View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Paintbrush
Ravenclaw
SS 100 Triumphant

DIMC
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Harvey Jarvis
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Eleonora Bloom
International Cooperation
Horses Forever! l l Writer for Life l Yearbook alumnus

Wow, thank you thank you THANK YOU!

Glad you're all anjoying it. All right, well, I think we're about halfway through, this isn't a very long ficcy... anyway, read and enjoy, I guess!

----------

Chapter 5

Draco stared into the flames as the embers burned lower and turned to ash and the common room began to empty around him. Although his eyes stung with lack of sleep, his churning mind knew that that was a luxury the Slytherin could not enjoy, at least not for the time being. Too much was happening to him.

Lucius entered his mind, and Draco considered again with bitterness the wizard’s cowardice in his inability to leave the Dark Lord’s side. The teenager himself, along with Narcissa, had found protection under the wing of the Light Side, and Draco had even managed to spy on Voldemort for a while. That was before his parents had argued, however, and Narcissa had revealed to her husband the change in their loyalties. Lucius had, of course, recounted this to Voldemort, and the Order had spent a few weeks terrified for Draco’s life.

Nothing had happened to him, of course; Draco had a feeling his father had managed to diminish Voldemort’s wrath somehow because he did not want to see his only son killed. Ever since that night, though, Draco had neither seen nor heard from his father, and both he and Narcissa had moved out of the Manor for safety reasons.

There weren’t many who knew about this. The majority of the school still suspected Draco of being a Death Eater, of firmly supporting the Dark Lord, just as his father did. Although he hated this constant judgment on the basis of his Lucius’ actions, it was simply easier to let things be. He doubted he had the strength to explain everything to people, and besides, he knew there were many who would harm him if they knew the truth – mostly members of his own house.

To add to these worries, there was also the confusing situation with Hermione Granger. Draco had no idea how and when he started picking her out from a crowd, enjoying talking to her, sometimes even searching her out, as he had that day he found her in the Library.

He had been rather envious of the Trio for years, and it was a feeling he was aware of and one he despised. He was jealous of their loyalty to one another, their friendship and the ability to trust, that they had someone to trust in the first place. Aside from maybe his mother, he had nobody like that. Oh, he had ‘friends’, people he hung out with, but there was nobody he could fully trust, not even Blaise, with whom he had been close ever since childhood. But these relationships weren’t comparable to the one he knew Hermione shared with the two Gryffindor boys.

Just then, the entrance to the common room opened and the black-haired Slytherin walked in. Noticing Draco by the fireplace, Blaise approached him and sat down, watching the blond for a moment before speaking.

“So, who is she?” he asked with a grin, leaning back comfortably in his chair.

Draco turned to look at him, thoroughly surprised at the boy’s question.

“Who is who?” he asked stupidly.

“Oh, come off it, I know what a bloke looks like when he’s thinking about a girl, and you’ve been wearing that expression quite often recently,” Blaise shrugged, then looked at Draco carefully again. “So, who is she?”

“Nobody,” Draco muttered, looking back into the flames, but he could no longer focus on his thoughts. He thought he might as well try to get some sleep; that was preferable than having to avoid Blaise’s questions. “I’m going to bed.”

“I’ll find out anyway, you know you won’t be able to keep it from me!” Blaise called after him.