sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!

Members

There are 1091 users online including...
Andrewvh , Svetlmnv , Kimothy , natethegreat

6 members
1085 guests.

Members in Chat:

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > SnitchSeeker RPG Archives > Hogwarts Archive > Headmistress: Regina Hawthorne's Reign > Term 48: January - April 2018

Term 48: January - April 2018 Term Forty-Eight: Flight of the Hawk (Sept 2094 - June 2095)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 AM

Default Library

A maze of thousands upon thousands of books, the library is heaven to any book-lover. Upon entering the high-ceilinged room, the smell of books, both ancient and new, hits you. There are many tall, narrow shelves neatly lined up, each divided into different sections -- charms, potions, Muggles, fiction, and so on. If you find a book you're interested in, simply make use of the sliding ladder or summon the book with Accio to retrieve it.

But the library just isn't a labyrinth of books. In the heart of the library and on the outskirts of it are tables and seating areas designated for quiet research and reading, some with accompanying fireplaces or large stained glass windows. Tucked away in the very back of the library is the Restricted Section, which requires permission to enter because of the more mature titles that are tightly locked and chained within (students sixth year and older may browse this section without being accompanied after asking for the key). At the entrance stands the front desk where the school librarian can usually be found, who will happily recommend a book, check out a book for you, and help you with any of your library needs.

OOC: Please do not play for librarian Kalen Kennedy.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #51 (permalink)

DoM
Veela

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nerissa M. Tate
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Brighton H. Brown
Mysteries

x8
Wowza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
It was his birthday! And normally Gunnar would be very happy for that occurrence, but today left him feeling somewhat conflicted. Sure, it was his special day and he was twelve now, but it was the first one he had ever spent without his family. And that left a sad sort of feeling nagging at the back of his head.

But that didn't mean the day stopped for him and he still had to go to classes and do homework. In fact, he needed to go to the library for a certain book to complete his DADA essay and so he grabbed some of the sweets that his parents sent and headed there to find it. He wasn't sure if he was just going to try to work on it there or just get the book and go back to the common room just yet. But when he spotted one of his housemates sitting by the fireplace, he momentarily forgot about his book and headed over.

"Hi, Nerissa," he smiled as he leaned against the arm of an empty chair near her. "What are you up to?" He might be procrastinating his homework just now, but who knew really.
"Writing a letter home." The answer was automatic and she did not look up, immediately. The voice was familiar enough for her to know it was Gunnar, and saw no reason to stop mid-sentence to greet her fellow Slytherin. Nerissa did not mind silences, especially when she was in the middle of something that was, presumably, very important. "What I mean is, hello Gunnar."

She scratched the last line, her brow furrowing to show her dissatisfaction. Then she looked up, abruptly, remembering something she thought she'd seen and heard earlier in the day. "It's your birthday today, isn't it?" He didn't look like he was in the mood for celebrations, which she was beginning to understand was perhaps a shared sentiment among first years. Al hadn't been too keen during his either.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
Chizpurfle

x9
Default Anyone want to come play?
Stuck inside with Sirius | *Splish-Splash* | bamBAM | ☁ Spooktacular ☁

Ah, the library. Somehow it'd had both changed and was reassuringly familiar from his school days. He took in the slight musty scent in the air, before heading between the shelves.

Honestly, it was unlikely Kalen's collection of books could rival his own potions collection downstairs, but that wasn't necessarily what he was here for. He needed some new bedtime reading material. For the first time in what seemed like a while, he hadn't received a single book for Christmas. This was a travesty indeed, since he had received a nice bottle of aged Ogden's Finest, which was as good a reading companion as any in the cold winter months. Well, except for his crup...but Ray was disappointingly at his ex-wife's, and not here.

He glanced along the shelves, feeling uninspired. Hmm.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Grabs Noble + anybody else who wants to play
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermygirl View Post
Ah, the library. Somehow it'd had both changed and was reassuringly familiar from his school days. He took in the slight musty scent in the air, before heading between the shelves.

Honestly, it was unlikely Kalen's collection of books could rival his own potions collection downstairs, but that wasn't necessarily what he was here for. He needed some new bedtime reading material. For the first time in what seemed like a while, he hadn't received a single book for Christmas. This was a travesty indeed, since he had received a nice bottle of aged Ogden's Finest, which was as good a reading companion as any in the cold winter months. Well, except for his crup...but Ray was disappointingly at his ex-wife's, and not here.

He glanced along the shelves, feeling uninspired. Hmm.
Normally Gaston could spend hours in the library, but today he was practically falling asleep standing up. He just wanted to find the books he came for and retreat back to his office - or more accurately, his coffee bar. Being a professor by day and a father by night demanded that he be caffeinated almost constantly, and he could already feel the last cup of coffee he had wearing off.

Instead of his usual romance novels, today his arms were full of books about parenting and child development. Hopefully there was some information in one of these books that would help him! He turned a corner on his way to the check out desk and saw someone looking at the books. Noble...

The thought crossed Gaston's mind to turn the other direction without a word. Granted they hadn't had much interaction so far, but the other man always struck him as cold and unfeeling. Still, he decided to take the high road and try to be friendly. "Hello, Ignatius," he greeted, nodding politely.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
Chizpurfle

x9

Noble worked his way steadily along the shelf, his gaze skimming over the spines. A low grumble escaped his throat as he failed to hide his disappointment; many of the titles he'd already read, and several others failed to excite him in any meaningful way. He moved his gaze down to the second shelf, finally selecting a blue leather-bound volume and turning it over in his hands.

He didn't have chance to take a closer look at the blurb though, as the Charms Professor drew his attention away from the pages. "Good day, Gaston," he greeted. A hint of a smile curled on his lips as he saw the reading material in the man's arms. "I don't think I've yet had chance to congratulate you properly," he said. They didn't seem to cross paths much nowadays. Hardly surprising, with the new arrival. "How are they both doing?"
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #55 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermygirl View Post
Noble worked his way steadily along the shelf, his gaze skimming over the spines. A low grumble escaped his throat as he failed to hide his disappointment; many of the titles he'd already read, and several others failed to excite him in any meaningful way. He moved his gaze down to the second shelf, finally selecting a blue leather-bound volume and turning it over in his hands.

He didn't have chance to take a closer look at the blurb though, as the Charms Professor drew his attention away from the pages. "Good day, Gaston," he greeted. A hint of a smile curled on his lips as he saw the reading material in the man's arms. "I don't think I've yet had chance to congratulate you properly," he said. They didn't seem to cross paths much nowadays. Hardly surprising, with the new arrival. "How are they both doing?"
Blink, blink. Was Gaston seeing things? He thought he saw a smile (or at least a hint of one) on Ignatius's face and returned it with a small smile of his own. "Thank you," he replied. Then the subject turned to his wife and daughter, and his expression darkened slightly. "They're doing quite well physically, but emotionally..." He mentally shook himself to clear the image of his baby daughter crying for him from his mind. "It's hard for them." He'd almost said "hard for us" but caught himself just in time. "Desiree doesn't like being without me, and I worry about Rose having to do everything herself."

Hence his tired appearance. Every moment he wasn't needed at Hogwarts was spent with his new little family, so things like eating and sleeping had to take a backseat to his duties as a husband and father.

Gaston suddenly realized he was rambling. "Sorry," he apologized. After all, the other man only asked how his wife and daughter were doing, not for his whole life's story! "Must be the lack of sleep talking..." So he was probably making a fool of himself right now... A change of subject would be nice. His blue eyes fell to the books on the shelf. "So, find anything interesting?" he asked.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Chizpurfle

x9

"Not just them, I'm sure..." Noble mused. He recognised the look in the man's eyes; he'd been there once...although Abigail hadn't been a babe at the time, nor was she his biological daughter. He doted on her like she was though, and the long hours of experiments at the lab had often been hard. "Did you have a picture?" He didn't really care for newborns, if he was honest, but knew it was thing he was socially contracted to do.

At Gaston's apology, Noble waved his hand. "Not at all." The man had penty of enough reason. As for anything interesting? "Not sure. Maybe..." He held up the spine so Gaston could see. A book on the ecology of micro-organisms. "Something a little different, at least. How about you, find what you were looking for?" Honestly, he was a little surprised that Hogwarts had quite so many books about parenting. Seemed like the wrong target market, for the most part.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #57 (permalink)
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement

Gaston blinked in reply to Ignatius's words, slightly taken aback. He hadn't expected him to be so... understanding. "Am I really that obvious?" he asked, though it was more a rhetorical question than anything else. He knew he was completely useless at hiding his emotions; always had been, always would be. "I just... worry about her. What if one day she needs me, and I'm too busy here to be there for her? Never mind..." he said, more to himself to his colleague. He didn't know why he was pouring his heart out like this!

Luckily, the mention of a picture distracted him before he could embarrass himself any further. He nodded, pulling a somewhat battered photograph that he carried everywhere out of his jacket pocket. A pair of bright blue eyes stared out of the face of the rosy-cheeked baby girl in the picture, and a few strands of wild black hair peeked out from the blanket covering her. Gaston stared longingly at the photo for a moment before handing it to Ignatius. "That's her..."

Then the subject turned to reading material. He glanced at the spine of the book his colleague was holding up. Hmm... ecology of micro-organisms wasn't quite his cup of tea, but he had to admit, it was something different. He nodded in reply to the question. "Well, sort of," he said.
"Hopefully at least one of these books will have some information to make the separation easier." If such a thing was possible...

Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Chizpurfle

x9

A smirk settled on Noble's lips as he shook his head. "I've been there," he said. "I think most working fathers have." Distance and long hours definitely took their toll. He thought about Abigail as a young girl a moment, an her excitement to play when he did finally make it home. As a result, he remained quiet at Gaston's emotional ramblings until a picture was held in front of his face.

He wasn't as if he really needed telling who was in it, and as he looked over it, he couldn't help but wonder once again why all newborns were so ugly. Slightly smooshed with pudgey limbs and heads too big for their bodies. There was something rather alien about them. Of course, that wasn't anything to go saying to a new father. Instead, he took an appropriate amount of time to consider the picture before giving it carefully back. "She's beautiful," he said curtly with a nod, before considering the books in the Charms Professor's arms once more.

"Well, the library has certainly diversified its stock since I was at school. I hope you find what you need." He somewhat doubted that what Gaston sought could be found in a book, but maybe he was wrong; it's not that he'd ever looked, either in the Hogwarts library or anywhere else. "And I probably shouldn't keep you. I'm sure a floo trip home awaits." With that he stepped aside, letting the younger man head to the desk and check out first.