View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
TakemetotheBurrow

DERP & DMLE

Grindylow

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Everleigh Evans
Ravenclaw
Fourth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Luca Benetti
Hufflepuff
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Emilia Espinosa
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Mariana Medina

x12 x7
elephant-astic•wanderlust•stay in the ninedaaays the original Taco Belle•look at the flowers✿

Emilia was quiet, attentive, watching their department head carefully. She could tell she'd missed the mark and she went over what she'd said in her head, trying to figure out where. "I wasn't clear in my answer," She admitted after a moment of reflection. "The fidgeting, the self grooming, those are tells. Those are ways to identify lying. Once you've seen those, you know you're not getting to hear the real story." That was the first part she'd wanted them to answer, yes? "While I would continue a dialogue with the person, it wouldn't be to allow the lie to continue. It would be to give them a chance to start over while feeling heard and understood. I understand this must be hard for you. I've seen these situations countless times and we can work through them, but we'll need to start from the beginning and revisit what really happened... Things like that. Once a person feels like they're talking to someone similar to them, they usually open up more." She clasped her hands and fell quiet, realizing rambling wouldn't help bring her point home.

The next question was considered as the brunette looked around the room, imagining the scenario as if it were happening right in front of her.

"If they're not unequivocally evoking their right to counsel, I'd bring them in. Make sure to caution them before questioning them. They could've coordinated stories beforehand, but if a story seems too consistent, every detail agreed upon, it's certainly something that would raise my suspicions. I'd try to throw unexpected questions in the mix, watch their eye contact, see if they're hesitating before offering their point of view on things. They could be each other's undoing. It's normal for people to witness the same event a little differently, everyone having a different perspective, so in the case that they're telling the truth, there may be some chatting between them to try and piece together an accurate account of what happened, which will help you in the long run." She drummed her fingers against her leg. "I think allowing them to lawyer up just gives them more time to come up with a solid story that'll help potentially guilty suspects get off."