View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 12:36 AM

Post 'Fantastic Beasts' leads Tina & Newt's romance teased as 'slow build' by actors

It should be of no surprise to anyone who read J.K. Rowling's original Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book, released for charity 15 years ago, that Newt Scamander does eventually fall in love with and marries Porpetina Goldstein.

In the short bio about Scamander, the very last paragraph noted that Newt and his wife Porpentina - at the time of the book's publication in 2001 - were retired and living with their pet kneazles.

At this weekend's EW Popfest, Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterston, who bring Newt and Tina to life on the big screen in the five-part film Fantastic Beasts film series, commented on their early relationship in the first movie - which Waterston called 'combative' - and how it will be a slow build in getting the two together.

It might be safe to say that Newt and Tina won't probably get together in the first movie, and fans will have to wait in later installments.

Quote:
Eddie Redmayne: “One of the things I loved about this script when I first read it is, I think J.K. Rowling had always seen it as telling a larger story, but the film is it’s own thing. And actually the relationships that you see arrive in the film, they stand together as one sort of whole piece. But what I love is the relationship starts kind of –”

Katherine Waterston: “Combative.”

Redmayne: “It’s not love at first sight, put it that way – maybe there’s a bit of chemistry at first sight, but it’s quite combative. But what was lovely was to play a slow build, to be able to play this kind of — these characters are thrown into a world, this quartet together [Newt, Tina, her sister Queenie, and No-Maj Jacob Kowalski]. They’re all outsiders in some ways, and yet they have really heroic qualities within them. So it’s kind of lovely for us to not rush that and be able to play it slow.”

Waterston: “You know that eventually you know these two people end up together. So you can see and look for when they start to notice each other, you know what I mean? Because you’re in on it in a way that I think is really fun.”
Read SnitchSeeker's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them set visit reports right here, including about the great things the cast said about Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, and how 1926-era New York City came to life.

Fandango - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Tickets