View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 04:25 AM

Post J.K. Rowling reveals her favorite 'Fantastic Beasts' creatures, writing characters

J.K. Rowling discussed some of the characters of her new Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them film series in a new set of interviews released by Warner Bros. as part of promotion for the first feature out this November 18th.

Rowling commented on what drew her to tell Newt Scamander's story, which was already building into her head when she wrote the original schoolbook Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them over 15 years ago, as well as a couple of her favorite magical creatures.

All that, as well as how much she loved working with director David Yates and Harry Potter screenwriter Steven Kloves on the new series, can be read below.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: During the writing of the [Fantastic Beasts] book, I became interested in its ostensible author, Newt Scamander, and he took on quite a bit of life for me. So I was very enthusiastic when the studio came to me and said they wanted to make it into a movie because I already had the back story in my mind and it just so happened that they'd optioned the very thing I was most interested in. And I knew if it were to happen, I would have to write it because I know too much about Newt to let someone else do it.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: My heroes are always people who have the courage to say, 'I see how it is, but it doesn't have to be that way'. They are the ones willing to ask, 'Why is it this way?'

The friendship that develops between the four of them is the most important thing in the movie. It's always the relationships between the characters in my movies that carry you through.

[Queenie] is a Legilimens, meaning she can read minds. What's interest about her is she is constantly underestimated because of her appearance. She is very beautiful, but people who look just at the surface don't realize that she can see more deeply than anyone else. She was a fun character to write.

Mary Lou [Barebone] is quite charismatic and, on the surface, a very kind woman. But, in fact, she is physically and psychologically abusive to the children she has adopted. She is aware magic exists and vindictive towards anyone who practices it.

I hope people care about these characters. I hope audiences become invested in their stories and want to see where their adventures take them to the future.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: David Yates really knows this world and we work very well together, so I was thrilled that he wanted to do the film. And David Heyman has been there from the start, so I couldn't imagine doing it without him.

I wanted Steve [Kloves] involved because - having never written a screenplay before - I knew I would need some guidance. Just having him there for advice was huge.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: I wanted to have one thing that was quintessentially American, and the Thunderbird is. I feel a special kinship for birds. I loved Dumbledore's phoenix, and I wanted a bird in this film with its own mythology. When the thunder bird flaps its multiple wings, it creates storms, so it's a powerful, mythical creature.

[Her favorite magical creatures]
They have the ability to become invisible at will, which is a power that has always appealed to me, so I love the Demiguise.
Read SnitchSeeker's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them set visit reports right here, including about the great things the cast said about Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, and how 1926-era New York City came to life.

Fandango - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Tickets