View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cassirin

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

Brennan was completely certain that this debate was rigged. Not only were the questions more difficult than any of his MANY previous debates, but Taylor seemed to already know the answers. She even seemed to know HIS answers, which was awkward. There was nothing so pathetic as a "I agree with my worthy opponent", even if there was really only one way to feel about the question. If your opponent claimed the sky was blue, you had better find a convincing argument it was actually green or sound like a complete hack.

It was very unfair.

That being said...

"While I agree with the fine points Miss Taylor has presented today, I believe it is first more important to examine our national laws in detail before bringing them to the larger international community. Which of our laws, for example, requires the international community to come to our aid as we struggle to bring a criminal to justice, and which crimes would waste time and energy we do not have to spare? If every crime required us to run bawling to our allies... well, can you imagine the sort of disaster Azkabhan would be after the last British-hosted World Cup?" He chuckled at the very idea.

"Once we are able to quantify which of our laws are so serious we will pursue criminals across national borders, we can then sit down with other countries to develop an international policy. Our Ministry will recommend a subcommittee form as part of the International Confederation of Wizards, providing a panel of representatives from many countries, who will be able to hammer out the laws and by-laws we can expect all participating nations to abide by."

"A last point, and one that is connected in a way, is that I believe the international Auror community is simply too autonomous. I know that when our Aurors are seeking information from other countries, too often they run into all sorts of legal walls. They have to go through other departments simply to file warrants or receive information. I propose we help to make all the Aurors, here and abroad, more successful through streamlining the legal channels and red tape."

He grinned at the wizards and witches in the audience. They were his friends and his fans, people who had voted for him for years and knew that HE knew how to take care of them and that he was in their court. Taylor would be very good in a position of leadership... someday, but it was still his hour.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest