View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pucki
Ravenclaw

DMLE
Puffskein

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Shera Ben-Ari
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwoodmom View Post
When Shera started talking, Emmalyn's attention was pulled back to her. "Yes, Shera, that's right. I'll do my best to remember it this time." She really was going to try. They had met a lot of new people the last few days between the train and all of the new students in their houses and classes.

Emmalyn couldn't figure out why Shera had a confused look on her face. She then wondered why the girl was just standing there and not using any of the electronics. "Wait, what? You have never seen these things?" She shook her head in disbelief. How as it possible that someone could make it through eleven years- twelve years of life and never have used a computer or listened to an IPod?

"Muggle things? You mean those in the wizarding world don't use electronics?" Emmalyn wasn't sure what to make of it. She had come to realize, over the past few weeks, that there were some big differences from the world she grew up in and the world she was now part of, but she figured the basics would be the same.

Just as she was about to ask Shera where to start explaining, the computer she powered up was ready to go. "Well, this is a computer. You can use it to look up all kinds of information, play games, order clothes and food...although I bet they wouldn't deliver to Hogwarts, and more." Emmlayn got on the internet and entered the website for her fathers bakery. "See, you just type in what you are looking for and it finds it for you. This is my dad's website. He owns bakeries in Seattle and Anaheim in the U.S.A. and Galway in Ireland." She pointed to the computer screen and showed Shera the website.

Emmalyn glanced around the room "What else are you interested in? There are movies, T.V. shows, games..." She trailed off to give Shera a chance to speak. She had the tendency to ramble when she was nervous and when she was excited, and she was definitely excited.
"No, my parents don't keep any muggle things at home," she responded lightly, unsure of why the girl across from her seemed to be in such a state of disbelief. Hadn't Emmalyn notice that... well most places didn't have any of these things anywhere in them.

Did the wizarding world not have these things? Shera thought for a moment. "I guess it depends? From my understanding most muggle things don't work well with magic, which is why they aren't meant to work in Hogwarts. But I guess families that have had a muggle born or have married a muggle, or even some purebloods who are interested by muggles would have these kinds of things around... but it's not like we need them when we have magic." That was her understanding of why muggles had these devices, because they didn't have magic. She decided to continue and admit, "The only experience I have in the muggle world is playing volleyball."

Look up information? Play games? Order food and clothes? How could one thing do so many things? Maybe Shera hadn't fully grasped what muggle items could do. "Huh."

Her brain was still trying to get a grip on all this new information. There was so much for her to process. Including how the pages of the computer were changing. It seemed... magical. "How can it change the way it does?"... maybe that was a bad question, one that Emmalyn might not be able to answer. But she was still curious. If she didn't know she could always go to the muggle studies professor and ask them.

What else was she interested in? She looked around the room in confusion, unsure of what everything was and where to even start. Thankfully Emmalyn listed a few things that gave her a start. "What is a... movies?"

The last word was said hesitantly, unsure if she had said it properly, but she had tried to mimic Emmalyn to the best of her ability. "And tv shows? And what kind of games do muggles play?"