sitemap
FOLLOW SNITCHSEEKER:

Email Us!
Visit the Official WB SHop!

Members

Members in Chat:



If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   SnitchSeeker.com > Forums > SnitchSeeker RPG > L'Académie de Magie Beauxbâtons > Le Troisième Étage > Astronomy

Astronomy Can you see it in the stars? Grab your telescope and prepare to sit in on some stellar lessons!

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2019, 06:02 PM
laurange laurange is offline
 
Default Astronomy I :: A Sky full of Stars

The Observatory is as it always is, despite the later hour. Scheduling conflicts were responsible for that, along with the fact that Simran did not want to hold her seminar lessons on a weekend. Students needed their days off, and more importantly, she had earned her days off and did not want to teach on a Saturday when she could be taking tea.

The November chill doesn't quite bite here, thanks to the charms Simran had carefully set around the place. All the same, she is not dressed in a saree today, but in something rather warmer, an old red-and-gold scarf wrapped around her mouth and nose as she waits for your arrival.

Have you brought your telescopes?

OOC: The lesson has begun, so please no longer post your character arriving unless you wish for them to receive IC consequences (such as points loss). Simply pretend they were there all along!


LESSON PROGRESSION:
Question 1: As we know, Astronomy deals with a great deal of Muggle science, but what are its applications within magic?
Question 2: How do most magicians keep track of celestial movements, and how do we avoid unwanted effects on the magic we perform?
Main Activity: Map the night sky, using your hands to measure distance!
Old 09-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
Gladrags Mod



DMC & DMAC
Bugbear
 
hermionesclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 31,832

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lucas Sebastian Dakest
Fourth Year

x11 x11

Ministry RPG Name:
Zhuó Xiá Li
Magical Creatures

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson Douglas Whitlock
Accidents & Catastrophes
Default
Magikarp #3 | Pat's Strong Confident Other Half | Pees Like a Champion Unicorn Racehorse

As much as he didn't like the idea of a lesson so late on a Friday, Lucas was willing to look past that. It was Astronomy! And he was sure that even if he didn't have a lesson right now, he probably would've tried to sit in the Observatory with a blanket and some hot chocolate. You know, if there weren't already people there.

Best of all? This classroom was a little.... warmer than he expected. It was probably the reason behind the smile on his face as he headed further into the room. OR, that smile might have been there since after dinner-time and after that slice of fruit cake he had. OR, it might be because one of his favourite professors also taught his favourite subject and was also his Head of House, something he hadn't quite gotten over yet.

Speaking of.... "Hey, Professor. I like your scarf," he said, shooting her a smile as he sat down somewhere close to the front of the room.

And yes, he remembered to bring his telescope.
__________________

Last edited by hermionesclone; 09-23-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: i suck
hermionesclone is online now  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League


MO
Lethifold
 
BanaBatGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 47,406

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Duncan M. Fletcher III
Minister's Office
Default
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Evil Twin | #DancingQueen | BHB

Brrrrrr. Why wasn't Beauxbatons located in the south of France, or better yet, somewhere like Morocco? Not that Bernadette had ever been there, but she'd heard it was lovely and dry and warm. She trundled up to the Astronomy tower, and then into the observatory, wrapped up nice and warm. Just a little bit of her NORMAL eyebrows were sticking out above her Gryffindor scarf.

"Hello, professor," she muttered through the muffling effect of her winterwear.
__________________
BanaBatGirl is offline  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)


DMC & DoM
Imp
 
SneakySeverusSnape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Earth, obviously.
Posts: 418

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Analiese W. Anderson (formerly Allanach-Senchuri)
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Giovanni F. Montanari
Magical Creatures
Default

11 pm seemed like a late time to hold a lesson. Especially on a Friday. But this was astronomy, of course. What was the point of astronomy if they didn't hold them at night? And why was it so cold? It was only November. Thankfully, Beauxbatons were in the Pyrenees and not the Alps. She'd probably already froze to death if it were in the Alps. Analiese tied her blue-and-bronze scarf a bit more tightly around her neck as she walked up the steps to the Observatory. The colour returned to the recently-turned 13-year-old's cheeks as she entered the classroom. She loosened her scarf and politely greeted Professor Sandhu.

"Bonsoir - I mean, good evening, professor.", she said. She had gotten used to being polite to the French students that she mixed up her French and English. Yes, she was polite to them even if they weren't exactly as courteous to her and her fellow Hogwartians.
__________________
https://k.nickpic.host/beYxJQ.png
SneakySeverusSnape is offline  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slytherin

MO
Billywig
 
hjhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Coffee pot
Posts: 3,610

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jillian Kim
Fifth Year
x4 x2

Ministry RPG Name:
Jonathan Kim
Minister's Office
Default
♣ PASTRIES | MCU and beyond | I am Heejin || The CAFE enthusiast | Music Fan ♣

The cold breeze was rather evident nowadays and the nights are becoming much colder that it was a few weeks ago. The robes helped but it didn't help enough however Jillian likes the November chill. It just means winter vacation is near. And who doesn't love that?

Who knows this class might have hot cocoa... or coffee to keep them all focused.

Jillian managed to get in time for Astronomy class. She walked in and smiled the moment she sees the professor. "Hello, Professor" she said after taking a deep breath. Yes, it's quite cold outside. Surprisingly, the classroom felt warm. She didn't expect it at all, kudos. She took her seat and set her telescope near her.
__________________
hjhm is offline  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
WWW Mod


DMLE & DoM
Norwegian Ridgeback
 
Felixir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 46,398

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kaiser
Sixth Year
x12 x12

Ministry RPG Name:
Jake Upstead
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Jasper Beaufort
Mysteries
Default
tag yourself i'm felix | daxton prince was here | schrödinger's tag

In contrast to how he was in pretty much all of his other classes, Kaiser was wide awake. It was an evening thing, second wind, or whatever. Oh, sure, he was still as much of a subfunctional human as he was during the day, just more awake about it. Not quite wired, but almost.

Kaiser entered the observatory - hands shoved into his pockets and school bag slung across his back - with what may have been a surprising amount of pep to his step, especially for anyone that may have noticed that he had to all but drag himself around the castle during the day. "Evening." That was for the professor, mostly.
__________________
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes ~ Grab Bag Challenge ~ Ficlets ~ Drabbles ~ My Characters.

May I never be _C O M P L E T E._ May I never be _C O N T E N T._ May I never be _P U R R F E C T.
Felixir is offline  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)



DERP & DMLE
Kappa
 
TakemetotheBurrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,411

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cecelia Elizabeth Summers
First Year

x12 x7

Ministry RPG Name:
Emilia Espinosa
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Mariana Medina
Environmental Protection
Default
elephant-astic•wanderlust•stay in the ninedaaays the original Taco Belle•look at the flowers✿

Cecelia was cold even though she'd taken extra care to dress for the occasion. Still, she wore a smile as she approached the Professor, offering a cheerful greeting. "Evening. That scarf looks extra cozy." She liked the colors, too.

Moving to take a seat, the blonde let herself get distracted by thoughts of what they might be learning.
__________________
TakemetotheBurrow is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
WWW & Potterdom Mod


DMAC & DMGS
Nargle
 
FearlessLeader19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Alicante, Idris
Posts: 198,976

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Claudine Blaze
First Year

x12 x12

Ministry RPG Name:
Megan Baines
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Lucas Riley Hawthorne
Games & Sports
Default
Alicia Lightwood- Bane ~ Mrs Steve Harrington ~ Friendly Neighbourhood Hufflepuff ~ WhittyBitty's

SPOILER!!: Bernie! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
Brrrrrr. Why wasn't Beauxbatons located in the south of France, or better yet, somewhere like Morocco? Not that Bernadette had ever been there, but she'd heard it was lovely and dry and warm. She trundled up to the Astronomy tower, and then into the observatory, wrapped up nice and warm. Just a little bit of her NORMAL eyebrows were sticking out above her Gryffindor scarf.

"Hello, professor," she muttered through the muffling effect of her winterwear.


Astronomy.

Claudine enjoyed the lessons. Professor Sandhu was a nice woman. Clutching her telescope (because she preferred to carry it in her hands), she stepped into the Observatory. "Hello, professor,'' was her quiet greeting. As usual, her expression was serious and unsmiling.

She was about to go off by herself (again, as usual) and literally hesitated for a few seconds before headed towards Bernie. "Evening,'' the first year greeted. There was no smile either but she and Bernie got along okay enough. Were they friends? Claudine didn't know, yet here she was.
__________________
FearlessLeader19 is online now  
Old 09-24-2019, 03:43 AM   #9 (permalink)



DMT & DMIC
Chizpurfle
 
LilFox06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 10,653

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Valencia Phillips
Third Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Tatiana Chernova
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Bennett Young
International Cooperation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Colin Roderick
Gringotts Wizarding Bank
Default
Sardine VIP || Shark Attack! || D A R T E R || Captain Oblivious

Valencia wasn't too excited about a late Friday night lesson. It was way past her bedtime. She required a normal amount of sleep.

"Hello Professor." she greeted softly as she passed, a yawn on the verge of emergence. Luckily, she did get the words out before the yawn took over... which the young Ravenclaw promptly hid behind her hand. She wasn't sure if she was the only one that was sleepy at this hour.
__________________
LilFox06 is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ravenclaw

DMT & DMLE
Lobalug
 
Fireheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bikini Bottom
Posts: 183

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Avalon Sinclair
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Grae Fairfield
Transportation

Ministry RPG Name:
Ryder Medina
Law Enforcement
Default

Thank goodness Avalon got a full 10 hours of sleep last night -- she certainly needed the extra energy for these late night Astronomy lessons. And the pumpkin juice she had downed with her dinner gave her an extra sugar boost as well. She entered the Observatory, hands still tucked into her robe pockets due to the chill outside. Sitting down next to her friend Analiese, she gave the professor a friendly smile. "Good evening, Professor Sandhu." She turned to the fellow Ravenclaw sitting next to her. "Hey, Analiese. How's your day been?"
Fireheart is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #11 (permalink)



DMC & DoM
Shrake
 
Nordic Witch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: [GMT + 2]
Posts: 12,620

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cole Vance
Fourth Year
x3

Ministry RPG Name:
Laurel Vance-Rose
Mysteries

Ministry RPG Name:
Rebecca Davies
Magical Creatures
Default
Swedishfish Girl! Madame Librarian! Jess's Soul Sister! Sweetest Swede!

Usually Cole was a night owl that liked staying up late, but not on this particular friday evening in October. He was grumpy, tired and cold. Dressed in uniform and with his backpack slung over his right shoulder, the blond lion entered the observatory wishing he was back in the papillionese common room sitting in front of the warm fire. He flashed over a smile in the professor's direction in greeting on his way to a seat. "Good evening Professor Sandhu!"

Taking a seat in a desk near Lucas he murmured to his housemate "Hi Lucas," before he turned to open his backpack. Unluckily for Cole the zipper broke and all the contence of his backpack spilled out on the floor including his telesccope with a loud CLANK as it hit the floor. Embarrassed and irritation bubbling up Cole started to retrieve his belongings off the floor muttering to himself.
Nordic Witch is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderator
St Mungos Mod


DIMC & MO
Moke
 
MadMadamMalfoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Storybrooke
Posts: 8,810

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Fantine "Tina" Dantes
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Hector Velez
International Cooperation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Vitani Kama
Paradise Piercings and Tattoos
Default
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Pirate Princess ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Fiery Phoenix

It had been a long week, and all Tina wanted to do was go to bed... but first she had to get through astronomy. Luckily she'd prepared for the late night with a couple of cups of strong tea from the tea room. Come on, caffeine! Don't fail her now! Oh well, she supposed it could be worse. At least the lesson wasn't on a school night! As long as she could sleep in tomorrow, she'd survive.

Tina wasn't the least bit fazed by the autumn chill, being well used to the French weather. Did everybody forget that she was actually from France and had attended this school for four years before she came to Hogwarts? There was nothing Beauxbatons could throw at her that she hadn't already seen! As such, she wore no extra layers over her uniform, though she had cast a slight warming charm on herself before leaving the Ombrelune common room. She entered the observatory, her telescope tucked under one arm and her bag slung over the opposite shoulder, to find the room a bit warmer than she'd expected but not uncomfortably so. "Hello, Professor Sandhu," she greeted, giving the woman a small smile as she passed on her way to the nearest empty seat.
__________________
* What if I'm trying but then I close my eyes and then I'm right back lost in that last goodbye?*

* What if time doesn't do what it's supposed to do? What if I never get over you?*
MadMadamMalfoy is offline  
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Slytherin

MO
Lobalug
 
love-for-HP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 173

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Blake Ryan
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alba Johnston
Minister's Office
Default

Braced for the evening chill in November, Blake made his way toward the Astronomy lesson. He very much enjoyed looking toward the heavens. This was one of his favorite classes despite the lateness of the day.

Upon his arrival he was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as chilly has he was expecting it to be. "Hello Professor." He added as he took his seat and started to pull out his telescope ... which was after all completely necessary for such a class.
__________________
love-for-HP is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)



DERP & DMLE
Ramora
 
laurange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kita's pocket
Posts: 5,139

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Simran E. Sandhu
Graduated
x9 x6

Ministry RPG Name:
Amrita Sandhu
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Laleh Kiani
Environmental Protection
Default
½ of Lauralie | Koala | The being in Ern's pocket | Baby Smurf | Prouf member of The Flock

SPOILER!!: hermionesclone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionesclone View Post
As much as he didn't like the idea of a lesson so late on a Friday, Lucas was willing to look past that. It was Astronomy! And he was sure that even if he didn't have a lesson right now, he probably would've tried to sit in the Observatory with a blanket and some hot chocolate. You know, if there weren't already people there.

Best of all? This classroom was a little.... warmer than he expected. It was probably the reason behind the smile on his face as he headed further into the room. OR, that smile might have been there since after dinner-time and after that slice of fruit cake he had. OR, it might be because one of his favourite professors also taught his favourite subject and was also his Head of House, something he hadn't quite gotten over yet.

Speaking of.... "Hey, Professor. I like your scarf," he said, shooting her a smile as he sat down somewhere close to the front of the room.

And yes, he remembered to bring his telescope.


The first to enter was, of course, one Lucas Dakest. Simran smiled -- she was quite fond of the Dakest siblings, they were rather sweet children. But if she had to choose a favourite, it would be this one. It had been a long time since Simran had seen such enthusiasm for her subject, before her return to Hogwarts. Undergraduate students tended to have had any love of any subject surgically removed by the A-levels.

And when he complimented her gryffindor scarf, she gave him a wink. "Thank you, dear. It's served me well over the years."

Hopefully his house scarf would do the same.


SPOILER!!: BanaBatGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanaBatGirl View Post
Brrrrrr. Why wasn't Beauxbatons located in the south of France, or better yet, somewhere like Morocco? Not that Bernadette had ever been there, but she'd heard it was lovely and dry and warm. She trundled up to the Astronomy tower, and then into the observatory, wrapped up nice and warm. Just a little bit of her NORMAL eyebrows were sticking out above her Gryffindor scarf.

"Hello, professor," she muttered through the muffling effect of her winterwear.


Next through the door was Bernadette Grantham, and Simran found herself smiling despite her best efforts to keep a neutral expression on her face. This particular first year just seemed to have that effect on people.

And they had matchy-matchy scarves to ward off the beginnings of a Pyrenée Winter together. Nice.

"Good evening, Miss Grantham."


SPOILER!!: SneakySeverusSnape
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySeverusSnape View Post
11 pm seemed like a late time to hold a lesson. Especially on a Friday. But this was astronomy, of course. What was the point of astronomy if they didn't hold them at night? And why was it so cold? It was only November. Thankfully, Beauxbatons were in the Pyrenees and not the Alps. She'd probably already froze to death if it were in the Alps. Analiese tied her blue-and-bronze scarf a bit more tightly around her neck as she walked up the steps to the Observatory. The colour returned to the recently-turned 13-year-old's cheeks as she entered the classroom. She loosened her scarf and politely greeted Professor Sandhu.

"Bonsoir - I mean, good evening, professor.", she said. She had gotten used to being polite to the French students that she mixed up her French and English. Yes, she was polite to them even if they weren't exactly as courteous to her and her fellow Hogwartians.


11pm was indeed a late time to hold a lesson, and if Simran had a better option, she would not have done it. Things as they stood, she barely managed to get her lessons in at reasonable hours, and when the OWL and NEWT exams drew nearer, she dreaded to think of how she would have to organise remedial lessons.

The second year received an amused twitch of the lips before Simran returned her salutation with a cheery "Bonsoir, Miss Senchuri." of her own. One of the few french words she knew.


SPOILER!!: hjhm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjhm View Post
The cold breeze was rather evident nowadays and the nights are becoming much colder that it was a few weeks ago. The robes helped but it didn't help enough however Jillian likes the November chill. It just means winter vacation is near. And who doesn't love that?

Who knows this class might have hot cocoa... or coffee to keep them all focused.

Jillian managed to get in time for Astronomy class. She walked in and smiled the moment she sees the professor. "Hello, Professor" she said after taking a deep breath. Yes, it's quite cold outside. Surprisingly, the classroom felt warm. She didn't expect it at all, kudos. She took her seat and set her telescope near her.


This lesson did not have cocoa, nor coffee, and had Jillian Kim took anything from the year previous, it would be rather clear. However, Simran had always been in full support of students bringing their own snacks and coffee to class, provided they did not make a mess of the place. And indeed, they had never messed the observatory up, in her time here.

"Hello, Miss Kim," she said, nodding at the girl as she set up her telescope.


SPOILER!!: Felixr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
In contrast to how he was in pretty much all of his other classes, Kaiser was wide awake. It was an evening thing, second wind, or whatever. Oh, sure, he was still as much of a subfunctional human as he was during the day, just more awake about it. Not quite wired, but almost.

Kaiser entered the observatory - hands shoved into his pockets and school bag slung across his back - with what may have been a surprising amount of pep to his step, especially for anyone that may have noticed that he had to all but drag himself around the castle during the day. "Evening." That was for the professor, mostly.


Simran rarely saw Kaiser these days, aside from when they ran into each other on the grounds, and in seminar lessons such as these. But while admittedly disappointed that he had not decided to take her class at NEWT level, she did understand that it was often just too much to ask.

All the same, it was a pleasure to have him here.

"Lovely to see you in my classroom again, Kaiser."


SPOILER!!: TakemetotheBurrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheBurrow View Post
Cecelia was cold even though she'd taken extra care to dress for the occasion. Still, she wore a smile as she approached the Professor, offering a cheerful greeting. "Evening. That scarf looks extra cozy." She liked the colors, too.

Moving to take a seat, the blonde let herself get distracted by thoughts of what they might be learning.


And another Gryffindor! Had they all come from the tower together? She could already see an overwhelming proportion of red-collared students. Not that she was complaining, of course. The fewer points she had to dock from Gryffindor for tardiness, the better.

"Good evening, Miss Summers," she smiled, tugging the scarf a little more snugly around her neck. "I've put some warming charms on it, so it's very cozy, even though it's much thinner than it used to be."


SPOILER!!: FearlessLeader19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post


Astronomy.

Claudine enjoyed the lessons. Professor Sandhu was a nice woman. Clutching her telescope (because she preferred to carry it in her hands), she stepped into the Observatory. "Hello, professor,'' was her quiet greeting. As usual, her expression was serious and unsmiling.

She was about to go off by herself (again, as usual) and literally hesitated for a few seconds before headed towards Bernie. "Evening,'' the first year greeted. There was no smile either but she and Bernie got along okay enough. Were they friends? Claudine didn't know, yet here she was.


The unsmiling face of the next child to enter dampened Simran's cheer only slightly, but it was far from obvious on her features. Perhaps she had some sort of reputation to maintain. That had always seemed like too much work for Simran, however.

"Good evening, Miss Blaze."


SPOILER!!: LilFox06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFox06 View Post
Valencia wasn't too excited about a late Friday night lesson. It was way past her bedtime. She required a normal amount of sleep.

"Hello Professor." she greeted softly as she passed, a yawn on the verge of emergence. Luckily, she did get the words out before the yawn took over... which the young Ravenclaw promptly hid behind her hand. She wasn't sure if she was the only one that was sleepy at this hour.


To tell you the truth, Valencia, your professor isn't a huge fan of keeping the younger students up too late either. She felt no guilt when it came to the NEWT students, though.

"Hello, Miss Phillipps. If you need to run to the washroom to wash your face, you may."

Try to stay awake, kid.


SPOILER!!: Fireheart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireheart View Post
Thank goodness Avalon got a full 10 hours of sleep last night -- she certainly needed the extra energy for these late night Astronomy lessons. And the pumpkin juice she had downed with her dinner gave her an extra sugar boost as well. She entered the Observatory, hands still tucked into her robe pockets due to the chill outside. Sitting down next to her friend Analiese, she gave the professor a friendly smile. "Good evening, Professor Sandhu." She turned to the fellow Ravenclaw sitting next to her. "Hey, Analiese. How's your day been?"


"Good evening, Miss Sinclair!" came the response, from a very approving-looking Simran Sandhu.

This child, at least, seemed to be cheery and to have had the foresight to have coffee before the lesson. Or something like that. She had no idea why there was energy here, but she was here for it.


SPOILER!!: Nordic Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Witch View Post
Usually Cole was a night owl that liked staying up late, but not on this particular friday evening in October. He was grumpy, tired and cold. Dressed in uniform and with his backpack slung over his right shoulder, the blond lion entered the observatory wishing he was back in the papillionese common room sitting in front of the warm fire. He flashed over a smile in the professor's direction in greeting on his way to a seat. "Good evening Professor Sandhu!"

Taking a seat in a desk near Lucas he murmured to his housemate "Hi Lucas," before he turned to open his backpack. Unluckily for Cole the zipper broke and all the contence of his backpack spilled out on the floor including his telesccope with a loud CLANK as it hit the floor. Embarrassed and irritation bubbling up Cole started to retrieve his belongings off the floor muttering to himself.


Simran smiled as she caught sight of Cole Vance coming through the corridor -- here was a student who generally seemed to be a night owl, which was always a good thing for astronomy. Not so great for... literally every other subject Hogwarts offered, though. Sadly, he didn't seem terribly jazzed today. Must be the weather.

"Good evening, Master Vance," she returned, gaze following him to his seat, where with the most horrifying of noises, she watched his telescope fall out of his bag and onto the ground.

"Is your telescope alright, dear? Any cracks in the lens? Why don't you bring it over here and I'll run a diagnostic." Was she breathing? Well, not really.


SPOILER!!: MadMadamMalfoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post
It had been a long week, and all Tina wanted to do was go to bed... but first she had to get through astronomy. Luckily she'd prepared for the late night with a couple of cups of strong tea from the tea room. Come on, caffeine! Don't fail her now! Oh well, she supposed it could be worse. At least the lesson wasn't on a school night! As long as she could sleep in tomorrow, she'd survive.

Tina wasn't the least bit fazed by the autumn chill, being well used to the French weather. Did everybody forget that she was actually from France and had attended this school for four years before she came to Hogwarts? There was nothing Beauxbatons could throw at her that she hadn't already seen! As such, she wore no extra layers over her uniform, though she had cast a slight warming charm on herself before leaving the Ombrelune common room. She entered the observatory, her telescope tucked under one arm and her bag slung over the opposite shoulder, to find the room a bit warmer than she'd expected but not uncomfortably so. "Hello, Professor Sandhu," she greeted, giving the woman a small smile as she passed on her way to the nearest empty seat.


The selection of Friday night was precisely for that reason, Tina Dantes, so Simran hoped that the comfort of a Saturday Morning Snooze would outweigh the general misery of having to be awake longer than twelve hours. Was the human body built for this? Not really. She, personally, just wanted her mug of sleepy tea and her bed.

"Hello, Miss Dantes," she returned, offering the girl a smile of her own as she watched her take a seat.


SPOILER!!: love-for-HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by love-for-HP View Post
Braced for the evening chill in November, Blake made his way toward the Astronomy lesson. He very much enjoyed looking toward the heavens. This was one of his favorite classes despite the lateness of the day.

Upon his arrival he was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as chilly has he was expecting it to be. "Hello Professor." He added as he took his seat and started to pull out his telescope ... which was after all completely necessary for such a class.


Necessary indeed, and the giant telescope in the centre of the room was all hers for the using! Simran hadn't been quite so pleased in a while. Perhaps she could persuade the Headmaster to upgrade the telescope at Hogwarts, when they got back.

... if they got back. Last she had heard, Amrita was going in with other people from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. She'd written a strongly-worded letter, of course, but that was hardly likely to stop her granddaughter.

But yes, there was a child here greeting her, it would be polite to return that greeting. "Hello, Master Ryan."


And it was on that cheerful note that she decided at last to check her watch, and noting that it was less than a minute, figured she might as well count down the seconds before closing the door. Seven, six, five, four --

She made her way to the door, and then after poking her head out to ascertain that nobody was going to enter the room in the next thirty seconds, shut the door behind her. Good. Now they could begin.

Clapping her hands together twice, she made her way towards the centre of the space and waited for the pre-lesson chatter to die down. "Good evening, everyone, and welcome to our first seminar lesson of the term. I'm sorry about the late hour, but my french counterpart could not find me a better slot, and I needed the observatory." Of course, like any good German citizen, the word french had more bite than strictly necessary, but otherwise, all was well.

"Let's start," she said, flicking her hand absently at the chalkboard behind her, setting the piece of chalk that she'd enchanted before the lesson in motion. "As we know, Astronomy deals with a great deal of Muggle science, but what are its applications within magic?"

On the blackboard, was written in a loopy cursive: Applications of Astronomy within Magic before the chalk gave a little wiggle and went back to its box.


OOC: Hello, everyone, and welcome to Astronomy Lesson 1! The lesson has now begun, so please do not post your characters arriving if you do not want them to receive IC consequences. Simply act as though they were there all along!
__________________
Why should you worry about the math teacher holding graph paper?

She’s definitely plotting something.
laurange is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)


DMC & DoM
Imp
 
SneakySeverusSnape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Earth, obviously.
Posts: 418

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Analiese W. Anderson (formerly Allanach-Senchuri)
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Giovanni F. Montanari
Magical Creatures
Default

Analiese untied her scarf as she greeted Professor Sandhu. "It's Anderson now, Professor.", she explained. She walked to her desk and hung her woollen scarf on the back of the chair. "My day's been alright, thanks. I'm just a bit tired. What about yours?", she answered in response to Avalon's question. She yawned and waited for the lesson to start.

Once the door shut, Analiese's eyes turned to Professor Sandhu. She thought carefully about the question before raising her hand. "The power of nature taken from astronomy can help to make new spells and potions.", she simply said. She couldn't be bothered to say more. She was too tired. She needed her bed.
__________________
https://k.nickpic.host/beYxJQ.png

Last edited by SneakySeverusSnape; 09-25-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
SneakySeverusSnape is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator
Gladrags Mod



DMC & DMAC
Bugbear
 
hermionesclone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 31,832

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lucas Sebastian Dakest
Fourth Year

x11 x11

Ministry RPG Name:
Zhuó Xiá Li
Magical Creatures

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson Douglas Whitlock
Accidents & Catastrophes
Default
Magikarp #3 | Pat's Strong Confident Other Half | Pees Like a Champion Unicorn Racehorse

Lucas couldn't help but smile at her words. She seemed really proud of her house, didn't she? Or, both of their houses because it was one house. That. Yeah. She still seemed proud, which only made him smile even more.

The smile only stayed when Cole came and sat down near him. "Hey! How are-"

CLANK!

.............

Oh. Uh. That was..... awkward.

Instinctively, the boy tried to slide down his chair until he was under his desk, something that was a LOT harder to do now that he was...... well, still growing. Long legs, y'know? But that didn't matter right now. He started gathering up the items closest to the desk and trying to set them back on the desk again. A little awkwardly but, well, yeah.

Some items and a lot of shuffling on his hands and knees later, he looked up at Cole again. "Do you think that's everything?" Because, well, they were his items, after all. And how was his telescope? No cracks, right? He was hoping.

It was only when Sandhu started the class that Lucas shuffled back to his chair and sat down again. Astronomy. Astronomy and magical applications? He knew about the muggle science part but that was more obvious. This was..... less so, and that's what made him start thinking. Really thinking.

Some time later, he slowly raised his hand up in the air. "Well, see, Astronomy's helped with muggle medicines, right? So I guess the same could be said for Healing as well." Because logic, right? "Especially if there are some potions or pastes that need ingredients picked at the right time or according to the cycle of the moon." Or was this just potions in general?
__________________
hermionesclone is online now  
Old 09-25-2019, 10:51 PM   #17 (permalink)



DERP & DMLE
Kappa
 
TakemetotheBurrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,411

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Cecelia Elizabeth Summers
First Year

x12 x7

Ministry RPG Name:
Emilia Espinosa
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Mariana Medina
Environmental Protection
Default
elephant-astic•wanderlust•stay in the ninedaaays the original Taco Belle•look at the flowers✿

Cecelia couldn't WAIT until she'd perfecting warming charms. She imagined her own scarf would be SUPER nice to have wrapped around her neck when it was all toasty warm and she smiled just thinking about it. ...Only she had to STOP thinking about it PRETTY quickly 'cause before she KNEW it, they were starting class!

Cool thing WAS, Cecelia was NEVER allowed to stay up this late at home. Well, not unless there was a special occasion, so THIS having class SO LATE thing made her feel VERY grown up. As for the question being asked, she wasn't too sure? She could take a guess, though! "It helps in relation to dealing with magical creatures. Like, well, knowing when a full moon is coming will help you know when mooncalves will be out." She nodded seriously...and then smiled a little, just glad she was able to come up with something she was happy with.
__________________
TakemetotheBurrow is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Dark Force Defense League


MO
Lethifold
 
BanaBatGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 47,406

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Bernadette O. Grantham
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Duncan M. Fletcher III
Minister's Office
Default
Professor Pink | Mrs. Bruce Wayne | I'm on a Goat | Glitterpuff | Evil Twin | #DancingQueen | BHB

Ooooh, enchanted chalk! Enraptured, Bernadette watched the fancy piece of chalk squiggle across the board, then she attempted to do the same thing the chalk was doing on her paper.

Applications of Astronomy within Magic

Now then, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Bernadette's small mouth hung open a bit as she tried to think of an answer. Of course she'd thought of one that built off Cece's response, but she knew better than to mention l y c a n t h r o p e s in any lesson at any point for any reason whatsoever anymore.

Nope, she wasn't falling for that one, not even from professors who may appear to be nice and kind toward Gryffindors! Hmm, wait, Bernadette DID have a DIFFERENT creature-related guess though. Her hand shot up with the same eager first-year enthusiasm as always.

"We can um, work with centaurs to study the stars, and make good star charts, and write down when the planets and stars move, and when we on Earth move, and then we can predict stuff, and thus I think we would be using astronomy in a ... divinit--dividend-- divination application?"

Erm? Was she speaking wizardese yet?
__________________
BanaBatGirl is offline  
Old 09-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Moderator
WWW & Potterdom Mod


DMAC & DMGS
Nargle
 
FearlessLeader19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Alicante, Idris
Posts: 198,976

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Claudine Blaze
First Year

x12 x12

Ministry RPG Name:
Megan Baines
Accidents & Catastrophes

Ministry RPG Name:
Lucas Riley Hawthorne
Games & Sports
Default
Alicia Lightwood- Bane ~ Mrs Steve Harrington ~ Friendly Neighbourhood Hufflepuff ~ WhittyBitty's

The shutting of the door meant that the lesson was going to get started. The lateness at which the lesson was being held did not bother Claudine, actually. She liked to be up later than students her age because it usually meant that less persons were around to disturb her.

Anyway…

Astronomy and its applications within magic?

Claudine listened to a few responses then raised her hand. “For Divination purposes such as recording birth charts.’’ Sure, Bernadette had mentioned Divination but Claudine just briefly expounded on a particular topic within the subject in which Astronomy would be most useful.
__________________
FearlessLeader19 is online now  
Old 09-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Moderator
WWW Mod


DMLE & DoM
Norwegian Ridgeback
 
Felixir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 46,398

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kaiser
Sixth Year
x12 x12

Ministry RPG Name:
Jake Upstead
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Jasper Beaufort
Mysteries
Default
tag yourself i'm felix | daxton prince was here | schrödinger's tag

"Lovely to be here again, Professor." Honestly, it was. She was one of the good ones, Professor Sandhu. All the same, Kaiser wasn't really sure if her being a cool professor plus the night time classes would have been enough to make him want to take Astronomy (which he did not find easy) at NEWT level, even if he hadn't only achieved a Poor grade in his OWL.

Onto the lesson then and, true to form, they opened with a question that Kaiser could not easily answer. Of course, every time someone else provided a response, he realised he had already known what they'd said but just hadn't made the connection, which was... frustrating.

So he had to think for... a while. Long enough that Sandhu would have been forgiven for thinking that he was just sitting out this question, but then Kaiser raised his hand.

"The process of being an Animagus?" he tried. Not that this was anything he was remotely interested in, even before hearing what little he knew about the process. "They keep a leaf in their mouth from full moon to full moon. And then they have to spit out the leaf in the rays of the second full moon." There was more to it and all, but that was plenty of information. Moon. Astronomy. She got the idea.
__________________
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes ~ Grab Bag Challenge ~ Ficlets ~ Drabbles ~ My Characters.

May I never be _C O M P L E T E._ May I never be _C O N T E N T._ May I never be _P U R R F E C T.
Felixir is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

Forum Manager



DMLE & DMAC
Sea Serpent
 
Cassirin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: *Nom nom nom*
Posts: 41,582

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Phoebe James
First Year

x7 x8

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Carrigan Howard
Accidents & Catastrophes
Default
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Phoebe was so so excited to be in class this late at night, and she had to keep from bouncing around and breaking something. Like a telescope. Those were probably terribly expensive, right? She was so busy admiring EVERYTHING - the moon, the stars, the other students, whatever - that she almost missed the question being asked.

Phoebe's hand shot into the air. "We do star charts and things, so it must be important where we are in the whole UNIVERSE. Like... does that mean that gravity and the laws of physics and all that make a difference in how magic is performed? That must be what it means." She tried not to make it seem like she was asking a question, since she was meant to be answering one, but she HAD just confused herself.
__________________
xoxox
Cassirin is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 AM   #22 (permalink)




DMGS & DMT
Kelpie
 
Bazinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,148

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Chloe McCarthy
Fifth Year

x11 x9

Ministry RPG Name:
Victoria Culloden
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Topanga Fuller
Transportation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Leon Brown
Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour
Default
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

Chloe yawned as she tried to stay awake and listen. Her early morning was catching up to her now. Maybe on nights she had this class, she should try not to wake up super early to exercise. That was a note she as going to have to remember to make.

She wasn't fully sure of the answer, but others seemed to have something to say so she listened and wrote some notes as they spoke. If she was being honest she never really thought much of the magical side, she knew it was about stars and planets, but that was about it and she had enough trouble figuring all that out.

Looking up she drifted from the conversation going on and started thinking about where certain stars should be.
__________________
Bazinga is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Banshee
 
Yaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Up, up, and away
Posts: 52,507

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Nora Barrie
Fifth Year

x1
Default
baekry●kailoma●kpop amateur● Spanglish,YO● mrs. diego boneta

Applications of Astronomy in Magic. Her brain was a little taken back, as she had been here and there all day and in the library the last hour before this class. Her hand was ready to be raised, thinking of a brief way to say it to give others a chance to talk.

She definitely raised her hand now, after a final thought in her head landed last minute. "The closeness of the moon from the earth, or some other celestials can affect the way some creatures behave in certain times of the year...this includes plants too." Not a wild guess but hopefully a pleasing answer.
__________________
[...coming soon
Yaya is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Moderator
St Mungos Mod


DIMC & MO
Moke
 
MadMadamMalfoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Storybrooke
Posts: 8,810

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Fantine "Tina" Dantes
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Hector Velez
International Cooperation

Diagon Alley Employee:
Vitani Kama
Paradise Piercings and Tattoos
Default
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Pirate Princess ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Fiery Phoenix

Tina had just enough time to arrange her supplies neatly on the desk in front of her before Professor Sandhu began the lesson. She focused all her attention on the woman, hoping that listening would help her stave off the sleepiness. Well, that explained the late hour! Why was she not at all surprised that the Beauxbatons astronomy professor hadn’t found a better time slot for them? Desmaris treated the Hogwarts students like second class citizens, so of course her staff would follow suit. Mumbling matagots, she’d forgotten just how snobbish Beauxbatons could be! Was that how she sounded to everyone at Hogwarts?

Tina mentally shook herself to stop her wandering thoughts. Astronomy now, rage against injustice later. Back on track, she copied the words written on the blackboard at the top of her notes as she considered the question. Astronomy’s applications within magic… her first thoughts went to divination, but somebody beat her to it. Then she thought of potions, how some potions ingredients needed to be picked or added at certain times in accordance with the moon phases, but that was already said too. She was beginning to draw a blank when something that Hufflepuff girl (Nora) said jogged her memory.

Her mind went back to that herbology lesson about spiral gardens earlier in the term. Her hand shot up, and she said, “Astronomy can be useful in herbology. It’s important to know the position of the sun relative to your location so you know when to plant and what direction your plants should face to get the amount of light they need.” She also knew that the moon’s gravitational pull affected the amount of moisture in soil, but she kept that to herself, as it fell in line with the other girl’s answer and didn’t need repeating.
__________________
* What if I'm trying but then I close my eyes and then I'm right back lost in that last goodbye?*

* What if time doesn't do what it's supposed to do? What if I never get over you?*
MadMadamMalfoy is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Slytherin

MO
Lobalug
 
love-for-HP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 173

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Blake Ryan
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alba Johnston
Minister's Office
Default

Blake thought about it for a minuet. What has astronomy taught him about his other areas of magic. "Well certain plants have to pick at certain cycles in the moon for potions and stuff." that seemed like a good answer ... yup ... he'd just leave it at that.
__________________
love-for-HP is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43 PM.


This Harry Potter and Wizarding World fan website and community is not endorsed by Hogwarts, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Warner Bros., Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Quidditch, Deathly Hallows, Sorcerer's Stone, Wizards, Muggles, No-Maj, MACUSA, Newt Scamander, Video Games, Half-Blood Prince, Orders of the Phoenix, Goblet of Fire, Philosopher's Stones, Chamber of Secret, Pottermore, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Eddie Redmayne, Cursed Child, or any other official Harry Potter source.

All content is copyright ©2002 - 2016, SnitchSeeker.com unless stated otherwise. Privacy Policy

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.3.2 © 2009, Crawlability, Inc.
Site designed by Richard Harris Design

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163