View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Anna Banana

DMC & DMGS
Selkie

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Eliza Bellerose
Slytherin
Second Year

x1
Hiss!Roar!Growl!Caw! | Hermione's Double | The Little Three | Alecate

I voted for the first option. MOST of the fun with having a tag is earning it and having it come as a surprise. I'm one of those people who get over-excited over the little things (such as tags), and I just feel requesting them would take a lot of the fun away. I'll never forget signing on to SS at school one day and seeing my "Hermione's Double" tag (which was my first EVER tag and one that was given as a surprise). That was really special to me, and if I'd have asked for it, I think a lot of the meaning would be lost.

However...I do have some suggestions regarding the topic. My first is a question - Poll-wise, do we have to lump tags and post bit colors together? I'm asking because while I voted against any sort of requesting for tags, I would actually 100% vote for requesting post bit colors. I consider post bit colors to be the same as free-reign of editing your default posting color. I'm not sure how the administration aspect of this works, and I've only ever helped mod two sites before (and neither had the tag or post bit color option), but would we ever be able to change post bit colors ourselves? I'm assuming not, but would it be possible to separate the two options in the poll (depending on which option wins) and allow us to request only post bit colors?

I also have another suggestion. Still voting against requesting tags, would we be able to request color changes for our tags? I'm one of those people who change colors, siggies, avatars, etc, like I change socks, and I think it'd be cool to color-coordinate my tags in with my default posting color and post bit color.

Last suggestion I see "no requests" is winning, so this last suggestion is assuming the poll will end that way. Maybe it would help if more random, surprise tags were given out. There's a group of people on the site with the limit in tags, and then on the polar opposite side, you have a group of people with no tags whatsoever. There are also those who have been around the site for years and still have no tags at all. I do understand that it's impossible to reach everyone and there are also a lot of inactive/semi-inactive people roaming around, but maybe if there were a few more oppurtunities to get those random, surprise tags, more people could join in on the fun. And by opportunities, I still mean giving them out as a surprise.

I'm going to end this novel by addressing the "new members" talk. This is only my second term on this site (I started posting in January, 2008), so I can pretty much still identify with how I felt as a new member. Of course the site itself kept me motivated, but "working towards a goal" kept me motivated, too. I started noticing the tags after a few weeks on the site, and I started asking around trying to figure out what they were and how I could get one. When I finally learned what they were all about, I was really motivated to be as active as possible so I could try and get one (like I said, though, this was a motivation in addition to the motivation I had just from enjoying the site in general). I was also motivated to try and work towards becoming a house prefect, too. Those goals gave me something exciting to work towards. My point in bringing that up is that I think it would help keep new members active and motivated if there was something exciting to work towards (i.e., a tag, in this case.)

So, in a nutshell, this sums up my post:

Tag requests? No.
More tags randomly given out? Yes.
Post bit color requests? Yes.
Tag color requests? Yes.

Last edited by Anna Banana; 07-16-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Anna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote