View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
sweetpinkpixie

Wizarding World RPG Admin
Minister for Magic

DoM & MO

Alley Proprietor
Romanian Longhorn

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Anna Walles
Hufflepuff
Sixth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sage Ransom-Kruus
Slytherin
Sixth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Charles Hollingberry
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Airey Flamsteed
Mysteries

Diagon Alley Employee:
Zachaėl Lufkin
Owl Post

x12 x12
astronomizzle ♧ gryffinDORK | & the rest is drag ♣ #badluckDerf

He missed this, being able to be in the comfort of your own space with your familiar. Well, Picketta was technically something much more than a familiar seeing as he had become a Home Tree to the bowtruckle...but still. With Scamander's passing and no other official pet of his own, the bowtruckle was the closest fit to the role. And he had to keep her in the barn. Professor Wayland had somewhat turned a blind eye to the whole thing - only fair as far as the Hufflepuff was concerned and it wasn't as though he were asking for his own lab or anything - but Professor Petrov, well, it seemed common place for staff to be exceptions to these rules seeing as the man was able to walk around as freely as he pleased with that exquisite serpent around his neck and shoulders. So, there was a bit of a sad smile as Phantom joined him on the floor - the whole point in displaying to her that he was no threat to her. Perhaps a reminder of it given the somewhat hostile climate of Hogwarts these days.

"You don't need to explain yourself, professor," the sixth year said soothingly, his fingers gently dancing over the dark fur of the feline. "Dad charmed my briefcase when I turned 11 to act like Newt Scamander's, so it'll fit just fine. No need to, you know, act suspicious and incriminate ourselves with a disillusionment charm." Because, well, like what had happened in the joint lesson with Arithmancy and Ancient Runes, disillusionment charms were meant to cover up things that were not 'right' ... and he didn't want this exchange to be tainted by those sorts of undertones. Professor Marchand was trying to be an educator, nod some dodgy dealer on the potions black market.

He really hadn't meant to upset the Charms professor with his observation, but it was all written so clearly on his face. Hogwarts was...really taking it's toll on the man, you know? Derf sometimes felt himself wondering if the man's pride got in the way of things...because he always seemed so unhappy here at Hogwarts. Like it was all just too much for him. Being an emotional person wasn't a bad thing and Derf valued empathy above loads of other traits, but it hurt going to lessons and seeing the man look more and more like a shell each time. And so easily set off by a simple statement too!

"It's all right, professor," he smiled, his fingers now moving to scratch Phantom behind the ears. "I kinda tend to load up my summers with things anyway. Dad has loads of connections with people in environmental professors, so I get plenty of exposure to creatures. I even got to do some hands on observation and care in the Galįpagos Islands a couple of summers ago. Also, well, that tone...you know...doing things behind people's backs...sorta...you know...I don't want my passion to be tainted in that way...if you know what I mean..." Derf had always been proactive about his future with creatures, even before his proper schooling began. And, well, he was well aware that his words were a bit hypocritical, but he was just a student. Hearing that come from a professor - a head of house AND deputy headmaster at that - was a little nerve-wrecking. He just wanted to get through the rest of this term without loading on more guilt and anxiety, you know? "But...I do appreciate the offer. If you hear of an opportunity that might benefit me I wouldn't, you know, turn up my nose at it! Also have my last summer on the U-17 team, so it's gonna be sorta busy."

When you’re stuck in a moment and your spark has been stolen .................................................. ...........
this is our time to own it, so own it.....................................
baby we were born with fire and gold in our eyes