View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #61 (permalink)
StarShine
Special Services to the School

DoM
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mona Deandra Hellmann
Gryffindor
First Year
x5 x6
¼ of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pls

Text Cut: Felix, Ern, Liam, Julia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
"No," he said simply. "No they wouldn't." Toby had just now decided that his original question had been rhetorical, now that he'd heard the answer and realised he didn't like it. NOPE, SIR. REQUEST DENIED. Toby shook his head, smiling a little in an 'oh, you!' kind of way. "That doesn't happen, don't you worry, sir."
"Can you still get a haircut if you use the potion?" Or would it, like... make the scissors SHATTER? IRON HAIR.

And as for the professor's question, yep... of course. "... Impervius Charm?" Toby said it as a question this time, though. And also added clarification... again. "For splash damage."
No they wouldn't.

Cousgrach opened his mouth, but then changed his mind. It would add nothing to the discussion, and he didn't really want to argue. So, instead, he answered Toby's question.

"You can," he said, "but again, it won't fall to the ground." So, it would actually be funny.

So, Impervius was added to the list on the blackboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassirin View Post
"I suppose you could be bald, yeah, or you could always wear your hair tied back. But that's just so someone doesn't take something without you knowing. Pretty sure if they tried to take much more than that, I'd notice." She paused. "My mum used to banish the hair she cleaned out of our hairbrushes, and she did that to old toothbrushes too. Zipped it away so no one could steal it. She's sometimes a little paranoid about weird stuff."

As for his second question... Dot considered it with a head tilt before raising her hand. "Oh, professor!" Best friend. "Could we use a shield spell so we don't have to keep CLEANING everything? Keeps stuff from splashing and burning us too."
Cosgrach chuckled. "I guess you would," he said, "and your mum was wise." Cosgrach had only recently stopped taking such measures . . .

"I'm not... really sure that's how the shield charm works? It doesn't really envelope the... well, whatever it is used on, does it?" So... not really. But Shield Charm was useful in other aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry174 View Post
"How about wingardium leviosa for if there is something wrong with the fire, you can save you potion whilst someone else sorts out the fire that went wrong and then you don't have to restart your potion from scratch."
Cosgrach shook his head. "You can't save the potion by lifting it," he said, "you shouldn't change the fire unless it's in the recipe." Just so she knew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeheeheeny
Julia's post here
Cosgrach listened to her intently. She understood what she was saying but - ugh, why did she have to be such a trusting child?

"No, Sophie," he said, "I don't mean that you should use it every day of your life. What I meant was, it's handy if you think you're in danger. But I agree that fear is very dangerous, and feeds itself." Did he... make sense? Yes? No?

Cosgrach liked the answers he was hearing and it showed on his face: he didn't mind the cobwebs so much now, and looked happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
Safety charms while experimenting
  • Impervius Charm
  • Shield Charm
  • Vanishing Charm
  • Tergeo
  • Containment Charm
  • Extinguishing Spell
  • Bubble-head Charm
  • Scarpin's Revelaspell
Cosgrach looked at the blackboard and nodded to himself.

"The list is almost complete," he said, "I'd like to draw your attention to the bubble-head charm before teaching you a few more new things. While experimenting, we always use it, clear? Always." He paused for them to note bubble-head charm, then began talking again.

"The cardinal rule of experimenting is, of course, knowing. Know your ingredients and potions theory. Have an idea about amounts and opposite materials. Learn. Without having a good knowledge of potions theory and ingredients, none of these spells would save you."

All clear? He didn't expect all of them to become inventors, of course. However, he did want them to have an idea, and he knew a few of them would follow that path.

"Second, learn these spells and the few I'm going to teach in a moment. Third, wear the right clothing etc - the standard procedures. Fourth, use bubble-head charm. Then, do not panic. Panic only adds to the chaos. If you suspect mixing two - or more, the number doesn't matter - ingredients might be dangerous, mix them in another bowl first with small amounts and observe. Proceed with adding them to the main potion only after you're sure they're not dangerous. A good way to ensure that is using lugal again. It cures the effects of most of the magical poisons when eaten, and it changes to green when it contacts with poisonous liquids. Of course, before lugal was rediscovered, you'd use the revelaspell and a few more things, but now the humankind is saved!" Dramatic? No, not according to a potions enthusiast as Cosgrach Culloden.

Quote:
  • KNOW what you are doing
  • Mix suspicious ingredients in another bowl and test with lugal (changes to green if the liquid is poisonous)
  • Aresto momentum liquor: Same wand movement as the 'aresto momentum' (waving wand). Stops a flowing potion. Requires stronger intent.
  • Excito animans: Controls inanimate objects, almost as though it were a puppet. Wand movement is pointing wand at whatever object someone wants to bring to life, and concentrate on that object hard and imagine the object doing what is desired. This is used when you don't want to touch the ingredients. Not necessary, but recommended spell throughout the whole experimenting to avoid contamination.
  • Vitare crepitus: Stops small scale explosions. Cast at the beginning of the every experimentation session. Wand movement is a wide circle around the cauldron.
  • Congregrabit: Vacuums and concentrates poisonous gas in one place to be vanished. Wand movement is drawing an S in the air while pointing the wand at the said vapour. It can also be used to clear the air after an explosion.
He looked at the blackboard, then back at the students.

"You must be familiar with excito animans and aresto momentum itself," he said, either in transfiguration or in charms, he wasn't sure but SOMEWHERE, "so I'll skip those - unless you are really uncomfortable with it." Were they? The younger students maybe? He paused to hopefully see those who could do with some more practice. "Now, let's work on 'vitare crepitus' incantation without wands first. It's vee-tar-ey cré-pee-toos. Vitare crepitus." He gestured at them to repeat it and listened intently to them. Was there a mistake there?.. Hopefully not.

"Now, the wand movement..." He didn't have a cauldron in front of him, but he pretended that there was, and drew a circle over it.

"Now, combine both if you are comfortable with it... you'll see a small flash of white light when cast correctly." THAT was how they would understand.

"And Congregrabit without wands first... it's 'cong-reh-grab-eet'. Congregrabit." He listened to them again. None stood out... "And now the wand movement..." He drew an S at an imaginary vapour, then observed the class.

"Now, here, coloured vapour for you to practise this spell." He shot a good amount of green vapour from his wand. It wasn't poisonous or anything, of course. It was just for them to see if they managed to cast 'congregrabit' correctly. "I'll give you..." He checked his watch, "fifteen minutes to practise every spell you see on the blackboard now. At the end of the fifteen minutes, we'll move onto the main activity which will be an imitation of an experiment. You can use the tap over there for 'aresto momentum liquor'. Older students may help the younger ones and all that." They knew what to do, he bet this wasn't the first time they were practising spells. He sat down on his chair to observe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
The revised list of spells to be practised
  • Impervius Charm
  • Shield Charm
  • Vanishing Charm
  • Tergeo
  • Bubble-head Charm
  • Aresto momentum liquor
  • Vitare crepitus
  • Congregrabit
OOC:
  • Practise the spells in this last 'Blackboard' quote.
  • One post is enough. There is no maximum amount, but please have mercy on my eyes.
  • You can work in pairs or alone.
  • The spells that your characters must practise are 'Vitare crepitus' and 'Congregrabit'. They are welcome to practise the others, but it won't earn you any extra credit.
  • You have about 22-24 hours to finish this part - practically, until I post again and I can't give an exact time for that, so don't worry about the time much. You can also catch up later (for a little less credit).