dream that gives clear directions for each step, each little detail, that needs to be take care of. A 22 Rational Thought number can only result from the 11 of the name and the 11 or 29 Birth Day. This reveals a strong intuitive side in you. Premonitions and an intuitive assessment of future effects are strong aspects that can be used and strengthened.

Adding her note to the bottom, she wrote;

Quote:
I believe that number 4 is not a true representation of me. I don't think methodically, or work through things step-by-step. I'm not rigid at all, and I love new and unproven ideas, letting my creative side and imagination build it up. I'm not a huge risk taker, though I do like to try new things.

I find myself identifying with number 22, even though the numbers aren't the same as the textbook says.

always on the move
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Occamy

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cora Dredworth
Sixth Year

x1

SPOILER!!: Bel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post
That feeling when you KNEW something unpleasant and tedious was coming but you also sort of hoped REALLY HARD that it would be something fun and nice this time and then sure enough: MATHS? Yeah, Bel had that feeling. She sort of smiled weakly at the professor though. Honestly she hadn't thought about the whole... choosing where a friend was thing being related to her personality but she supposed it did. Too bad the rest of the lesson wasn't shaping up to be so simple.... though she was going to try her best. She looked back over her shoulder at Sylvie and gave the Gryffindor girl a somewhat weak smile. Arithmancy. amirite?

Bel flipped to chapter thirteen, smoothed it out and bent down to read it, brow furrowed as she followed her finger across the page. All the letters of her first name plus her day of birth. There was another thing about arithmancy that threw her, really. Her first name. She went by Bel but... well.

Wincing slightly Bel started writing down the numbers she needed.

5? 5. Bel flipped to the bit with the five and read it to herself.

Aaaand... she frowned. Was that true? All this self-reflection business was kind of beyond her, and she wasn't even sure if she got the maths right. Ummm.... so..... for the next part of the task... yeah. She was drawing blanks. WAS that her? WAS it? She shot a little look towards Max. Maybe he'd have some insight. Were they allowed to discuss?

Maybe preferring practicality over comfort could be considered a personality trait, he hadn't thought of it like that. Max nodded at Professor Davis' words and then flicked through his Arithmancy textbook to read a bit more about this so called Rational Thought Number. So this number was supposed to reveal that he was more of a desk sitter rather than a cushion sitter? We'll see about that.
Quote:
M A X T
4 + 1 + 6 + 2
Before he could finish his calculations, however, he found himself peeking over at Bel's. Or actually, scratch that.... Belinda's. Huh. Max adjusted his glasses and scooched his chair a tad closer to get a better look at her work.

"I mean, the quick thinking thing definitely sounds about right," he suggested encouragingly after seeing the first line. Hopefully, she wouldn't mind his input. "You surf and race motorbikes and a bunch of other crazy stuff that needs you to think on your feet if you don't wanna end up breaking all your bones."