View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
crookshanks_kitty
Ravenclaw
Firecrab

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Parmis
Fifth Year
carrot lover (not) // torturously friendly // secret spy // HP nerd // <3 sparkles // who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybird View Post
I’m not going to get mad like I did last January, but I’m not going to lie…this does feel like a stab in the gut. I have no doubt in my mind that Desplat is a talented composer with a wonderful musical imagination. However, I really wanted to end the series with John Williams. He was the one who brought the films to life for me with “Hedwig’s Theme” and gave the films that depth and imagination on screen, like the books. It seems only appropriate that he would be the one to finish it off and bring the series to a close with a proper finale. It would be nice for someone to use “Hedwig’s Theme” throughout the series the way Williams did, especially with “Harry’s Wondrous World,” at the end somewhere when the new generation rides off to Hogwarts.

Oh well, we could have ended up with a simply horrid composer. At least we’ve got someone like Desplat to take us to the close and for that I'm grateful.
I completely agree with you. Although I have respect for Desplat's work and appreciate his efforts on part 1 of Deathly Hallows and I'm not trying to compare any of their work as both composers are great in their own way, but John Williams was the one who introduced Harry Potter to us with his memorable compositions which will always stand out in our minds and it's quite symbolic of Harry Potter to some extent. His music tone grasps the magic in these stories that we fell in love with and to be honest, no matter how great the other compositions for movies after POA were, they followed a different mode, all great in their own way, but still missing that significant sweetness and fantasy that can be heard in William's work. John William was capable of engaging you in his music in a distinctive way just as JK Rowling was capable of narrating Harry Potter in a manner that attracted her readers. Personally, to me it almost feels like John Williams gave more depth and brought forth a music that transformed that special magic written in books into reality and without him this whole Harry Potter experience that we've grown up with wouldn't be complete. He's part of a package that can't be separated especially now that the movies are coming to a close and we need the previous memories summed up towards the end.
crookshanks_kitty is offline   Reply With Quote