FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Hogwarts RPG

Students: 9872
Classes: 15
Professors: 12

View Points

Members

There are 1009 users online including...
iminlydib , Eldaricv , Chelliephone , LindaErali , Mystogan , Kimothy , astrocat

8 members
1001 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 49: May - August 2018

Term 49: May - August 2018 Term Forty-Nine: A Hoard of Trouble (Sept 2095 - June 2096)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 AM

Default Headmistress' Office

Past a series of lined up armoured suits, whose helmets move as if they were following you, a large stone gargoyle awaits. Intricate etches can be seen on this guardian that keeps unwanted visitors from getting past it. No matter how persuasive or good of a sweet talker you may be, the stoic gargoyle will only reveal a spiral staircase that leads up to the headmistress' office if the password is said. Unless you're one of the few that know the correct phrase to say, you will have to practice patience by sitting on the cushioned chairs placed on either side of the entrance.

Once inside the office, you will quickly realize that everything has been placed with purpose. Curtains have been evenly drawn apart to bring in the natural lighting without there being too much light, and scattered about are lavender candles that never seem to lower no matter how long the wick burns. Books of all kinds fill several bookcases, their titles covering topics from hexes and curses to ancient runes and history. A number of interesting-looking artefacts (ranging from a claw that once belonged to a sphinx, cracked bright red ashwinder eggs, a fossilized skeleton of a White River Monster, and various gems and coins) rest in glass curio cabinets, free of any dust and heavily protected. On a shelf closest to her desk rests a polished gramophone, which is known to play vinyl records of Stevie Nicks, among others, from time to time.

In the centre of the room stands a grand desk and and two visitor chairs. On the desk itself are various frames containing pictures that capture the headmistress' fondest memories: her wearing a Head Prefect badge on the grounds of Ilvermorny, her and several others having just made a great historical find deep within an Egyptian tomb, her holding a newborn clad in a pink blanket with a man's body cropped off, and several more. The remainder of the desk consists of neat piles of paperwork and an intricate golden hourglass, covered in runes, that will begin steadily dropping sand the moment conversation begins, signifying how much time you have left in the office.

OOC: Please post waiting outside of the gargoyle unless your character knows the password or is being accompanied inside by Headmistress Hawthorne or a professor.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alexa Christina Cambridge
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12
Yeah I broke that mirror, so what? ll NOT backward ll Official Gryfferin ll Lemon's favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
She had remained in the Ancient Runes classroom a little longer than usual, to let those who needed a few extra minutes to finish the in-class assignment she had assigned. Once they were all out, she had exited the office with the assignments obediently trailing after her.

But she didn't immediately take the narrow staircase that would take her right outside of her office. Instead she took the long way down, just to make sure no one was up to anything mischievous, pick up a potion from Penelope (which was hidden away in her pocket), and make sure Myrtle didn't flood the bathroom again. Eventually, though, the clicking of her heels echoed down the corridor.

"Hello, Miss Cambridge," the woman stated to the sixth year, the Ancient Runes assignments still following her and the gargoyle stepping aside without a word. "I hope you haven't been waiting here too long. After you."
"Time's relative, I think." She replied simply, taking the invitation and beginning up the stone stairs. "Five minutes could fly by real fast for someone dreading your approach, and five minutes can seem like an eternity for someones who's anxious and ready to be done with it all." Which was she? Neither, she supposed. Had she been waiting long? She didn't think she had but didn't suppose it mattered despite the woman's words of courtesy--that's what they were, a courtesy. The Ravenclaw doubted very much the woman would lose sleep over having had her waiting for an extended period of time.

Up in the office, she waited for the Headmistress to enter behind her but remained standing at the door as she always did.

"I don't suppose there's any point beating around the bush." No, the longer she stood by indulging in idle chat was the more restless she would grow. That wouldn't do her any good.

"I'm under-stimulated and have been for the longest time--it might be my fault for finishing all my syllabuses ahead of my actual classes but there's nothing I can do about that now--except ask for a challenge. See, I know I can't be skipping classes so I was wondering if I could have some...more advanced ones too. Ones I can actually look forward to and not zone out through or bring other things to class to keep myself occupied." Yes, it was bad form admitting to such a thing as a Prefect but it was important, so she'd know the extent of her inattention.

______________________________I'm fired up and tired of the way that things are said.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zoe
Dark Force Defense League

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Bathes in Maple Syrup | Dancing Lobster | Mrs. Charlie Weasley | Seneca's Beard | That's So Fetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
"Time's relative, I think." She replied simply, taking the invitation and beginning up the stone stairs. "Five minutes could fly by real fast for someone dreading your approach, and five minutes can seem like an eternity for someones who's anxious and ready to be done with it all." Which was she? Neither, she supposed. Had she been waiting long? She didn't think she had but didn't suppose it mattered despite the woman's words of courtesy--that's what they were, a courtesy. The Ravenclaw doubted very much the woman would lose sleep over having had her waiting for an extended period of time.

Up in the office, she waited for the Headmistress to enter behind her but remained standing at the door as she always did.

"I don't suppose there's any point beating around the bush." No, the longer she stood by indulging in idle chat was the more restless she would grow. That wouldn't do her any good.

"I'm under-stimulated and have been for the longest time--it might be my fault for finishing all my syllabuses ahead of my actual classes but there's nothing I can do about that now--except ask for a challenge. See, I know I can't be skipping classes so I was wondering if I could have some...more advanced ones too. Ones I can actually look forward to and not zone out through or bring other things to class to keep myself occupied." Yes, it was bad form admitting to such a thing as a Prefect but it was important, so she'd know the extent of her inattention.
Regina didn't have a response to the Ravenclaw's comment about time being relative. If anything, she agreed with her. Mind you, she did genuinely hope that the girl hadn't been waiting too long. Time was precious.

Up the stairs they went and, seeing that the Prefect had stepped aside, the headmistress moved beside her and opened the door to her office. She stepped through the doorway, and they were diving right into a purposeful conversation (which she always appreciated about Jessa).

Not a word was said as she took her seat at the desk. She was listening of course, not that she was at all surprised by anything the sixth year had said. When it was her turn to speak, the headmistress replied, "I am sure your professors are able to differentiate their lessons for you, to make them more of a challenge." They were all more than capable. But there also were options for private lessons as well. "What sort of advances classes are you thinking? What field are you interested in pursuing once you graduate?" It would help narrow down the scope.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12
Yeah I broke that mirror, so what? ll NOT backward ll Official Gryfferin ll Lemon's favourite

Quote:
Regina didn't have a response to the Ravenclaw's comment about time being relative. If anything, she agreed with her. Mind you, she did genuinely hope that the girl hadn't been waiting too long. Time was precious.

Up the stairs they went and, seeing that the Prefect had stepped aside, the headmistress moved beside her and opened the door to her office. She stepped through the doorway, and they were diving right into a purposeful conversation (which she always appreciated about Jessa).

Not a word was said as she took her seat at the desk. She was listening of course, not that she was at all surprised by anything the sixth year had said. When it was her turn to speak, the headmistress replied, "I am sure your professors are able to differentiate their lessons for you, to make them more of a challenge." They were all more than capable. But there also were options for private lessons as well. "What sort of advances classes are you thinking? What field are you interested in pursuing once you graduate?" It would help narrow down the scope.
The woman’s response was confirmation enough that she would need to be more specific. Jessa nodded slowly, leaning against the wall by the door she’d ensured to keep open. Of course she’d never disagree with the Headmistress on the competence of her staff—she didn’t tend to disagree in general, regardless of her own beliefs—but in this case it had nothing to do with them.

“I....it’s not that.....I’ve completed the Hogwarts syllabus. Right up to the NEWT level.” That might have been a more appropriate place to start. “I finished it during the past summer, so the materials they cover in class....it’s all basically revision for me. They could pick any topic they’d like, increase the difficulty level too but I’ve already covered it—and they can’t very well go too advanced as most of my classmates are still learning things for the first time. It would be unfair to them to speed things up on my account.” So she’d been suffering in inattentive silence all term but the thought of doing it all again for another year was enough to drive her wild.

Jessa shrugged lightly. It was a question that everyone thought she had an answer for because of how seriously they assumed she took her studies and all the hard work she actually put into her academic interests but in truth....she didn’t entirely know.

“Advanced spell work would be especially helpful. Charms and Transfiguration.” She thought aloud. “Defense too—and runes to aid with creating more complicated wards for my experiments. Potions—but Professor Noble.............” Yeah..... ”I guess you could say my general interest might be.....necromancy....but I don’t suppose there’s a university course for that or any Professors here,” Save Professor Hirsch, “who’d be willing to indulge that interest. I don’t mind.” She didn’t need the unnecessary opinions on how she could be using her intelligence for more wholesome experiments that didn’t involve “dark magic”. “Just gaining practical and more advanced levels of these areas should be enough to help me along.”

______________________________I'm fired up and tired of the way that things are said.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zoe

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8
Bathes in Maple Syrup | Dancing Lobster | Mrs. Charlie Weasley | Seneca's Beard | That's So Fetch

Quote:
The woman’s response was confirmation enough that she would need to be more specific. Jessa nodded slowly, leaning against the wall by the door she’d ensured to keep open. Of course she’d never disagree with the Headmistress on the competence of her staff—she didn’t tend to disagree in general, regardless of her own beliefs—but in this case it had nothing to do with them.

“I....it’s not that.....I’ve completed the Hogwarts syllabus. Right up to the NEWT level.” That might have been a more appropriate place to start. “I finished it during the past summer, so the materials they cover in class....it’s all basically revision for me. They could pick any topic they’d like, increase the difficulty level too but I’ve already covered it—and they can’t very well go too advanced as most of my classmates are still learning things for the first time. It would be unfair to them to speed things up on my account.” So she’d been suffering in inattentive silence all term but the thought of doing it all again for another year was enough to drive her wild.

Jessa shrugged lightly. It was a question that everyone thought she had an answer for because of how seriously they assumed she took her studies and all the hard work she actually put into her academic interests but in truth....she didn’t entirely know.

“Advanced spell work would be especially helpful. Charms and Transfiguration.” She thought aloud. “Defense too—and runes to aid with creating more complicated wards for my experiments. Potions—but Professor Noble.............” Yeah..... ”I guess you could say my general interest might be.....necromancy....but I don’t suppose there’s a university course for that or any Professors here,” Save Professor Hirsch, “who’d be willing to indulge that interest. I don’t mind.” She didn’t need the unnecessary opinions on how she could be using her intelligence for more wholesome experiments that didn’t involve “dark magic”. “Just gaining practical and more advanced levels of these areas should be enough to help me along.”
The headmistress went back to remaining quiet again while Jessa spoke. She honestly half-listened when it was stated that the Ravenclaw had finished the Hogwarts curriculum on her own accord already. Regina had heard her the first time, and she wasn't exactly keen on the girl self-teaching herself everything that was packed into those syllabi. There were professors at the school for a multitude of reasons.

"I understand, Miss Cambridge. And I trust that you have done well in teaching yourself," the woman responded. "However, revision never hurt anyone. In fact, it might be beneficial to learn the things you taught yourself over again and also get insight about those topics from another person. To ensure that you truly have mastered the content."

She didn't hesitate to continue after hearing the girl's interests. "The last years at Hogwarts are very much focused on more advanced spells and topics." There was a reason why some class sizes decreased after OWLs were taken. "Now of course, not everything there is to know is covered -- that is what higher education is for. But I am sure your professors would be very willing to provide private lessons to push you forward if you ask."

As for the bit about Necromancy, there was along pause from her before she spoke again. "I'm afraid not, considering Necromancy, " in the 'raising the dead' sense, "is a Dark Art. The closest one can get to learning about that at Hogwarts is when learning about Inferi, mummies, and zombies in Defence Against the Dark Arts or in select books that are locked in the Restricted Section."

Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #30 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12

”See, that was the idea when I’d first decided to speed ahead with the syllabi. I figured, learn them all and every class will be revision—which would, and did, significantly reduce the amount of time I had to dedicate to actual studying in order to receive the same results.” The classes cemented all she’d already known but that didn’t change the fact that it had all become as repetitive as the studying she was trying to avoid. “And I’m aware the classes get more advanced.” That was the point of progressing through school after all. “I only meant that....I’d like some additional avenues of study, to keep me occupied until I graduate.”

In truth, it didn’t even have to be particularly advanced, just something not actually covered on the syllabus that she could beginning learning. Her mind was a terrible thing when left idle too long and with her latest experiment settling in nicely, she was in search of something more.

She nodded at the suggestion. “I think I will. My request may hold more clout if it’s got your backing. At the very least it’ll prevent the usual “I’ll check in with the Headmistress for her approval then get back to you, Miss Cambridge.” Sometimes it just made sense to go straight to the head.

Again, she nodded, already expecting that answer. “I know.” Boy did she know. “So I’m not expecting any wild debates on who gets to teach it to me. That’s why I’ll settle for just more advanced stuff, so I can apply them myself.”

Old 07-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Zoe

DMAC & DMLE
Runespoor

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Logan Paton
Gryffindor
Seventh Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Gillyweed Beery
Slytherin
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tallulah Gamp
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Franklin Paton
Law Enforcement

x8 x8

Quote:
”See, that was the idea when I’d first decided to speed ahead with the syllabi. I figured, learn them all and every class will be revision—which would, and did, significantly reduce the amount of time I had to dedicate to actual studying in order to receive the same results.” The classes cemented all she’d already known but that didn’t change the fact that it had all become as repetitive as the studying she was trying to avoid. “And I’m aware the classes get more advanced.” That was the point of progressing through school after all. “I only meant that....I’d like some additional avenues of study, to keep me occupied until I graduate.”

In truth, it didn’t even have to be particularly advanced, just something not actually covered on the syllabus that she could beginning learning. Her mind was a terrible thing when left idle too long and with her latest experiment settling in nicely, she was in search of something more.

She nodded at the suggestion. “I think I will. My request may hold more clout if it’s got your backing. At the very least it’ll prevent the usual “I’ll check in with the Headmistress for her approval then get back to you, Miss Cambridge.” Sometimes it just made sense to go straight to the head.

Again, she nodded, already expecting that answer. “I know.” Boy did she know. “So I’m not expecting any wild debates on who gets to teach it to me. That’s why I’ll settle for just more advanced stuff, so I can apply them myself.”
Good. So they were both on the same page, at least when it come to, in this case, classes providing her with a source of revision and confirming everything that Jessa had taught herself. Regina was quite confident that the rest of the staff could still cover the same topic but personalise the lesson tasks or assignments, or at least allow the Prefect to explore creative ways to demonstrate her learning and knowledge about the topics they were covering.

"You definitely have my support with studying topics that aren't in the traditional Hogwarts curriculum," the headmistress stated. She was always in support of students learning outside of the traditional classroom setting and topic of study. Well, most of them anyway. There were some exceptions. "And I am positive that your professors will be as well. I recommend having specific things in mind that you are interested in ready before having that conversation with those you would like to have push you along in those areas."

There was a brief pause before a disclaimer was given, which she was sure the Ravenclaw was expecting. "But, of course, they do have the right to say no if they feel the topic isn't appropriate or they aren't comfortable covering it with you."

Old 07-29-2018, 03:06 AM   #32 (permalink)

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12

Quote:
Good. So they were both on the same page, at least when it come to, in this case, classes providing her with a source of revision and confirming everything that Jessa had taught herself. Regina was quite confident that the rest of the staff could still cover the same topic but personalise the lesson tasks or assignments, or at least allow the Prefect to explore creative ways to demonstrate her learning and knowledge about the topics they were covering.

"You definitely have my support with studying topics that aren't in the traditional Hogwarts curriculum," the headmistress stated. She was always in support of students learning outside of the traditional classroom setting and topic of study. Well, most of them anyway. There were some exceptions. "And I am positive that your professors will be as well. I recommend having specific things in mind that you are interested in ready before having that conversation with those you would like to have push you along in those areas."

There was a brief pause before a disclaimer was given, which she was sure the Ravenclaw was expecting. "But, of course, they do have the right to say no if they feel the topic isn't appropriate or they aren't comfortable covering it with you."
Jessa nodded along as the Headmistress gave what she assumed would be her final thoughts on the matter. Additional studies could be attained as she had her blessing and she would need to have specifics in mind when it came the time to make her requests. Seemed simple enough. Even the disclaimer at the end came as no surprise to the Ravenclaw. For as lenient as the woman had thus far proven to be when it came to knowledge acquisition, there were always little things to keep in mind.

In this case, it was the right of the Professors to refuse. Of course, she knew this too. Some already had.

"Alright." She began, choosing her words with great care. "Then I'd like to begin with you." She drew for her most serious expression as she very much wanted to be taken seriously in that moment.

"I've progressed to the next phase of my study and would like to add a bit of extra awareness to my dolls as a means of pseudo autonomy to keep them at a level competitive with the felines. I'm aware there are specific wards--runes themselves that can bring about such results. I'd also like a bit of help with extra security for the lab." Thus far, several wards were in place but someone so well studied in the subject would surely be able to help her up the ante.