View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
druidflower
Gryffindor
Nogtail

Hogwarts RPG Name:
*whistle*
NeeNee Omniscient Omnipotent Pie Maker

I create characters in much the same way that I write. I don't start out saying, "I'm going to create a character for SS today." Instead I let something inspire me. Often times, its a name that inspires me, it doesn't have to be wickedly cool, so far my character names have been rejected pseudonims for my branch writing. Josephine Hazel was a combination of one of my middlenames and the name of my best friend's cat. Faye Guidry was something I came up with for a semi-autobiographical story that dealt with the origins of my name and trouble people had pronouncing French names with a silent "U".

Josephine Hazel was inspiring to me because I thought that it was interesting that she was a Witch, and Hazel... witch hazel... hah? so then i gave her a big background with a cursed family line, and an affinity for healing - witch hazel. then i got around to what she looked like. hazel eyes. and then i worked from there.

the thing my uncle taught me about writing, and the same goes with character making, is you can have a few broad lines to follow, but don't start with a goal in mind. don't start to GO somewhere, start FROM somewhere, and see what you come up with.