View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Post J.K. Rowling reveals her suggestions to fellow writers on potentially getting success

J.K. Rowling updated her official website this weekend to give aspiring writers some tips about how to go about their creative process. More details from the Harry Potter author and Fantastic Beasts scribe can be found here.

While the author said she didn't have a fool-proof plan on how to be a successful writer, she did outline a few points for potential success, including: reading; discipline; resilience and humility; courage; and independence.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: I haven’t got ten rules that guarantee success, although I promise I’d share them if I did. The truth is that I found success by stumbling off alone in a direction most people thought was a dead end, breaking all the 1990s shibboleths about children’s books in the process. Male protagonists are unfashionable. Boarding schools are anathema. No kids book should be longer than 45,000 words.

Ultimately, in writing as in life, your job is to do the best you can, improving your own inherent limitations where possible, learning as much as you can and accepting that perfect works of art are only slightly less rare than perfect human beings. I’ve often taken comfort from Robert Benchley’s words: ‘It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn’t give it up, because by that time I was too famous.’