View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #60 (permalink)
hermionesclone
Gladrags Mod

DMC & DMAC
Pogrebin

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Alexander River Hirsch
Gryffindor
Third Year

Hogwarts RPG Name:
--

Ministry RPG Name:
Zhuó Xiá Li

Ministry RPG Name:
Grayson Douglas Whitlock
Accidents & Catastrophes

x11 x11
urine trouble | Pat's Strong Confident Other Half | Pees Like a Champion Unicorn Racehorse

Text Cut: All of you!
Text Cut: Kimi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saz Hale View Post
Kimi listened to what the professor had asked and after noting down everything that he had said he raised his hand and said "Well it probably is fire that will cause the most damage, i also think that fire is linked more to the dark arts as it is powerful and can give any dark wizard a sense of power" Kimi wasn't sure if that was correct but it was worth having a guess

Fire? Interesting. Very interesting. And what was moreso was the mention of power. "Good mention of power as well, Mr Kovalainen. Fire does bring with it a sense of power, which is something dark practitioners are always after. It's also likely to make people feel a lot more scared. Good answer." Smile.

Text Cut: Azura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwooperOnYourLeft View Post
Azura smiled as Professor Hirsch spoke and she bowed her head a little at his praise..

Sadly though at this next question she really had no idea.. Her guess would have been fire. Seeing as she really had no way to link either one of them to the Dark Arts.. she had a mild ice guess.. but seeing as she had nothing to back it up..

She stayed quiet and waited for what everyone else had to say.

Quiet answers weren't a bad thing. Not at all. They made him worried, sure, but as long as the girl wasn't upset, he was okay with this.

The man gave her a smile before moving onwards.

Text Cut: Juno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziella View Post
Juno thought about this for a few moments. Though fire was often used in dark magic, it was also used in every day magic. Same with ice. So the only logical answer would be that they are both equally dangerous, but fire would cause more damage than ice.

With that thought, she raised her hand and wait to be called on. When she was she responded, "Well, both are used in dark and regular magic and both can be equally dangerous, but the most damaging, I think, would have to be fire. Yes, ice can freeze things, but fire disintegrates everything it touches." Yep. That was her answer. This lesson was turning out to be very interesting.

At this answer, Hirsch couldn't help but raise his eyebrows. "That's a very wise answer, I have to say." Really. "Fire is also the scarier option: the one that people would rather not go to if they could help it. But you should also remember that ice can break as well. Enough ice on a person will be enough to freeze them to death." Though, fire was quicker.

Text Cut: Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblinfrog View Post
"Hmmm..." Kitty tapped her quill against her lips as she pondered the question. Was fire more destructive than ice? Fire was definitely more destructive as far as how much it could destroy quickly. If someone screamed "Fire!" in a Muggle movie theater, everyone would panic, but if someone shouted "Ice!" people would probably just get confused. She giggled as she thought this.

But at the same time...

Her hand shot into the air. "My guess is Ice. Fire is more destructive in a literal, technical way - but since we are talking about magic and specifically the undead, I think Ice is more appropriate. I don't know if this has any basis in Necromancy, but in epic tales of good and evil Ice is usually associated with the dark side. Fire often represents passion (good or bad), but if you are cruel people describe you as having a heart cold as ice. These are just expressions I know, and of course I would much rather be facing a giant icicle than an out of control fire."

She lowered her hand, wondering if that last sentence had just ruined her theory.

And here was another wise answer, but one that was a different type of wise. Hirsch tilted his head as he heard her answer before responding with one of his own, "That's a good way of looking at it. I like the way you've linked it to the lesson today." Meant that she was paying attention as well. "Ice is the one linked with the dark arts and, in fact, dark practitioners often like to associate with the colder side of nature. There are some exceptions, of course, but that's the general look. Well done, Miss Valentine." He did like that answer.

Text Cut: Jace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Jace had his mouth slightly open as his Head of House acknowledged his answer, and by the looks of it, he was really pleased with it. The Ravenclaw quickly shut his mouth, and gave the man a quick nod of his head. In all honesty, he just pointed out the obvious, but being the modest kid that he is, there was no way he’d point it out for everyone to hear. The 14 year old got his quill again, and started to jot down notes, underlining words here and there, complete with side notes in Japanese.

He paused when the next question was raised. Fire or Ice? Now that, is a very good question, House Master. Jace took his time to construct his answer in his head, while he listened to his classmate’s answers. Ready for another round of Ravenclawing? Well, he wasn’t sure if it was the correct answer, but his response, he thought, is purely based on one’s opinion.

When no one else raised their hand, Jace got his hand up and waited for the professor to call him. “Fire and Ice are both powerful sensei, and both can be associated with the dark arts. It all depends on the intent, I suppose.” He said taking a pregnant pause as he looked beyond the flimsy barrier before them. “Fire and Ice, or water in this context can give life, and it could be used for destruction too. Fire can kill Ice, and Ice can tame Fire. So in a way, these energies are connected, much like the Yin and Yang.” Jace shifted in his seat and fiddled with his quill. “I suppose in the case of the Draugr, Fire would be the best way to defeat them since they feed on darkness. Light or Fire would suppress them more effectively.” Again, it was another case of simple logic. Jace cleared his throat, and held his head down, a bit embarrassed by how long his answer was. Sometimes, he couldn’t stop his Ravenclawing.

Here was another bought of Ravenclawing.

And Hirsch? Hirsch was amused. Was he used to this? Yes, yes he was.

"Excellent. Really excellent, Jace." Once again, he was pleased with this, especially since it branched off of Miss Diggory's 'both are equally as dangerous' part of her answer. "I particularly like your connection with the Yin and the Yang. You can't have one without the other." In a sense. "Light might only distract them but fire would do the trick."

Text Cut: Dora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriin View Post
Fire. The answer was always fire. For everything. Fire was AMAZING, okay! Dora wasn't having trouble following the topic... it wasn't difficult, you see. She didn't answer when she didn't know, though. THAT was why she remained silent until now.

"I think fire is more often linked to dark magic. Fiendfyre, for instance, is a seriously string curse. Very destructive... but if you want to fight Dark magic... wouldn't it make more sense to use ice? Kind of fight Dark with Light, maybe? " And she was totally just guessing... because she wasnt entirely sure. But that was what CLASS was for, right? To learn.

But... like... could they play with fire now? Dora had a pretty amazing relationship with fire... her wand was even SPECIAL. Dealt with FIRE AND DESTRUCTIVE magic most. Yas.

Fire, pls.

Fire? That was interesting. "Excellent mention of Fiendfyre, Miss Umbridge. I'm glad you've brought that up, in fact. It's the most dangerous type of fire there is and, without control, it can do a lot more damage than you intend it to." History was proof of that. "As for fighting ice with dark magic, that depends entirely on what you're faced with. If it's an icy creature, ice might not be the best thing to fight it with but a fire-based creature? Yes. You're completely right."

Text Cut: Jonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2111jen View Post
Fire or ice.....fire or ice.....such tough questions....in genral though they are both dammaging.
Jonas frowned though at his lack of knowledge about the living dead. Meh. He decided to take a shot.
"So fire could burn things. But ice could give you frost bite as well which can be just as dammaging" Jonas asked more then told as he raised his hand.

A short answer, this was, but it was an answer that did well at generalising the two sides. "That's a great generalisation of both sides and their different effects." He would've liked an expansion on that answer but it was something that was good and easy to remember for notes.

Text Cut: Hadleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyander View Post
Hadleigh smiled softly giving the slightest nod of her head when her answer was received. Sure her answer was a little violent but if that was how to take one down so be it. If it were her or one of those Draugr, it was going to be them. She would take it down however she had to.

Hirsch was once again going on a talking rampage which clearly meant that this teen was taking down vigorous notes. Her attention was caught by the following question and she lifted her hazel eyes onto the professor. What was more damaging, fire or ice. Well uh that would really depend on how the spells were being cast. Whatever the intent was behind it and of course who was casting the spells. Each were equally damaging in it's own right. Raising her hand a simple but not fully decided answer was given."I really don't believe either is more damaging. I think it has to do with the situation in which the spell is being used for. It would also depend on the casters power and intent when using a certain spell as well." Not an exact answer but chances were if it came down to it both sides could be argued upon.

Was he surprised that Hadleigh was giving a wise answer? No. Not at all.

Though it did make him happy to hear that answer from her. "Excellent, Miss Lynch. Really excellent!" See? Happy. "I would have to agree with you there. It depends on the situation and what you're up against. One side would work better than the other in different situations. And, of course, intent is always key." He was glad that she had mentioned that.

Text Cut: Paige
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpinkpixie View Post
Paige was busy jotting down notes about draugr, and still was, when Professor Hirsch posed his next question. Setting her quill down, the seventh year found herself distracted looking at the bows and arrows while her gaze also drifted to the targets from time to time. So...flaming arrows then? That had been something that someone had mentioned earlier in the lesson, yeah? That made things even more unsettling...

The brunette was only half hearing her classmates, but something Dora mentioned stuck and she came to somewhere in the middle of what the Head Girl was saying. Which really only prompted a question that made the Hufflepuff's hand go up. "Professor...is there any ice based magic that can combat Fiendfyre?"

Intent and power of the caster aside, history had shown them just how powerful that bewitched fire was when performed someone merely 17 years of age.

As for her own general thoughts on which was more associated with Dark magic, fire or ice, her thoughts immediately went to fire. Not just because of the spell in question, but fire associated with brewing sinister potions also came to mind.

Oh, this was interesting.

Any ice-based magic that can combat the Fiendfyre? Hirsch paused, rubbing the scruff on his chin. "The sad truth is: no. It cannot be extinguished by normal or enchanted water. That's why Fiendfyre is considered to be the most dangerous type of fire and, when casting the spell, control is more than important."

Text Cut: Junia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheBurrow View Post
Fire or ice. Warmth or Cold. It really did depend entirely on how you were thinking about each, didn't it? Junia busied herself with doodling in her notes as she thought it over, trying to figure out what she wanted to say.

"I think fire would be the answer, but I also think fire has good attributes like warmth and light, that ice lacks. Ice, to me, is cold and stinging, you know? When you die, you go all icy cold. That seems pretty dark to me."

Miss Botros didn't disappoint with her answers. "Excellent mention of their attributes. You're quite right in mentioning that, actually. Less positive attributes might be why some dark practitioners favour the icy nature. Very good, Miss Botros."

Text Cut: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurange View Post
Brian was, to say the least, not the best at Defense Against the Dark Arts. But it was the only subject with practical application that still felt worth taking (aside from Transfiguration, but the Hufflepuff had always loved that subject) and he did need a certificate to graduate. Besides, it probably wouldn't look nice if the Hufflepuff prefect dropped all his subjects save for three. He'd taken fewer for his OWLs than some of his classmates anyway.

But the question and answer bit of lessons rarely made sense to him, simply because he wasn't very sure exactly how these magical things worked, despite being around them for nearly six years now. It was still strange and foreign and he was, to some extent, still waiting to be spoonfed.

So.

He'd just sit here and pay rapt attention.

But personally, he did feel like ice was far more dangerous than fire.

Unfortunately for Mr Woods, Hirsch didn't spoonfeed anyone. He preferred to let them reach conclusions by themselves, with his own small prodding every now and then. Let them learn by themselves. It was a much better way of retaining information, he found.

But the lack of an answer didn't bother the man. No. As long as he was paying attention.

Text Cut: Blaise
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDiNardo View Post
A laugh was always good. At least this time the Professor could see the humour in his statement. A step up from the last time he'd really attempted humour in the man's class. Although...he wasn't actually going for humour. Given the chance and a huge wall, the Gryffindor really WOULD have poked the thing with a stick and according to Hirsch, he might not have even become undead lunch afterwards.

That urge to actually see and poke one now was ridiculously huge and growing by the second.

His quill did its best to keep up with the answers offered while the boy tried working out an answer of his own.

Which caused more damage? Ice or Fire? "I'm gonna have to go with fire Professor." It just seemed like the more....destructive of the two elements mentioned. "I mean, ice can be pretty awful too but it takes a while to have a real effect. Fire is more.....full force, burning almost instantly, painful screams, oh merlin we're the lake when you need it kind of deal." At least, that's the way he saw it.

While the man generally liked to ignore the quill as much as possible, he couldn't help but glance at it as it wrote down a few things. What, he didn't know, but he clearly remembered the first lesson he held here and the way Blaise's quill was prone to dramatics. So, naturally, seeing it jotting things down intrigued him.

But not as much as this answer did.

"Yes! Yes, that's an excellent point and I'm glad you've brought it up, actually," he said, looking over at the Gryffindor and smiling, "Fire acts quicker and people think it's deadlier because of it. Ice, however, causes a slow death, making you slowly suffer while enduring it. Well done, Blaise." See what happens when he pays attention?

Text Cut: Kat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticStrawberry View Post
So this lesson was starting to get really interesting and dark. Kat perked her ears up, Defense against the dark arts was absolutely her favorite lessons. It really helped her with her dueling and she had even thought about becoming a auror. So doing well in this class meant a lot.

Catching up on her notes about necromancy and the Draugr. As pretty much everyone agreed that fire was more dangerous than ice. The third year raised her hand, "Fire, like eveyone else said. I think fire is quicker and can spread faster, while ice is slower." She hoped that made sense to him.

Another mention of time? Good. "Exactly! At least with ice, you could find a way to get out of it. Fire gives you very little time to react, especially if it's a particularly powerful flame. Well done, Miss Delgado.."

And yes, that did make sense to him.

Moving on? It was a good time to do so. Even if it was a little early, according to his watch.

"That was an excellent range of answers. Many of you mentioned their traits and attributes and thought about exactly how they can cause damage. Well done, all of you." Keep all of that in mind, okay?

"In cases like this, always remember that the situation makes the most difference. Personally, I believe that both are equally as bad as each other but depending on what you're faced with, you have to decide for yourself which one to use. Both can be used against each other." Pause. "However, Fiendfyre has been known to cause slightly more damage and there's no magical or non-magical water-based defence against it, partly because it sucks out the moisture in the air and that's what you need when you conjure water." Just to let you know.

"Now!" he said, clapping his hands once, "We move onto the slightly more action-packed part of the lesson. Fire is the one to kill the Draugr but it's also the element that you need to gain a lot of control over. Today, we're going to practice that." Or, well, they are.

"I want everyone to pack up their things and get up onto their feet. I have one of two options for you: You can either grab a pair of dragon-hide gloves and a pair of bow and arrow or use your wands for this. Then, move towards the targets." A slight pause so that they could get started on the activity itself.

"If you've grabbed a pair of bow and arrows, I want you to set fire to the tip of it and aim carefully towards the target. For those of you using wands, cast a fire spell as carefully as you can towards the target. This is a lesson on control and being able to shoot as accurately as possible." Pause. "But do be careful: I don't want anyone being taken to the Hospital Wing." Just saying. "A list of spells is........." Cue a flick of his wand.

Quote:
- incendio
in-SEN-dee-o

- incendio duo
in-SEN-dee-oh DOO-oh

- incendio tria
in-SEN-dee-oh TREE-ah

- confringo
con-FREEN-go

- lacarnum inflamari
A stretch of letters appeared in mid-air, magnified for all of them to see. ".... up here. Ready? Go!"

OOC: Mini-activity time! ^^ The practice is simple:
- Either have your charrie setting fire to the tip of their arrow and shooting at the range OR
- They can use their wands to cast the fire spell. Any fire spell of their choice from the list

Thing to remember:
- There is a shield around each target area so any fire spells cast that doesn't hit the target will probably end up dissolving into the wall
- No injuries please! I will not be a happy unicorn if that happens *stern faces or something*

I'm going to give you guys until 20th November at 23:59pm GMT. There's no post limit so go crazy! ^^

Last edited by hermionesclone; 11-20-2016 at 02:27 AM.