Thread: The Bistro
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
MadMadamMalfoy
Newbie Mod

MO & DMLE
Chizpurfle

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Norman A. Carton
Graduated

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Sydney M. L. Masters
Slytherin
First Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Gaston A.L. Marchand
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Normandie A. Carton
Law Enforcement
Default Sorry about him ranting! *pokes the angry Gaston* xD
Rhibear ~ Madam Solo ~ Dark Brooding Girl ~ Accio Jedi ~ Gryffinclaw ~ Just a doll

Gaston nodded as Joshua mentioned more people possibly arriving late. While they could use all the help they could get, a part of him hoped there wouldn't be any stragglers. Somehow he doubted there would be. He knew Alice wouldn't be here; she'd started cozying up to Scrimgeour practically since the moment he arrived. Such a shame... He could see Haraldur or Celestia possibly showing up, but Ignatius could go either way. He couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that he potions master wasn't here. Noble may be strict, but he was a decent person; he should know this was wrong! He could only hope the man would come around and join their cause later on... "Well, if they are, I'm afraid they'll have a hard time getting inside," he replied with a sheepish shrug. They'd find themselves faced with a locked door and a caterwauling charm. "If anyone sets off the alarm, disillusion yourselves and don't say anything until we figure out who's on the other side of that door." He hated all the security measures, but if the other staff could get in, so could the fiendish five - and he was not taking chances!

A small smile spread across Gaston's face as Foster and Joshua both reaffirmed their commitment. "Of course, I don't doubt your conviction," he said, beaming at each of them in turn. "I just had to ask. It would be wrong to expect you to take part without knowing the costs."

Gaston listened intently to Joshua's thoughts, nodding along in places.
"Exactly!" he said when the younger man finished speaking. "I supported Scrimgeour's new rules when they made sense and weren't harming anyone, but this - the owl post inspections, the ever-growing list of contraband, the refusal to make even the slightest accommodations for students who need them, the extreme punishments over nothing - don't you see what he's doing? He's slowly robbing them of their individuality until they have no choice but to become heartless shells of human beings, just like him, to survive. Teachers are supposed to nurture their students, not stifle them! No one should have to be afraid to be their true self..."

Gaston swallowed hard to clear the lump rising in his throat as his voice trailed off. A sad, haunted look grew in his eyes; he bowed his head to try to hide it. He wasn't just talking about the students anymore... "What I can't figure out is if Scrimgeour gets some sick enjoyment from intimidating children or if he honestly believes his own dragon dung about 'building character'," he said darkly, sarcasm creeping into his voice as he air quoted the last words. "Well, it doesn't! I've seen just how damaging it is firsthand..." Was he ranting? Probably, but now that he started, there was no stopping!

His hands balled into fists, and he was suddenly trembling. Overhead, the candle flames in the chandelier flickered and flared ominously. "B-before I got accepted to Beauxbatons, my parents sent me to a strict muggle private school," he went on, angry fire blazing in his eyes. "All the teachers there were just like him - just as cold, just as demanding, just as brutal. Their abuse had me too scared to speak or think or even exist!" He shuddered, squeezing his eyes shut at the memories of being berated and shouted at, of standing in the corner with the whole class laughing at him, of being smacked with a ruler as punishment... He flinched, drawing his hand back. Over thirty years later, and he could still feel the sting. "It got so bad, I almost became an ob-" He stopped just short of revealing his darkest secret. "- something dark and dangerous."

The dark-haired Frenchman let out a cold, mirthless laugh. "And now, thanks to Scrimgeour, I'm right back where I started... I've had to hide everything that makes me who I am just to keep my job! You see what this room's become, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I had to remodel half my classroom to comply with his stupid food restrictions! I've barely had any contact with my wife and daughter because I know he'll find something 'questionable' about my letters, even if he has to invent a reason. I've had to get rid of my books, my classic car models, even my music..."

Gaston took several deep breaths to calm himself down. As his anger ebbed, the candle flames steadied and he stopped trembling. He stood frozen in shock, unable to believe the string of words that had just come out of his mouth. "I-I'm sorry," he stammered, looking apologetically from one person to the next. "That was building up for a long time, and this just...hits a little too close to home." He nervously ran a hand through his hair. "We can't let these kids be broken like I was! So, what are we going to do about Scrimgeour?"

If I could take that second chance, If I could make my life anew, If only dreams came true...