View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
natekka
Dark Force Defense League

DoM & DIMC

Bicorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Jade Archer de Leon
Slytherin
First Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Olive Gracae-Ryans
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Clara Rider (née Wilde)
International Cooperation

Ministry RPG Name:
Riley Archer de Leon
Mysteries
Little Fox | ˝ of Lauralie | Ravenclaw with a Hufflepuff heart and a Gryffindor soul | #HouseNATARIANA

I'll kick us off by recommending a few of my favourite books that I have read so far this year! *realises as I write this that there are SO MANY books I want to recommend*

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia (Sa16+) | Genre: Contemporary

CW: Mental health (anxiety/depression and some mention of a parent's suicide)

This was the first book I read this year and I instantly loved it! It's about when fandom and fame meet. It's good representation for anxiety and I really enjoyed the characters. Without giving too much away, it centres around Eliza, the girl behind a very popular webcomic series. The story explores what happens when her identity is no longer anonymous.

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (Sa16+) | Genre: Fantasy

CW: Violence

LOVED. THIS. BOOK. I can't wait for the sequel! I'm terrible at summarising books, so here's the blurb from Goodreads:
SPOILER!!: blurb
They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orďsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orďsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.
Scythe by Neal Shusterman (Sa13+) | Genre: Science Fiction

CW: Death. Violence.

This book has such an interesting premise! What if natural death had been eradicated, could be reversed, and technology took care of almost all of humanity's needs? The population is managed using Scythes who are individuals trained to 'glean' a number of people yearly without bias. The book doesn't contain too much graphic violence. It talks a lot about death, but in a way that we don't in real life.

You are Honey!
natekka is offline   Reply With Quote