Thread: Staff Table
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Gaston met Scrimgeour's death glare with an equally deadly one of his own. “If refusing to further subjugate these children makes me incompetent, I'll take that as a compliment,” he said stiffly. No more words were exchanged, but his eyes said it all as he remained firmly in his chair, arms crossed defiantly. He had to practically bite his tongue to keep from laughing in the old man's face. Didn't he get it? His threats no longer scared Gaston. He had already lost the only job he loved; there was nothing more the man could take from him. At this point, he was just biding his time until the last student safely left Hogwarts tomorrow… or until this reign of terror ended, whichever came first.

Fortunately, he didn't have long to wait. Regina was here and the letters handed out. Two of the sociopaths were gone; just three to go. Gaston tensed, keeping his eyes locked on Scrimgeour and his remaining hires as he awaited their reactions with bated breath. Fletcher left; now only Ainsworth and Scrimgeour remained. His heart dropped as the former headmaster's eyes landed on him, but he made no effort to deny that he'd reported him. For one wild moment, he half-expected the old man to attack him without Fletcher as a barrier between them, but… that didn't happen.

Instead, he went on a rant that was met with a scoff and an eyeroll from Gaston. Subjugating children had gotten this place nowhere too, but he didn't voice that thought out loud. There was no need; everybody in this room, including Scrimgeour himself, already knew. The only further reaction the old loony's parting words got was a defiant, almost triumphant glare. It's over, Scrimgeour. You lose, he thought. The old man himself said actions had consequences; now it was time he faced his.

Then… they just left. Gaston slumped in his chair like a snowman melting in the sun as he watched Scrimgeour and Ainsworth go. Now that the adrenaline and anger had worn off, all that was left was sadness. They had beaten Scrimgeour's regime, but the victory came at the price of his health and his job. He just wanted to retreat to the privacy of his office to mourn the passing of his time at Hogwarts in peace, but there was something he had to do first. He barely even blinked when his fired colleagues appeared and took their places at the dais. "Welcome back," he greeted, giving Regina, Kaysha, Kalen, and Tristan each a small sad smile. "And congratulations on the House Cup win, Kay."

Gaston rose to make his rounds to the house tables for the final time, but along the way, he paused in front of Alice's chair. "Alice..." he began, trying to keep his voice down so the others wouldn't hear. "We never saw eye to eye on Julian Scrimgeour's regime, but I'm sorry my actions caused trouble for you." Maybe in another place and another time, they would've got on better, but now they would never know. "I wish you all the best." With that, he turned away with a small smile and started toward the house tables.

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...