View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
-MischiefManaged-
Slytherin
Murtlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterySt.Catchpole View Post
Ring*Con just sounds ... well lame. Is it some kind of LotR thing?
Ring*Con is definitely not lame. It's a weekend of having fun, all in the name of fandom. A bit like Collectormania or London Film & Comic Con, but centered around a few select fandoms and having a nice homemade feel to the event (it's only a feel though, the ppl who run the convention are professionals and it's all very well organised).

From what I can tell, Ring*Con is not nearly as commercial and money-driven as the American conventions seem to be (San Diego ComicCon, DragonCon, etc.) even though it is a business-based convention (as opposed to non-profit conventions). On the other hand, because it's not such a big business, they haven't had people like Peter Jackson as guests, like ComicCon did this year. Most of their guests so far have been supporting actors. Ring*Con started out as a Lord Of The Rings convention but over the years they have branched out to other fantasy fandoms as well. This year there were guests from Twilight and Harry Potter, along with some LOTR guests.

I've been there twice now, in 2004 and this past weekend, and had an absolute blast on both occasions. Over the weekend I saw one of Angelica's Q&A sessions and Matt's Q&A, and both of them seemed quite overwhelmed by the attention and support they received. I also took part in an acting workshop run by one of the LOTR actors and saw some absolutely hilarious performances and Q&As by the LOTR cast members (and some Q&As by Twilight actors too, just for good measure).

As much as I love our young Potter stars (and I really do, especially Matt now, having met him over the weekend), they're still quite young and have a long way to go as performers and entertainers before they are comfortable enough with who they are and what they can do to really put themselves on the line like the LOTR cast members do (and did over the weekend). The same goes for most of the Twilight stars that were in attendance.

Siriusly, a fandom is a fandom, it doesn't matter whether you're into Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter. Events like Ring*Con are about having fun, regardless of which fandom you prefer.