View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
Bazinga
Dark Force Defense League

MO & DMGS
Forest Troll

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kirsten Delbin
Hufflepuff
Fifth Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mateo Theodore
Slytherin
Fifth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Alana Potter
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Bart Culloden
Games & Sports

x11 x9
Puff by day, snake by night | Mj's bestie | Always UP to Something...

presents

Making Your Galleons Count: Travel Edition

October, 2096
by:Simon Stackton

Not everyone who suffers from Wanderlust has the galleons to float for a five-star resort stay. That doesn't mean that staying close to home is the only option, though. With multitude of ways to ball on a budget, you can follow these handy tips to seeing beautiful places and not break the vault. Whether you want to remain on the continent or not, there are always deals floating around if only one has the desire to look. From places to stay to transport the Muggle way, I am your man with the plan! So buckle in and join me on this wild ride as I lead you through several options for traveling on a budget.

1. Hostels are your best friend!

Okay, don't make that face! Hostels have come a long way over the years and they are still a favorite of mine for budget reasons, but also the family vibe most places give off. Not to mention the fact that you never know who you may meet whilst in the shared kitchen or having a stay in the garden! Here are some of my favorites, both Muggle and Wizarding as well.

If you find yourself in Paris look no further than The Loft. Especially if you are traveling sans tiny humans. It is an adult only hostel that boasts many amenities and is located only four kilometers from The Louvre Museum. If that wasn't enough to sell you on this hidden gem, they also provide two meals a day which is included in your 26 euro a night bill. And yes, that being said, it is a Muggle establishment so keep your wands away!! I do, however, have a sneaking suspicion that the lovely little lady who runs the place may very well be a witch. Wink, wink. I also suspect that they have a house elf whipping up all of their food. There is no way they could produce so much volume without a little magic. Of course, I have no real proof, only a suspicion that brings me back there time and again in the hopes of solving the mystery!

Some other hostels of note are as follows: Ursa Minor in Rome, Italy, and El Toro Y Arana in Madrid, Spain. Both are Wizarding establishments and can be reached via their respective Knight Bus equivalent. I strongly suggest taking the night in the Courtyard of Ursa Minor as the light show is marvelous and unrivaled... except for the actual Northern Lights.

2. Muggle Travel Ain't for Chumps!

When trying to remain low key and fly under the radar, it is often the best idea to opt for Muggle transport when seeing the world. While there are multitude modes of transportation, one that stands out across Europe is the Inter-rail system. I swear by it even. It is a very affordable way to see the world flash by as you move country to country. While it is not the instant gratification sort of travel most of us have gotten used to, I enjoy the scenery it presents. Often times we are moving too fast or are far too wrapped up in an end goal that we don't pause to appreciate the Swiss Alps as the train moves through them. Or seeing the beauty of the Czech Republic on your way to Prague. Whatever your ultimate destination, the best way to see it all and get there in comfort is Interrailing!

3. Immerse Yourself!

If ever you have the opportunity to take a holiday of cultural immersion, I say go for it! Being it is a newer trend there are travel agencies popping up all over the Wizarding and Muggle worlds that offer these types of holidays. Often times these are volunteer types, but they are, in my honest opinion, the only way to go. Imagine yourself in a hut amongst the natives of a far off country... hunting and harvesting your meals as they do. Sounds like a dream come true for me. Now imagine yourself in a real Buddhist temple in Nepal. This particular retreat offers early morning yoga on the monasteries roofs. How brilliant is that? The one thing I will stress about these types of retreats is that they are not, I repeat, ARE NOT holidays in which you will live in the lap of luxury. You will indeed be among the same conditions as the natives to the area. Be gracious and kind and leave the place just as you found it. Oh and don't complain about the lack of running water if you find yourself up a mountain... or the bugs if you're in a forest. Do your research and know what you are getting yourself into.

If you want a luxury experience this is NOT for you!

4. The Best Advertisement...

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen tourists off in other countries relying only on a guidebook or some other sort of material. Talk to your mates, your neighbors, your relatives! Find out about that awesome ski holiday your auntie took to the Alps. I am telling you, I have found more hidden gems by reaching out to people I know that any guidebook can tell me. Furthermore, if you are seeking Wizard Only communities it is a no-brainer. What about your mate you went to university with that moved to Kyoto for work? Contact him or her! Word of mouth is the best way to go often times. As I mentioned before, there are also the hidden gems that only a local or frequent visitor will know to point you to. Like the Hair of the Dog pub in Dublin, which I highly recommend... it's not one you will find in a guidebook, but it is Wizard owned and run. So you see, there are multitude ways to find your way to a great adventure, but do some research into it first.

For all of your travel and adventure needs, I will be taking on the laborious task of traveling far and wide to bring you tales and tips from far off places. Keep your eyes peeled for more to come, from cuisine to hiking trails, and much much more.