View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
StarShine
Special Services to the School

DoM
Kappa

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Mona Deandra Hellmann
Gryffindor
First Year
x5 x6
¼ of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pls

Text Cut: Replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer11 View Post
"Bezoar", Janelle said. "You can use bezoar, just in case you accidentally, or not accidentally come into contact with poison." She wasn't sure if the Professor wanted to know what you do to prevent poisoning, but Janelle decided to go with the antidote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry174 View Post
Angel raised her hand. "Professor you can use a bezoar right to get rid of the poison out of your system right."
Cosgrach looked first at Janelle, then Angel since they both said the same thing and nodded at them.

"It doesn't work with everything but it's still very useful," he said - normally, he would also have smiled but he noticed the nose of his shoe was covered with cobwebs just at that moment, so he looked disgusted instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lislchen View Post
"Stay away from people you don't trust." Maggie suggested. "Or at least don't accept any food or drinks." That seemed like a good plan in theory, no?
Oh. THIS was the best answer, truly. Cosgrach pointed at her for everyone to see.

"Magdalena gave the best answer, people," he said, "don't consume anything given by people you don't trust." Though, sometimes even by the people you trusted . . . but that wasn't the point of this class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixir View Post
And then the question came, and Toby let out an audible GAAAASSSPPPPP because he KNEW a good answer for that. It was a measure he'd taken TODAY.

... Of course, Toby had to wait a moment to answer, because in GAAAASSSPPPPPing, he'd ended up inhaling a piece of cobweb. This was not the first time it had happened, either. Lots of coughing happened, but Toby did eventually raised his hand.

"Impervius Charm!"
Gaaaaaaasp?

COUGH? Cosgrach looked at Toby, alarmed. WAS HE OKAY? Oh, okay he was. Good.

"I... don't think that would work with potions," he said and made a face. He wished it was as easy as that, but alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStar View Post
"Sniff test?" Yeah, it would have been better if she would have just stayed silent. She was working on that.
Sniff test?

Cosgrach looked at her. "The brewer has to be an amateur for that to work." Like, mess up big time and all for it to smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samia View Post
"Perhaps a charm that you can cast which indicates the potion is dangerous?" Noel offered. He didn't have any better answer, nope.
"I believe you mean Scarpin's Revelaspell," he said as he pointed at him for the whole class to hear him too, "and that certainly works not only to say it's a poison, but it also shows which ingredients it is composed of." So that certainly went in their list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTiger View Post
“Taste testers,” she said once the question had been made to the class as a whole.
Okay, Cosgrach liked this idea. However, he was a professional professor, so he couldn't really say that.

"I meant that 'you' in general," he said, "like... without hurting a human being, y'know?" He knew she knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Banana View Post
"There's Golpalott's Third Law," she said, raising her hand. "It's really, REALLY confusing, but it teaches us that the antidote to a poison needs to be equal to MORE than what the antidotes to each equal ingredient are." She lowered her hand then looked up at the professor with a really confused expression. "I think I said that the right way..."
"Not exactly what I asked," he said, since he wanted to hear about the ways of protection, "but that's still correct."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader19 View Post
Hmph. "Er... good question. Maybe it's because I've been a bad best friend lately and didn't make him any.'' After class, the Puff would be finding himself in the lab brewing that Potion. Mhmmm.
Hand up, an answer was provided after some of his classmates had replied. "By using an antidote, Professor, such as the Antidote to Common Poisons.'' There was another one but someone else could name that, yes?
A bad friend? Not make him lately? Well, Benny was a capable boy who could brew potions better than Adi, so the man didn't even know why Adi felt the need to brew him one, but he wasn't going to question their friendship dynamics.

"That's right," he said simply. Antidotes, the obvious answer, although . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
Errr. "Just look at the bright side, sir! The cobweb's gone!" Yup. Never mind that a lil' bit of hair went with it; that was the perky outlook on the situation for sure. He beamed at the professor once more before turning and traversing to his seat.
"Acquire a pet phoenix and use its tears to heal any ailments, poison-induced or otherwise." Duuuh.
Cosgrach muttered something under his breath that showed how bright he could look right now. He liked Dima, but he'd like the boy more if he kept his hair intact.

Okay, this was funny, so Cosgrach chuckled.

"Right," he said, "just like that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
"Is there a potion that you can take to prevent bad things happening if you are poisoned?" If there was that could be useful.
"If you know the poison, you can take its antidote. If you don't, you can take a general antidote and hope the best or seek professional help." So there were ways, unless the poison was so potent as to kill on the spot.

While they answered, the blackboard updated itself with the answers they gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
How can you protect yourself against poisons?
Antidote/bezoar
Scarpin's Revelaspell
Pet phoenix
Taste tasters
Smell/general appearance of a liquid or food
. . . and in the end, it added two more answers they didn't give:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboard
Moly
Lugal
"You may have heard of moly," he said, "but lugal is most likely new. First, let me talk about Moly. It's a powerful plant that can be eaten to counteract some dark enchantments and is used in Wiggenweld Potion. Moreover, if a poison requires a spell while brewing, it'll alleviate the effects of it. It's not a real cure and you still need to find the antidote, but it'll help you. You can identify it by its distinctive black stems and white flower."

He let them write it down while he cleaned his shoes that got cobwebs on them, and cleared his throat to address them again.

"'Lugal' means 'king' in Sumerian, a nation that lived in modern Iraq around 3000 BC and as the name indicates, it's a 'king's plant'. It was probably common to poison kings back in those days as well, I don't know, but this plant must have been used to save them. It's a very powerful antidote and I can see some clever wizards earning money with it..." If there had been wizards back then. Who knew? Not this guy! "But over the years, it was forgotten as it became almost extinct due to human greed. They thought it can cure their illnesses, but it only works with magical poisons. It was rediscovered - some 10 years ago. It's a very useful plant." He held it up in his palm for everyone to see. The plant looked like dry, yellow grass; but it was very soft and wet to touch. "You differentiate between regular dry mundane grass and lugal by touching it. Here, let's pass this around for everyone to feel it..." He gave it to the first student next to him.

"Eating a handful is enough, and if you eat too much - like a kilo or something - you start to vomit. Nasty stuff." That would kill someone even if the poison wouldn't. "You can see it in any season in Mesopotamia. Experiments to grow it somewhere else are still going on. So far, they have been successful in Egypt and around as well. It has one more use which I'll mention later."

He paused to take a breath after that loooooong explanation and watched them pass it around for a while, then spoke again.

"Please note that all these fail in a completely dark and very well brewed potion so if you're still suspicious, just don't drink/eat like Magdalena had mentioned earlier. All clear? Completely dark poisons affect too quickly to even blink." He looked at them for that to sink in. "Now, answer this: how can you stop someone taking your hair or another body part to add to a potion?"

OOC: I'll post about 20 hours later again. You don't have to take turns with touching lugal, just assume the previous student passed it to your character.