View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #104 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Desiree Y. Marchand
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Tina was getting discouraged. She used to think she was good at arithmancy, but now not so much. This was twice in a row that she didn't have anything to add to a class discussion… well, not so much that she didn't have any ideas, just not any she felt confident enough to say. That hadn't happened to her since she was a little first year back at Beauxbatons. She was supposed to have all the answers!

Once again, the answer she'd thought of turned out to be nothing remotely like what the professor was looking for. Figures… The dark-haired Ravenclaw looked up as Professor Sissay spoke, listening more intently than ever. She could only hope that whatever this new concept was would click with careful attention and extensive notes. Okay, so arithmaelthilogy...a method of revealing an object's essence that had no need for words. That made sense so far.

Tina's mood instantly lifted when she heard they would be learning a number revealing charm. She may not be one to blurt out thoughts that may or may not be correct, but spells were something she knew she was good at! Both of the surviving father figures in her life were former charms professors, so it was kind of expected. She watched the spell demonstration closely, jotting down the incantation and wand movements in her notes. Emfanizo Arithmou, slow clockwise movements to the right, horizontal movement when the first number starts to appear… okay, got it!

Tina made her way to the desk at the front of the room to pick an item. She was hoping to get one of the tiny elephants, but unfortunately they were all taken by the time she got there. Her eyes were drawn instead to a colorful flutterbye bush. Gently setting the bush on her desk, she picked up her wand. First things first, practice the wand movement and incantation separately before putting the two together. She made a few slow clockwise movements with her wand, then followed with a horizontal motion. That part was pretty straightforward.

After repeating the movement a couple of times, Tina moved on to the incantation. “EmfaNIzo arithMOU,” said carefully and evenly. That spell was a mouthful, but it was nothing she couldn't handle. “Emfanizo arithmou, emfanizo arithmou…” Okay, enough practicing; time to try actually casting the spell! She brandished her wand, making clockwise circles as she said, “Emfanizo arithmou!” At the first sign of gray smoke forming a number, she moved her wand horizontally, and a series of very faint numbers appeared. Was that first number an 8 or a 3? Or a 6? It was too hard to read!

This was no good. She'd have to try the spell again. “Emfanizo arithmou!” Tina said again, this time with more power in her voice, as she made the wand movement. Once again, gray smoke shot out of the tip of her wand, and this time a sequence of numbers was clearly visible:
8 1 2 8 7 6 9. Tina repeated the numbers over and over in her mind as she jotted them down, trying to commit them to memory just in case they faded before she could finish writing. When she was done, she glanced up at the board to cross reference the numbers she had with the correct result. She'd gotten it right, thank goodness!

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...