View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Birchwoodmom

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

Text Cut: replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
More then the benefits...Derf could only think about how problematic this type of reading could be. That list continued to grow and grow inside his head as well. He knew that some ancient cultures believed shadows to represent the soul, that much he had come across time and time again in his readings and stuff...which sorta brought on a whole new light to Peter Pan being super attached to his and how it also seemed to have a mind of its own...

Wait...what was the question?

Oh. Right. Pros and or cons to this method...to which Derf really could only find cons in it...and was also reminded of the few times, before he had dropped Astronomy, that Stephanie had tutored him in the Earth's rotation around the sun and sundials and all that.

Honestly...he much preferred nephelomancy.

"Having, you know, a reliable light source and then how close you are standing to that light source will change your reading dramatically...but also, you know, if you're using the Sun as your source and then tracking it that way...the orbit. No wait, sorry. Not orbit. Rotation. But the rotation influences shadows and all that because of the Sun's position so like...there are just a lot of factors that come into play and doesn't seem like you can really get an pure reading? Or like...you know...you could manipulate results by picking a certain time of day to do it that best suits the results you want? Or like...where you stand in association with the light? So like...even if we all were to circle up around the bonfire...all of us are at different angles to the light source, the fire, so like...of course shape and stuff will be different, you know?"

Maybe? He had rambled again.
Kassie tried not to smile as Derf went on. He was making excellent points, even if they didn't flow out in the smoothest way. "Those are all important things to take into account, Mr. Ashburry-Hawthorne. And, yes, a person could try and manipulate the readings to be more in line with what they hope an outcome will be. However, I find that those with a pure heart and mind will have great success with this type of reading."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2204 View Post
“Sorry professor, when you say ‘once believed’, do you mean that it’s not believed now? So really, if it’s not believed to be true now, if we were to try, we wouldn’t get any results?” Was that confusing? He hoped not. He just…well… it just seemed illogical for them to try and tell the future this way when it doesn’t work. Still, who was he to turn down work when it was readily available?

Will the smallest of shakes of his head, he continued to listen to the Professors instructions, the head of the fire creating dancing shapes around the circle now. Holding his hand up in the air now, he answered the question “Uhhh… I guess if you could see the future of someone or yourself, you could make informed decisions maybe? Or help someone? But I guess you have to be careful just in case you read it wrong or if it does inform your decision and you try to change the outcome, you could just be making it worse or just enabling what you saw” but he wasn’t exactly sure you could see anything but your shadow anyway so what did it really matter?
"We now know that we are able to communicate with the dead and it's not tiny bits of our souls escaping into the shadows. Muggles have a harder time with this, but you and I know that communication with a ghost can be easily done. We will be reading the shapes our shadows make, as Mr. Ashburry-Hawthorne mentioned before, like tea leaves, and using those for predictions." Ravenclaws...always full of questions. She loved them for it but worried they would become too consumed with the how and why to free their minds and experience the readings. "Those are very possible issues that could arise from such predictions. We must always be careful with what we learn and not allow it to control our futures. They are a tool, not a promise of an outcome."

"Before we jump in and do our readings, I would like for us to practice in a more controlled environment. Would everyone please follow me over to the white sheet and we will continue our lesson from there." Kassie waved everyone over and moved closer to the white sheet. "Please be careful to not kick the line of sticks about 4 meters in front of the sheet. The logs to the left of the screen have a stack of papers with some shadow guidelines and what they can mean. I would like for everyone to take a paper and stand behind the line of sticks."

Text Cut: Shadow sheet

Quote:
Shadow reading sheet:

Short shadow: Predicts unfavorable outcome or a no answer to a question

Long shadow: Predicts positive outcome or a yes answer to a question

Shadow bending left: Reveals that you are looking to or are stuck in the past

Shadow bending right: Reveals that you are looking to or waiting on the future

Shadow that is lengthening: Predicts growth and positivity

Shadow that is shortening: Predicts failure, sadness, negative outcome, loss

Shadow showing additional arms, legs, or other body parts: Predicts that you are helping or being helped by those around you, either living or deceased.

Shadow with missing arms, legs, or other body parts (excluding the head): Represents the loss of a friend or loved one has happened recently or is soon to come. (not always by death)

With a flick of her wand, she lit a lamp, illuminating the back side of the sheet. Then she walked behind and stood between the light and the sheet. "I'm going to demonstrate how body movements can change shadows." First, she moved close to the sheet, making her shadow darker and smaller. Then, she moved away from the sheet and closer to the light, making her shadow lighter and larger. Finally, she moved around at different angles, making parts of her body appear elongated and others bent in odd ways. "Now, it's your turn. I would like for each of you to have a chance to get behind the sheet, creating the shadows, while the rest of the class calls out what they think they see and what that type of shadow can predict."

OOC: Mini activity time. Have your charrie go behind the sheet and move around to let the class practice reading a shadow and read a shadow of another. This can be done in as many or as few posts as you like. Please be as descriptive as possible so others are able to guess what the shadow looks like. I always welcome catching up posts, so please feel free to jump in at any time. We will continue in about 72 hours. If you have any questions, skype/PM/VM me.