View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 AM   #85 (permalink)
Cassirin

Site Manager

MO
Manticore

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mercer Branxton
Ravenclaw
Seventh Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Genevieve James
Minister's Office

x7 x8
Made of Awesome | Ern-la the Best-wa | TZ's Apogee

SPOILER!!: Quotes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Yay new chapter!! I love these characters. <3 <3
Awww, I'm so glad <3<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
ew...Shacklebolt is the worst.
HE IS THE WORST. I KNOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
LOL I can totally see Filch just continually replacing Mrs. Norris with another incarnation of her.

and also..."Now you belong to him?"
I wonder if he just thinks its one long and continuous cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbrush View Post
Eurgh Yates seems awful. But interesting Slythering/Gryffindor alliance... And like SilverTiger love the Mrs Norris incarnation reference
He's very very terrible, but... yeah, this is an alliance that can lead to a whole lot of future trouble.

7.1 Jayne Gets a Date

The promise that she would sabotage Yates' chances for Head Boy hadn't been the only one Rose made that day in Hogsmeade. Jayne was being stoic, which was to be expected, and she hadn't reminded Rose about their conversation even once since they'd returned to the castle. Although it might be her imagination, she sometimes supposed she saw curiosity in Jayne's face, a hungry wondering about whether or not Rose had been sincere in her promise to find her a date to Hogsmeade.

For her part, she had been perfectly sincere, but it wasn't the easiest of tasks. Gryffindor males were good in a pinch, but most of them would delight in oversharing that Jayne required Rose to find dates for her. There was the added wrinkle that most of those who were suitable dates viewed Jayne as one of the chaps. Briefly, she considered Al, but immediately rejected the idea. If the point of this exercise was to make Jayne feel better about herself, one of the minor ones was to show James what he'd missed. Not just James, either. Fred, Aiden, Dane, Petey... and even Al, all of them hadn't seen how clever and witty and mischievous Jayne Wood could be. She had to be a more interesting date than girls like Delaney Baird or Alyson Sutton, both of whom were generally considered among the prettiest in their year and both of whom were about as interesting to chat with as a door knob. Alyson, at least, had things to say, although they were typically about herself.

As weeks passed, Rose worked her way through the potential dates with her usual ruthless lists and charts. The next Hogsmeade weekend was in mid-December, and although she was slowly running out of time, it was more important to find the right boy than it was to do it quickly. Even if she still hadn't chosen someone a week out. She crossed and cut and scribbled on her list when her homework was finished, finally whittling the list down to one name; a name she realized that she probably should have picked right from the start because it was so obviously right. Scorpius Malfoy.

Not only did the Slytherin have no open lines of communication with the Gryffindor males, making it unlikely he'd ever rat Rose out to them, but he had a decided interest in keeping her complicity a secret. Taking Jayne out would make the boys irate, especially as she was essentially an extension of the Weasley family and thus as untouchable as Rose was. But more importantly, he felt trustworthy to her, an adjective Rose didn't apply lightly, even if she wasn't sure what informed her instincts in this case. He was practiced with girls, but he never seemed overtly disrespectful. Just because Rose didn't like how he jumped from one to another didn't mean she couldn't see that he was honest about it. Malfoy would know how to react to Jayne's shyness and inexperience on a first date, and he wouldn't be offended if she tried to bluff her way through like one of the boys. He could handle himself, essentially, and he could make sure Jayne came out having a good time. It was mostly speculation, but Rose felt as if her conclusions, based entirely on observation and anecdotal proof, were solid.

"I'm asking him tomorrow," Rose dropped onto the sofa beside Al and leaned around to speak to Jayne perched on the opposite arm of the sofa. "Just so you know."

"Who?" Jayne didn't need any additional clues to know exactly what they were talking about. She slid down onto the sofa, legs sprawling across Al, who didn't seem remotely bothered about being her cushion.

"You'll see. I'll tell you tomorrow how it goes."

"What?" Al's green eyes were inquisitive as he looked from Rose to Jayne. "What are we asking who?"

"Girl talk, Albus." She blew him a noisy kiss, ignoring his scowl, and returned to the group of third years wanting to practice their palmistry homework on her.

The only obstacle left to her was actually convincing Malfoy that it was in his best interest to take Jayne to Hogsmeade. After Double Potions class on Monday afternoon was the best time to catch him, as Al and Yates made a run for Quidditch practice and Rose had a long break before dinner. She could take as long as necessary to secure Jayne the date she deserved. Once class was dismissed, Rose waited at the back of the classroom for Malfoy. As she'd expected, Al left immediately without questioning how slowly she packed her bag. She earned her fair share of odd glances as the rest of the class exited, but Rose ignored them in favor of the tall Slytherin making his way toward the back of the room.

"Scorpius."

Despite the fact that everyone in the room spotted that Rose was waiting on him, she felt like her greeting caught him by surprise. His gaze flickered in her direction and his expression wavered for a moment, a fleeting warmth in his eyes and a set to his mouth that was at odds with their previous interactions. If she didn't know better, it was almost friendly.

"Weasley." His tone was politely cautious, but the use of her last name set the tone. Not friends, barely acquaintances, in spite of the enormous favor she was about to demand. She'd just owe him. An even trade of favors.

She wrapped her arms around herself in a sort of strangling hug. All through class, she'd reminded herself that so long as she remained calm and sensible, Scorpius just had to see that doing things her way was best. Now that the moment had come, Rose found the words choking off in her throat. She should start with being brave and then move on to calm and sensible. Gryffindor-style.

"Will you... will you walk with me a ways? Just to the staircase?"

Malfoy gauged Rose with dispassionate eyes before glancing past her. Perhaps he wondered who they were trying to fool this time, but the room was empty, and Malfoy turned his now curious gaze back on Rose. He nodded once, finally, and Rose decided that even a little cooperation was better than getting shut down completely.

In the corridor, Burke lingered, and Malfoy joined him for a brief conference in low tones. Unnerved at finding herself the likely source of intense conversation without actually being permitted to join said conversation, Rose twisted the end of her plait in one hand until something Malfoy said caused Burke to laugh and give Rose an unreadable look. She released her hair and watched him depart with hard eyes, his laughter making Rose positively crackle with suppressed fury.

"I don't see Shacklebolt anywhere nearby," Malfoy commented in a low voice when he joined her.

Rose measured out her silence as she started them down the corridor. Jayne was more important than her temper, although she hoped Malfoy could feel some of her displeasure at whatever mockery had just occurred at her expense. Still, the corridor was only so long, and she didn't have forever to get to the point. "I wanted to ask a favor of you, actually." She would not rise to the bait and discuss Yates, no matter that he seemed like a mutual enemy. "Have you already asked someone to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

Malfoy idly reached out to let his fingers trail against the stone wall as they walked, measuring out his own silence for a few infuriating moments. "If you want me to ask you, Weasley, wouldn't you rather have an audience?"

"If I wanted to go with you, Malfoy, I would have said. The whole idea that boys have to initiate everything is so archaic and... not the point." Perhaps it was her tone, or perhaps her word, although it was likely the fact that Rose was delaying as much as possible that drew Malfoy to a stop in the middle of the corridor. His flat expression spoke volumes, and Rose choked out the rest quickly. "You know my friend Jayne Wood? I want you to go to Hogsmeade with her. On a date."

The words hung in the air between them, seemingly incapable of penetrating the non-face that Malfoy continued to make. He leaned back against the wall with crossed arms, and she could feel him measuring again, although this time it was the weight of her words. Honestly, Rose couldn't blame him for not immediately trusting that she meant exactly what she said or wondering at her motives.

"You know, that's not normally how these things are done," Malfoy finally responded. "But you tell me why, and I might think about it."

"Think of the uncharted Gryffindor territory. You're a pioneer," Rose offered a tight half-grin. At least he hadn't said no right out, which felt like half the battle won and strengthened her resolve. "And you'll make James go crazy. He might have an aneurysm or something. Plus, she's good company, you know? She can talk you under the table about Quidditch, and she's got a great sense of humor." And, to Rose, she was pretty enough that his classmates couldn't really protest too vociferously, although it felt mercenary to mention it. Rose wasn't going to reduce one of her best mates to 'pretty enough', and she wasn't going to suggest that Malfoy was shallow enough to care about something like that.

He watched her for a long moment, as if he wanted to peel back her layers to get at the nugget truth hidden in the center of her words. "You don't need to sell her to me. I want to know your reasons for asking me. You surely have some or you wouldn't be asking."

"I can't..." Rose dropped her eyes to the stone floor under his scrutiny. "Someone treated her badly on the last Hogsmeade weekend. I can't say more than that. It would mean a lot to her if someone like you would be willing to be seen with her. And it might make that someone feel bad about being a gigantic prat." She begged whatever gods might be listening that he not ask for clarification on 'someone like you'. She might be forced to compliment him.

"I can think of precisely three gigantic prats," Malfoy answered wryly. "Does she know you're doing this? And that you're asking me?" Only three? Rose could count more than that on one hand, but perhaps Malfoy's definition was different than hers. She had higher expectations for Wizarding kind, clearly. Then again, all three on Malfoy's list were probably related to her.

"She knows I'm asking someone, but no, she doesn't know I'm asking you specifically. I hardly think she'd object." She may have been playing to his ego, but honestly, if anything was likely to make James regret overlooking how amazing Jayne was, it would be seeing her out with Malfoy. Even Jayne would realize that. "Do you object?"

"No," he said quietly. "I don't. But it will be on my terms, assuming she agrees when I ask, and you'll stay out of it, Rose Weasley." It wasn't as if she could argue with him when she was asking him a favor, but Rose was all wide eyes at being specifically banned from interfering. Maybe he needed her to help make sure things went smoothly! Especially if he was intent on doing the asking himself, maybe he needed her to orchestrate the meeting or help him figure out what to say or... Or.

"I'm bossy, remember? I'm not good at staying out of anything. But... I agree."

"Learn," he suggested as he pushed off the wall and headed off in the direction Burke had disappeared, the direction in which Rose assumed the Slytherin Common Room was located. "I'll see you at dinner, Weasley."

There was no chance to catch Jayne, not with Quidditch practice running all the way up until dinner, but Rose waited in the Entrance Hall with her Arithmancy homework. Because she was seated on the stairs, Rose garnered a number of strange looks from the younger students scuttling out to enjoy the first snowfall of the year. It was a light snow and wouldn't stick, but they seemed intent on running and screaming as if snow was a miracle none had experienced before. Winter enthusiasm in the student body generally lasted until after Christmas, when the grounds alternated between muddy and too miserable for extended time outside.

Raucous yelling filled the Entrance Hall as the Gryffindor Quidditch team appeared, dotted with snowflakes and dripping sweat. They'd been nearly irrepressible since their victory over Slytherin, and with their next game against Hufflepuff scheduled in February, Rose had a feeling that practices were more about showing off for each other and for the few students that showed up to watch than they were about improving. The boys all smelled especially ripe, even from several feet away, and Rose was happy to wave them into the Great Hall for dinner. As soon as the last of them had disappeared, Rose tackled Jayne, whipping the tie from her hair and fingercombing the sweaty strands into place.

"Don't flip out, but Malfoy is going to ask you to Hogsmeade. You're going to say yes." Her tone was no-nonsense. Of course Jayne was going to say yes, especially after she'd gone to all the trouble of finding her such a date. One that was guaranteed to set chins wagging and jaws dropping. Especially Potter jaws.

"He is?" Jayne swatted briefly at Rose's hands, but they stilled when the words sunk in. "I am? Malfoy?"

Considering she was in her Quidditch robes and her damp hair was waving back from her face, Jayne looked well enough. Rose stopped fussing over her. "Think about it. There is no one in the entire school that will make James more upset than Malfoy. Now, I'll be right in the Great Hall. You look great."

"What?" Jayne grabbed at Rose, who twisted out of her grip with a delighted little laugh. It was, perhaps, cruel to leave Jayne so completely confused about what was about to happen, but Rose had promised Malfoy she wouldn't interfere. Giving her friend fair warning was as much as she dared to do without fearing reprisal from Malfoy for violating his terms. Rose retreated only a few meters away to lurk just inside the entrance to the Great Hall, where she was able to watch and listen as much as possible without actually being part of the conversation.

Malfoy appeared only a minute or so later, flanked by Haneda and Burke as they exited the staircase leading up from the dungeons. When Malfoy paused in the Entrance Hall, his two friend continued on to dinner. Haneda offered Rose a polite nod, but Burke smirked at her. It galled her to think that Malfoy had shared her request with the members of his house, mostly because Rose hadn't foreseen that wrinkle in her master plan. She'd been worrying over who he might tell in Gryffindor, but it hadn't occurred to her that Malfoy might spill everything to his friends. Who would they tell?

"I bet she ruined it, your Weasley," Malfoy nodded toward where Rose lurked, and she disappeared back behind the door again. "And you know what I'm going to ask, which isn't quite the same is it? So just pretend like you have no idea, just for a second." Although there was a heavily panelled door between her and the two in the hall, Rose could hear amusement in his voice. It wasn't a joke, though! Surely he was taking this seriously!

She peeped around the door frame again, gauging that enough time had passed Malfoy might have forgotten she was lurking. It wasn't as if he'd said she couldn't watch, though. Right? So what did it matter if he knew she was there?

Jayne shoved her hair back over her ears, ruining any of Rose's attempts at styling in a moment. "You know how it is. When Rosie makes up her mind... I think she figured I'd say no if she didn't prep me." With both hands, she wiped the air between them as if clearing a slate. "Malfoy. How's it?"

Malfoy straightened and his grin grew wider, more cocky, and his face tipped toward Rose once again, although his eyes never left Jayne's face. That was called manners, and they didn't teach them to Gryffindor boys, apparently. "You know, the only things I know about you are Quidditch related? But I happen to think you can tell a lot about a person by the way they play . You, for instance. You're quick, but you're not reckless; you're willing to get in the thick of it but you're smart enough to stay on the edge and find the perfect opening too. You don't hog all the glory, you care about your team and you can execute a Porkoff Ploy better than any player I know. It intrigues me, all of that, but I can't fill in the blanks just by wondering about how good you are on the pitch." He was completely in earnest, his entire focus on Jayne in that one moment. "I'd like to get to know you better, Jayne Wood. Would you come with me to Hogsmeade this weekend? Just you and I, and probably a snowflake or two. It is getting a little cold out."

If there were other people around, they would likely all be hanging on every word the way Rose was currently, and she looped her hand around the gigantic door handle in order to lean in for a better listen. Was there such a thing as sympathetic nerves? There must be, because she felt as if a hole had opened in her chest, allowing everything to plummet into her stomach. Imagine... all that effort and intention in asking Jayne on a date, and he hadn't even been planning to do so less than two hours ago. She couldn't even picture what it would be like if the date was his own idea.

Jayne seemed to think so too. "Merlin. That's loads better than 'Wood. Hogsmeade?'" Jayne let out a great gust of air that was half laugh and half choked sigh. Her eyes drifted to meet Rose's, eyebrows climbing up into the girl's hairline, and Rose felt like she could read her friend's mind. Is this for real? "If you're certain, then I'd love to go. Should we meet in the village?"

"We could walk down together," he offered.

"We could." Jayne agreed with a widening grin. "This is going to be fun, Malfoy. Scorpius? Eh. It'll be brilliant." She nudged his arm with the handle of the broom she still carried in emphasis.

"Scorpius. Or Scorp if you prefer." He grinned and caught up the end of her broom, his expression going from curious to impressed in a moment. "A Cloudskimmer 900!" Malfoy released the broom and very carefully put his hands behind his back as if he were tempted to run off with it and take it for a spin.

Jayne brushed the handle with fond fingers before placing the broom behind her own back, playfully protecting it from Malfoy's thievery. "I love this broom more than I love my own mother. I would trade her, plus two brothers, if anyone ever took it hostage. And I'm only exaggerating a very little bit." With a cheeky look that was quite familiar to Rose, Jayne turned toward the door where Rose waited, breathless.

"I feel the same way about mine," Scorpius answered with a quiet chuckle.

"I'll see you on Saturday, Scorp." Jayne dropped her voice, although Rose could still hear her quite clearly. "Feel free to torture our little Rosie by not telling her a thing about it. I think she deserves that."

"She won't hear a thing from me." With a flick, Malfoy straightened his tie as he strode past Rose, not sparing her even the slightest glance. Perhaps she should be grateful for it, as she simply gaped at him as he went, incapable of stringing thoughts together until Jayne linked her arm through Rose's and tugged her toward the Gryffindor table.

"You have an interesting sense of humor, Rosie," Jayne gave Rose's earlobe a little tug, and then she purposefully seated herself in among the other girls in their year, Delaney and Rileigh and Nicki Jordan with Alberta seated a few seats down. She squished over so Rose couldn't sit beside her and stuck out her tongue playfully. "I don't want to talk about it with you yet. I'm a bit put out with you." Her laughing expression and sparkling eyes belied that statement, but Rose wasn't about to argue. It was the most self-possessed and joyful Rose had seen her in ages, and she hadn't even been on the date yet.

As she made her way down the table to take a seat with Al, Rose congratulated herself on a job well done and ignored the confused twisting she felt in her stomach. She obviously didn't trust Malfoy and that was why she felt so odd about his conversation with Jayne. It was just that it was so out of character, and it made her doubt him.

"You looked pleased with yourself." Al sopped up gravy with his chips, turning an eye on Rose. He was too clever by half. By more than half, really. Still, he was Jayne's mate and deserved the opportunity to know how genius Rose had been on her behalf. Maybe later, she'd share the whole plan with him.

Rose sent a gloating glance in Malfoy's direction, but a shriek and scuffle from down the table caught her attention. It took Al, Rose, and Aiden McLaggen to pull Lily back across the table, and the boys carried her from the Great Hall slung between them while Rose stayed to wring gravy from Jayne's hair. Apparently, Jayne had mentioned her date to the other sixth year girls within Lily's hearing, and the irate fourth year hadn't taken the news well. News of the incident, and what had sparked it, spread quickly down the table, earning mutinous looks from a number of Gryffindor males. Idiots. Rose ignored them and pulled pot roast from Jayne's eyebrows.

"At least life isn't boring," Jayne sighed.

Awakening ★ Spiritual ★ Hopeful ★ Honest