Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Student Spotlight: Zhenya Burton
by Gabriel Banner_and_Eden McGee

Of the many Hogwarts’ students who perform to the best of their abilities and who show, through their admirable skills and remarkable personality traits, what a shining Hogwartian looks like, one student has come to mind for many: seventh year Zhenya Burton.

Zhenya is a Slytherin who not only impresses her own housemates, but everyone who comes into contact with her. She is kind, smart, and clearly emulates what it means to be a hardworking and ambitious Slytherin. The Quill sat down to chat with the soon-to-be-alum Zhenya to discuss...well, her.

Through a collection of the Hogwarts Professors and your peers, you were chosen as our first Student Spotlight. How does that feel? What are your thoughts?

I was? WOW! Really? Awesome! I feel... I feel surprised, and very pleased to be chosen. I feel honoured. As for my thoughts, I think that perhaps this year, being my final year at Hogwarts and my final chance to learn from these great people, I've really tried to step it up a bit. I want to hear what the Professors are speaking about, and I want to participate in discussions and also get to know my classmates a bit more before I leave, so that I have more connections. In doing so, in encouraging myself to reach my full potential, I've really gotten to know more of my classmates, and Professors, and gained a deeper appreciation of their specialties, and maybe my efforts have been noticed. I think that's really cool, it makes me want to do more for Hogwarts and the people within the castle.

Speaking of professors and their specialties, you seem to have a deep appreciation for what you've learned. So, moving forward, which lessons do you feel have had the most impact on you?

I do, I very much appreciate the Professors and all the effort they put into teaching us not only in putting in the effort to teach us things, and to make it fun, but to teach in a way that we understand. That's always the key, I think.

Potions and Herbology have definitely made the most impact on me. My grandfather used to homeschool me in Russia before I started Hogwarts, and he was a potioneer so he spent a lot of time teaching me potions and herbology and I really loved learning about them. So continuing with those subjects was not only comforting and interesting, it also reinforced my ambitions to become a healer and to be able to make my own healing potions to improve the treatment for magical maladies and injuries.

I've heard there's quite a bit of coursework involved in earning any type of Healing license. So, I must ask, when did you first realize this was your ambition in life?

Well I'm up for the challenge. Erm… well my father is a healer, and he works at St. Mungo's, so I've always sort of idolised them, the healers I've met, from a young age. It was also my grandfather, as well. He taught me a few healing potions, and towards the end of his life he had taught me enough about specific ones so that I could continue to make them for him. Under his supervision. I guess just having that knowledge and ability to help someone by doing something I love is really appealing. I love potions, I love reading about potions and brewing potions, and I'm really interested in the herbology behind it, so putting it all into one career, as a healer, was almost the obvious thing for me to do.

That's definitely admirable. Staying in the vein of 'helping people', though, one of the reasons you were chosen was due to your compassion towards your peers. What motivates you to be so caring towards others?

I… I just don't think I can be any other way. I think I'm naturally flicked over to care about other people. I suppose... I like to be around people, and I like it when those people are happy, so if they're not I want to help them with whatever it is that is troubling them.

Seeing as this is your final term at Hogwarts, do you have any parting advice for the students that will return? Whether it's academic or otherwise.

To the younger years, don't worry if you get lost. You'll never be alone. Seek out a castle ghost, speak to a portrait, summon a Hogwarts House Elf, or send up red sparks. Also, approach lessons with an open mind. Take classes you love, of course, but challenge yourself with those that are either difficult for you or that don't particularly interest you, and proceed with a positive attitude. You might find you love it. And if you really struggle, get help from classmates or the professors.

To the older years, don't procrastinate studying for exams, and leave it for the last minute. Do little bits, borrow a Ravenclaw's notes, and revise coursework after lessons...and keep revising it. Keep it fresh in your mind! And to the Seventh Years, especially, have fun. You only have seven years here. Make it count!

In the essence of making it count, we wish Zhenya a fulfilling experience outside these magical walls that coincides with the enormous effort she put forth during her school days here at Hogwarts.