Thread: The Quill
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Govoni

MO & DMLE
Blast-Ended Skrewt

Hogwarts RPG Name:
Lyric Bayliss-Black
Slytherin
Fourth Year

Ministry RPG Name:
Marilyn Romalotti
Minister's Office

Ministry RPG Name:
Gabriel P. Banner
Law Enforcement
x12 x12
Zombie Apocalypse Team Leader ★ ★ in a crown of pepperoni and artisan cheese

presents
Protecting Against Potions' Disaster
Ingredients, Cauldrons, and Cauldron Care

by Gabriel Banner

When one reflects on potions-making, in the general sense, the first things that come to mind are cauldrons, ingredients, cause and effect, and the dungeons. But that barely scratches the surface of what the subject IS...or what's most important to understand about Potions if you're showing an interest in brewing. You have to respect the rules...and yes, there are rules. They're in place to protect you and everyone else in the vicinity when you're practicing potions-making. Our current Potions master, Professor Culloden, recently reviewed this topic in a special class, but I'm going to outline the first (and most crucial) three. This isn't to say that they aren't ALL important (because that would be a lie), but as with all things, some just ARE.

1. Know your ingredients.

First and foremost, you HAVE to know what you're working with; inside and out, forward, backwards, sideways...and this isn't limited to simply knowing what ingredients go into a potion. In broader terms, it's necessary to understand: where it comes from, what it brings to the brew individually, how it interacts with the other materials being used, and its potency. Also, and this goes without saying, quality and quantity. A little research can go a long way, as to why a certain amount is needed, or if it's required to be FRESH. "Doing your homework", as the muggles say, will ensure success!

This information is also helpful in discerning what type of cauldron you need to be using during the process, what utensils are safe (whether it be wooden, metal, glass, or crystal), and what vials it needs to be stored in.

2. Always clean and inspect your equipment before and after each use.

Over the years, cleaning techniques involving potions and their preparation have been idly standard, with most relying on sound Scouring charms to get their cauldrons ready for brewing. What's important to remember is that Scourgify doesn't clear away all substances. Some take a more aggressive approach, with other abrasive materials being implemented. And after the brewing process is complete, the popular practice is to clear away the rest (after bottling what is needed) and repeat said Scouring charm. Depending on the grade of metal and the condition of its curing, this is either sufficient or dangerously neglectful.

In 2069, former Potions master Valon Kazimeriz lectured on using Scarpin's Revelaspell to reveal if anything was left in ones cauldron (including grime and odors). I've tested it and it works, if anyone was curious. As for stuck-on crud and other hard-to-remove residue, clabbert elbow grease and rottenstone have been noted as effective; with rottenstone being exceedingly abrasive, I'd use it in moderation.

Once your equipment is properly clean, then you can check for defects, rust spots, cracks, etc. Most can be mended, others are most likely ruined and need to be replaced.

3. Always cure your cauldron after each use.

By definition, curing (in the muggle sense) is a chemical process that is used on various materials to cause a physical or molecular change. Temperature, humidity, and pressure can be a factor in this overall process. However, in regards to cauldrons, it's more simplistic than that suggests. To cure a cauldron essentially means to prevent rusting, cracking, and/or general deterioration (from usage) over time. If it's done after every use, your cauldron will stay in much better shape and you won't have to replace it nearly as much. The proper heat and type of curing agent used, like all things, is contingent upon what cauldron you have.

For example, both stone and pewter cauldrons would only need a standard heating and curing; while you'd want to heat and cure copper cauldrons several times over before usage, due to the toxicity of copper alloys. And because brass is such a soft metal, you wouldn't put it to high heat; curing would be necessary, though, as it's a byproduct of copper and zinc. Silver and gold aren't metals I've worked with before, but in theory, silver is more ritualistic in nature: as a metal and as an ingredient. As for curing, I'd imagine it'd need a standard treatment; as with pewter and stone. And about gold cauldrons...I have attitude about them, but this is a personal choice. Save for the fact that it is resistance to corrosion and most other chemical reactions, I think any standard cauldron would be better suited. Unless there's a potion that specifically requires it.

As for curing agents (paste, liquid, etc), there are a few manufacturers in the magical world and it's sold cheap enough...but you can also make your own. The only thing to keep in mind is that some metals react differently to certain things, as I mentioned before. Take a moment to consider whatever cauldron you have. You wouldn't want to use something that could cause a negative reaction (or melt your cauldron).