View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #125 (permalink)
DaniDiNardo

MO & DMLE
Crup

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Emmerson N. J. Cambridge
Gryffindor
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alexa Christina Cambridge
Law Enforcement

Ministry RPG Name:
Kodee Chosen
Minister's Office
x12 x12
Yeah I broke that mirror, so what? ll NOT backward ll Official Gryfferin ll Lemon's favourite

SPOILER!!: Replies

SPOILER!!: Mallari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheBurrow View Post
is Was Vita particularly proud that her answer had gotten praise? Yes. Inside, the sixth year was beaming with pride. Outwardly she did her best to maintain a calm expression and bowed her head when a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. So far, so good.

Falling into step with the others, the brunette let her senses kick into full gear as she followed the headmaster on their journey. As for his question...

"Hinkypunks use light to lure travelers off track, giving them a false sense of hope. A light in the dark isn't always a good thing where they are concerned, particularly because they have been known to produce fireballs."

"Right again." A few of these students were on a roll. She didn't make an attempt at what she was likely to do if she found herself in the situation he presented but the information she was provided was valuable if not standard and with as many first years as there currently were, it would do them some good to get in this sort of knowledge while they still could.

SPOILER!!: Gunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Moose View Post
Mark's answer was more about the Redcaps but it seemed the Headmaster was more focused on the other aspect of his answer on getting picked off if you were separated. Which Redcaps could do if they so chose to. It turned out that the lesson was about Hinkypunks as he had deduced earlier in his thoughts and from the other classmates answers. The whole scenario just screamed Hinkypunk.

He paid no mind to the House Elf that appeared because it did not concern him. But he did wonder what the House Elf had to do in the Amour Gallery. Probably just dusting the suits of Armor in there. Nothing else but that to do in there it seemed.

Removing his wand and lighting the tip of it with the illumination charm never crossed his mind. He was so focused on the Headmaster NOT FROM ANY KIND OF POTION MIND YOU...but just from being entranced by the lesson at hand kept his mind busy with Questions and Answers. He hurried along and began to follow the man...NOT BECAUSE A POTION MADE HIM WANT TO! HE JUST WANTED TO OKAY? It was for lesson purposes. If he didn't he would be separated from the group and get lost.

"They will sometimes wail or holler to attract attention and make unsuspecting travelers inspect the noise as well as the light. As though it were an injured person, perhaps." He responded to the Question, forgetting to disguise his voice to avoid being pegged as the Headmaster's loyal servant.

Aaaand the voice was back to normal. Good. He wouldn't have to worry about the poor boy hurting his throat in a vain effort to pull attention from himself. The lot of them had been out of their minds the night before. No one could hold things against him personally.

"Also correct." He replied, paying keen attention to the surroundings. It wasn't because he thought something would jump out at any second, no, he knew when things would jump out. He just didn't want to end up tripping and bringing down a few of them with him inevitably. "It can be a real conflict for some. The desire to help versus the nagging feeling it's only a trap. Not being able to shake that you may have left someone in danger."

SPOILER!!: Slinkhard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimothy View Post
What could go wrong? Basically, Drewett could give an entire list of what could go wrong in this setting, in this class, in this school, in today's wizarding society and community. He was also rather good at spotting the pros and cons of things and situations. He very much preferred running away and noping his way out of all the possibly awful things in life. Like creatures ranked higher than XX, for instance. This Ravenclaw was not having that.

Drewett chose to remain silent as he listened to his other classmates' responses. He was already making a bit of a face as he visualized what they all said, and he was glad not everyone could see the face he was making. Hinkypunks...werewolves...gytrashes...trees....sur e. Basically most of the things that he'd rather avoid.

.........But keeping their wands in their holsters? Drewett was about to pull his wand out and now he was somehow gaping. Aside from being outside of Hogwarts and summer tutorials at the Stemp House, he never walked around without his wand with him. So much more when he felt limited to his other senses besides vision. This was making him rather anxious already and although he wanted to believe that the headmaster would never allow them close to serious harm, it was also hard to trust any member of the Hogwarts staff given what they've been through last term...and the term before that...and the term before that. Opting not to get into trouble, however, he remained quiet but kept his fingers on his holster. Just in case. He wasn't taking it out though.

Back to the question. As if it were precautionary, Drewett tried to mentally remember what the rank of this creature was until he released...it probably wasn't ranked. He wasn't sure if it were ranked higher than XX, and he would know. He spent a considerable amount of time trying to know what creatures he wanted to avoid. With that, he awkwardly raised his hand. "I-I believe they're not ranked in the m-ministry classification of creatures, sir... p-probably because they might n-not be considered creatures...." They were wispy smoke creatures, right? But not... like... a creature one can physically touch.

He hoped he made sense.

"Very true." Not the point he'd been hoping to bring up with the hinkypunks but an interesting one nontheless. "There's a bit of debate there, one I confess I haven't followed too closely regarding the classification of hinkpunks. They're a little harder to nail down. Between terrain and their own form, they can also be a little difficult to tie get a ton of concrete data on." Not from a lack of trying and he didn't suspect they'd stop trying any time soon. The brilliance of research.

SPOILER!!: Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charely Potter View Post
Wow.

That was all Taddy could think as he settled with the class with the discussion on their surroundings and how to survive any outcome. This was really useful to the twelve-year old. Maybe that's why Mark found him so cool, he thought. Tad was starting to agree. Now they were on the move, okay. He got right up and he only had the lead of the Headmaster and his lantern, oh, and of course his classmates. He wasn't bothered by the dirtiness of the situation. There wasn't anything overtly dangerous to him at the moment, but look were deceiving.

So what did he know about Hinkypunks? "Er... The Hinkypunk is a dance step. You know, you do the hinkypunk and then you turn yourself around." Wasn't that what it was all about? "I mean, that would kind of work here too right? Turning around and making sure nothing else funny was going on with all the lights." Surely.

"I.......that's....not where this is going." He almost stopped for that answer, almost did, but remembered the long string of students coming up behind him in the dark with nothing but his lantern for light. A sudden stop may have been quite jarring. "Hopefully you've been paying attention to what your classmates have said. It will prove useful later on."

SPOILER!!: Prichard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post

Rylee wrapped an arm around her shoulders giving her a gentle squeeze. "It takes some getting used to but I'm always up early. If you're worried about oversleeping I can stop by your dorm and knock on the door for you." There was no harm in checking in on her cousin and her dorm mates as well. "Mm... I uh... yeah... pumpkin juice isn't high up on my list anymore either..." And she would much rather not speak of things that happened last night. Even though the situation was mostly taken care of it still made her stomach do flips.

Rylee nodded only slightly in response to the Headmaster though there was a small sense of happiness coursing through her that she had been correct. And they were moving on!

"Isla keep close, yeah?" she whispered to the younger lioness. It wasn't that she didn't trust her cousin, it was simply knowing her knowing how lessons like this went. With Isla being a firstie and never casting any charms yet, Rylee was going to be keeping as close an on eye her as possible. Along with several others that she was used to keeping an eye on for various reasons. "Be careful."

Each step was taken carefully and with as much preciseness as she could manage. The goal was indeed not to trip, break her neck and die or fall on a jagged rock and miss out on a fun lesson as the Headmaster so kindly put it. Which truthfully had the ginger lioness smirking to herself.

"When hit with the Lumos Duo Charm they solidify and become blinded by the light so you can defend yourself against them quickly," she answered raising a hand into the air. And hopefully whatever defense used against them was done properly and effectively at that.

"Keep the discussion to the topic at hand." He chided, raising the lantern to ensure he got a good look of the bushes he was about to push through. The man had been patiently waiting for the girl to end her conversation she'd started when she arrived but it didn't seem to be happening, so he would end it himself. "Save the non-class chatter for after you've left here."

Wasn't that hard, he promised. "But you're correct. Lumos duo is a good way of stopping them in their tracks for the very reason you've mentioned."

SPOILER!!: Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottiepot View Post
Oh good. He might have been behind in his studies compared to his classmates but he was able to answer questions logically and get them correct without making a fool of himself. However everyone else’s complex responses about specific magical creatures and whatnot did make him feel a little bit insecure. How much would he have to learn before the end of the year in order to successfully pass his OWL’s? He was half listening to his fellow students responses when a house elf magically appeared in front of the Headmaster. He hadn’t made his mind up about the poor creatures yet.

The class progressed and Caolan followed behind the group in front not wanting to seem too eager but close enough to be able to listen to everything that was being said considering it was too dark to use his notebook to take notes. Guess he’d have to store it all in his noggin’. He kept one eye on his feet and the other on the environment in front of him ducking under branches and almost walking into another student in the process.

As for the lesson subject Caolan knew the basics which had already been covered by the answers from the other students so he didn’t raise his hand to answer the questions. He’d probably say something stupid or too basic and he just wasn’t prepared for the ridicule. He DID have an answer for the second question about what they could do to prepare themselves. “Carry your wand at all times.” It was simple but correct right? Just don’t go out without your wand or else you’re screwed.

Well.

Yes.

"All wizards should have their wand with them at all times." Yes, he was aware he'd told them all to keep theirs holstered, but it was still with them, ready for use once the time came. "There are a few forgetful ones among us and I have no doubt they have a harder life." He'd accept that answer.

SPOILER!!: Winklebleck
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Huh, so class wouldn’t always be like this. That was a good thing, Cordelia concluded when she saw the expansive swamp around her. Everywhere was just mud, mud, mud. Mud. Why did it have to be mud? As much as she enjoyed outdoor activities, Cordelia was not overly fond of mud. Mud was icky and sticky. Here she was, stuck in it with no way out for the duration of the lesson. This was so gross. There was one thing Cordelia hated almost as much as her useless pancreas, and that thing was mud. Funny thing for a kid who loved playing outdoors to hate, but that was just how life was. What were the issues with the terrain her? Hello, mud was clearly the answer. ”You could get stuck in the mud and not be able to get out or get lost in the dark.” This being defense against the dark arts, how to not get stuck in mud was probably not the direction the professor was going to take the class, but this was her first day of classes ever after all. The first year girl didn’t have any other information to draw from.

Cordelia trudged along through the mud, the ground squelching beneath her feet, as she followed the headmaster through the bog. Oh, hinkypunks. Never heard of them before. What was a hinkypunk? She carefully followed the headmaster’s instructions as she followed the light. Wouldn’t want to get lost in this bog. Dying was not allowed in her very first class ever. Cordelia wanted to survive past her first day, thank you very much. Now, to answer the headmaster’s question, what did she know about hinkypunks? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Surely the headmaster wasn’t expecting answers from the first years regarding hinkypunks. The second question posed by the headmaster, however, she could answer. ”I don’t know anything about hinkypunks, headmaster, but if I were traveling like this and saw lanterns leading off in different directions I guess I would try to stick to the path I was on to avoid getting lost.” What did different lanterns going in different directions have to do with hinkypunks? Hopefully by the end of this lesson she would have the answer.

Stuck in the mud, yes. He didn't give verbal comment to the girl's words for the fact he'd already addressed it several times when her classmates brought it up but he would take a crack at the later statement.

"Sticking to the path you were originally on is a sound decision." He agreed. "I would like you to, however, consider a scenario in which the bog is known for lanterns that help travellers. Ones you're meant to be following." He wasn't saying she was wrong, he was simply asking her to consider another angle now that she'd already thought of one.

SPOILER!!: Livingston
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppySara View Post
"Aren't they the ones that carry lanterns and can hurl fireballs at you?" Josie had to keep herself from gulping at the idea. Being locked in a dark room like last year seemed like a walk in the park suddenly compared to the possibly of being burned to a crisp... but the other question kind of stumped her. She couldn't run away considering the chance of a fireball to the back... and clearly following them could lead to her being injured in other ways... Plus what if she followed one of the lights offended the others and again she was facing multiple balls of flame being thrown at her.

"And pray that death at least is swift and painless..." Only halfway joking since she didn't have a better answer to offer.

"Merlin, I thought I was morbid." Jagged rocks and broken necks...and now praying for swift and painless death.

Circe.

"I don't recommend sitting and waiting for death to take you if you've got a choice. This lesson exists to ensure that should you encounter one of these things--or several--you'll be able to handle it."

SPOILER!!: Duncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphora View Post
Isla knew she could always count on Rylee to make her feel better. Rylee offered to knock on her first-year girl's dorm door to wake them up. Aww... how nice of her to do that for her! "Oh Rylee, I don't want to trouble you every morning. But I do appreciate your kind offer!" she smiled brightly, squeezing her older cousin's hand. Isla just wanted to become more independent and learn to be responsible for her own time.

"Okay..." Isla muttered a reply back as she huddled close to Rylee. Not once letting her hand go as they tread carefully across the rough muddy terrain. Her impulsive need to reach for her wand was growing stronger each time they took a step deeper into the dark abyss. "Rylee...I'm scared..." She might have been placed in Gryffindor house but that does not mean she was immune to the fear of danger and darkness.

Hearing about the Hinkypunks made her feel wary about her surroundings too. Rylee did say that if they aimed Lumos duo towards them, they would be blinded and frozen?! If that is true, shouldn't they be reaching for their wands now! Rylee made sure to hide behind Rylee if the creature decided to jump out of the blue and scare them.

"You too." He'd already cautioned the older Gryffindor this one had been talking to and now he would caution her. Nearly to the mini activity and they were both still chatting. "Save the non-class chatter for the corridors. I need you focused on the lesson and not distracting those around you."

She was doing herself no favours not answering the question. It made the chatter more an issue for him. Wasn't hard to answer what she'd do in the given scenario. Not knowing about hinkypunks was one thing but the other question was entirely open ended and required no prior information.

Perhaps if she hadn't been talking, she could have thought up an answer.

SPOILER!!: Carden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
Yes, professor. TREES.

Max got the impression Headmaster Trent wasn't a fan of his answer, but personally, he thought it had been a cracking one. Oh well. Hands shoved deep in his pockets, the Slytherin tagged along at the back of the group, not really paying attention to all the talk about Hinkypunks.

He was more bothered about his shoes right now. And the state they were getting in all this muck. Eurgh. Gross.

He was hungry, grumpy and all the talk about bogs was starting to make him actually NEED the bog. He figured there'd be no bathroom breaks this lesson though.

As for what actions he'd take if he found himself in an area like this??? Nothing. Why? Because he WOULDN'T find himself in an area like this. Not ever. SIMPLE.

If he weren't so busy trudging through the terrain and distracted by other answers, he may have noticed the lack of response. As it so happened, he didn't know the boy and therefore didn't miss his response when none came. Nothing in his mind alerted him to the boy's verbal absence.

He continued walking.

SPOILER!!: Vitvinin
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh its Erik ok View Post
So no wands and Igor was already nervous even tho this class should be safe since they are still in school...well he hoped they were and not like teleported somewhere else dark and boggy. He kept his wand away and followed Headmaster. Dont follow just the light only his voice and well his light

Sounded easy enough even for this first year. Ok this was beginning to to be fun for him with all the muddy ground and bushes and stuff.

He was only a first year on his first official day at school and his knowledge of hinky whatever was much much lower than say dragons or things cool like that. So he was going to focus no not tripping or breaking his neck or falling on jagged rocks or you know not dying on his first day.

Which might be a record unless someone did at the feast in the past.

Same thing with this one. Distracted as he was and as unfamiliar as he was with the students, there was no way he'd notice the absence of a response from a student or two.

For now, it went right under the radar.

SPOILER!!: Anderson-Belfort
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole black View Post
Did someone say danger? Maxie felt like this lesson was cutting right through the heart of him. He was afraid of a lot of things, you see. Most of them had to do with other people and judgement but there was plenty of the mundane fear too.
The majority of those around him had jumped in with ideas ranging from insane - to terrifying - to very real. Being eaten was just about the worst way Maxie thought you could go, right next to dying of starvation and thirst. Prolonged and pain, or short and very painful. Maxie shuddered, but kept his eyes and attention fixed on the headmaster. Truth be told, he was keenly interested.

Oh... Hinkypunks. He didn't know much about Hinkypunks other than they were dangerous and obviously lived in dark places. Maxie followed along wordlessly, carefully measuring each step least he - indeed - fall and break his neck. "Um.." He'd taken out his grandfathers wand despite the Headmaster's word, but only to have something to hold onto. He knew very few spells and none of them would be enough to keep him safe if anything decided to jump out and attack him.

"Well..." If he were following several lights, that must have meant one was the true light and the others, uh, weren't. So, how did you figure that out? "W-well.. I'd probably..." Maxie began, blinking in the darkened classroom. "I'd p-probably try to l-leave something behind.. s-so, someone c-could find my trail or I'd know i-if i accidentally doubled back." Or he'd just sit there and not doing anything- actually that sounded like a much better answer, Maxie wanted a do-over.

"Interesting." The man was half distracted while he looked both to the left then the right. They would be approaching their destination soon. He...just had to remember which way it was. "What happens if you get taken by whatever lured you away and aren't able to double back?"

Believe it or not, the man was genuinely curious about this. Did the boy have a backup plan? Was there another idea zipping around inside that head? Everyone needed a backup plan.

SPOILER!!: Spinnet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArianaBlack View Post
Yes, her answer had been one that was meant to give cheek. But also, ruining a nice pair of shoes IS a disaster. So it was somewhat serious as well and she was glad he treated it as such. Only his reaction to Max’s answer had her creasing. HAHAHAHA. The Gryffindor let out what could only be described as a ‘cackle’.

Trees.

HA.

Only someone like Maxton Carden would think TREES were dangerous. Bloody nervous, that guy. Always. Someone needed to slip him a ‘chill the heck out’ potion. Stat.

She kept chuckling to herself as she followed along behind their Professor. Why couldn’t they just do this lesson outside? The forrest existed for a reason, duh. Making his own must’ve been way too much work. Think smart, not hard. That was Zoryn’s motto. “Hinkypunks are deceptive little knuckleheads,” this was factual information straight out of the textbook for sure. “They sound like they’d be cute, but they’re actually pretty ugly, foggy looking fellows.” That’s why they were deceptive, duh.

Also, wouldn’t Hinkypunk make a much better Hogwarts house than Hufflepuff? #factsonly

Blink. Blink.

Surprised? Something inside him told him he shouldn't be. After the shoe comment, he had the feeling that this was really as good as it was going to get with this one. "....right."

He wasn't above remedial lessons. Keep this up and she'd find herself in some with a certain Slytherin Prefects.

TREES.

SPOILER!!: Rousseau
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledhampir View Post
Indigo fell into step beside Vita as they walked, following the Headmaster toward who knows where. This bog was definitely larger than the classroom was supposed to be. Indigo wondered for a second how they were going to find their way back after this was over, but he quickly put that thought aside for now. Surely as long as he followed the Headmaster it would all be fine. And if not, then that was a problem for future Indigo.

Hinkypunks. Here was what Indigo knew about hinkypunks: they lured people into bogs such as the one they were in right now. They carried lanterns, making people who were lost think that they had found safety. Then they ate them, or something like that. People had already pretty much said what Indigo was thinking so he didn't bother repeating it. What would he do if he saw multiple lanterns leading off in different directions? "I wouldn't follow a lantern unless I was positive I knew where it was coming from." Just assuming a lantern led to safety could be dangerous.

"Good thinking, I'd say." It seemed a bit sketchy to follow unknown lights off into the darkness. "You never know what's lurking. Now that we've established that, I'd like you to consider a scenario in which the bog is known for having lights to guide travellers. A situation in which you already expect there to be lights."

SPOILER!!: Dakest
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermionesclone View Post

Was Jó coming to stand RIGHT NEXT TO HIM?!

Lucas's eyes widened as he stood there. Any other time, he would be happy to be chosen to stand next to by his much cooler dormmate. But now? Now, he was feeling, if possible, even more embarrassed. If he was red before, it was nothing compared to how he looked now.

Not knowing what to say, he just..... looked at the boy and smiled. Sheepishly.

Thank Merlin they were in a lesson, eh?

Someone else in the lesson? Toddles.

The sudden appearance of the house elf made Lucas look away from Jó and, uh, somewhere towards where he thought the house elf was. Confused? You bet he was. It was weird, really. He hardly saw house elves around the castle and now he'd seen the same one twice in the past two days. It was...... yeah, weird.

But there were worse things to worry about and one of them was having to follow the Headmaster through a bog in the dark. And they weren't allowed to take out their wands?? That didn't sound like good news. He gulped and looked down to where he hoped his feet were, his heart already beating too loudly for his liking. People were already walking so maybe it wouldn't be too bad but....

...... yeah, he didn't like this.

The second year started shuffling forwards a bit..... and then a bit more..... and then a bit more until he was walking properly. Carefully but properly. He eventually looked up again at the spot where the Headmaster's voice was coming from. What did he know about Hinkypunks? "Well, they're..... smoky? Wispy. They look like smoke but they have arms and just the one leg. Which, I guess, makes it hard for them to walk so....." ...... uh. "..... so maybe that's why they get the human to come to them?" Maybe he should stop talking.

But there was another question that the Headmaster had asked and he...... was stumped. What would he do if he was travelling in a bog area and there were many lanterns going in different directions? UH. "Headmaster? Is turning around and running back home an option?" Because that's what he would do, especially since he was learning more about Hinkypunks.

Malachi was absentmindedly nodding along to this ones information on hinkypunks. So far, it was spot on, the sort of thing he hoped the first years were listening to. The man was about to reply, more or less letting him know he was correct but that question took him aback.

The Headmaster turned to look back at the students on impulse, trying in vain to catch the face of whoever had just asked the question. Didn't take long for him to realize how impossible it was.

Not wanting to start tripping over things, he faced forward once more. "Well....technically turning around and running back home is an option--but not today in this lesson. Do it on your own time and if you do, ensure you're faster than whatever may be hunting you." Solid advice. He was welcome.

SPOILER!!: Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2204 View Post
Ewan couldn’t help but watch the headmaster, slightly curious at his interaction with Toodles. Putting that out of his mine now, he followed the light cautiously, listening to the headmaster’s voice, trying to use all of his senses rather than just his eyes just as the head had asked.

Considering the headmasters question briefly as he walked, he couldn’t help but say the first thing that came to mind “I’d want to stay away from it. I mean, if it can’t grab you or throw anything at you, you should be okay”. He wasn’t 100% what exactly to do with a Hinkypunk but he knew that allowing them to get near you would not be good. “I’d imagine using some form of light might be of use, at least when you’re trying to avoid them. If there are several lamps…” pausing for a second now to consider what exactly he’d do “I think if it’s possible, maybe going back the way you came? I mean at least you’re not going towards one of them. If not then maybe just try to figure out which one the Hinkypunk is and avoid that one”. Honestly, he wasn’t really sure what spell to use. Maybe a little ingenuity would be more useful… who knew. The headmaster, that’s who.

Placing his wand back in his wand holster now, he followed the few students and the headmaster that were ahead of him, the light of the wand illuminating some of the sludge that lay below his feet. A feeling of unease came over him as he walked, almost increasing with each step as he continue to move deeper and deeper into the bog. Could he blame some of the other students for feeling slightly scared? Absolutely not. Falling in next to one of the seventh years now (Zoryn), he couldn’t help but frown at the cackle that escaped her mouth when another student answered.

Well at least this turning around didn't involve outright running...and if it did, at least he didn't say it.

"You could turn and head back in the direction you came, yes. That's also a good point." One he hoped the others were listening to. "Being out of their range of fire significantly lowers the level of danger." Hinkypunks, once they couldn't get to you, actually weren't that bad.

SPOILER!!: Gladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissy Longbottom View Post
Hinkypunk? What kind of a goofy word was THAT? Nettie had been quiet most of the lesson - in part due to her absolute EMBARRASSMENT over her behavior from the feast. Now that questions had started though, she had to get up and finally contribute to the class to earn good marks. She wasn't going to let a bad feast affect her grades!

She raised her hand. "Well, I would probably use my own light. Like Lumos or something, so then I don't need to rely on their lanterns to figure out where I am. That would hopefully prevent me from accidentally wandering off towards one," she explained.

"It's always a good idea having your own light source in dark situations." This one lantern was all they had for the moment but things would be changing soon enough. "That said, now I want you to consider something your classmate mentioned earlier. Using your own light giving you unwanted attention and allowing predators to know exactly where you are."

She wasn't wrong, it was simply good to consider all angles.

SPOILER!!: Dooley
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusblackliveson View Post
"Not again" he mumbled under his breath. Every time he came to this classroom and it was dark he nearly died. It happened back in his first term and then last term he could've died. Why did DADA have to be so violent and make him nearly die each time? He just wanted one DADA class to be boring and by the books instead of some adventure.

He was young and wanted to live.

He started following in the bog. He began thinking of each and every danger that could arise from a Hinkypunk. He could follow the wrong one, and by the sounds of Professor Trent's question that was likely what was about to happen. "These are the reasons I don't travel at night alone and in strange places like bogs." he groaned. When did he become a whiner. "Honestly Professor I guess I would keep talking to the leader of the group and if I didn't know where to go I'd pray to Merlin that I pick the right lantern to follow. Well... that is if I have to keep going and not stop."

"What happens if there's no leader, or worse, you're the leader and everyone else is depending on you?" Stopping was an option too, yes and not a bad one depending on the situation and how much danger was actually present.

Just something for the boy to think about. Couldn't always depend on someone else to determine your fate.

SPOILER!!: Mitsue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Malachi follows close behind the headmaster but not so close that he would be under his feet as he answers one of the questions he had asked. "If I was lost here with a bunch of lanterns and I had no idea where I was I would climb a tree to be of the ground as long as I knew it would be safe. If it wasn’t safe to be in a tree then I’d find a place to hide and do everything I could to survive since I know few spells at the moment, until I picked with certainty which lantern would be the best... sorry I’m talking your ear off.." Malachi scratches the back of his head as he continues behind the headmaster.

That was....an interesting response. Almost like the universe was having an extra little laugh at his expense with the mention of trees once more. At least it wasn't the Slytherin Prefect this time.

He could live with this.

"No need to apologize for answering a question." It was hardly talking his ear off. The man had ran into a Gryffindor on the way down to breakfast and now knew the true meaning of having his ear talked off. This was nothing by comparison. "You bring up a good point, climbing a tree aside. Sometimes the better option is taking cover and waiting for the worst of the danger to pass." Good job.

SPOILER!!: Toussaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by pundantic View Post
Alessandro could feel the emotional temperature of the room shifting. Some of his peers weren't as brave as the branding on Gryffindor tower would have suggested. Al kept his gloved hands in his pockets, his wand holstered under the sleeve of robe, and walked in the middle of the pack, following the Headmaster.

He was mindful to only step where others had stepped-- it was a safe route-- but he was certain not to lag behind. If they were really going to be dealing with hinkypunks, he didn't want to be separated from the pack.

Alessandro quietly added, "They lure witches and wizards off their paths with light to isolate them. Then, they attack."

"Isolation. Yes. Just the thing I'm hoping we can avoid on this little excursion and something I hope your classmates are actively trying to avoid." He didn't need anyone getting lost and left behind. They wouldn't be hard to find once the charm ended but they'd miss out on a whole lot before then and he'd have to do something about it after.

SPOILER!!: Botros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
You BET there was a story there. A wild one. You bet.

Oh. Hello house elf. Toddles again. Just like at the feast, Abra craned his neck to see the little creature, but other than that didn't acknowledge him, determined as he was not to be considered a disturbance in the classroom. Uhh... bog-classroom.

Anyway, right, yes, the lesson. And they were... following the Headmaster. Okay, nothing too difficult so far, and Abra didn't hesitate in doing as he was told, picking his way through the bog and trying to make sure he kept up but also that none of the smaller, younger kids lagged too far behind.

When the Headmaster asked his questions, Abra was quiet for a long while, partly focused on making sure he didn't fall flat on his face, but mostly just thinking. What would he do in that situation? Eventually, he spoke up, but didn't bother raising his hand this time because, well... they they were all walking and there didn't seem to be much point. "I probably wouldn't follow any of the lanterns. I'd wait for it to get light or I'd go towards the darkness and use my own light if I had my wand on me, which... I hope I would, actually. Actually even if you could see it was a person holding the lantern, it probably wouldn't be wise to just trust them and go with them if you... didn't... if you didn't... know... them..." Uhh.

A bit like they were doing right now, actually. Uhhhh... Was this a TEST??? They were all just following a strange man with a lantern unquestioningly, after all. He could be anyone. He could be a really smart hinkypunk in disguise.

The voice was familiar. He couldn't see, not when his back was to them and his eyes fixed on the near darkness but that voice.

Ah. Monster in a portal kid.

"Good. Constant vigilance. You can't just follow strangers into bogs. Most people have no business being in bogs to begin with. Granted, some may mean well, but there's always a chance they may not. This isn't to say you should spend your life being paranoid but rather that every decision needs to be carefully thought through." And this one already seemed....a little....paranoid.

Monster in a portal.

"On the flip side of that, it could be someone tired of losing travellers to the hinkypunks in the area. Someone dedicated to helping others move through safely. You never really know."

SPOILER!!: Ashburry-Hawthorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
Honestly, Maxton, Derf was right there with you when it came to trees. Or, well, he was a little LESS there with you now thanks to the aid of a few bowtruckles helping him come to terms with plants in general. But still...he felt the Slytherin prefect's answer was a valid one even if the headmaster seemed a bit...not so much to think so.

..........this headmaster had a peculiar sense of humor and Derf was not entirely sure if it was refreshing or not. Discourage from breaking their necks? Okay then...er...right. What had the question been again?

Hanging back a bit in the group, the Hufflepuff was not particularly keen on having to keep his wand holstered. He felt particularly vulnerable when it was, well, it FELT like they were being lead towards an encounter of some sort. Just like they had been with the Red Caps last term. And the painful irony being that they were following the lantern holding headmaster towards...a creature that likewise held a lantern and used said lantern offensively.

It was more than a little unsettling.

"Hinkypunks have a rather deceptive looking sort of appearance...but then again their whole existence is that," Derf began once it was his turn to speak. "I always thought they resembled kinda ethereal looking wisps of light and smoke, so it can sorta make them hard to distinguish in thick fogs and mist like you often see in bogs and stuff. Pretty nifty sort of camouflage I reckon...or would be if it weren't for their lanterns..." Cut a very pointed look towards the one the headmaster was holding. "They're impish...and I suppose their main threat is their lantern...fireballs and all...so I reckon that would be the first thing I would aim for. Disarming them of that....I mean...if I got close enough to one...otherwise if I saw a sea of moving lanterns....certainly wouldn't move towards them..."

Only he totally and completely would just for the chance to see a hinkypunk in its natural habitat.

Again, the Headmaster found himself nodding along as a student spoke. Mentally, he was going through the information offered, double verifying it in case there was anything that needed correcting while half his attention remained on figuring out the path they needed to take.

So far so good.

Head Boy, right? Sounded like him from his limited interactions thus far. "Disarming is a good first option. Remove their means of hurting you and you've effectively removed the threat. That said, I'd also like you to consider the flip side of many lanterns." Because there were always many sides to anything. "What if the lanterns were intended for travellers? To keep them on the right path while going through the bog because of a string of hinkypunk attacks in the past?"

Just so they left no stones unturned.

SPOILER!!: Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Banana View Post

Torii tried to follow along with the conversation between the elf and the Headmaster, but she must have missed something that had happened before. Either way, she felt kind of sorry for the elf. At least the elf was getting to dash away to safety and out of this bog. The rest of them, it seemed, were off on a journey.

Torii had never drawn her wand, but even so, at the mention of it, she felt her holster to make sure it was there. She couldn't make any promises that if it came between life and death, that the wand would stay there. She always imagined herself as a person who would act on their first instinct in a dangerous situation. But, who knew? She'd never encountered anything dark face-to-face.

She followed the Headmaster, making sure to keep careful watch around her and pay attention to the places the light hit. There was also his voice. As long as she heard it, she felt safe. When it stopped, she kind of got the feeling something dark would come their way. This was a planned lesson, right?

She tried to think about hinkypunks while she navigated the branches and soil. She skipped raising her hand this time. Was there even a point? Instead, she just spoke up. "Well, I would...not go into the light," she said. "They don't force you to follow them, do they? So you'd only do so on your own will. So just...don't go into the light. Go in the other direction." Or, you know...follow your own light?

"That's a good point to throw into the mix." He said, slowing all the more as he was sure they were coming up to where they needed to be. "No, they don't force you to follow them, it's entirely your choice."

SPOILER!!: Kettleburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
Chloe wasn't afraid of the dark, but she still grabbed for Derf's hand as the professor led them into the dark and instructed them to keep their wands holstered. It wasn't a natural reaction to be afraid and unsure and potentially in danger and to be forced to approach it with no wand in hand.

"Sorry." She whispered and dropped Derf's hand, scuttling ahead of him to try to follow the rest of the students who were stringing out between the professor and the end of the line. That was Chloe, and it steeled her spine a bit. She and Derf were the last defense. She could be brave on behalf of other people.

"If you can't provide your own light, professor, then I wouldn't follow someone else's lamp off the path you've already found to be safe. And it's the best way to keep your feet dry, yeah?" Maybe she was teasing a bit since the professor had given her such a hard time about the wet feet comment. He'd missed the rest of it, her whole point, hadn't he?

Back on feet, huh?

Malachi would pretend he never heard that part. "If it's a path you've taken before, it's fair to stick to it. The bog isn't likely to have changed by much since your last visit." Pause. "What about if you've never been there before and don't know what path is the "safe" one?"

Bonus question for her to think about.

SPOILER!!: Smedley
Quote:
Originally Posted by klexos24 View Post
Charlie grinned with pride as soon as the headmaster said her answer was correct. It was comforting to know that, even though her knowledge of magical things might be light years behind a good portion of her classmates, she could still scrape by (of course, she wanted to learn eventually, but that wasn’t the point and certainly wouldn’t happen in this class period).

The Ravenclaw frowned ever-so-slightly in response to how the headmaster reacted to Toddles the elf, but she quickly forgot as they began moving shortly after. Charlie’s eyes were glued to the headmaster’s light, as she wouldn’t dare risk getting lost (especially in a dark bog). Imagine her surprise when she learned that she would have to glue her ears to his voice, too.... The headmaster’s odd humor did nothing to comfort her in light of what was ahead (or to calm her subtle itchiness).

So, hinkypunks... not hinklypunks. It didn’t really matter right this second, though, seeing as she couldn’t answer his first question anyhow. On the other hand, she could tell him what she’d do in a situation with multiple lanterns in a place like this. Charlie thought hard for a minute, nose scrunched up, and raised her hand to answer his inquiry shortly after. “Well, Headmaster, That all depends on the context of the situation. If I trust someone more and they are carrying one lantern, I would probably follow them. If I don’t now anyone, is just have to do my best effort to be aware of my surroundings. So, basically, knowing what’s around you is key.”

Okay. Sure. He'd take it. "Knowing your surroundings is very important, yes." Yep, they were definitely getting close. "It goes back to the scenario I gave a few of your classmates. What happens if the lanterns were actually put there to help? Knowing the setup, you'll already know the answer to this." In the end, a useful response.

Then she'd be able to make an informed decision.

SPOILER!!: Muldoon
Mary followed closely, keeping to the group and watching her feet with what little light there was. She felt the mud oozing through the lace holes in her boots, but ignored it and continued. She knew nothing about hinkypunks, so she did not respond to the questions and instead continued walking. The answers to the questions were of nothing she understood.

At one point, she tripped over a tree roit she couldn't have seen and cursed under her breath as she used her soccer instinct to push her foot into the ground and therefore not fall down.

In the dark, facing the other direction while students offered up responses, a few missing ones here and there went completely unnoticed. Her tripping went equally unnoticed.

SPOILER!!: Wallace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Ronan discovered fairly quickly that he didn't know much. Like... at all. About anything. At the headmaster's initial question, Ronan had been too busy studying a random area of blackness just up ahead, convinced it was moving and shapeshifting and was about to turn into a giant dragon and eat them all. Or........ a chimera. YES! A chimera. And since chimeras was totally known for KILLING PEOPLE (right?), Ronan decided it would be best if he just stared at that spot for a bit instead of trying to answer any questions.

This plan turned out to be not so successful however, when the headmaster started walking and taking the only source of light with him. WAIT. Shuffling into the crowd, Ronan trudged into the bog, his shoes become muddy and heavy in an instant. But what about the chimera??? Why was the professor going on about hinkypunks? Ronan didn't know a single thing about hinkypunks, but he sure did know you weren't supposed to walk right into a chimera nest. Nest? Uhhhh. A chimera lair? A chimera HOVEL. No... a chimera spot.

.. Eh, that one worked.

And another that fell off the Headmaster's radar. The silence was easily missed when there were others offering up answers and the man was actively trying to remember the route they needed to take.

SPOILER!!: Ainsworth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
Harri jutted a small pout.

She was in fact quite focused on the lesson, or as much as her flighty eleven year old brain was capable of. She did hear the group discuss about maaaaany creatures and TREES and soggy feet and oh...poor Toddles. It sounded like the Headmaster had his work cut out for him and even though the Headmaster was right, that the elf won't be able to ensure for her if she got lost, she still felt bad. Besides, she got lost often enough that that comment didn't faze her, not really.

Reaching for her wand, just reaching to make sure it was still there, the young Gryffindor braced the muddy lands along with the rest of the group, squinting at the only light source they had and because she was prone to getting lost, went and grabbed on to the uniform of the person next to her. It was probably still Igor, right? She wasn't sure...and it was too hard to tell in the dark and she was trying not to trip and break her neck or fall into a jagged rock as what the Headmaster said.

...Oh. Hinkypunks.

What a funny sounding word. She knew little about them though. Like just one thing. "Um, I know they look like smoke." Heh. Maybe she should do some advance reading next time. Her brain was only full of anything animagus-related at this point. As for what she would do, she would um...oh! Maybe befriend the hinkypunks? So they could all light the way for her? That would be sooooooo COOL. And stupid.

"Correct." Oh, oh this was where they were going. It was just up ahead. "They don't have much going for them physically." Just wisps of smoke and a lantern.

SPOILER!!: Macindoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegz View Post
Okay. Hinkypunks were happening. Or... if they weren't quite yet, they would. Also Toddles. Bel would have waved at the elf but it was dark so probably he wouldn't have seen anyways. But focus: hinkypunks. Bel prepared herself and mentally ran through everything she knew about them, half nodding each time anyone mentioned something she'd read. As for her wand? Well she hadn't pulled it out to begin with so that was fine. Also fine: the muck. She didn't think much of it, it just didn't matter. She fixed her gaze on the headmaster's lantern and fleetingly felt a bit like a moth. What would happen if it went out? Actually maybe she shouldn't look at it directly? So her eyes stayed sharp? Bel tried that instead, keeping it in her peripheral vision without staring at it utterly.

The several lanterns question though.... she thought about it and found she wasn't at all inclined to follow random lights. Wait, was she supposed to be alone in this scenario? He hadn't said that right? She put her hand up. "You could link hands in a chain so that you could trust that nobody would get lured off, since other people could pull anyone who was," dumb enough to get, "lured away back to safety?" Erm. Was that an okay answer? Probably not what he had been looking for. As for the bit about hinkypunks, "They're another name for will o' the wisp, aren't they? And also there was a latin name I read.... uhhh... ig.... ignis fatuus?" She had remembered the 'fat' bit. "And there's other names from other parts of the world but I don't know if they're the same as hinkypunks exactly, or if they're similar but actually different species or something like that." No clue. Hadn't read that far, professor. Sorry 'bout it. Bel shrugged and then dropped her hand. That was all she had.

Another out of the box suggestion, sure. Here information was spot on too. It told him at least some of the students were keeping up with their readings.

"Didn't say you had company to go linking hands." At the same time, he hadn't said there weren't. It was a good time to start considering things from all angles. "What if you didn't have anyone to tug you back or to tug on so they don't go?"

SPOILER!!: Calrissian
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazykitty View Post
Right, so make sure the next time she ate that the meat hadn't been scared to death. That's what she was taking from that, anyway.

The first question had been pretty well answered by now, so it was on to the second. "Definitely don't follow the lanterns that are shooting fireballs or being held by something that's howling and/or grunting." Duh. Also, boo on the whole 'not using their wands' thing. It meant that she was having to use her feet and hands to make sure that she wasn't tripping over anything. Which meant that she was accidentally brushing against her classmates too, of course. Not to mention that she was absolutely terrified that she was about to brush against and/or step on an alligator. After all, they didn't know which bogs he had designed this one after. It could absolutely be a Louisiana swamp.

To the point. He liked that. "Agreed. If the lights are grunting and making other strange noises, it's safe to say it's not just a harmless lantern put there to keep you safe." Which negated the scenario he'd given to a few of the other students.

SPOILER!!: Botros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govoni View Post
It was more than okay if the man hadn't memorized every student name. Aaron felt sure they'd grow to be great friends. Of course, he assumed friendships with a lot of people. Everyone had character flaws... Perhaps that was his? Not that he paid it much mind.... Maybe he'd take the new Headmaster some honey.

... Something to think about later since the fifth year needed to focus on where he was placing his feet. Every step caused a nasty squelching! sound. And there was hard pull whenever he lifted his foot to take another. He didn't have to have Seer abilities to see himself cleaning his shoes after this lesson. To make it somewhat easier (on himself), he stayed close to where the lantern was casting its circle of light, keeping his eyes peeled for any surprises on the floor. This was a Defense class, after all...

There was some stumbling, but over all, Aaron managed to stay upright for most of the journey. With a highly logical answer to boot! "Hogwarts has taught me to be suspicious, so knowing what I do about creatures, plants, etcetera... I would trust my own light. And after casting said light, I would run." Yep. Proudly.

He liked being amongst the living.

In fact, why would he be traveling through a bog, alone, at night? Man, that did not sound like the Aaron Botros he knew and loved.

Another one for running. He supposed there was no shame in running, especially alone in a bog where no one could see you running so sure, he'd take it. "A little suspicion can carry you a long way." He agreed. Honestly, with all he'd heard about Hogwarts, he could understand varying levels of suspicion among the students.

"The key is to not be too suspicious and thus irrational. Always a balance to be struck."

SPOILER!!: Parker
This was very different from anything Kaira had expected. It seemed a bit like they were in a muggle film that she had seen recently (Lord of the..something- she couldn't recall the exact name)

'They umm..are smoke-like creatures that pretend as a lamp-bearing beings and lure travellers off...They are..umm..impish and they are part of muggle stories too, as a matter of fact..especially in Indian folklore.They can propel fireballs from their lamp..,' she added.

What would she do if there were many lanterns like that? That was a tricky one.

'I would cast my own light and take the path that my instincts tell me to follow..,' she said. Her intuitions never failed her.

Malachi nodded to her points on the hinkypunk. More or less in line with what her classmates had said.

"In response to you saying you'll make your own light, I'd also like you to consider the position of sitting duck you'll make yourself once you have a light going that alerts all predators and creatures to where you are."

Just to give her another side of the coin to consider.

SPOILER!!: Swann
Daisy followed the Headmaster/DADA Professor's instructions and followed him using the light he was carrying and the sound of his voice as a guide. She was mindful of how she walked among the boggy terrain. Daisy thought about the question and gave her answer.

"I'd use a powerful illumination spell like 'Lumos Duo' to illuminate the area where there could be a Hinkypunk because I think that could render them immobile."

Similar to the last response but this one was more about immobilizing them. "That's a viable option, true. Once you get them out of the way, you're free to fumble around the bog for the entire night without fear--of them anyway." Still plenty other creatures in a bog.

"Here we are!" Malachi came to a stop near the edge of a body of water. It was difficult to see much of anything outside of where the lantern struck but it was evident they were now by a river of sorts.

"Very good everyone, I see some reading has been done. Just a quick recap before we move on. Hinkypunks are creatures that resemble smoke. Real wispy. Think blue or white or grey. They're one legged and carry a lantern around which they use to lure travellers off their path and into bogs." Pretty standard stuff. He wouldn't go into too much detail because they didn't have the time, their classmates had already covered most of it and they would be getting a reading assignment once this was all over to supplement this lesson anyway.

"As some of your classmates have mentioned, they shoot fireballs from their lanterns--the real reason they're a threat. Those fireballs are...well....hot. It's fire. It does damage. You don't want to remain within their line of fire. They're also known to make noises. Grunts, hollers, that sort of thing." The kind that could unnerve a person in the dead of night with limited lighting.

"Moving on!" He hoped they'd been paying attention to each other. The students had given the bulk of the information and there wasn't any need to say it ALL again.

Malachi drew his wand to reveal a few boats. Those closer to the front had a better chance of seeing them. "We're taking a little trip that will get us to our final activity. There are boats by the edge of the water here." He paused to gesture. "No more than five in a boat. Don't worry about capsizing, they've been charmed against that. Similarly, they will not sink. You've got nothing to worry about from them." So no unnecessary panic, yeah? They'd all been doing good at that so far. "You will board the boats then follow me in mine. Remember what I've said. Listen for my voice. Look for my lantern. It's very important."

For reasons. Ahem.

With that, the Headmaster climbed into the first boat and nudged himself out onto the water. He brightened his lantern a bit so they could see back on the shoreline. "Everyone into boats, no time to waste."

OOC: Time for the mini activityyyyyy. So here's the basic rundown. The students are in for a trip down the river in boats. The boats have been charmed to be near foolproof. Perfectly safe for students to steer on their own with the use of the oars (five so each person can row). For now, your charries can choose a boat to be in/who'll be in their boats. I'll get us started down the river in 24 hrs.

______________________________I'm fired up and tired of the way that things are said.