View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
3uzz3ee
Slytherin
SS Vaulter
Firecrab

Chapter One, Part Two:
Memory Lane

What are they saying they want Harry for?” I asked, frowning at the table. I felt Jamie’s eyes on me for a second.

Here... That’s their reason” I looked up to see Remus pull out a copy of the Daily Prophet.

WANTED FOR QUESTIONING ABOUT THE DEATH OF ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

I felt sick. I closed my eyes and tried to push Harry’s thoughts out of my head. The conversation moved away from the article almost immediately, towards the Ministry.

Now that Dumbledore’s dead, you- the Boy Who Lived- were sure to be the symbol and rallying point for any resistance to Voldemort. But by suggesting that you had a hand in the old hero’s death, Voldemort has not only set a price upon your head, but sown doubt and fear amongst many who would have defended you. Meanwhile, the Ministry has started moving against Muggle-borns” That part of the conversation caught my attention. I looked up quickly. “Look at page two
I grabbed the newspaper off the table as Hermione lifted her hand, too.

MUGGLE-BORN REGISTER
The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called ‘Muggle-borns’, the better to understand how they came to possess magical secrets.
Recent research undertaken by the Department of Mysteries reveals that magic can only be passed from person to person when wizards reproduce. Where no proven wizarding ancestry exists, therefore, the so-called Muggle-born is likely to have obtained magical power by theft of force.
The Ministry of Magic is determined to root out such usurpers of magical power, and to this end has issued an invitation to every so-called Muggle-born to present themselves for interview by the newly appointed Muggle-born Registration Commission.

People won’t let this happen!” Ron said quickly as I stopped reading, gripping the paper tightly, and feeling sick again.

It is happening, Ron” Remus said quietly. “Muggle-borns are being rounded up as we speak

But how are they supposed to have ‘stolen’ magic?” Jamie said, sounding slightly angry.

It’s mental, if you could steal magic there wouldn’t be any Squibs, would there?” Ron said, his fist hitting the table.

I know... Nevertheless, unless you can prove that you have at least one close wizarding relative, you are now deemed to have obtained your magical power illegally and must suffer the punishment” Remus said and I saw Jamie glance at me and Hermione. So did Ron.

I switched off again, my thoughts elsewhere- like the Forbidden Forest where my Centaur family was.

What’s Voldemort planning with Hogwarts?” Hermione asked and I chose to listen again.

Attendance is now compulsory for every young witch and wizard- it was announced yesterday” Remus said quickly. I stared at him with wide eyes as her spoke. “And it’s another way of weeding out Muggle-borns, because students must be given Blood Status- meaning they have proven to the Ministry that they are of wizarding decent- before they are allowed to attend

This time, I wasn’t the only person who felt ill at the latest news. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Jamie shared my thoughts.

It’s... It’s...” Harry said, struggling for words.

I know” Remus said quietly before hesitating.

Don’t even bother, Remus” I said quietly, causing the others to look over at me. “You already know that we can’t tell you what we’re doing” I saw understanding cross Harry’s face at my words.

If Dumbledore didn’t tell you, I don’t think we can, Remus” Harry said as I continued to stare at the old professor.

But I might still be of some use to you. You know what I am and what I can do. I could come with you to provide protection. There would be no need to tell me exactly what you were up to

Good and Bad feedback is welcome

I Know You Don't Believe Me, But The Way I, Way I See It,
Next Time You
Point A Finger, I Might Have To Bend It Back,
Or Break It, Break It Off...
Next Time You Point A Finger, I'll Point You To The
Mirror