View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
DragonBear
Formerly: Compootor
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Raziel Khaine
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gidwyn Grimshaw
Law Enforcement
I'm dreaming with my eyes wide open

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post

"Correct you are, Khaine." If the boy kept that up, he wouldn't have problems with his OWLs at the end of the year. They all still had those, in case they were wondering. This "field trip" to Beauxbatons changed nothing. "Jinxes do fall under the category of dark charms. Nice to see someone's doing their readings." Something he expected them all to be doing but he wouldn't digress.

"And they would be beneficial should you be trying to create some distance between you and your pursuer." As it so happened, the knockback jinx was particularly useful against certain dark creatures, but he supposed the boy already knew that.
Razz struggled to contain his pride at the Headmaster's acknowledgement, and a tiny bit of it may have escaped through the grin on his face. "Thank you, headmaster, I wouldn't dream of falling behind in your class!" he beamed with a grateful nod. In-fact, the boy was several chapters ahead on account of his habit of reading textbooks for fun... But he wasn't going to say that. He didn't want the other students to think he was weird. Maybe after 4 years of putting up with him they already knew that, but he wasn't going out of his way to advertise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post

"As we did with a few of our spells, I'd like you to tell me one disadvantage of using it." Advantages were typically easier to come up with but realizing disadvantages and weighing them carefully was important when trying to defend. Not weighing everything up carefully could have disastrous results. "I'd like an advantage, too, if you can think of one, but I'm looking mainly for disadvantages."
Again, Razz' hand shot up at the question. He wasn't first to answer this time, but he'd make up for it by coming up with a really, really, really good answer... Or maybe he'd just whiff it completely and bring shame upon his house. Either way, he made his attempt. "Well, sir, one disadvantage could be that, as a counter-able jinx, anyone with any knowledge of it could probably escape the bubble rather quickly.. And seeing as we're being taught about it here, I'd wager we aren't likely to come across anyone wanting to do us harm that couldn't. In that way, It'd be more of a hindrance to a pursuer or a temporarily disabling move than a deescalation of a conflict. Unless the opponent was disarmed, maybe." He thought about it for a moment before continuing. "Although, any sort of creature that isn't capable of any outward magical effects would be unable to escape, I suppose that's an advantage. That it can't be escaped by physical means."