View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Birchwoodmom

DMGS & MO
Snidget

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Kassandra Sutton
Graduated

Ministry RPG Name:
West Riedel
Games & Sports

Ministry RPG Name:
Foster Davis
Minister's Office
| Ravenpuff | Part Ninja | Boat Rocker | Exhausted Pigeon |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucki View Post
"No, my parents don't keep any muggle things at home," she responded lightly, unsure of why the girl across from her seemed to be in such a state of disbelief. Hadn't Emmalyn notice that... well most places didn't have any of these things anywhere in them.

Did the wizarding world not have these things? Shera thought for a moment. "I guess it depends? From my understanding most muggle things don't work well with magic, which is why they aren't meant to work in Hogwarts. But I guess families that have had a muggle born or have married a muggle, or even some purebloods who are interested by muggles would have these kinds of things around... but it's not like we need them when we have magic." That was her understanding of why muggles had these devices, because they didn't have magic. She decided to continue and admit, "The only experience I have in the muggle world is playing volleyball."

Look up information? Play games? Order food and clothes? How could one thing do so many things? Maybe Shera hadn't fully grasped what muggle items could do. "Huh."

Her brain was still trying to get a grip on all this new information. There was so much for her to process. Including how the pages of the computer were changing. It seemed... magical. "How can it change the way it does?"... maybe that was a bad question, one that Emmalyn might not be able to answer. But she was still curious. If she didn't know she could always go to the muggle studies professor and ask them.

What else was she interested in? She looked around the room in confusion, unsure of what everything was and where to even start. Thankfully Emmalyn listed a few things that gave her a start. "What is a... movies?"

The last word was said hesitantly, unsure if she had said it properly, but she had tried to mimic Emmalyn to the best of her ability. "And tv shows? And what kind of games do muggles play?"
Emmalyn was having a hard time wrapping her head around all that Shera was saying. She couldn't imagine a life without her computer. It had been absolute torture not having her computer since she left for Hogwarts. There were so many friends she wanted to email, so many books she wanted to read, and all of her favorite classic movies were saved so she could watch them whenever she wanted.

Then she started to realize it was kind of like all the magical things she had missed out on. She didn't miss being able to fly on her broom because she didn't know there were brooms you could fly on.

Her attention turned back to Shera when she asked how the computer was working. "Well, I don't know all of the ins and outs, but you type in a web address, kind of like where the page lives, and it pops up on your screen. Each one is different, but you have to know the address to get there."Emmalyn shrugged, her dad had always set up all of her computer stuff, so she wasn't exactly sure how it all happened.

"Movies! Movies are the greatest. They are kind of like plays, but recorded so you can watch them over and over again whenever you want." She desperately tried to think of something in the magical world that could even come close. "Oh, you know how the pictures in the portraits move? Well, movies are like that in a way, but you can't interact with them. You watch them on a T.V., like those over there, or on a computer screen." She paused to see if Shera was keeping up. "T.V. shows are like movies, but shorter and usually go on over a much longer time period." She smiled and pointed to the large stack of DVDs "Those discs, DVDs, have the shows burned into them so they can play in a DVD player."

She could feel herself getting excited again and the speed she was talking kept going faster and faster. "What else do you want to know?" Before Shera could answer, Emmalyn quickly asked "What do magical families do for fun?" She was curious what they did on rainy days and at night. Sure, there was always reading books, but what if you weren't in the mood to read a book? Flying on a broom would be uncomfortable in the rain and dangerous at night.