Thread: The Book Nook
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jessiqua
Fanfiction Mod
Newbie Mod

DERP & DoM
Poltergeist

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Abra Pepperwood
First Year
x9

Ministry RPG Name:
Archer Burton
Environmental Protection

Diagon Alley Employee:
Louisa Pepperwood
Leaky Cauldron
Sassenach | RAVENPUFF | Sing me a song of a lass that is gone | bookDRAGON | #awkwardturtle<#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I would love to hear what everyone is reading right now, what you want to read next, why you're reading what you're reading, how big your To Be Read pile is...
I'm reading The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker, I'm not even half way through and it's beautiful. It's about a Golem that was brought to life by a disgraced Rabbi in 1899, on their way from Poland to America. He dies during the voyage, and she arrives knowing nothing on arriving to New York. Another Rabbi finds her, realises what she is, and brings her home to protect her. And the Djinni was trapped in a copper flask by a Wizard a few centuries ago in the Syrian Desert, he finds himself being released from it in New York by a tinsmith. The two go about discovering how they might fit into the world, and eventually meet. AND I'M READING IT BECAUSE the library had a copy a few weeks after I reserved it and it was a recommendation of a friend of a friend.

My physical TBR pile is about 6 books long at the moment. I do a thing where I put LOTS Of books on hold at the library and they all come at the same time lol. My Goodreads TBR shelf is about 450. And growing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurange View Post
My to-read pile is so big that the other day I dedicated a whole afternoon to setting up a catalogue so I can keep track. Also it's not at all complete but just looking at it makes me all excited!

I started The Song of Achilles on the bus yesterday and it's SO SO SO good it makes me want to be book-monogamous. Almost.
Ooo that's a cool app! I like to just use the Goodreads 'want to read' shelf, but it gets so big and I don't organise it very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by natekka View Post
My TBR pile is huuuuuuuuuuge. I kept buying eBooks when they're cheap, so my kindle is full of books I haven't read yet. Plus I have an Extra™ spreadsheet that catalogues all the books I want to read, all the books I own, all the books I've read, and tracks all the books I buy each month.
That certainly is extra that's a great way of doing it. I had previously made a shelf on Goodreads for the books, and ebooks I owned that I hadn't read, so I knew what I actually HAD. I did the same with Kindle books, so I forget which ones I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
I'm currently reading The Library Book by Susan Orlean. I'm trying to integrate more non-fiction into my reading diet, but I don't like biography or self help. The Library Book is about the fire at Central Library in LA in the 1980s that destroyed 400,000 books, but the author weaves in the history of the library and her own love of books and libraries. It sort of feels like a love story to books and it reminds me how much I loved going to the library before ereaders.
That sounds like a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Sooo did anyone ever read Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell? It's kind of a play on the Harry Potter Fandom .....
YUS I did! I remember it being a fun read

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckyLinJi View Post
I feel terrible for saying this but i picked up the first Spellslinger book purely based on how the book looked. The pages are colored at the side, each book a different color and when i saw it my brain was like "i need that" but as i read it i knew i was gonna like the serie...thankfully.
Oh, I absolutely judge a book by its cover. I don't only judge it by that, but if it's a magnificent cover I'm more likely to be drawn to it. I'll read the blurb and go from there, but I love me a pretty cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natekka View Post
I got an email today about the Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge and I'm curious to know if any of you will taking paaaaart. Here is the link to the pdf with the details.
I LOVE THOSE THINGS Perhaps I will do this although for me it will be WINTER Reading Challenge

...I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies, this is me.
Jessiqua is offline   Reply With Quote