Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Reclaiming the Robes
Tips for Pulling Off a Retro Look

by Ruby Banner

Anyone who knows me would know that I used to think the wizarding world is totes lucky that times have changed and we aren't expected to wear robes and cloaks day in and day out anymore. When it comes to clothing, I'm that girl who always walked around with the mantra less is more (and we all know that Professor Bellaire completely disagreed with me on that!). Not only is it totally more acceptable to wear muggle clothes, but there are plenty of wizarding designers whose creations would be considered genius even amongst the muggle fashion elite, meaning in this day and age it's easy to be a fashionably modern witch. But what happens when you want to embrace wizarding culture and go retro with robes? Can you still be fashionable? And more importantly, while heavy robes are great in the cold winter months, how are you supposed to embrace the style without being a sweaty uncomfortable mess underneath all that fabric?

It turns out there are a ton of charms which have fallen out of favour now that wizarding robes are no longer considered everyday wear. Cooling charms are a must have in summer and will make any robes far more comfortable. Wrinkle-free charms, impervius, and feather-light spells also are ideal for keeping your robes pristine and comfy no matter what you get up to. In fact, I spoke to a designer of Quidditch uniforms and most of these spells are added to Quidditch robes and capes when they are made, so there's even some legitimate science in there somewhere for any curious Ravenclaws out there who aren't going to take me at my word.

Clearly robes and cloaks still have their place in our culture, mostly in the workplace or educational institutions like Hogwarts, but even so, everyday robe wearing seems to be a thing of the past. I think it's time to bring them back as an everyday fashion staple and start a new retro trend. Any colours will do, it's up to how you want to express yourself. Whether you like long and flowing, or tailored and structured, every witch and wizard can find a style that suits them. Shorter, more lightweight styles make perfect beach cover-ups, and every young witch should own a set of robes they don't mind leaving the house in, even if it's just to sneak a more risque outfit that you have on underneath past your parents. And if you want people to take your magical ability seriously, a smart set of robes can make the wizard just as well as a tailored suit is known to make the man -obvy this applies to girls too if you happen to be that sort.

Let's not forget how comfy they are either. This is one of the areas where muggle clothing is inferior since seams, waistbands, cuffs, and other parts of muggle garments can rub or dig in or otherwise irritate the wearer if worn without charms, while comfort is simply built into the design of robes, no matter what style you go for. Clearly in summertime you want to be as cool and comfortable as possible, so this summer, why not rethink your wardrobe and retro it up with robes?