View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 03:00 AM   #51 (permalink)
FearlessLeader19
WWW & Potterdom Mod
Newbie Mod

DMLE & DIMC
Wrackspurt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Dhruv Vihaan Khanna
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Aryan Atreyu-Rehman
Slytherin
Second Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Nova Leigh Paton
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Brody Hawthorne-Melo
International Cooperation

x12 x12
~ Mrs. Steve Harrington ~ It be like that sometimes.

SPOILER!!: Max! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
When he'd started feigning the whole stomach pain thing to get out of class, Max had been expecting Professor Stewart to just tell him to go back to his dorm and sleep it off or something. What he hadn't anticipated, was being told to visit the Healer.

Still, a visit to the Hospital Wing had to better than running around with bats and helmets and still clutching his stomach for dramatic effect, Maxton went ahead and retrieved the note from the professor.

He did feel a little pang of guilt.... Professor Stewart had always been decent enough but nope. No running around. He'd done enough of that last term, thank you very much.

With a quick thank you, and more moaning and groaning because owww poorly tummy, Max turned and slowly trudged back towards the castle.

Kay was still a little suspicious but then again, she could not feel what Max was feeling, if he was feeling anything at all. It was better to be made a fool of than to let something untoward happen to him. In any case, she would be checking in with Healer Adara.

SPOILER!!: Sterling! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykitty View Post
Welp....there it was. Archer had actually been about to agree with Patrick about the croquette. But no, apparently it was cricket, which she knew absolutely nothing about. Not something she had ever really been interested in, to be honest. The bug or the sport.

"Could it be played like croquette? Maybe a more extreme version of it?" Since there was obviously a need for padding and such. Oh, wait. Something suddenly popped into her head about it. "Can't matches end up lasting for days on end?" Why she'd never taken much of an interest in it. Unless it was Quidditch and she was playing, she didn't want to be stuck watching a single game for days, thank you.

Kay laughed quietly. “I can see why anyone would be deceived. The equipment are almost similar but no, it cannot be played like croquette. To answer your third question, the maximum days a match lasts is five days but this depends on the format of cricket played. Adi will be explaining that shortly.’’

SPOILER!!: The Silent Ones! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokimoto View Post
The next question was for Jackson to just listen because Caolan had already begun going into detail on the sport. This suited Jackson, since he really had no idea how to play the game. This was kind of embarrassing since it was apparently so popular, but he had never been that interested in researching it. All he could think about was how much he now wanted to play some baseball… not to mention he loved the thought of wizards playing baseball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post
Rylee smiled at Stewart promptly plopping her tush onto her seat when it was mentioned. As both Stewart and this new man whom introduced himself as Aditya Atreyu-Rehman her eyes widened slightly. He played for the Hereford Hippogriffs. That explained why he may have looked vaguely familiar to her at her. However that wasn't what had gotten her full attention. It was when he said he owned a Hippogriff and Dragon reserve! Now that was awesome! Only he didn't focus on that part and continued talking about sports.

Taking a good look at the equipment that was laying around, she was able to quickly eliminate a large selection of sports. Everyone seemed to be convinced they would be playing Cricket today. It made perfect sense really given all the things that were laying about. So rather than repeat what was being said again, Rylee remained quietly waiting for the lesson to move on.

And move on it did. Once again there really wasn't much point in explaining how the game was played. Both Daisy and Caolan had done a great job at that. What she did do though was pull out some parchment and a quill to take down notes just to keep herself busy. Plus who really knew what would be on any exams she might have to take in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saz Hale View Post
Ash was amazed that they were going to be playing cricket but a couple of her fellow students had gone over the basics so ash just took down notes on what they said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
Nailed it. What a guess.

Or. Well. Okay. Educated guess.

... Okay. Stolen answer. Fine.

The point was, Abra had given the right answer and avoided looking like a fool (which definitely would have happened if he'd answered with such confidence and been completely wrong), so he was considering that one a success. They were, however, still only in the first few minutes of class, which meant plenty more opportunities to mess something up.

Like the very next question. Ummmm... No. This wasn't one where he could just tag onto someone else's answer, and actually Abra didn't actually know anything about cricket, other than that you probably hit a ball with a bat, and that answer paled in comparison to some of the others that had been given, so... he just kept quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
what did he know about cricket.... abso-lutely-nothing. He was going to let the rest of the students take over answering all he knew was that they hit something with a flat bat. It was a way more running intense version of baseball. And no actual field like baseball. He wondered what the actual appeal of cricket was to people.

Why would someone want to potentially play a game for hours on end. Although he supposed Quidditch technically could go for days on end. He listened to all of the other students possible answers and took note of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMadamMalfoy View Post
So quidditch hadn't been inspired by cricket... that was good to know. Tina nodded in reply to the professor's answer, though she still felt a little sheepish for asking. She should've guessed quidditch predated cricket! At least Professor Stewart didn't treat it like a stupid question, but then again, it wasn't her reaction Tina was worried about. She wouldn't put it past some of her classmates to make fun of her, and she really didn't want to lose points and get sent to the headmaster's office for hexing anyone today… or ever. The less she encountered Headmaster Trent, the better!

Blink, blink. Tina stared blankly at the sports equipment, trying to riddle out the answer to the next question. How was she supposed to guess how to play cricket? She'd only known of the sport in name before this class started. All this not knowing was really starting to annoy her! She felt completely out of her element; she was used to having all the answers and knowing exactly what to say.

Tina thought for a minute. So the bats must be used with the balls… was the object of the game to hit the balls and try to knock over one of those things (wickets)? Or maybe it was to stand in front of the thing and guard it… bat the balls another person throws at you away from the thing? Both? Neither? For the second time in a row, Tina didn't have an answer to a question. And she'd had such high hopes for this class!

Not wanting to look stupid again, Tina kept quiet this time. She listened carefully to the answers from people who seemed to know what they were doing (Daisy and Caolan), trying to make a mental note, but she was even more confused than ever! Striker's end? Bowler? Wicketkeeper? Bowl the batsman out? They might as well have been speaking Gobbledygook… although if they had, Tina probably would've had a better chance at understanding them!

“I hope every single one of you are paying attention,’’ Kay encouraged. “Your colleagues are on the right track.’’ Yes, it was noted that some were making notes but she wanted to remind them that they were able to learn from their classmates in addition to herself and Adi.

SPOILER!!: Zoryn! <3 *snorts at this reply*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaBlack View Post
........ Uh.

Was there a question somewhere in there because all Zoryn heard was "blah blah blah blah." Like no offense (ACTUALLY, ALL OFFENSE!!!!!!!!) but when would they be learning something interesting in this class? Zoryn didn't care about this croquette sport or whatever.

"Crickets are also an insect," fyi. Incase Professor Stewart didn't know.

Zoryn was SO GOOD at Muggle Studies.

“Excellent point, Ms. Spinnet. One must remember to specify which cricket they’re referring to if it pops up in a conversation.’’ Any sarcasm was carefully kept out of her voice because the aim was not to be sarcastic. Kay meant it when she said Zoryn made an excellent point.

SPOILER!!: How Cricket is played
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Daisy had to really think about the question since she hadn't watched a match for years. She slowly raised her hand. "Well, from what I can remember, there is a batsman or woman at the 'striker's end' in front of the wicket. A person bowls the ball which in a test cricket format is red to the batsman/woman that's on strike. The batsman/woman aims to hit the ball to score runs. More can be scored if the ball hits the boundary."

Daisy paused. "Sorry, Professor but that's all I can remember."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottiepot View Post
YEEEEEEES!

How the Professor didn’t know that Caolan knew what they were doing from the huge grin on his face and the excited bouncing from one ball of the foot to the other was beyond him. Of COURSE he knew the answer but he just didn’t see the point in repeating what everyone else had said, it wasn’t like he could add anything on to it after all without going in to far too much detail and he was sure she’d ask a lot of questions about it later. “I thought I’d let everyone else have a go first” he replied to her question.

The next question however, that was all his to answer and he was going to with full gousto. Professor Stewart explained the history of Cricket and he nodded along until..

The hand shot up perhaps a little too eagerly. “Daisy has gone over the basics so I will elaborate. The game is played between two teams of eleven players. In addition to the batsman who is the one trying to score the points and the bowler are the wicketkeeper who stands behind the wicket and the fielders who are the rest of the bowlers team. They all try to bowl the batsman out in between his runs by knocking the wicket down. This progresses through the whole of the batsman’s team and then swaps to the bowlers team who then become the batters.” Was that simple enough an explanation? “It can go on for hours depending on the Umpires call - they’re the ones who decides who is in or out. Obviously the team that has the most runs wins but the points awarded in runs don’t just include each time the player gets there and back but also depends on how far the ball is hit and whether it bounces.” Yeah he was going to stop now, he was making this sound more confusing then it should be. But truth be told Cricket wasn’t that simple but it was an amazing game. Unlike football it could last hours and the scores could be ridiculously high.

Naturally, Daisy knew about how it was played. She did mention that her father played the game. Kay listened keenly then nodded when the explanation was done. “I could not have put it over better myself, Ms. Swann. Well done!’’ Next, she called on Caolan and was beyond thrilled that he was able to expound on Daisy’s explanation. “Correct as well! Everyone, I hope you were paying attention for these two explained the sport quite concisely but with the right amount of details.’’ Caolan’s knowledge of cricket would also explain why he was practically bouncing among the tree stumps like a pinball in excitement.

“I’ll now hand you back over to Adi who will explain the formats of cricket briefly.’’

SPOILER!!: HG Chloe! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Chloe was fully distracted from the question of SPORT. Mostly, she just didn't know anything about Muggle sports, but also her arms were on FIRE. And mostly mostly, she wanted to talk to the guest professor about his other job.

She raised her hand eagerly, lowered it to scratch her shoulder, and then raised it again. "Sir? Mr. Atreyu- Rehman? Could I talk to you after class about your reserve? Also... um... pogs?"

Bounce, bounce.

Out of the corner of Adi’s eyes, he saw a hand raised and was sort of surprised when the owner addressed him. “Hey! Sure! Just come find me when it’s over.’’ He grinned and wondered what it could be about; what exactly about the Reserve, that is. Maybe she had a thing for dragons and wanted to see them. Or maybe it was the girffs?

Anywho, it was his turn once more to be in the spotlight for the lesson. Adi was ready to get down to business. “Your classmates were rather were correct in explaining the general and basic layout of how the game is played.’’ He leaned down to scoop one of the balls from the ground. Calmly, he tossed it from one hand to the other. “There are three common formats, adopted by the ICC for both the men and women games. For kiddy cricket, the format aimed towards children, the game can be much shorter.

“Before I begin explaining, there is a term you need to know. Balls are bowled in sets of six. Six legitimate bowling deliveries from the bowler to the the batsman or woman. Those six deliveries make up what is called an ‘over’. Illegitimate deliveries can come in a variety of ways which are determined by the umpires and let’s say if five deliveries are legal and one is not, that illegal delivery must be bowled again. And again and again until it’s legal. That’s right! It doesn’t matter the number of times but it MUST be six legals in total.’’

Adi tossed the ball into the air and caught it with his right hand. “The first format is called Test Cricket. Honestly, it’s the least exciting, folks. Both teams wear purely white and the setting of the field is quite different from the other formats. Ninety overs are usually bowled per day. You heard right. NINETY. Team 1 bats first and scores let’s say… 500 runs. If team 1 decides that they’ve made enough runs or every member of their team gets out, Team 2 bats. Team 2 needs to score more than 500 runs to put themselves in the lead. Whether or not this happens, Team 1 bats again and sets another target. Team two has to reach this target with the remaining overs left. Complicated, stamina demanding and a very trying format, that one. It’s enjoyed by a lot though’’ The guy wasn’t here to lie, just give the facts.

“Let’s see how good of a catch you guys are. Heads up!’’ He randomly tossed the ball towards the students after giving them a moment to prepare themselves. Who would catch that?

“Next, we have One Day Internationals or ODI. Here, fifty overs are bowled for each side. Team 1 scores X number of runs within that fifty then Team 2 tries to beat that target in their fifty. That one’s a lot more simple, right, guys?’’ He grinned around at them all before grabbing another ball. “The last format’s the most exciting.Twenty/Twenty! Also known as T20. That’s T-2-0. The name says it all. Played generally in the same manner as an ODI except with the use of twenty overs. The differences in the two include the placement of the fielding team, that’s the team not batting, and the number of overs a player from each side is allowed to bowl. This format’s so exciting because given the limited number of overs, each team tries to make the most runs as quickly as possible and the batsmen can go crazy hitting the balls among the spectators or out of the stadium or take other wild risks. Like we said earlier, cricket is very complicated and there are lots of rules and guidelines hidden under a general match. It’s too much to go into, trust me. I didn’t learn ninety percent of it until I was about fifteen and I had been playing since I was five years. So don’t go worrying about if it all sounds confusing right now. The best way to understand is to actually go about playing. That’s what your Professors and I aim to have you do today.’’ Because yes! He saw you and that wave, Noble! Adi grinned back and tossed the ball to the man. “Hi, Professor!’’ The guy was a big fan of that daughter of his. She had SO MUCH talent!

Oh, and back to you, Professor S!

SPOILER!!: Professor Noble! HI, welcome! <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermygirl View Post
There weren't many reasons why Noble would be found approaching a Muggle Studies lesson, but today was an exception. Mainly because it was on one of his favourite sports, the same sport his daughter played professionally, and his daughter's coach happened to be the one visiting today to demonstrate. It was also fair to say he didn't particularly look like his usual self, usual dark robes replaced by pristine white trousers, white shirt, and a white v-neck knit sweater with the emblem of an Invictus horse.

After giving a small wave to Adi to announce his arrival, the potions professor folded his arms across his chest and remained on the edge of the makeshift classroom of treestumps for the moment. He didn't want to interrupt Kay's flow or disturb the students - some of whom were admittedly already looking rather confused. Seeing Caolan's excitement made a smile spread across his lips though; it was clear the boy was already a fan.

It was at this moment that Kaysha took note of Ignatius standing there. Their work relationship was still strained and terms ago, she had given up on trying to be his friend. Some still blamed her for the events involving the Williams’ twins. But to work with him for lessons? This she was more than willing to do this. The woman beckoned him over. “Thank you for coming,’’ was all she said. When Adi had brought up that he was friends with Noble’s daughter and suggested that the elder Noble drop by, she was all for it. The more experience the three adults collectively had to pass on, the better of an understanding the kiddos will have. “Our second guest has arrived, everyone! I’ll leave him to explain to you how and why he has a soft spot for cricket.'’

Kay gave Noble a moment then called to the class’s attention. “Professor Noble, Adi and I are going to take you through the basics: Bowling, batting and fielding, in that exact order. Adi, Professor, you may demonstrate. After they have done so, each of you students take a ball and begin practicing on a wicket. We’ll be here to assist.’’ In the meanwhile, she was going to set up wickets for the kiddos. They were set a few feet apart from each other.

Still grinning, Adi addressed the class. “Take a good look, kids! The type of ball I’m about to bowl is called a ‘yorker'’. Quickly, he set up a wicket at a side free of any student. “I typically hold the ball this way- cross seam. What I’m aiming to do is to bowl at the wicket because that’s what the batsman will be protecting.’’ Gripping the ball properly, Adi ran towards the wicket, raising the hand gripping the ball over his head. As he neared the wicket, he aimed towards it and let the ball fly. The ball hit the wicket with a satisfying SMACK! that sent it tumbling backwards. A perfect Yorker!

OOC: Hihi! The mini activity is divided into 3 days. Day 1- Bowling practice! This is the time to have those kiddos have fun with that ball xD Just no pelting each other because a cricket ball hit can be extremely painful and can sprain/break a bone. Don’t worry about needing help with bowling and we’ve moved onto batting. I will allow catch up. Adi, Kay and Noble will correct your kiddos with their bowling techniques. They are aiming for the wickets Kay has set up. One wicket, one ball per kiddo. Feel free to make as many posts as you like. Batting practice starts in 24 hours.

The ones in books who are as perfect as they can be.🌺🌺🌺