Thread: DADA 1 (Part B)
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #180 (permalink)
Con_Stripes
Ministry

Mooncalf

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Oz Thickey
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Desiderius Alberda
Environmental Protection

Diagon Alley Employee:
Leon Odessa
The Eye of Sauron | Zan-y | Snake Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celandine View Post
Cela listened to the professor and did a bunch of nodding whenever he talked to or about her. Yup. But her attention was on Jake Upstead, expression hopeful and encouraging. When she saw him manage the shield, even though it was murky and thick, she actually applauded quietly as if to herself.

A soft smile and then she stood to take her own turn.

Revertoscutum?

She supposed it made sense. Scutum was a kind of shield right? It was an awkward kind of incantation though, so it was lucky the wand movement wasn't too hard.

"Revertoscutum!" Cela pointed her wand, her voice steady and the slight flick to her wrist a natural finish to the spell. Her shield was more blue than green, almost pearlescent, like the sheen of a bubble, though definitely see through. She noticed it was more like a wall, or half of a bubble than one than enveloped her completely. She supposed that made sense.

She whispered some notes to her Quill which obligingly scribbled them down.

She swung her wand a little and was pleasantly suprised when the shield moved with her. Hum. Wonder if she could move it off of her and onto someone else? She peeked at the professor and concentrated.

It felt odd, sluggish. But for a brief moment, her shield moved in front of the professor , curving away from Cela. Exhausted, she let it go and then her quill made a few more notes.
Truebridge blinked and watched a shield move about him briefly. He nodded approvingly but didn't say anything. That would be coming later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniiz View Post
Shields. Right. Evan took down his notes, and watched how to cast yet another shield. He guessed this shield would be useful for those armours, so he watched the professors and some other students very closely before he drew his wand. Wow, blue colour, was it? He knew what his colour would be, Chelsea's sky blue, his favourite colour. Pointing his wand right in front of him, he said "Revertoscutum." clearly.

Nothing happened at the first second, and he lowered his wand a centimetre when a blue wall-thingy appeared in front of him. Wow. It was fascinating. He smiled, and took a small step to look at it closer when it disappeared. Sigh. But it wouldn't stay any longer anyway. Though this was progress, right, considering the first part of the lesson? Being away from Marie and getting her out of his mind was effective.
"Better, Evan." Truebridge murmured, nodding approvingly. Better than earlier in the lesson anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances_With_Potter View Post
Cadence sat in her seat for a few moments, continuing to fill in her notes with more details, making sure to note the particular pronunciation of the incantation. Once she had finished with her notes, she tucked them away in her bag and climbed out of the bleachers, finding her own space sort of away from people. Before getting out her wand, she paced a bit, saying the spell aloud to make sure her articulators could form the word without getting caught up before she tried it with her wand. "Revertoscutum," she repeated over and over. Then, however, she lost an important point about the pronunciation. "Professor Truebridge," she called, raising her hand. "What syllable receives the emphasis? Is it the second to last?" she asked. Naturally she had been saying it with the emphasis on the second to last, but she just wanted to make sure that was correct.
""Re-ver-toe-skew-tum" Truebridge repeated slowly and clearly so that it was easy for Cadence to pick it up. He nodded approvingly at her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae LaRose View Post
Elvedina raised her wand. Giddy with excitement she waved her wand and cried "Revertoscutum!" ....and nothing happened. She tried again. "Revertoscutum! Revertoscutum! God damnit! Revertoscutum!" Well this is going well, she thought sarcastically. What am I doing wrong? With one last [failed] attempt, she threw up her hand. "Professor!" she called. "Professor Truebridge, d'you think you could help me? I can't seem to get this bloody spell to work."
"Focus." Truebridge answered. "You want to produce a shield, so you need to focus on that. Imagine glass is coming at you, sharp shards. Your shield will transform the shards of glass into sand. Simply practice, you have the incantation right."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione J. Granger View Post
Hermione continued to practice the spell. "Revertoscutum" she continued to say over and over but the only thing that came out of her wand were blue wisps of water. She grew frustrated with herself. "Professor" asked Hermione. "Am I doing something wrong. I have been at this for over half an hour, and all I have gotten out of my wand are small amounts of colorful water" she said.
Truebridge turned to another student.

"Show me. We'll work together on it." He encouraged.

Truebridge turned to address the class.

"It looks like many of you have got the hang of it now, so it is important to test it out. Remember this shield isn't one that will block things, it changes things. So not all circumstances are safe or appropriate to use it. Generally speaking, if you are fighting off a barrage that would weaken a protego or other barrier shield, then that is when you would consider to use this one. Also as a general rule, it will only revert magically created physical things, so a conjured animal would, with a stronger shield, be reverted to a younger form, or an egg or whatever it originally would have been, but a real creature would not be effected that way. Switching spells would also be reversed by this shield."

So now to practice it.

"You may continue practicing on your own or work in pairs or groups. The attacker will cast only the following, you may choose which; Orchideous, Incarcerous, Papilio, Glacius or Avis. If you don't know any of these spells have another student help you or only defend. I will help anyone who needs it."

ooc: the conjured spells will revert in the following way when they hit the shields to different degrees (which you may choose):

Incarcerous: Ropes to fibres such as hemp or cotton
Orchideous: Flowers to seeds or bulbs (depending on the flowers)
Papilio: Butterflies to cocoons or caterpillars
Avis: Birds to eggs
Glacius: Ice to water

You may choose others within reason. Nothing that would be harmful if it did not work. e.g Serpensortia is not allowed!

For those who are taking a turn conjuring something at someone with a shield, please let the defender RP how it changes.

Also, you can just pretend someone is casting at you if you like or if you can't find a partner. I'm fine with that.

Any questions, IC or OOC don't hesitate to ask

Last edited by Con_Stripes; 05-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.