SnitchSeeker.com

SnitchSeeker.com (http://www.snitchseeker.com/forum.php)
-   Ollivanders Wand Shop (Movies) (http://www.snitchseeker.com/ollivanders-wand-shop-movies/)
-   -   Which character is least like the book version? (http://www.snitchseeker.com/ollivanders-wand-shop-movies/which-character-is-least-like-the-book-version-66160/)

shortbottom 07-26-2009 03:18 PM

Which character is least like the book version?
 

There has been a lot of talk about GOOD and BAD actors in the HP series. If actors are only as good as the screenplay allows them to be, who do you think has gotten the worst of it in the movies as compared to the way they are characterized in the HP books?

After HBP my current rant is that Ginny's character is a bizzare shadow of the book version - especially the dialogue.:glomp:

astaroth 08-05-2009 02:52 PM

Yes I do agree with you, the real Ginny from the books is something so very different than the Bonnie Wright Ginny..

But for me (and probably nobody will agree), Tonks is the least book-version-like character for me. I imagined her ..I donīt know. In OotP I was very dissapointed, in HBP even more...

Nice topic, btw

ollie 08-05-2009 11:57 PM

Hermione in PoA, GoF and OotP

Ginny in OotP and HBP

Beater0 08-06-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astaroth (Post 8472320)
Yes I do agree with you, the real Ginny from the books is something so very different than the Bonnie Wright Ginny..

But for me (and probably nobody will agree), Tonks is the least book-version-like character for me. I imagined her ..I donīt know. In OotP I was very dissapointed, in HBP even more...

Nice topic, btw

I actually agree. I didn't mind Tonks in OoTP, but she seemed really different in HPB. Maybe it was the weird middle-age brunette bob she had going :)

I also think that Ginny is portrayed weirdly, but I think that has more to do with Bonnie Wright than the script. Although the "open up, you" line was pretty out there.

Dumbledore, as portrayed by Michael Gambon, from PoA through OoTP was quite out of character. I actually kind of liked him in HPB.

ZDARDSKY 08-06-2009 05:25 AM

Mad Eye Moody. Looks wise is SOOO far off. And personality and mannerisms... I hated the way they portrayed him in the movies. He was almost comic relief at times.

Ughhhh. <____<

MrMcGonagall 08-06-2009 09:52 AM

I'm really sorry to say that, in my opinion, Micheal Gambon portrays Dumbledore in a very bad way. I loved the way Richard Harris used to play the Headmaster while Sir Gambon seems to play without any emotions.

https://s20.postimg.org/fjx2rnlwd/Ginn_YSockks.png

magicmarauder 08-06-2009 10:44 AM

Ginny - she seems so forced and unnatural. Ginny in the book is confident and fun but she's just so odd in the films.

Tonks - in the books she's very outgoing and clumsy and happy (in OotP anyway) however she's quite calm and quiet in the films.

shortbottom 08-06-2009 02:07 PM

To MagicMarauder and Astaroth
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaroth (Post 8472320)
Yes I do agree with you, the real Ginny from the books is something so very different than the Bonnie Wright Ginny..

But for me (and probably nobody will agree), Tonks is the least book-version-like character for me. I imagined her ..I donīt know. In OotP I was very dissapointed, in HBP even more...

Nice topic, btw

Thanks.
I agree with both of you about Tonks. In both OotP and HBP she comes across as being really filled with angst. Don't know whether that is a reaction to her dilemma with Lupin (in the novel) or not, but they've taken a lot of life out of an enjoyable character. She does call him sweetheart in the film but it only seems in reaction to his pent up anger. Such a shame.
:lupin:

FutureMarauder17 08-06-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMcGonagall (Post 8475304)
I'm really sorry to say that, in my opinion, Micheal Gambon portrays Dumbledore in a very bad way. I loved the way Richard Harris used to play the Headmaster while Sir Gambon seems to play without any emotions.

I completely agree! During GoF, when Harry's name comes out of the goblet, in the book it seems as if he's calmly asking Harry how his name was put in, but in the movie, he explodes. That might not be his fault, but I'm very biased in Richard Harris' favor. XD
I also think that Bonnie Wright seems a little too awkward to be Ginny, I always pictured Ginny as a very secure, outgoing person.
But that's just me being overly critical, I guess. :P

shortbottom 08-07-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureMarauder17 (Post 8477316)
I also think that Bonnie Wright seems a little too awkward to be Ginny, I always pictured Ginny as a very secure, outgoing person.
But that's just me being overly critical, I guess. :P

This was filmed like two years ago, wasn't it? I'll be anxious to see if the time till DH will have improved her demeanor and acting ability. Hope so, I want to see more of the novel's character revealed.:glomp:

Ginny_Weasley_Potter 08-09-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbottom (Post 8433077)
After HBP my current rant is that Ginny's character is a bizzare shadow of the book version - especially the dialogue.:glomp:

So very true! Bonnie Wright may look the part, but she contributes very little to the actual character. I think that, in the books, Snape was more malicious and his bad attitude towards Harry was more pronounced. But Snape in the movies doesn't quite show as much emotion. Also, I miss Dobby! And I think that Umbridge could have been nastier in the 5th movie.

Ginny_Weasley_Potter 08-09-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicmarauder (Post 8475403)
Tonks - in the books she's very outgoing and clumsy and happy (in OotP anyway) however she's quite calm and quiet in the films.

Very true, and in the HBP movie, she was strange (although, in the book, she's feeling down because of Lupin, so the director must have told her to act a bit toned-down).:scar: In the OotP, Tonks was okay. She didn't have a big part, but she could have been a bit more vibrant :banaboogie:

Venomyz 08-10-2009 01:28 AM

I was a bit upset with Tonks because i expected her to change her hair color more than just a bit of red, that was hardly visible.

and she was a bit more... bubbly
and playful and very clumsy.
in ootp
it was only a bit of clumsy and abit of playful. but i wanted to see more.


and Kingley who is hardly important in the movie.

In the movie, we hardly know who he is.

Vheissu 08-11-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureMarauder17 (Post 8477316)
I completely agree! During GoF, when Harry's name comes out of the goblet, in the book it seems as if he's calmly asking Harry how his name was put in, but in the movie, he explodes. That might not be his fault, but I'm very biased in Richard Harris' favor. XD
I also think that Bonnie Wright seems a little too awkward to be Ginny, I always pictured Ginny as a very secure, outgoing person.
But that's just me being overly critical, I guess. :P

I completely agree, when I first saw him push harry up against the trophies, I just didn't think that was something the book version would do

shortbottom 08-13-2009 10:35 PM

Thanks!
 
Didn't turn out to be a popular subject but thanks to all of you for responding!:glomp:

Blitz 08-22-2009 01:42 PM

I don't like Clemence Poesy that much. I don't think she has the look of Fleur at all.

I think that Bonnie Wright looks VERY good as Ginny in the 5th movie, although she doesn't really have the oppertunity to show her personality.
In the 6th film I think she does the role pretty fair, although I wish you would se more of how fun and outgoing she is. But the 'Shut it' part at the Quiddich feld was great:P

xXHermione GrangerXx 08-22-2009 05:41 PM

I agree Ginny in HBP is not like the book she is too quiet and strange where in the book shes is confident and more fun

laura-tonks 08-23-2009 10:56 PM

I thought Ginny in HBP was just a complete disaster to be honest, they obviously had no idea what to do with her character and made a bit of a mess of it. If they'd bothered to make Ginny's gradually more outgoing personality a bit earlier (eg from GOF-) I think Bonnie would've been able to make her performance a bit more real and audiences would've been able to identify with her more.

Bonnie's finest moments in the HP films have been very subtle, my favourite being just as the DA are leaving the RoR before Harry and Cho kiss, and Ginny just looks back and Bonnie shows an entire character in a shot of about 2 seconds long. Amazing! And quite similar to the little hints in the books of Ginny's feelings for Harry while he's distracted by Cho.

And about the Dumbledore debate? I was very much Team Harris as I thought he was very much the character from the books compared to Michael Gambon. But in HBP however, I adored every moment of Gambon's performance and it felt like I was seeing the Dumbledore of the books again. So now I'm confused :xd:

Actually I think the character least like the book version is undoubtedly Barty Crouch Jr. but obviously they wanted the character a completely and utterly different way and this doesn't bother me. It was a shame they didn't do that sad scene when he's dragged away screaming by the Dementors, but I can see why they made him much more evil, particularly for the scene where he is discovered, as that felt a bit bland in the book.

And the Tonks thing? I'll defend Tonks and Natalia Tena till my dying day and I blame lack of allocated screentime for her problems. There was really no time to see Tonks' fun personality in OOTP and her depression in HBP was also cut, so very little of her character was seen which is a big shame.

tom-harry-wealsey 08-24-2009 04:17 AM

Ginny in HBP. but all right in other movies.

Blitz 08-27-2009 02:33 PM

All right, regardless of what I said before, I like Bonnie Wright, it's her LINES that are bad, NOT her! She is GREAT!!! Espessially in OotP

LONG LIVE BONNIE!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/rakuril/009.jpg

shortbottom 08-28-2009 11:20 PM

Love the picture! Those eyes could put you off guard.
:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ginny_ (Post 8550742)
All right, regardless of what I said before, I like Bonnie Wright, it's her LINES that are bad, NOT her! She is GREAT!!! Espessially in OotP

LONG LIVE BONNIE!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...1161723123.jpg


CydneySurfWitch 08-28-2009 11:51 PM

This is very interesting!Haha well...I don't know.Ginny and Tonks and Dumbledore are tearing me appart!I like all the actors,I think they're really good.(Sir Gambon of course.) However,Dumbledore seems to me....Not quite right.I don't know what it is,but it just erks me the way he's portrayed with Michael Gambon playing him.I did like the late Richard Harris' portrayal of Dumbledore,though.Tonks is the same thing.I don't know why,but she just seems different.Ginny mainly because they don't let her fully show anything she does in the books.If you notice in the movies,Harry and Ginny sort of jump into a relationship and you can't really see how it grows.That just seems to bother me!Well that's just my idea...But hey :)

Ginny Molly Weasley 08-30-2009 09:29 PM

that is very hard but I have to say... NONE THERE ALL GREAT!!!!!!

Weaslebee 08-31-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ginny_ (Post 8527215)
I don't like Clemence Poesy that much. I don't think she has the look of Fleur at all.

I think that Bonnie Wright looks VERY good as Ginny in the 5th movie, although she doesn't really have the oppertunity to show her personality.
In the 6th film I think she does the role pretty fair, although I wish you would se more of how fun and outgoing she is. But the 'Shut it' part at the Quiddich feld was great:P

Agreed.

I also don't think that Snape is nasty enough in the films.

Michael Gambon ruined Dumbledore!!! He didn't even look like the book described Dumbledore!!

lovegood90 08-31-2009 05:43 PM

I agree that Michael Gambon ruined Dumbledore. For me, he's not really fatherly enough and kind for Dumbledore, he seems a bit too harsh or something, I don't really know. The late Richard Harris did a great Dumbledore, he was everything I pictured in the book.

I also don't like Ginny in the films, she's not confident enough as people have said.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.3.2 © 2009, Crawlability, Inc.
Site designed by Richard Harris Design


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180