View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 05:28 PM

Post 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child's star & producer comment on Hermione casting

Actor Jamie Parker, who will take over Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Cursed Child London plays, recently spoke out about his support of costar Noma Dumezweni's casting as Hermione Granger. Parker is seen in the center of the photograph below.

Quote:
Jamie Parker: “In real terms, it’s a debate that is over before it’s even begun. JK Rowling has given her complete support to the production so it’s game over as far as I am concerned.”

“It doesn’t surprise me but it doesn’t depress me and I think we are lucky to have Noma. She is brilliant. I’ve known her for over 10 years and she is a stonking actress who is going to be a brilliant Hermione. I can’t wait to get started.”
The Cursed Child plays' producer Sonia Friedman also commented on her surprise over the outcry when Dumezweni was cast, and supports the casting 100 percent - as does author J.K. Rowling.

Quote:
Sonia Friedman: "It seemed like a really, really wonderful idea to cast this great, brilliant actor in this role. As we got closer to announcing I think we all took a moment and realised that this might be considered a surprise, but we embraced it."

"We were surprised at the amount of coverage but we were also excited by it because it creates an important discussion and it moves our industry forward and it moves the debate forward. There is no question in my mind that when people see this production and see all the casting choices we have made, not just Noma, [they will see] why we have made them."
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will open in London's Palace Theatre starting late May, starring Parker, Dumezweni and Paul Thornley as Ron Weasley.