sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!
Visit the Official WB SHop!

Members

There are 222 users online including...
ynryniki , aynahanrube , owlakowiczmart , dftandfielnori , envalentemely , rlarloyd , oncoontzvane , eacheapgowns , rlehrliyuet , hjhm

34 members
188 guests.

Members in Chat:



If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > Diagon Alley (Potterdom) > Flourish and Blotts (Books)

Flourish and Blotts (Books) For all discussion relating to the Harry Potter book series - with individual book forums, reviews, editorials, and romance shipping.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ravenclaw
Gnome
 
SilverMoonbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: My world with Rupert
Posts: 348

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Malachy Baxter
First Year
Default
Artfully Articulate

I think that snape would have treated him differently. He probably would have treated him the way he treats malfoy now.
SilverMoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Gryffindor
Puffskein
 
HarryPotterQuidditch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,147

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jordan Kobe
Fifth Year
Default
I Can Accept Failure. But I Can't Accept Not Trying

It'd be tough to see Harry as a Slytherin because, like everyone else said, Harry Potter wouldn't be the Harry Potter everyone thought he would live up to be. (Being the Chosen One, and Finishing Voldemort) I also think Ron and Hermione would not hang out with Harry then, because they HATE slytherin's. And this would change the outcome of the series, tremendously. Good thing this didn't happen!!! haha.
HarryPotterQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPotterQuidditch View Post
It'd be tough to see Harry as a Slytherin because, like everyone else said, Harry Potter wouldn't be the Harry Potter everyone thought he would live up to be. (Being the Chosen One, and Finishing Voldemort) I also think Ron and Hermione would not hang out with Harry then, because they HATE slytherin's. And this would change the outcome of the series, tremendously. Good thing this didn't happen!!! haha.
I disagree! How would he being in Slytherin changed him from being the Chosen One? He already was chosen. By Voldemort,now he IS the chosen one. And I don't think Hermione and Ron would hate him. ARemember,this was at the begining of the series. They weren't used to the Slytherins,they didn't have any experience,so ther would be silly to hate Slytherin right away! The fact that Harry was put in it would have changed some of the prejudice they had.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Gryffindor
Puffskein
 
HarryPotterQuidditch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,147

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jordan Kobe
Fifth Year
Default
I Can Accept Failure. But I Can't Accept Not Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
I disagree! How would he being in Slytherin changed him from being the Chosen One? He already was chosen. By Voldemort,now he IS the chosen one. And I don't think Hermione and Ron would hate him. ARemember,this was at the begining of the series. They weren't used to the Slytherins,they didn't have any experience,so ther would be silly to hate Slytherin right away! The fact that Harry was put in it would have changed some of the prejudice they had.
I just think he wont be against I think he would lean more towards Voldys side. Just my opinion bro
HarryPotterQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPotterQuidditch View Post
I also think Ron and Hermione would not hang out with Harry then, because they HATE slytherin's.
I don't think Hermione hates Slytherins, even though she doesn't like them much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
I disagree! How would he being in Slytherin changed him from being the Chosen One?
Because since Voldemort was such a typical Slytherin, the Chosen One had to be an anti-Slytherin.

Last edited by Dainsie; 04-28-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Because since Voldemort was such a typical Slytherin, the Chosen One had to be an anti-Slytherin.
Such a typical Slytherin? It's not typical for Slytherins to become dark lords. Some of them are bullies,but not dark lords.
And last I checked,the Chosen One did not become the Chosen One because of what other people thought of him. It wouldn't matter what house he were in,the choice lies with him,not with silly children. Because it would be silly if people hated Harry because of the house that he was in. After all,the houses are only for children,yes? It's a childhood thing,it's shocking that some adults take your house so seriously. That's as if people in real life judged you based on what school you came from. If you came from a school which produced a terrorist,ADULTS would not start hating students at the school. That's the reason I always thought Hagrid was foolish. I like him,he's like a child,but he's foolish. It was shocking how a grown man would speak with venom againts children.
And as for children...will the hatred between the houses is one of those school kid grudges. School kid grudges can be grown out of,and they shouldn't alter the future.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Okay, you totally misunderstood me.

Maybe "typical" wasn't the right word. What I meant was, Voldemort was the Heir of Slytherin, right? So he totally embodied everything, that Salazar Slytherin stood for (ambition and pure-bloodism). And since the Chosen One had to be an anti-Voldemort, he also had to be an anti-Slytherin. And if we read the books, don't we get the impression, that it's the Gryffindors, who has most problems with the Slytherins, while the Hufflepuffs and the Ravenclaws usually stay on the side and don't get involved. So it makes sense, that the Chosen One was to be a Gryffindor.

You have a point, that the houses shouldn't matter to adults, after they've left Hogwarts (except if they return there to become teachers and become heads of their house). There are even times, when it's suggested, that even for students, putting too much importance in the differences between the houses is a bad thing. But for many people, it seems like this matters, even long after graduation. There are probably many parents out there, who'd become awfully disappointed, if their children didn't end up in "the right house".

Last edited by Furienna; 04-29-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Jarvey
 
Moaning Myrtle lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 653

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mafalda
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Erick Navy
Magical Games & Sports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Okay, you totally misunderstood me.

Maybe "typical" wasn't the right word. What I meant was, Voldemort was the Heir of Slytherin, right? So he totally embodied everything, that Salazar Slytherin stood for (ambition and pure-bloodism). And since the Chosen One had to be an anti-Voldemort, he also had to be an anti-Slytherin. And if we read the books, don't we get the impression, that it's the Gryffindors, who has most problems with the Slytherins, while the Hufflepuffs and the Ravenclaws usually stay on the side and don't get involved. So it makes sense, that the Chosen One was to be a Gryffindor.

You have a point, that the houses shouldn't matter to adults, after they've left Hogwarts (except if they return there to become teachers and become heads of their house). There are even times, when it's suggested, that even for students, putting too much importance in the differences between the houses is a bad thing. But for many people, it seems like this matters, even long after graduation. There are probably many parents out there, who'd become awfully disappointed, if their children didn't end up in "the right house".
I partly agree.
Moaning Myrtle lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Okay, you totally misunderstood me.

Maybe "typical" wasn't the right word. What I meant was, Voldemort was the Heir of Slytherin, right? So he totally embodied everything, that Salazar Slytherin stood for (ambition and pure-bloodism). And since the Chosen One had to be an anti-Voldemort, he also had to be an anti-Slytherin. And if we read the books, don't we get the impression, that it's the Gryffindors, who has most problems with the Slytherins, while the Hufflepuffs and the Ravenclaws usually stay on the side and don't get involved. So it makes sense, that the Chosen One was to be a Gryffindor.

You have a point, that the houses shouldn't matter to adults, after they've left Hogwarts (except if they return there to become teachers and become heads of their house). There are even times, when it's suggested, that even for students, putting too much importance in the differences between the houses is a bad thing. But for many people, it seems like this matters, even long after graduation. There are probably many parents out there, who'd become awfully disappointed, if their children didn't end up in "the right house".
But you are forgetting something very importan. Most people don't even know that Voldemort is the Heir of Slytherin. Most people don't know that he was Tom Riddle. According to Dumbledore,Voldemort popped out of nowhere,no one recognized him as the "genius" Tom Riddle. Some didn't even think he was human! And so,if you are refering to expectations,there wouldn't be many. Yes,it's true that Voldemort acted like Slytherin. But no one knew for certain where he came from.

ALL the houses are againts Slytherin. Just read the Quiddatch matches and you will see what I'm talking about.

Yes,it does matter for many people what house you are in. At least,that's the idea that is given. But I don't remember any adult taking it so seriously besides Hagrid and Snape. "(Ron was joking.)
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #35 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
But you are forgetting something very importan. Most people don't even know that Voldemort is the Heir of Slytherin. Most people don't know that he was Tom Riddle. According to Dumbledore,Voldemort popped out of nowhere,no one recognized him as the "genius" Tom Riddle. Some didn't even think he was human! And so,if you are refering to expectations,there wouldn't be many. Yes,it's true that Voldemort acted like Slytherin. But no one knew for certain where he came from.
I wasn't talking about what people expected, but about what was Voldemort's and Harry's fate. There was a prophecy about them, so they had a fate, that linked them together. And the Chosen One had to be the anti-Voldemort, so even though Harry wasn't Gryffindor's heir like Voldemort was Slytherin's heir, the different houses represent different personalities, so it only makes sense, that the Chosen One came from another house.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I wasn't talking about what people expected, but about what was Voldemort's and Harry's fate. There was a prophecy about them, so they had a fate, that linked them together. And the Chosen One had to be the anti-Voldemort, so even though Harry wasn't Gryffindor's heir like Voldemort was Slytherin's heir, the different houses represent different personalities, so it only makes sense, that the Chosen One came from another house.
Not entirely. Remember,there are many prophecies that never came true. Dumbledore said in HBP that prophicies aren't important,that the motives of the person involved is important. He went on to explain that if Voldemort had never heard of the prohecy,it would never have happened. And then he forced Harry to admit that it wasn't becaus of the prophecy,but because of the murder of his parents that Harry wanted to kill Voldemort.
And besides,this prophecy was made by Twelawny. I don't believe there is much fate in that. Prophecy doesn't live independant of the people involved. The motives are what count.
So think about it: Harry gets sorted into Slytherin. Would he start to become a bully? No! He has lived 11 years with his dreadfull stepparents. He hasn't shown even a sign of becoming cruel. And they would be able to bully him far more that students would be able to. And I don't think he'd be friends with Malfoy. He had already rejected him on the train.
So Harry already knew that Voldemort killed his parents. I think he'd want revenge,regardless of what house he was sorted into. And Voldemort would still want his blood in GOF. That would even more further the grudge.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #37 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
Not entirely. Remember,there are many prophecies that never came true.
Maybe, but this one did come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon
Dumbledore said in HBP that prophicies aren't important,that the motives of the person involved is important. He went on to explain that if Voldemort had never heard of the prohecy,it would never have happened. And then he forced Harry to admit that it wasn't becaus of the prophecy,but because of the murder of his parents that Harry wanted to kill Voldemort.
It still doesn't change, that this prophecy came true.

Quote:
And besides,this prophecy was made by Twelawny. I don't believe there is much fate in that. Prophecy doesn't live independant of the people involved. The motives are what count.
Trelawney was a fraud, except when she fell into a trance. And both those times, the prophecy came true.

Quote:
So think about it: Harry gets sorted into Slytherin. Would he start to become a bully? No! He has lived 11 years with his dreadfull stepparents. He hasn't shown even a sign of becoming cruel. And they would be able to bully him far more that students would be able to. And I don't think he'd be friends with Malfoy. He had already rejected him on the train.
Harry specifically asked, as an eleven-year-old boy, who had only known about the magic world for a month, to not be placed into Slytherin. And I think that says a lot. And by the way, Snape had a bad home life and was bullied at school, and he became a bully himself. Some people become bullies, even when they really should have known better.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Jarvey
 
Moaning Myrtle lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 653

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mafalda
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Erick Navy
Magical Games & Sports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Maybe, but this one did come true.


It still doesn't change, that this prophecy came true.


Trelawney was a fraud, except when she fell into a trance. And both those times, the prophecy came true.


Harry specifically asked, as an eleven-year-old boy, who had only known about the magic world for a month, to not be placed into Slytherin. And I think that says a lot. And by the way, Snape had a bad home life and was bullied at school, and he became a bully himself. Some people become bullies, even when they really should have known better.
Hmm,yeah I have to agree.
Moaning Myrtle lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Maybe, but this one did come true.


It still doesn't change, that this prophecy came true.


Trelawney was a fraud, except when she fell into a trance. And both those times, the prophecy came true.


Harry specifically asked, as an eleven-year-old boy, who had only known about the magic world for a month, to not be placed into Slytherin. And I think that says a lot. And by the way, Snape had a bad home life and was bullied at school, and he became a bully himself. Some people become bullies, even when they really should have known better.
But the prophecy already was predicted! It was said way before Harry was put in Slytherin. It was about Longbottom and Potter,whichever one Voldemort chose. He chose Harry Potter and killed his parents. That means that Harry Potter was the boy of the prophecy. So it wouldn't matter if what house he were sorted into,the prophecy was already predicted. It seems like you are implying that prophecies that come true are alive and that it is they,not the people involved,that make the prophecy. If that is true,then the prophecy was already predicted,and it wouldn't have been able to pull itself back if Harry were in Slytherin.

So let's look at it this way first: The prophecy is somehow "aware",somehow it is alive. Or at leat there is an inteillegent force behind it. Then that measn that when it got predicted,nothing would be able to stop it from coming true. After all,this was said in a trance. It is a "real" prophecy,and thus it wouldn't matter what Harry was soted into. Prophecy would attend to itself.

Now I don't really believe that the prophecy is aware,I only said the above paragraph since you implied that prophecies spoken in a trance somehow are more important that the others. Then again,it is strange that the prophecy can controll people without them knowing it. It might be aware,but it's not confirmed.

Now let's go on to the idea that the prophecy is not aware,that it is just a prediction. Or that it is aware,but not omnipotent. So now we are back to the fact that it is the characters motives that fulfill a prophecy. I will go into a alternate univers where he was sorted into Slytherin. Harry's parents get killed and he lives with the Dursleys. He gets taken by Hagrid into Diagon Alley. Now let's pretend that he never met Malfoy at Diagon Allet,and thus Hagrid would never have told him the lie about all bad wizards coming from Slytherin. So Harry gets on the train and meets Ron and Hermione. He is about to get sorted. Now note that in the books,Harry wasn't desperate to get into the same house as his friends. Otherwise he would have said "Gryffindor" instead of "not Slytherin." The reason he didn't want to be in Slytherin was because of what Hagrid said and because of his encounter with Malfoy. So he would have said nothing,and the Hat would have put him in Slytherin. Now,he would soon meet Malfoy and Malfoy would attempt to befriend him. But Harry is a good person,he'd see right through Malfoy. I'm sure that he would reject him since he reminded him of Dudley. So the top Slytherin bully would be out of the equation. I'm not sure of Ron would be his friend,but remember that Ron wasn't too prejudiced againts Slytherin when he arrived. Because he already was his friend,it might be another Lilly and Snape story. Harry goes into his second year of Hogwarts and he is framed for attacking students. Harry would try to prove his innocence,people would hate him even more now that he is in Slytherin. Harry might learn the secret,and he would save Ginny. Because I don't care how mean the Slytherins might be to him,they wouldn't be allowed to abuse him more that the Dursleyes. I believe Rowling is a good writer,so I don't believ that she would say that he would be corrupted by his fellow students. Si Harry saves Ginny and becomes friends with Ron if he wasn't already. Now he goes into his third year and Black is after him. Because I'm sure Black wouldn't hate him for ehat house he were in! Harry may or may not learn the truth. In the fourth year there is no question that Voldemort would still want Harry's blood. So Harry would still be in that graveyard. Then the next year no one would believe him. Soon Harry might learn of the prophecy if Dumbledore caes to inform him or if he has befriended Sirius. In the sixth year when Dumbledore is training him,Dumbledore would ask him if he wants to hunt Voldemort. He would go through the same debate which he did in the book,and tell Harry that it is because of his parents murders,not because of the prophecy,that he wants to kill him. He did say this in the book,which proves my point.

And so the stage is set for the prophecy to come true.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
But the prophecy already was predicted! It was said way before Harry was put in Slytherin. It was about Longbottom and Potter,whichever one Voldemort chose. He chose Harry Potter and killed his parents. That means that Harry Potter was the boy of the prophecy. So it wouldn't matter if what house he were sorted into,the prophecy was already predicted.
For some reason, Voldemort saw Harry as the bigger threat than Neville, and that's why he was the one, that he tried to kill as a baby. According to Dumbledore, it probably was because Harry was a half-blood, just like him, while Neville was a pure-blood. We have no idea how Neville would have handled the responsibility, if he had been the Chosen One, but I believe the right boy was chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon
It seems like you are implying that prophecies that come true are alive and that it is they,not the people involved,that make the prophecy. If that is true,then the prophecy was already predicted,and it wouldn't have been able to pull itself back if Harry were in Slytherin.
Of course, the prophechy didn't make people do things (except of course, that Voldemort wouldn't have had set out to kill little Harry, if he never heard about it). People have choices. But a prophecy will predict what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon
Now I don't really believe that the prophecy is aware,I only said the above paragraph since you implied that prophecies spoken in a trance somehow are more important that the others.
I never said that, but that Professor Trelawney was a fraud, except when she fell into a trance. It was only then, that she really could predict the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's talon
I will go into a alternate univers where he was sorted into Slytherin.
Even if I may have overanalyzed things, when I said, that the Chosen One couldn't have been in Slytherin (I still think I was onto something though), I don't really think, that Harry would have belonged in that house. He was so much more the Gryffindor type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's talon
Now let's pretend that he never met Malfoy at Diagon Allet,and thus Hagrid would never have told him the lie about all bad wizards coming from Slytherin.
While it may have been an overgeneralization, it wasn't a lie. Because really, can you name a bad wizard, who didn't come from Slytherin? Except for Peter Pettigrew, who was more of a coward than evil (how he ever got sorted into Gryffindor is anyone's guess), all the Death Eaters were Slytherins, right? I could also bet money on Umbridge having been in that house, even though it's not confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's talon
I'm not sure of Ron would be his friend,but remember that Ron wasn't too prejudiced againts Slytherin when he arrived.
Well, the Weasleys must have been a very Gryffindor-biased family. Even that awful traitor Percy was in Gryffindor. So I wouldn't be so sure, that Ron didn't carry some prejudices about the Slytherin house (which unfortunately also mostly would have turned out to be true) from his home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's talon
Now he goes into his third year and Black is after him. Because I'm sure Black wouldn't hate him for ehat house he were in! Harry may or may not learn the truth.
*cough* *cough* Wouldn't Sirius have hated someone for being a Slytherin? *cough* *cough* This man actually hated his own family, almost pathologically so, and the Blacks had all been Slytherins before Sirius got sorted into Gryffindor. (Or maybe Andromeda was the first non-Slytherin in the family, we don't know which house she was in). He hated the pure-bloodism and the Dark Arts, which both were very popular in Slytherin. And unlike Lupin, who was much calmer and less hateful, he wouldn't give Snape a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's talon
In the sixth year when Dumbledore is training him,Dumbledore would ask him if he wants to hunt Voldemort. He would go through the same debate which he did in the book,and tell Harry that it is because of his parents murders,not because of the prophecy,that he wants to kill him. He did say this in the book,which proves my point.
And again, you misunderstand me. I never said, that the prophecy was anything but a prediction. It doesn't have any power by itself (except that it made Voldemort, without knowing it, make it come true). But nevertheless, it was a very correct prediction about what would happen.

Last edited by Dainsie; 05-05-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
For some reason, Voldemort saw Harry as the bigger threat than Neville, and that's why he was the one, that he tried to kill as a baby. According to Dumbledore, it probably was because Harry was a half-blood, just like him, while Neville was a pure-blood. We have no idea how Neville would have handled the responsibility, if he had been the Chosen One, but I believe the right boy was chosen.


Of course, the prophechy didn't make people do things (except of course, that Voldemort wouldn't have had set out to kill little Harry, if he never heard about it). People have choices. But a prophecy will predict what will happen.


I never said that, but that Professor Trelawney was a fraud, except when she fell into a trance. It was only then, that she really could predict the future.


Even if I may have overanalyzed things, when I said, that the Chosen One couldn't have been in Slytherin (I still think I was onto something though), I don't really think, that Harry would have belonged in that house. He was so much more the Gryffindor type.


While it may have been an overgeneralization, it wasn't a lie. Because really, can you name a bad wizard, who didn't come from Slytherin? Except for Peter Pettigrew, who was more of a coward than evil (how he ever got sorted into Gryffindor is anyone's guess), all the Death Eaters were Slytherins, right? I could also bet money on Umbridge having been in that house, even though it's not confirmed.


Well, the Weasleys must have been a very Gryffindor-biased family. Even that awful traitor Percy was in Gryffindor. So I wouldn't be so sure, that Ron didn't carry some prejudices about the Slytherin house (which unfortunately also mostly would have turned out to be true) from his home.


*cough* *cough* Wouldn't Sirius have hated someone for being a Slytherin? *cough* *cough* This man actually hated his own family, almost pathologically so, and the Blacks had all been Slytherins before Sirius got sorted into Gryffindor. (Or maybe Andromeda was the first non-Slytherin in the family, we don't know which house she was in). He hated the pure-bloodism and the Dark Arts, which both were very popular in Slytherin. And unlike Lupin, who was much calmer and less hateful, he wouldn't give Snape a chance.


And again, you misunderstand me. I never said, that the prophecy was anything but a prediction. It doesn't have any power by itself (except that it made Voldemort, without knowing it, make it come true). But nevertheless, it was a very correct prediction about what would happen.
Actually,I can name another wizard who wasn't in Slytherin who turned bad. I forgot how his name was spelled,but I think it was Karkaraf,or something like that. Remember that his school was famous for training dark wizards. So I think that it produced many dark wizards,at least as many as Slytherin had.

Okay,I was wrong about Ron. He probably would have been biased againts Harry,he wasn't exactly the mature one. But I think he would have liked him if he saved Ginny. And I think Sirius would have given Harry a chance. I mean,yeah,he hated Snape,but he hated him before he was sorted into Slytherin. He didn't hate him because he was in Slytherin,he hated him because he spied on them and because he hated James. It was something personal,it wasn't just because he was in Slytherin. And because Harry was James's son,I think he still would want to help him. I mean,Sirius is not like Snape. Harry was his friends son,not his enemies son.

But I agree on the part about Harry being the right boy.

Last edited by Dainsie; 05-05-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon View Post
Actually,I can name another wizard who wasn't in Slytherin who turned bad. I forgot how his name was spelled,but I think it was Karkaraf,or something like that. Remember that his school was famous for training dark wizards. So I think that it produced many dark wizards,at least as many as Slytherin had.
I should have said "another British wizard". Karkaroff went to Durmstrang, another magic school. So did Grindelwald, who also was bad.

Quote:
=Slytherin's TalonOkay,I was wrong about Ron. He probably would have been biased againts Harry,he wasn't exactly the mature one. But I think he would have liked him if he saved Ginny.
Being grateful and liking someone is two different things. And call me prejudiced (but JKR didn't give us many examples of good Slytherins either), I hardly believe, that a Slytherin could or would have saved Ginny's life anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin's Talon
And I think Sirius would have given Harry a chance. I mean,yeah,he hated Snape,but he hated him before he was sorted into Slytherin. He didn't hate him because he was in Slytherin,he hated him because he spied on them and because he hated James. It was something personal,it wasn't just because he was in Slytherin. And because Harry was James's son,I think he still would want to help him. I mean,Sirius is not like Snape. Harry was his friends son,not his enemies son.
I don't know... Even if we disregard Snape, Sirius didn't like Slytherins. Except for Andromeda, who was his favorite cousin, he hated his family, and they had all been Slytherins (and some of them were also Death Eaters). I think if James's son had become a Slytherin, he might have wanted to see him anyway, since he was his godson, but he would be very disappointed, and he maybe wouldn't have been able to love Harry like he did.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
I should have said "another British wizard". Karkaroff went to Durmstrang, another magic school. So did Grindelwald, who also was bad.


Being grateful and liking someone is two different things. And call me prejudiced (but JKR didn't give us many examples of good Slytherins either), I hardly believe, that a Slytherin could or would have saved Ginny's life anyway.


I don't know... Even if we disregard Snape, Sirius didn't like Slytherins. Except for Andromeda, who was his favorite cousin, he hated his family, and they had all been Slytherins (and some of them were also Death Eaters). I think if James's son had become a Slytherin, he might have wanted to see him anyway, since he was his godson, but he would be very disappointed, and he maybe wouldn't have been able to love Harry like he did.
Okay,I guess I'll go through an alternate univers again,but before I do so,I'll make a few short statements: Harry WOULD have been in Slytherin if not for Malfoy. If he hadn't met Malfoy he would never have learned anything about the houses aside from what th Hat said. So he wouldn't have said "Not Slytherin." In the books he did not say "Gryfindor.",he just said "Not Slytherin." That's proof that it's not that he wanted to be in Ron's house so badly,he just wanted to be away from the 11 year old dark wizards. So the Hat would have placed him in Slytherin.

Now,I think it a major contradiction to say that Harry would have been corrupted by the students. It's almost funny,because the Dursleys were not able to. Think about it: The Dursleys abused him,beat him(at least Dudley did),never showed him any kindness, and barely gave him enough food. Now the Slytherins would never be allowed to do that. The Slytherins are sneaky,they don't strike me as the type to beat you up. Except Crabbe and Goyle,and I have no idea what they are doing in Slytherin. Harry would have enough food at Hogwarts,and he would have been shown fairness by most of the teachers,maybe even all of them. The Slytherins would NOT be allowed to beat him up,they would get in trouble if they were caught. So even if they did it,it would still be better treatment than with the Dursleys. I would prefer to live with th Slytherins that with the Dursleys. Because with the Dursleys,the bullies have the authority. With the Slytherins,the teachers have the authority. So no one would ever say that he is treated worse in Slytherin.

Now you will probably say that he would be corrupted by their beliefs,not their abuse. Well I doubt it. Malfoy would hate him,because he rejected him before he was sorted. I rather doubt that Harr would say "Oh,I'm in Slytherin. I guess we CAN still be friends!" Don't forget that the worst Slytherins would hate him,he did beat their fathers master. And Harry is a good person. Most doctors in real life would say that Harry would grow up to be nasty if he was with the Dursleys. But he didn't. He's very noble,and he saw right through Malfoy. He'd see right through other lies as well.

So yes,I absolutely believe that he would save Ginny. The only reaon he was in Gryfindor was because he asked. He wouldn't have asked if he didn't know that Slytherins had a inclination to be bad.

And before you pass judgment on to a bunch of 11-17 year olds,remember the final battle and remember Slughorn. Slughorn was not corrupted. So why would Harry be? Now remember that in the final battle,the Slytherins went to Hogsmeade and got reinforments. Rowling mentioned this in a interview. So I think that there are more good ones that what we've come to expect. And Harry is better than the average person,so if they can be good,so he can he.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Gryffindor
Jarvey
 
MagicGlitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 560

Hogwarts RPG Name:
McCall Asha
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Zelda Kinzler
Environmental Protection
Default

I think Snape would definitely be more kind to Harry. I'm not saying treating him as fair as his other housemates, because of course, the pranks and Lily. But I do think that there would be a change.
MagicGlitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicGlitter View Post
I think Snape would definitely be more kind to Harry. I'm not saying treating him as fair as his other housemates, because of course, the pranks and Lily. But I do think that there would be a change.
I agree with you. Snape is kind of foolish,he judges people based on what house they are in. He's the kind of person who would say that just because he knows someone else was a bully from a house,that would mean that they all were. Very unfair for anybody to judge houses like this.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Jarvey
 
Moaning Myrtle lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 653

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mafalda
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Erick Navy
Magical Games & Sports
Default

I think Slytherin's Talon was right. Rowling just mentioned that Slytherin is closer to Gryfindorr than the other houses are.
Moaning Myrtle lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #47 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Really? Because that's not how she describes it in the books.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
Slytherin
Firecrab
 
Slytherin's Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faerun
Posts: 938

Hogwarts RPG Name:
C. Caspian
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Scarlet Seekers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Really? Because that's not how she describes it in the books.
Oh yes,I agree that in the books she makes them look like Voldemorts children. But she just said that when she was introducing Pottermore.
Slytherin's Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #49 (permalink)


DIMC & DMAC
Cockatrice
 
Saiai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney GMT+10
Posts: 28,851

x1 x2

Ministry RPG Name:
Dmitry Konstantinov
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Joshua Falsworth
Accidents & Catastrophes
Default
cúur perfide | super prosecutor | Ameh's Squishy

And also we have to remember that the books were really from Harry's point of view, in the way that the reader only really see's what Harry says. So if all Harry ever got to see were horrid Slytherin's then that's all we would get to see.

And I gotta say I'm totally not feeling the love for Slytherin's in this thread.

But to answer the actual question I think Snape would have been a bit more discreet when it came to showing his feelings for Harry if he was a snake. He may even have come to respect him a bit more, but I think saying they would like each other would be pushing it.
__________________
Saiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #50 (permalink)
Hufflepuff
Streeler
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiai View Post
And also we have to remember that the books were really from Harry's point of view, in the way that the reader only really see's what Harry says. So if all Harry ever got to see were horrid Slytherin's then that's all we would get to see.
Indeed, we never saw a Slytherin, who was even remotely decent, until Slughorn was introduced in book 6. But even so, it seems like Gryffindor and Slytherin had very different values. If they really are that close to each other, I would JKR to explain that better.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Homework Help Service


This Harry Potter and Wizarding World fan website and community is not endorsed by Hogwarts, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros., Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Quidditch, Deathly Hallows, Sorcerer's Stone, Wizards, Muggles, No-Maj, MACUSA, Newt Scamander, Video Games, Half-Blood Prince, Orders of the Phoenix, Goblet of Fire, Philosopher's Stones, Chamber of Secret, Pottermore, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Eddie Redmayne, Cursed Child, or any other official Harry Potter source.

All content is copyright ©2002 - 2016, SnitchSeeker.com unless stated otherwise. Privacy Policy

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.3.2 © 2009, Crawlability, Inc.
Site designed by Richard Harris Design

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180