View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Post Bonnie Wright talks Half-Blood Prince, David Yates, Deathly Hallows & acting

Bonnie Wright was recently interviewed about her much larger role as Ginny Weasley in Half-Blood Prince, working with David Yates, her filming schedule for Deathly Hallows, and the scary tones of the sixth film.

Quote:
We've seen Ginny progress with each film, and now she's almost as important to the series as the "Big 3," what's that been like?
"It's been great. I think when Ginny was possessed by the journal of Voldemort in the second film (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) that was a turning point for her. People had to take her into consideration. And now in this one she's come a long way and has some great scenes. The character is much older.

"David Yates is such a wonderful director for actors. He doesn't just focus on the magic and the computer animation. He's very focused on the acting, and the interplay between the characters."

You've obviously known Daniel (Radcliffe) for most of your life now. How was it doing the romantic scenes with him?
"It was a bit weird, but because I've known him for so long, we're very comfortable around each other. And I think that familiarity lends itself to the scenes. It was still very strange."

So, you've been surrounded by all this magical fiction since you were very young - do you even like genre fiction? Do you like all this Twilight stuff?
"No, not really. I mean, the stories and the books are brilliant. And yes, I've seen Twilight, and The Golden Compass. But I'm more interested in films that are more about the characters and dialogue."

This movie is genuinely scary. Was there a definite vibe on set of something a little more adult than previous ones?
"Yes, definitely. There are some pretty violent scenes. The Horcrux cave when Harry fights the Inferi, that is definitely frightening. And I'm glad that David did it that way. These are children's books, but the characters grow and progress, and there has to be some new adult subject matter introduced. It can't be as childish as the earlier movies."

And you're filming the final movie, or movies?
"Yes, I'll be done in September."

And what does life after Potter look like for you?
"I'll be going to film school in London, this fall. I'm very excited."

Congratulations. Will you keep acting?
"Yes, I think so. I'd like to do some more character-driven roles, or anything that I find interesting."
Source: BWO